New US men's soccer coach

Can someone please explain why the USA would hire a non-USA citizen to coach the men's USA soccer team? The new coach is named Jurgen Klinsmann (from Deutschland). He's probably a great coach, etc, etc. Just confused about a non-US citizen coaching our National Team??? Is this common in Soccer?

Because it is Jurgen Klinsmann.  He was a star of the German National team and won a World Cup championship as a player with the West German team in 1990.  He coached the German team to a 3rd place finish in the 2006 World Cup.  In other words, HE IS GOOD! In fact, this marks the second time that USA Soccer has tried to hire him as coach.

As for whether it is common, I'll yield to those here who know more about soccer.  However, when someone who me who doesn't follow soccer recognizes it as a big hire, that should tell you something.

Ya, I knew he has previous success, and I'm sure he's a great coach and asset to the team. The fact that he is not a US citizen really threw me off... I don't see their men's basketball team hiring Phil Jackson to be the coach for their National B-ball team. U know what I mean?

yes, it's very common, and in this case, most likely a great move for the US men's team.  As a matter of fact, the US women team's coach is Pia Sudhage, who is an all-time great from Sweden.  Even though he's from Germany, Klinsman is still a coach, and he's taking a coaching job.  he doesn't have to be from the US to excel, and in fact will likely bring a fresh outlook and proven tactics that the US badly needs.  The US has repeatedly hired mediocre coaches from the US, and although they've improved, they haven't come as far as they should.  Hopefully this change will help them take that next step.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="Hupernikomen" post="1029647" timestamp="1312048881"]
It is best to learn brain surgery from a successful brain surgeon.  Until U.S. has some success, they will need to look to the outside to show us the way.  Klinsmann certainly falls into that category.  
[/quote]

Ditto... You have to have a been there done that mentality for this job... The Europeans are way ahead of us in this category... Well just today Real Madrid signed a 7 yr Kid...why?  They are thinking out of the box. This is their sport.. ours is the NFL, NBA or MLB..  this is what they do. and do it well.

Which brings us to the bigger struggle to winning World Cups and such... our top athletes  do not play soccer for the most part.. not to say Landon Donovan is not a superior athlete.. I would put his fitness against any other of our major sports figures but.. from a pure size, speed equation and maybe not from just a physical make up ( I am debating myself)  maybe it is more from experience  coupled with athleticism...

Which brings me to my other point unrelated to this topic.. The women have more success because they do not have a more powerful entity ( money maker) drawing the best female athletes away from soccer... Therefore they win  or contend for more championships.

Good hire... no doubt

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder