Nederland AD hires new basketball assistant coach

[quote name="team first" post="1033892" timestamp="1313094785"]
Mos u brought me into these post, I never once responded to u until u brought me into this, by quoting me.
And I never once said smith, I said a basketball guy. Be it smith is the best or whoever.
Ned is the only school that doesn't have a basketball asst coach from the start of the season in the district

Point blank that is not rt.  
[/quote]

I quoted you to give you an answer. Is that not what you wanted on a message board?

I said Smith because 1.) People posting on this thread were petitioning for him and 2.)I just used him as an example to show some of the variables that come into play when hiring teacher/coaches.

I'm sorry to hear that Ned is the only school to have this problem. While I have trouble believing that to be true in the entire state of Texas, I'll offer you this... Walker was hired because he best fulfilled the needs of all athletes and the district. Not to sabotage the basketball success or shaft the freshman basketball team. What about the other sports that have coaches that are not specialized in that sport including football? I guess that is point blank not right either.

Waiting to hear your thoughts I missed, Honest Abe.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033896" timestamp="1313095760"]
Something else to consider that has not been brought up yet. MOST 4A and 5A high school's have either 4 or 5 coaches who coach basketball. Most also have a full time assistant. Nederland has 3!
[/quote]

Great point. We should approach the school board on seeing if we can provide a stipend for more assistants.

Now, what were you saying I was not listening to you about again? I'd like to know.

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033902" timestamp="1313096595"]
[quote author=team first link=topic=86369.msg1033901#msg1033901 date=1313096522]
But u are wrong
[/quote]

You've yet to prove otherwise.

Still waiting on Abe.
[/quote]

People don't get on this board to prove anything. I don't know how else to say this for the 3rd time...this is an opinion board. We r not on here to prove anything. People want their voices heard, and this board provides that desire. But u get on here and basically demand everyone to agree with you or else...Not sure what U are trying to prove?

The best thing that could have be done is to give the position to Coach Smith so the school board wouldn't have to worry about this problem for a good while! Coach English is a great coach, but this "molding" business being brought up is ridiculous.. The whole point is, the Nederland basketball faithful and upcoming parents of future players want to see coaches with their kids that enjoy basketball, not some football coach being told he has to because of budget issues.. Anyone close to the program can see that English is putting too much extra work into the under levels, that could be used for his varsity team.. The two sport coaching Mosley said about Robbins is a different story.. He is a coach who enjoys both sports and has a passion for it.. The basketball people in Nederland are tired of getting coaches for basketball that could care less about it, which is what happens EVERY TIME..

Last thing I'm going to say...Back-to-back district champs.. Start treating them like it

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033905" timestamp="1313096920"]
People don't get on this board to prove anything. I don't know how else to say this for the 3rd time...this is an opinion board. We r not on here to prove anything. People want their voices heard, and this board provides that desire. But u get on here and basically demand everyone to agree with you or else...Not sure what U are trying to prove?
[/quote]

Not sure what you are trying to prove by posting some of the posts you've made. What's the point? If I get on here and post Coach English sucks then obviously I would look like an absolute idiot as that would be entirely false. I haven't demanded anyone agree with me. Besides reading Neumann is a dictator and wants to sabotage the basketball success I can't get anyone to provide any reasoning on their opinion. Let's look at one of your posts that I addressed.

[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1032135#msg1032135 date=1312691032]
[b]Neumann is clearly envious of the success and attention of the basketball program[/b].  The sad thing is that [b]the kids are the one's who will suffer most from this.[/b] Do you think he would [b]hire a defensive line coach to coach his QBs?[/b] I think not. He has an ex-QB at that position who is also the OC.
You are right, he may be a good football coach, [b]but he is NOT a good AD[/b].      A good AD is one who helps [b]each kid thrive in every sport[/b], not just football! The problem in Nederland is that Everyone is afraid of Neumann, including administrators. They were not innocent in this hire. They sat by and watched this take place and allowed [b]Neumann to continue his dictatorship[/b]!!
We all need to bring this atrocity [b]to our school board. If we don't, then nothing will EVER change[/b]!!
[/quote]

.Envious or proud? I think everyone in Nederland that attends bball games (including Neumann) takes pride in the work Coach English has done.

.How so? Wouldn't the girl's suffer? or the science position? or the baseball position? or the football position?

.How about an ex Ned graduate and ex ULL pitcher in Coach Cody Robbins (also boy's baseball HC) to coach RB's? That's just one easy example.

.Please, our sports are doing incredibly better.

.See 2nd bullet.

.That's just hilarious.

.You're right, we do. Just not to address Neumann's nonexistent dictatorship. We need a board with a vision for Nederland that wants the best for all students, athletes, and teachers alike.
[/quote]

Now, this is a post you made. Am I in the wrong and trying to "prove" something by replying and stating how utterly ridiculous and off base your post is? Am I in the wrong and trying to "prove" something by presenting potential variables and obstacles that led to Coach Smith not getting the job at this current point in time? Please, share with me what I am missing that you keep talking about. If you want to get on here and have an irrational bash posting session on a Coach/AD then go right ahead. Just don't be surprised when someone begins calling you out and giving rational opinions and thoughts about the subject in this thread that contradicts your babble.

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1033906" timestamp="1313096968"]
The best thing that could have be done is to give the position to Coach Smith so the school board wouldn't have to worry about this problem for a good while! Coach English is a great coach, but this "molding" business being brought up is ridiculous.. The whole point is, the Nederland basketball faithful and upcoming parents of future players want to see coaches with their kids that enjoy basketball, not some football coach being told he has to because of budget issues.. Anyone close to the program can see that English is putting too much extra work into the under levels, that could be used for his varsity team.. The two sport coaching Mosley said about Robbins is a different story.. He is a coach who enjoys both sports and has a passion for it.. The basketball people in Nederland are tired of getting coaches for basketball that could care less about it, which is what happens EVERY TIME..

Last thing I'm going to say...Back-to-back district champs.. Start treating them like it
[/quote]

Once again, he's not a "football coach." His background is baseball. The reasoning behind Walker's hire has been explained numerous times just read it. Gilchrest is a very experienced basketball assistant is he not?? I just don't think some on here are looking at the entire reasoning. They see Smith and think that he can just switch to boy's asst. and nothing else is effected. That's not the case. And who says Smith won't have the opportunity to move next year if right combination opens up?

Are u referring to the 2 games he attended last yr? Yes, that proves he is proud.

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033916" timestamp="1313097697"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1033905#msg1033905 date=1313096920]
[/quote]

Not sure what you are trying to prove by posting some of the posts you've made. What's the point? If I get on here and post Coach English sucks then obviously I would look like an absolute idiot as that would be entirely false. I haven't demanded anyone agree with me. Besides reading Neumann is a dictator and wants to sabotage the basketball success I can't get anyone to provide any reasoning on their opinion. Let's look at one of your posts that I addressed.

[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1032135#msg1032135 date=1312691032]
[b]Neumann is clearly envious of the success and attention of the basketball program[/b].  The sad thing is that [b]the kids are the one's who will suffer most from this.[/b] Do you think he would [b]hire a defensive line coach to coach his QBs?[/b] I think not. He has an ex-QB at that position who is also the OC.
You are right, he may be a good football coach, [b]but he is NOT a good AD[/b].      A good AD is one who helps [b]each kid thrive in every sport[/b], not just football! The problem in Nederland is that Everyone is afraid of Neumann, including administrators. They were not innocent in this hire. They sat by and watched this take place and allowed [b]Neumann to continue his dictatorship[/b]!!
We all need to bring this atrocity [b]to our school board. If we don't, then nothing will EVER change[/b]!!
[/quote]

.Envious or proud? I think everyone in Nederland that attends bball games (including Neumann) takes pride in the work Coach English has done.

.How so? Wouldn't the girl's suffer? or the science position? or the baseball position? or the football position?

.How about an ex Ned graduate and ex ULL pitcher in Coach Cody Robbins (also boy's baseball HC) to coach RB's? That's just one easy example.

.Please, our sports are doing incredibly better.

.See 2nd bullet.

.That's just hilarious.

.You're right, we do. Just not to address Neumann's nonexistent dictatorship. We need a board with a vision for Nederland that wants the best for all students, athletes, and teachers alike.
[/quote]

Now, this is a post you made. Am I in the wrong and trying to "prove" something by replying and stating how utterly ridiculous and off base your post is? Am I in the wrong and trying to "prove" something by presenting potential variables and obstacles that led to Coach Smith not getting the job at this current point in time? Please, share with me what I am missing that you keep talking about. If you want to get on here and have an irrational bash posting session on a Coach/AD then go right ahead. Just don't be surprised when someone begins calling you out and giving rational opinions and thoughts about the subject in this thread that contradicts your babble.
[/quote]

[quote name="Honest Abe" post="1033918" timestamp="1313098095"]
Are u referring to the 2 games he attended last yr? Yes, that proves he is proud.
[/quote]

Wrong again...

I think we are progressing though. Maybe next time we can get 2 bullets acknowledged.

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033917" timestamp="1313098058"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=86369.msg1033906#msg1033906 date=1313096968]

[/quote]

Once again, he's not a "football coach." His background is baseball. The reasoning behind Walker's hire has been explained numerous times just read it. Gilchrest is a very experienced basketball assistant is he not?? I just don't think some on here are looking at the entire reasoning. They see Smith and think that he can just switch to boy's asst. and nothing else is effected. That's not the case. And who says Smith won't have the opportunity to move next year if right combination opens up?
[/quote]

He is knowledgeable and passionate about the sport.. There wouldn't even be an argument on this site if the Basketball program could get something like that..

Maybe this new guy is the assistant coach English has been looking for.. But what he has gotten in the past doesn't look good for the future.. Why not hire some guy who English shares an office with and has built a good relationship with for some years now? I guess that makes too much sense.. Im sure you could get another girls basketball head coach

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1033921" timestamp="1313098682"]
Maybe this new guy is the assistant coach English has been looking for.. But what he has gotten in the past doesn't look good for the future.. Why not hire some guy who English shares an office with and has built a good relationship with for some years now? I guess that makes too much sense.. Im sure you could get another girls basketball head coach
[/quote]

So is shafting the girls with the 2 most experienced coaches on the boys squad fair? What about all the other conditions I've presented. I'm just not seeing the argument here. Its like some on here think Coach Neumann deliberately hired a baseball background coach for a science, freshman basketball, freshman football, baseball role to sabotage the basketball's success.  How does Coach Neumann benefit by denying Coach Smith's desire to move? Don't you think if it were possible for it to all work out that Coach Neumann would put Smith as the boy's asst.?

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033922" timestamp="1313098988"]
[quote author=dogs1218 link=topic=86369.msg1033921#msg1033921 date=1313098682]
[/quote]

So is shafting the girls with the 2 most experienced coaches on the boys squad fair? What about all the other conditions I've presented. I'm just not seeing the argument here. Its like some on here think Coach Neumann deliberately hired a baseball background coach for a science, freshman basketball, freshman football, baseball role to sabotage the basketball's success.  How does Coach Neumann benefit by denying Coach Smith's desire to move? Don't you think if it were possible for it to all work out that Coach Neumann would put Smith as the boy's asst.?
[/quote]

Would it be safe to assume that the entire football coaching staff has a football background?

[quote name="stevenash" post="1033923" timestamp="1313099793"]
[quote author=Mmosley07 link=topic=86369.msg1033922#msg1033922 date=1313098988]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Would it be safe to assume that the entire football coaching staff has a football background?
[/quote]

You better believe it

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033919" timestamp="1313098311"]
[quote author=Honest Abe link=topic=86369.msg1033918#msg1033918 date=1313098095]
[/quote]

Wrong again...

I think we are progressing though. Maybe next time we can get 2 bullets acknowledged.
[/quote]

Wrong about the 2 games? I don't think so. That's a cold hard fact...

[quote name="Mmosley07" post="1033922" timestamp="1313098988"]
[/quote]

So is shafting the girls with the 2 most experienced coaches on the boys squad fair? What about all the other conditions I've presented. I'm just not seeing the argument here. Its like some on here think Coach Neumann deliberately hired a baseball background coach for a science, freshman basketball, freshman football, baseball role to sabotage the basketball's success.  How does Coach Neumann benefit by denying Coach Smith's desire to move? [color=red]Don't you think if it were possible for it to all work out that Coach Neumann would put Smith as the boy's asst.?[/color]
[/quote]

Absolutely not. Coach Neumann will never put Coach Smith in boys basketball. Jusy my opinion, but an opinion that is shared by many.

Still failing to see what I'm saying. I've watched Coach Smith coach my sisters in basketball games. Why would Coach Neumann benefit by not allowing a coach that demands hardwork, teamwork, and accountability to fulfill as asst. role?

Let's look at Coach Smith's primary responsibility - Girls Head Basketball Coach.  I'm not sure if he is certified to teach but I know he can coach so I'll leave out any teaching credentials he may have as I do not know.

Let's look at Coach Walker's responsibilities - Science teacher, Freshman/asst. basketball, Freshman football, and baseball (not sure on level).

Now, let's move Coach Smith to boy's assistant thus freeing up his position and eliminating the need for a Freshman/asst. basketball coach.

Now Walker has - Science teacher, football, baseball.

But the Head girls basketball coaching position is still open and Coach Smith cannot fill a teaching role.

So in order to make all this work an entirely new position needs to be created. If that's what we need to get Coach English the help he needs to take our basketball team to new heights then I say we do it. If that's what English needs to excel then we should go to the board and seek that a new position be created. But suggesting Neumann is a dictator, envious of English, and made this decision to hurt English is completely untrue. Why would Neumann be against hiring a new basketball oriented coach to help our basketball team?? The hiring of Walker is what best helped satisfy the district's needs. Maybe this breakdown makes better sense and I've failed to explain it well.

What if we let Coach Walker learn under Coach English and we can switch Walker to Girl's HC. I think this would hurt the Girl's team but it seems that's all we care about and it would allow Smith to fulfill the boys asst. role. and Walker could remain Science teacher and all the other many responsibilities he has.

All of these areguments are moot.  While some of the lecturing has become tiresome, Mmosley is right, the AD can only hire coaches within the constraints of the teaching positions that are provided to him by the administration.  Period.  And the fact is that J. Walker is a very attractive commodity to a principal and AD because he teaches science.  There are very few coaches that can teach science and math and getting someone who can teach science and coach three sports is a huge asset to an AD.  Once you do that a sport is going to get short changed and speaking objectively, basketball was it in this hire.  

With that said, I seriously doubt that Neumann did that just to torpedo the basketball program.  I would bet anyone that Walker filled several needs and fit within the budgetary requirements Neumann had to work with.  End of story.  Plus, at this late in the year, it is way easier to fill a freshman football / assistant basketball / assistant baseball position than it is to find a new girls head coach.  

I am sure that coach Smith is disappointed, but he probably understands all of the moving parts and implications of what happened way more than some of the people on this board do.

How bout when smith was out of head girls basketball coach? What ur excuse that he wasn't put on boys basketball then?

I know I know, it wasn't best for football, wait, I mean Ned budget

Oh I am sure neuaman could teach walker to be a great head coach, groom him. Heck he would have all year, not just months like english will have to groom him

To Mmosley07,
In an earlier post, you stated [b]"If we go back a bit and ask the School Board members you'll find that Coach Neumann and Coach English approached the board to get split block scheduling for boys and girls basketball so that they could meet everyday."[/b]

Coach Neumann was deadset against the everyday basketball class. It was only approved when the school board went against his wishes and forced it to happen.

[quote name="dogs1218" post="1033906" timestamp="1313096968"]

[b]Last thing I'm going to say...Back-to-back district champs.. Start treating them like it[/b][/quote]

Beautiful!!!!

[quote name="Basketball 2016" post="1033817" timestamp="1313087042"]
As others have posted I agree that Coach English can teach and mold this assistant. But how long will this take...and how much time will it take him away from the varsity while he has to constantly be molding the assistant. I think the point is wouldn't it be much easier to mold an assistant if they at least were knowledgeable about the sport. It is wonderful that coaches are also classroom teachers. I get it. But would you put this science teacher in a classroom teaching math??....Then simply put why would you put him in a coaching position he knows nothing about??
[/quote]

Well said!!!