my hats off to coach cornel thompson

coach thompson and his coaching staff have there kids on the right track and i got a feeling this mustang team my go a long ways this year. as one of the coaches said after the game this was  a great game by both teams to start the season playing a very good LARGE nederland football team and that showed the coaching staff at wo-s that thay can mix it up with the big boys.once the mustangs get back the key players that are hurt thay will be fine. PS sorry for the spelling

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, with the exception of some missed tackles on just a couple of plays, I was extremely impressed with our rushing defense. They were giving up NOTHING for most of the night. We usually give up 2 here, 3 there, but they were getting 0, -1, -2, 0. Were it not for the 2 big runs off of missed tackles, I'm fairly certain they have neg rushing yards. We gave up a few big plays which hurt, but it is correctable. I'm excited about the potential for this defense.

[quote name="skipper" post="1042605" timestamp="1314463192"]
coach thompson and his coaching staff have there kids on the right track and i got a feeling this mustang team my go a long ways this year. as one of the coaches said after the game this was  a great game by both teams to start the season playing a very good LARGE nederland football team and that showed the coaching staff at wo-s that thay can mix it up with the big boys.once the mustangs get back the key players that are hurt thay will be fine. PS sorry for the spelling
[/quote]

who didnt play last night?

[quote name="venom33" post="1042755" timestamp="1314480046"]
[quote author=skipper link=topic=87285.msg1042605#msg1042605 date=1314463192]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I didnt see #5 Thomas......I think thats who he is talking about

[quote name="#1 Manager" post="1043235" timestamp="1314544640"]
[quote author=venom33 link=topic=87285.msg1042755#msg1042755 date=1314480046]
[quote author=skipper link=topic=87285.msg1042605#msg1042605 date=1314463192]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I didnt see #5 Thomas......I think thats who he is talking about
[/quote]

I'm hearing #5, Justin Thomas will not play this year or run track...big loss. He will be playing football at Utah next year. The coaching staff needs to learn to go for blood when your up. This we're going to milk the clock with five minutes left and put it on our defense is not going to work. Most of the same people who play offense, plays defense so they aren't fresh going out there at the end of the game. Only teams that have nearly sixty players should have that mentality.

There is a lot of truth to what THEFREDDAVIS said. We have been dealing with some old coaches who's mentality is we're going to get a three point lead and sit on the ball. We will put it on our defense. That will work if you have 60 players to rotate in and out, but when you have 25 players, how do you think you can do that? Most of the same players you have on offense, are playing defense as well. These players are tired at the end of the game. You need to go for blood when your in the opponents territory. We have lost too many games with this "We will let or defense win it" mentality. Too many freak plays can happen. Coach Thompson and coach Hooks had this mentality and that's why we haven't came close to the state title since 2000. Now I'm not sure if Toby was right for the job because there was a lot of mental blocks he had too. To start, telling kids when they are in the eighth grade that they won't play a down as Freshman,they will go straight to JV. Some of these same players are on the Freshman team and mad because they thought they were automatically going to be on JV and they didn't put in the work to get better. You have to make all these kids earn their spot, not just anoint them as great players.  We were dominating Nederland in this game and there is no reason they shouldn't have lost by two touchdowns or more, but when you allow teams to stay in the game because you're too scared to take chances, then this is the result you will get. Everybody knows that if you don't blow Nederland and PNG away and you use local REfs, they will find a way to give them the win. I liked how the offensive coordinator mixed up his plays last night until the forth quarter. I can bet you coach Thompson told him to start being conservative. I'm hearing the OC went to Thompson trying to get him to use his weapons and start throwing the ball more and he fought against that. Coach Thompson and other older coaches needs to realize that what won for you twenty years ago isn't going to work today. People have built defenses to stop what use to work back then. If you can't mix things up and keep defenses off balance, then you won't go anywhere.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="1043246" timestamp="1314546769"]
There is a lot of truth to what THEFREDDAVIS said. We have been dealing with some old coaches who's mentality is we're going to get a three point lead and sit on the ball. We will put it on our defense. That will work if you have 60 players to rotate in and out, but when you have 25 players, how do you think you can do that? Most of the same players you have on offense, are playing defense as well. These players are tired at the end of the game. You need to go for blood when your in the opponents territory. We have lost too many games
with this "We will let or defense win it" mentality. Too many freak plays can happen. Coach Thompson and coach Hooks had this mentality and that's why we haven't came close to the state title since 2000. Now I'm not sure if Toby was right for the job because there was a lot of mental blocks he had too. To start, telling kids when they are in the eighth grade that they won't play a down as Freshman,they will go straight to JV. Some of these same players are on the Freshman team and mad because they thought they were automatically going to be on JV and they didn't put in the work to get better. You have to make all these kids earn their spot, not just anoint them as great players.  We were dominating Nederland in this
game and there is no reason they shouldn't have lost by two touchdowns or more, but when you allow teams to stay in the game because you're too scared to take chances, then this is the result you will get. Everybody knows that if you don't blow Nederland and PNG away and you use local REfs, they will find a way to give them the win. I liked how the offensive coordinator mixed up his plays last night until the forth quarter. I can bet you coach Thompson told him to start being conservative. I'm hearing the OC went to Thompson trying to get him to use his weapons and start throwing the ball more and he fought against that.
Coach Thompson and other older coaches needs to realize that what won for you twenty years ago isn't going to work today. People have built defenses to stop what use to work back then. If you can't mix things up and keep defenses off balance, then you won't go anywhere.
[/quote]

I think you just described how most football games are lost to teams that don't give up. No credit at all given to the Ned kids. Thanks. I also find it laughable that a WO-S fan is using refereeing as an excuse for losing. 

I saw nothing coachable as the reason you lost. Why not count on your defense when they played like they did. WO-S should be used to playing their players a full 48 minutes. You never have had what I call a full squad. With a 13 point lead and a great defense, I see no problem with working on the clock. That's smart coaching. Sometimes the other team still has some left in the tank.

Typical of some. Coach T had full support to get the job and after one game some are questioning his coaching ability. No patience. They won’t win them all and they will need time to gell.

And yes, Nederland deserves a lot of credit.

[quote name="baddog" post="1043281" timestamp="1314549880"]
I think you just described how most football games are lost to teams that don't give up. No credit at all given to the Ned kids. Thanks. I also find it laughable that a WO-S fan is using refereeing as an excuse for losing. 

I saw nothing coachable as the reason you lost. Why not count on your defense when they played like they did. WO-S should be used to playing their players a full 48 minutes. You never have had what I call a full squad. With a 13 point lead and a great defense, I see no problem with working on the clock. That's smart coaching. Sometimes the other team still has some left in the tank.
[/quote]
Ditto.  Nederland earned this because they stuck it out for four quarters.  Coach T and his staff had a good game plan.  They didn't do anything different in the second half compared to the first half.  The only difference there is the players started having trouble with the center snap exchange, which interrupted the flow of their offense, plus they penalized themselves with some illegal procedure calls.  This put them in too many long yardage situations to move the chains.  That had nothing to do with coaching.  The kids simply lost a little composure.  It was mistakes and lack of execution on our offense, something that is very correctable over time.  You also have to remember that this offense is new.  With more practice and game repetition, they will execute it closer to perfection.  Still, they did a pretty good job executing it Friday night. 

mustangproud, do you think Verrill Young would have done better?  No way.  Also, did you know that Toby Foreman's new team was beaten by Vidor Friday night?  No disrespect intended to Toby whatsoever, but just use these two points in assessing your perspective.  Cornel was/is the right man in the right place.  He will have MANY more W's than L's by the time he hangs it up.  Be patient.   

[quote name="griff" post="1043310" timestamp="1314553129"]
[quote author=baddog link=topic=87285.msg1043281#msg1043281 date=1314549880]

[/quote]
Ditto.  Nederland earned this because they stuck it out for four quarters.  Coach T and his staff had a good game plan.  They didn't do anything different in the second half compared to the first half.  The only difference there is the players started having trouble with the center snap exchange, which interrupted the flow of their offense, plus they penalized themselves with some illegal procedure calls.  This put them in too many long yardage situations to move the chains.  That had nothing to do with coaching.  The kids simply lost a little composure.  It was mistakes and lack of execution on our offense, something that is very correctable over time.  You also have to remember that this offense is new.  With more practice and game repetition, they will execute it closer to perfection.  Still, they did a pretty good job executing it Friday night. 

mustangproud, do you think Verrill Young would have done better?  No way.  Also, did you know that Toby Foreman's new team was beaten by Vidor Friday night?  No disrespect intended to Toby whatsoever, but just use these two points in assessing your perspective.  Cornel was/is the right man in the right place.  He will have MANY more W's than L's by the time he hangs it up.  Be patient. 
[/quote]Well put griff!

Very good post, griff.  I thought Cornel Thompson was the right man during the hiring process for the job and as I sit here today, I am even more convinced he is.  Could he have done some things differently on Friday night? Sure.  Even he admitted to that in the Leader article.

See that is the scary thing, an extremely good coach thinks that he can get better and I can guarantee he is working on it.

In Cornel I trust!!!!

[quote name="griff" post="1043310" timestamp="1314553129"]
[quote author=baddog link=topic=87285.msg1043281#msg1043281 date=1314549880]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Did I say Verril Young was the right man for the job? Where did that come from? I never said Coach T isn't, but as I said Coach T and a lot of older coaches are set in their ways and refuse to realize that the game has evolved. You can't expect to do what you did 30 years ago and win a state championship. As for Toby losing, I've already stated my opinion of him, but the thing that a young coach like Toby do have is the ability to change with the times. Not stay stuck in the 80's. You guys are quick to give these coaches credit when we win, but when we lose, it's the kids fault. Give me a break. If you allow these players to do what they do best and stop taking away their strength which is speed, then they can execute because they are comfortable. I stand by what I said. I think overall the coaches did have a good game plan until they got in Nederland's territory and decided we're going to milk the clock with 5 minutes left. That's too much time left to start that. You were in scoring position...keep the pressure on Nederland to stop you, not making it easy on them by running up the middle with five yards to go. You was killing them by running it wide so running up the middle with a small back shows they wasn't banking on a first down, they went into their our defense will win it mentality. Our defense is good, but if they have been playing all game on offense as well as defense, how are they going to have anything left. Yea, they are going to miss tackles cause they are tired. Nederland you know as well as anybody else that you had no business winning that game, you were getting dominated in every area of the game until we went to milk the clock mode. Bridge city, no one is worried about you.

How did we not have any business winning that game? The problem with some of you WOS fans is you think that no one has any business beating you. Your opponents never win, you simply lost. Whether we were out played the whole game or the last five minutes, whatever it takes to win was done.

Seems to me some of your fans agree with me and griff. It wasn't the coaching. Sometimes you just get beat.....even in five minutes.

He was run out of Palestine because he was determined that the running back was going to do it Thomson's way. Team cratered. New coach came in and let the RB back on the team and ADRIAN PETERSON led them to a state championship. I give him a couple of years and then he goes the way of Clayton at Ozen.

Theres no shame in losing to a team of Nederlands status and excellent coaching they have over twice the # of students and a great staff, I believe one reason those drives werent kept alive has to do with penalties and fumbled snaps, coach cant go on the field and stop those things Iam sure they will be addressed this week. Nederland played the hand they were dealt and did it very well for the win. Congrats

Look everyone we (WOS) lost a game, a great game at that! Yes it had bogus plays and calls but we LOST! It is over now...nederland WON the game no matter what we say or complain about it! So now its time to move on...One game isnt going to make or break a season in the first week haha We showed signs of greatness and signs of weakness so all we have to do is get back to work tomorrow and fix the kinks! I promise you WOS and CORNEL THOMPSON will be fine! And as for BC Ya'll have the same exact team ya'll had last year and believe it or not our defense is better than last! Nobody is impressed that yall blew out a below average opponent friday night haha thats why we play bigger better teams in preseason so when we play teams like yall it will be in our advantage!

[quote name="Gasilla" post="1043508" timestamp="1314571945"]
[quote author=baddog link=topic=87285.msg1043430#msg1043430 date=1314563117]
Your opponents never win, you simply lost.
[/quote]

baddog, you just described most (not all) Ned fans for the last 5 years...
[/quote]

I was wondering when you would join this party. I used to think you were one of those select few that thought your opponents never won. I have since been convinced otherwise.

If we lose, I find correctable mistakes, but still give credit where it is due.

[quote name="mustangproud" post="1043414" timestamp="1314562260"]
Did I say Verril Young was the right man for the job? Where did that come from? I never said Coach T isn't, but as I said Coach T and a lot of older coaches are set in their ways and refuse to realize that the game has evolved. You can't expect to do what you did 30 years ago and win a state championship. As for Toby losing, I've already stated my opinion of him, but the thing that a young coach like Toby do have is the ability to change with the times. Not stay stuck in the 80's. You guys are quick to give these coaches credit when we win, but when we lose, it's the kids fault. Give me a break. If you allow these players to do what they do best and stop taking away their strength which is speed, then they can execute because they are comfortable. I stand by what I said. I think overall the coaches did have a good game plan until they got in Nederland's territory and decided we're going to milk the clock with 5 minutes left. That's too much time left to start that. You were in scoring position...keep the pressure on Nederland to stop you, not making it easy on them by running up the middle with five yards to go. You was killing them by running it wide so running up the middle with a small back shows they wasn't banking on a first down, they went into their our defense will win it mentality. Our defense is good, but if they have been playing all game on offense as well as defense, how are they going to have anything left. Yea, they are going to miss tackles cause they are tired. Nederland you know as well as anybody else that you had no business winning that game, you were getting dominated in every area of the game until we went to milk the clock mode. Bridge city, no one is worried about you.
[/quote]
Since you were/are so critical of Coach T made me remind you of the alternative of what coulda and woulda been...Head Coach Verrill Young.  As for our defense, Coach T is set in his ways and he shouldn't change a thing.  The reason our defense played well Friday night, as in almost every year Cornel has been involved, is because of his SCHEME.  The same scheme he has been using since he took over the defense in the early 80's.  Defense ultimately is the difference when it comes to championship teams.  Don’t touch it.  As for the offense, you can't win with speed alone.  Also, we are not running an offense that was used in the 80’s.  The Pistol is something new to the game of football, and NO ONE is using it in this part of the state.  This year’s version of WO-S does not have the same passing threat as in recent years.  Right now, we are a better running team than passing team.  In the latter part of the game, we hurt ourselves with bad snaps and penalties.  We simply got out of sync and didn’t execute.  That’s what cost us as much as anything.  These are teenagers capable of making mistakes.  None of that has to do with coaching.  Plus, you refuse to credit Nederland for anything.  Even though our defense was hammering them, they did not quit.  We put some good licks on their QB, but that kid kept his composure and hit some good passes at the end.  Don’t you see that?  I hated losing this game as much as you do.  Nederland did what they had to in order to win.  Give them their due and don’t just blame everything on our side.  I’ll say it again…be patient.  We’ll be fine.     

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder