Anthony Oden talks to reporters for 1st time since being at Lamar

Id have to agree with the only comment on the BE site. Why even give him the time of day....he is a loser, and obviously an out of shape loser. Give a more deserving kid some press time. You know the ones who work hard, are ALREADY in shape to finish practices, and HAVEN'T been arrested for not 1 but 2 DUI's....Oden, LU, and BE deserve each other.

Guest EagleFan01
Such anger and hostility folks... The kid is not used to the heat down here lord have mercy you don't even know the kid and yall are throwing him to the wolves... We have guys who have been here there whole life and they are passing out and not making it through practice. I just was reading the blog from a week and a half ago that Jeremy Johnson and Asim Hicks were treated for heat exhaustion its hot here takes some getting used to and Jeremy grew up here and he is still struggling with the heat. Also, whats the big deal about the enterprise doing stories on the kid its a big story for a team like Lamar to get a starter from the SEC lord have mercy you guys need to relax a little, just because there not doing a write up on your friend or brother or cousin or whatever doesn't mean you have to kill this kid he made a mistake forget about it and move on you need to be worried about the season not the fact that a KID made some mistakes in his life who are you to judge him its not like your perfect and never made mistakes....

[quote name="EagleFan01" post="1040438" timestamp="1314242964"]
Such anger and hostility folks... The kid is not used to the heat down here lord have mercy you don't even know the kid and yall are throwing him to the wolves... We have guys who have been here there whole life and they are passing out and not making it through practice. I just was reading the blog from a week and a half ago that Jeremy Johnson and Asim Hicks were treated for heat exhaustion its hot here takes some getting used to and Jeremy grew up here and he is still struggling with the heat. Also, whats the big deal about the enterprise doing stories on the kid its a big story for a team like Lamar to get a starter from the SEC lord have mercy you guys need to relax a little, just because there not doing a write up on your friend or brother or cousin or whatever doesn't mean you have to kill this kid he made a mistake forget about it and move on you need to be worried about the season not the fact that a KID made some mistakes in his life who are you to judge him its not like your perfect and never made mistakes....
[/quote]

Well if/when his 3rd DUI kills your mother, lets see if you have the same opinion of him and the likes of him. After all he is just a KID, so I'm sure you'll find it in your heart to ask him to your home for dinner as a sign you forgive him.  ;)

[quote name="58SHW" post="1040472" timestamp="1314271958"]
[quote author=EagleFan01 link=topic=87085.msg1040438#msg1040438 date=1314242964]
[/quote]

Well if/when his 3rd DUI kills your mother, lets see if you have the same opinion of him and the likes of him. After all he is just a KID, so I'm sure you'll find it in your heart to ask him to your home for dinner as a sign you forgive him.  ;)
[/quote]
I understand ur point of the DUI...but we don't need to be talking about people's mommas... :P

besides..txtng and driving is quickly catching up to DUI/DWI accidents....DO YOU TXT n DRIVE?

Such anger and hostility folks... The kid is not used to the heat down here lord have mercy you don't even know the kid and yall are throwing him to the wolves... We have guys who have been here there whole life and they are passing out and not making it through practice. I just was reading the blog from a week and a half ago that Jeremy Johnson and Asim Hicks were treated for heat exhaustion its hot here takes some getting used to and Jeremy grew up here and he is still struggling with the heat. Also, whats the big deal about the enterprise doing stories on the kid its a big story for a team like Lamar to get a starter from the SEC lord have mercy you guys need to relax a little, just because there not doing a write up on your friend or brother or cousin or whatever doesn't mean you have to kill this kid he made a mistake forget about it and move on you need to be worried about the season not the fact that a [b]KID[/b] made some mistakes in his life who are you to judge him its not like your perfect and never made mistakes....
[/quote]

He is old enough to serve and die for his country and vote which means he is no longer a KID...Just a young man who has been enabled to do what he wants when he wants to by his big brothers money and second, third, and who knows maybe fourth chances from people who believe consequences only apply to people when you dont play a sport.... ::)

Guest EagleFan01
[quote name="kingkat99" post="1040487" timestamp="1314277159"]
[quote author=EagleFan01 link=topic=87085.msg1040438#msg1040438 date=1314242964]
Such anger and hostility folks... The kid is not used to the heat down here lord have mercy you don't even know the kid and yall are throwing him to the wolves... We have guys who have been here there whole life and they are passing out and not making it through practice. I just was reading the blog from a week and a half ago that Jeremy Johnson and Asim Hicks were treated for heat exhaustion its hot here takes some getting used to and Jeremy grew up here and he is still struggling with the heat. Also, whats the big deal about the enterprise doing stories on the kid its a big story for a team like Lamar to get a starter from the SEC lord have mercy you guys need to relax a little, just because there not doing a write up on your friend or brother or cousin or whatever doesn't mean you have to kill this kid he made a mistake forget about it and move on you need to be worried about the season not the fact that a [b]KID[/b] made some mistakes in his life who are you to judge him its not like your perfect and never made mistakes....
[/quote]

your an idiot... You don't even know this young man, you don't know what his brother does for him or doesn't do... I guess you have never drank a beer or two or had a mix drink and then drove anywhere anytime in your life,  guess you have never done anything that was against the law because you are perfect..

He is old enough to serve and die for his country and vote which means he is no longer a KID...Just a young man who has been enabled to do what he wants when he wants to by his big brothers money and second, third, and who knows maybe fourth chances from people who believe consequences only apply to people when you dont play a sport.... ::)
[/quote]

[/quote]the "not used to the heat down here" comment cracks me up...i believe it was around 106 or so a couple weeks ago in arkansas. he's been living there for a couple years. hopefully he turns his life around and helps the cardinals. if he does, he should dominate at this level. it's all up to him. i wish him the best of luck. his road to the nfl just got a little rougher and longer.

[quote name="EagleFan01" post="1040499" timestamp="1314279991"]
[quote author=kingkat99 link=topic=87085.msg1040487#msg1040487 date=1314277159]
[/quote]

your an idiot... You don't even know this young man, you don't know what his brother does for him or doesn't do... I guess you have never drank a beer or two or had a mix drink and then drove anywhere anytime in your life,  guess you have never done anything that was against the law because you are perfect..

[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks for the compliment...Never said I was perfect but there is a big difference in drinkng a beer or two and driving home and I quote from his last infraction in Arkansas "DWI, driving to the left of the center line, failure to yeild the right of way to a emergency vehicle, possession of a controlled substance, and driving with a suspended license(which was suspended for DWI barely a year before....There is a big difference in a young man who messed up and a young man who doesnt care, but maybe being at Lamar will change his attitude...

[quote name="EagleFan01" post="1040485" timestamp="1314275401"]
Im sure he does but I bet he want admit to it because he is perfect.....
[/quote]

Must a liberal Democrat! ;) Everyone does things that may be a bit dangerous when driving, changing radio stations, texting, talks to someone in back seat, sight seeing, drops something and picks it up.....none of which is against the law. See the difference. (t y p e d  v e r y  s l o w  s o  y o u  c a n  u n d e r s t a n d )

Most that are defending this MAN, are concerned with his chances of playing football, he has had chances. What about the last kid to get cut from LU, what about HIS chances? What if he, goes out and becomes a drug addict, or a drunk.....I guess he will be a THUG, cause he wasnt good enough to help LU win a SLC championship.

Like I've said, if/when a family members of yours (any of you supporting this THUG) dies due to someone (Oden or otherwise) driving drunk or drugged, I'm 100% sure your opinion about athorities giving these people multiple chances will change.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1040514" timestamp="1314281828"]
[quote author=EagleFan01 link=topic=87085.msg1040485#msg1040485 date=1314275401]
[/quote]

Must a liberal Democrat! ;) Everyone does things that may be a bit dangerous when driving, changing radio stations, texting, talks to someone in back seat, sight seeing, drops something and picks it up.....none of which is against the law. See the difference. (t y p e d  v e r y  s l o w  s o  y o u  c a n  u n d e r s t a n d )

Most that are defending this MAN, are concerned with his chances of playing football, he has had chances. What about the last kid to get cut from LU, what about HIS chances? What if he, goes out and becomes a drug addict, or a drunk.....I guess he will be a THUG, cause he wasnt good enough to help LU win a SLC championship.

Like I've said, if/when a family members of yours (any of you supporting this THUG) dies due to someone (Oden or otherwise) driving drunk or drugged, I'm 100% sure your opinion about athorities giving these people multiple chances will change.
[/quote]

You get off your high horse.  So I assume any that's accused of breaking the law shouldn't be given anymore chances at anything?  Has Oden been convicted yet?  No, but you believe Lamar and all other colleges should ban him from playing football.  Do you also believe anyone that has a DUI be banned from having a job too?

And so are only you and puddin tane have been calling this guy a thug.  He hasn't robbed and beaten anyone.  Who exactly has he hurt?  I've yet to hear an answer to that question.  Dr. Simmons has done wonders for Lamar so I'll trust him and his judgement on this.  If he feels that the coaching staff shouldn't sign these guys then he'll let the Woodard know, but until that happens I'll support Lamar, Woodard, and the way they are running the program.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1040525" timestamp="1314284226"]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=87085.msg1040514#msg1040514 date=1314281828]
[quote author=EagleFan01 link=topic=87085.msg1040485#msg1040485 date=1314275401]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You get off your high horse.  So I assume any that's accused of breaking the law shouldn't be given anymore chances at anything?  Has Oden been convicted yet?  No, but you believe Lamar and all other colleges should ban him from playing football.  [b]Do you also believe anyone that has a DUI be banned from having a job too?[/b]
And so are only you and puddin tane have been calling this guy a thug.  He hasn't robbed and beaten anyone.  Who exactly has he hurt?  I've yet to hear an answer to that question.  Dr. Simmons has done wonders for Lamar so I'll trust him and his judgement on this.  If he feels that the coaching staff shouldn't sign these guys then he'll let the Woodard know, but until that happens I'll support Lamar, Woodard, and the way they are running the program.
[/quote]

Playing college football is a privilege so comparing that to having a job(which one needs to survive) is weak sauce....and so is the notion of as long as nobody else was hurt who cares what they do...

[quote name="coachacola" post="1040525" timestamp="1314284226"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You get off your high horse.  So I assume any that's accused of breaking the law shouldn't be given anymore chances at anything?  Has Oden been convicted yet?  No, but you believe Lamar and all other colleges should ban him from playing football.  Do you also believe anyone that has a DUI be banned from having a job too?

[/quote]

You get off your high horse.  [color=red]Ah, you mean, lower my standards, nah, I think I'll stick with holding people accountable, and lean more toward giving kids a chance who haven't made CHOICES (it wasn't a mistake, he knowingly CHOSE to get drunk and drive...TWICE)[/color]

So I assume any that's accused of breaking the law shouldn't be given anymore chances at anything?  Has Oden been convicted yet?  No, but you believe Lamar and all other colleges should ban him from playing football.[color=red]Until he proves he didn't do it, yes. If he did (especially TWICE)...it should be over, no doubt.[/color] 

Do you also believe anyone that has a DUI be banned from having a job too?[color=red]A job is not an AMATURE sport, you are not entitled to a job either, but playing sports in HS, and college is definately a privaledge, if you make CHOICES (cause a mistake is in good faith, when a choice goes badly)[/color]

And so are only you and puddin tane have been calling this guy a thug.  He hasn't robbed and beaten anyone.  Who exactly has he hurt?  I've yet to hear an answer to that question. [color=red]So, it takes for him to ACTUALLY hurt or kill someone, ah, so as long as he gets drunck and drives, does drugs, or anyother law breaking event he chooses, but doesn't hurt anyone, its ok[/color]

Dr. Simmons has done wonders for Lamar so I'll trust him and his judgement on this.  If he feels that the coaching staff shouldn't sign these guys then he'll let the Woodard know, but until that happens I'll support Lamar, Woodard, and the way they are running the program.
[color=red]People, Lots and lots and lots of people trusted in "Change we can believe in" also, look where THAT has taken us. For that matter Hitler had lots of believers in what he was doing was the RIGHT thing. Let's just say, I believe in ME, my morals, my judgement, my opinion as to what is right....I don't need you, or Dr. Simmons or Coach Woodard to tell or show me, whats right or wrong[/color]

So now that I've answered your question (perhaps not how you wanted it answered) answer mine...If he gets drunk and drives, and kills one of your family members, will you still defend HIM, LU, DR. SIMMONS, COACH WOODARD?

Here is an idea since this situation means so much to you... Get off of setxsports and take it to Lamar. Because believe it or not, none of us have the power to change a thing about this situation on here. If it means so much, go talk to Dr. Simmons.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1040537" timestamp="1314285474"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=87085.msg1040525#msg1040525 date=1314284226]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You get off your high horse.  [color=red]Ah, you mean, lower my standards, nah, I think I'll stick with holding people accountable, and lean more toward giving kids a chance who haven't made CHOICES (it wasn't a mistake, he knowingly CHOSE to get drunk and drive...TWICE)[/color]

So I assume any that's accused of breaking the law shouldn't be given anymore chances at anything?  Has Oden been convicted yet?  No, but you believe Lamar and all other colleges should ban him from playing football.[color=red]Until he proves he didn't do it, yes. If he did (especially TWICE)...it should be over, no doubt.[/color] 

Do you also believe anyone that has a DUI be banned from having a job too?[color=red]A job is not an AMATURE sport, you are not entitled to a job either, but playing sports in HS, and college is definately a privaledge, if you make CHOICES (cause a mistake is in good faith, when a choice goes badly)[/color]

And so are only you and puddin tane have been calling this guy a thug.  He hasn't robbed and beaten anyone.  Who exactly has he hurt?  I've yet to hear an answer to that question. [color=red]So, it takes for him to ACTUALLY hurt or kill someone, ah, so as long as he gets drunck and drives, does drugs, or anyother law breaking event he chooses, but doesn't hurt anyone, its ok[/color]

Dr. Simmons has done wonders for Lamar so I'll trust him and his judgement on this.  If he feels that the coaching staff shouldn't sign these guys then he'll let the Woodard know, but until that happens I'll support Lamar, Woodard, and the way they are running the program.
[color=red]People, Lots and lots and lots of people trusted in "Change we can believe in" also, look where THAT has taken us. For that matter Hitler had lots of believers in what he was doing was the RIGHT thing. Let's just say, I believe in ME, my morals, my judgement, my opinion as to what is right....I don't need you, or Dr. Simmons or Coach Woodard to tell or show me, whats right or wrong[/color]

So now that I've answered your question (perhaps not how you wanted it answered) answer mine...If he gets drunk and drives, and kills one of your family members, will you still defend HIM, LU, DR. SIMMONS, COACH WOODARD?
[/quote]

If he drives drunk and kills someone I won't defend him and would hope he gets put away, but I won't blame Lamar, Dr. Simmons or Coach Woodard if he does.  They are giving him another chance to get an education and possibly a career in the NFL, I don't see how that is contributing to him driving drunk, which is what you are implying.  He hasn't killed or hurt anyone yet, but for you that's a forgone conclusion, and probably why you keep calling him a thug.

He's going to get his day in court, and he'll be punished by the legal system.  You obviously don't think that's enough and believe that no school should give him he chance to play football.  I'm not sure how that will improve his life and make him a better person but you do have "higher standards" than the rest of us.

Playing college football is a privilege, and Lamar gave that privilege to Oden.  I understand you not agreeing with it, but that's their call, and I support them on this.  My support would end if they were taking robbers, muggers, etc., otherwise I have nothing against guys like Oden on the team.

[quote name="58SHW" post="1040472" timestamp="1314271958"]
[/quote]

[/quote]Can't see how being on the football team has anything to do with whether he is dangerous or not.  Or maybe you'd like to lock him and anyone else who does something dangerous up for life.  I'll let the Fayetteville authorities decide that.

[quote name="coachacola" post="1040568" timestamp="1314288574"]
[quote author=58SHW link=topic=87085.msg1040537#msg1040537 date=1314285474]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=87085.msg1040525#msg1040525 date=1314284226]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If he drives drunk and kills someone I won't defend him and would hope he gets put away, but I won't blame Lamar, Dr. Simmons or Coach Woodard if he does.  They are giving him another chance to get an education and possibly a career in the NFL, I don't see how that is contributing to him driving drunk, which is what you are implying.  He hasn't killed or hurt anyone yet, but for you that's a forgone conclusion, and probably why you keep calling him a thug.

He's going to get his day in court, and he'll be punished by the legal system.  You obviously don't think that's enough and believe that no school should give him he chance to play football.  I'm not sure how that will improve his life and make him a better person but you do have "higher standards" than the rest of us.

Playing college football is a privilege, and Lamar gave that privilege to Oden.  I understand you not agreeing with it, but that's their call, and I support them on this.  [u][b]My support would end if they were taking robbers, muggers, etc., otherwise I have nothing against guys like Oden on the team.[/b][/u][/quote]

What about those who beat up on women? Is that ok, I didnt see that on your list, they've pick up 2 of those, that we know of.

No where did I say my "standards" are higher than ANYONE elses, just high enough to let kids who make [u]good[/u] CHOICES get the chance BEFORE someone who makes [u]bad[/u] CHOICES.

58SHW, everybody knows where you stand on this.  I respect your right to have an opinion and to express it.  I believe it is a risk, how much I don't have a clue, but still a risk to take him.  Like Coachacola, I am trusting Woodard & co on the decision they made and on their ability to help this young man make a change in his life.  I hope he does for his sake, whether he turns out to be a star player or not.  By the tone of your emails, it appears you have had very close personal experience with drinking and driving and the tragic effects that it can have.  I have experienced the same thing about 16 years ago with some very close personal friends.  It is a painful and tragic thing to go through.  I just don't see where Oden could be classified as a thug because of this, it doesn't classify as thug behavior.  Irresponsible and reckkless yes.  I hope young Mr. Oden matures while here at Lamar and in Beaumont.

[quote name="Le Sgt Rey (French)" post="1040815" timestamp="1314318464"]
I say we all get together and talk about in person....over a beer... ;D
[/quote]
There you go adding to the problem.  ;D  Now Lamar will have to get rid of all of there fans.
Just my two cents, but playing college football is not just a privilege.  It is a JOB.  A lot of these people are getting a full ride on their education.  I can't speak for everyone but I had to WORK to pay for my education.    So these athletes are getting paid.  If they do not perform their scholarship  can be taken from them. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami