Vidor Football Outlook ??

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="liltex" post="1025057" timestamp="1310756078"]
Games more often than not are not decided always by size or speed,but teamwork/heart ;)
[/quote]

You're right intangibles like, courage, determination, confidence and the will to win are very important assets that can't be measured with a stopwatch, weight scale or tape measure but are essential to having a winning team.

[quote name="liltex" post="1025057" timestamp="1310756078"]
Games more often than not are not decided always by size or speed,but teamwork/heart ;)
[/quote]go pick a fight with brock lesnar and let me know how that goes. the pirates have never lacked for teamwork or heart under matthews....i will guarantee you that buddy. ;)

If there is any quality we admire about Vidor football, and all sports in general, it is their heart, fight and determination. No doubt the team displays those qualities every year and it is thus that keeps them competitive and in the game.  However, without the size, there is only so much pounding one can take before the body wears down. 

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="aDIDBAdad" post="1025077" timestamp="1310762130"]
If there is any quality we admire about Vidor football, and all sports in general, it is their heart, fight and determination. No doubt the team displays those qualities every year and it is thus that keeps them competitive and in the game.  However, without the size, there is only so much pounding one can take before the body wears down. 
[/quote]
You are right but i've got five words for you my friend.

"Yo Adrian, I DID IT!!!!"

Nuff said.

[quote name="shovelhead" post="1024965" timestamp="1310734449"]
[quote author=Piratefan23 link=topic=84563.msg1024941#msg1024941 date=1310708286]
[quote author=ndnsrock44 link=topic=84563.msg1024910#msg1024910 date=1310699406]
When Haggequist(sp?) was QB Vidor spread it out and threw the ball around. Maybe he has gone to the Slot T because he thinks that is what fits his personnel best with the talent he has had the past few seasons......Haggequist played fairly recently. I agree with bigdog, Matthews is very respected by the coaches in this area and has done a good job at Vidor. Vidor football was pretty dismal before they hired Matthews. They have a lot better program now than they did for decades before he got there. Just my two cents from an outside observer.
[/quote]

Coach Mathews cannot be judged by just the record of the football team. You may judge him by the overall improvement of Vidor Athletics as a whole. We may not be a juggernaut but the between the other sports be it girl's basketball or boy's baseball the programs have improved since Mathews has taken over.
[/quote]

I think Coach Matthews should be judged by the integrity of his program and the behavior/actions of his student athletes. Judging by the few players I have spoken with, they are very respectful young men and speak highly of Coach Matthews. The win-loss record is secondary in my book.
[/quote]Good post and I agree that Matt is a great guy and good for the kids, but, there are TONS of great coaches out there and they are great for and with the kids they coach.  if Vidor stays with the same staff they will see the same results.  JMO.  They will have to decide if their love for Matthews is greater  than wanting to go to next level...Just saying.

I would rather have Coach Mathews than have a winning season.  You see in the end, winning isn't everything.  Respect, courage, determination, hard work...is what gets these kids through life.  Our coach has taught these boys and girls and our town that there is much more to life than winning.  Sure it's fun to make the playoffs and it would be fun to go all the way, but you can't take away what coach has done for the athletics in our school district.  IMO...I could care less if we never make another playoff run as long as we have a coach that teaches our children how to be respectful young gentlemen and ladies!!!

[quote name="DVILLE-GORILLA" post="1025753" timestamp="1310959704"]
I agree.  Make no changes.  And I'm sure the rest of District 4A would agree.
[/quote]

I think most defenses in the district have a game plan to stop Vidor's slot-t offense right now, so it's up to the OC to counter that defensive game plan and ad some variance to his offense, for instance if the OC figure's out that the defense is playing an assignment type defense then a good OC will figure out the defensive assignments and adjust his blocking schemes accordingly.

I think most folks would agree that Vidor needs to put the ball in the air more in order to keep the defenses from stacking the box, this is a function of talent and practice more than anything else, in other words do you have decent Receivers. I believe Vidor does, secondly can your QB throw the ball..since I don't know who the QB will be I can't answer that question right now, but more importantly does the OL have the talent/technique to protect that QB.

If the Pirates would practice on the O-lines ability to protect and the Quarter backs ability to throw, then they would know the types of throws that will work, hey folks it don't have to look pretty, (you don't win a game on style points) it just needs to be a completion, I would like to see Vidor throw some screens, play actions, boots and sprint outs, or maybe just a few pop passes and quick's from their veer sets.

The quality of the passing game is more important than the quantity of passes thrown!

Keep It simple.....The more efficient you are, the more you move the chains and score points!

GO PIRATES!!!

[quote name="VPirate" post="1025815" timestamp="1310998343"]
[quote author=DVILLE-GORILLA link=topic=84563.msg1025753#msg1025753 date=1310959704]
I agree.  Make no changes.  And I'm sure the rest of District 4A would agree.
[/quote]

I think most defenses in the district have a game plan to stop Vidor's slot-t offense right now, so it's up to the OC to counter that defensive game plan and ad some variance to his offense, for instance if the OC figure's out that the defense is playing an assignment type defense then a good OC will figure out the defensive assignments and adjust his blocking schemes accordingly.

I think most folks would agree that Vidor needs to put the ball in the air more in order to keep the defenses from stacking the box, this is a function of talent and practice more than anything else, in other words do you have decent Receivers. I believe Vidor does, secondly can your QB throw the ball..since I don't know who the QB will be I can't answer that question right now, but more importantly does the OL have the talent/technique to protect that QB.

If the Pirates would practice on the O-lines ability to protect and the Quarter backs ability to throw, then they would know the types of throws that will work, hey folks it don't have to look pretty, (you don't win a game on style points) it just needs to be a completion, I would like to see Vidor throw some screens, play actions, boots and sprint outs, or maybe just a few pop passes and quick's from their veer sets.

The quality of the passing game is more important than the quantity of passes thrown!

Keep It simple.....The more efficient you are, the more you move the chains and score points!

GO PIRATES!!!

[/quote]

Great Post...  Hopefully the QB situation will be cleared up soon.  Of the two they are working with, one has a better arm and the other has more speed.  Either way the coaches go these boys can run the offense.

Good Luck PIRATES

Ive been around the program for many years. Been to practices, talked to coaches behind the scenes, etc and I can tell you that no program works the kids harder than Coach Matthews. Period.  The Pirates have a great AD in Matthews. Nobody loves the kids more than him.  He is the kind of guy that any school would want at the head of an athletic department.  He is a great motivator and gets all he can out of the kids.  However, he is way too devoted to the offense that he runs.  Until there is a change in offensive philosophy, nothing will change at Vidor.  You dont have to have huge linemen to win, even though it helps. You have to have coaches that are smart enough to see the talent they have and adjust their mindset in order to get the most of that talent.  Vidor produces good kids. Respectful, caring, etc...but lets face it, they keep score on Friday nights for a reason.  And we go to those games for a reason, we want to win.  Not at any cost.  We dont want our coaches to cheat in order to win, we dont want our kids to play dirty to win.  I dont think anybody has said that Vidor does any of those things because Matthews runs a quality program.  Im not bashing Matthews, by any means.  Great guy. Loves the kids. Challenges the kids.  But until things change offensively, Vidor will go to the playoffs every decade or so. 

You guys always amuse me on this board. Playing for Coach Mathews and working on my degree I have a new found respect for what that man and his coaching staff does. I have had the privilege to work at neighboring school and see firsthand what these coaches do. They are a program that has been in the playoffs the last few years, but I can tell you from firsthand experience they do not put the time or the planning into their program as Coach Mathews does. Plain and simple they have better athletes. With that said I have always thought that our offense gives us the best chance to win. It controls the clock and wears down the opposing team. For you guys that want to fling or so called spread it out you must have better athletes to do this to be successful. I will never take anything away from our athletes; they are simply not as fast and not as big. Their work ethic is a hundred times better than the kids at the school I am at, but they are just not as fast. The spread offense is designed to spread the defense out and create one on one matchups. (Yes I learned this in a class that I took at school). My question would be why we would want to spread it out to create one on one matchups when the guy on the other side is a better athlete. The slot-t offense is designed to give a team who is not as athletic a chance to compete. All the misdirection’s have plays that co-inside with them. Basically the defense sees the same action but a different play. Before you ask me, the answer is yes. If Vidor practiced and worked on the spread offense we could run it, BUT would it give us the best opportunity to win. You must look at it from both sides of the ball. Vidor's offense makes an unathletic defense a lot better. The clock continues to run which allows for our boys to defend a lot less plays. You guys all have the right to your opinion, but do a little research and see what you come up with.

I don't think Vidor needs to change their offensive system to be successful, they just need to be efficient in their passing game, which can be done out of the various slot-t formations, I mean come on Liberty Hill threw 22 passes in 16 games on their way to the State title in 07.
With the slot-t offense the lack of a passing game can kill you, I'm not saying Vidor has to be a balanced offense, that's unrealistic because the slot-t is a run heavy offense, but on the other hand pass can't be a 4 letter word in the playbook..wait pass is a 4 letter word..well you know what I mean. ;D

Guest Jaguar-J
I think Vidor runs the Slot-T very effectively but Livinston being in the same district has hurt Vidor. IM NOT KNOCKING VIDOR .I just think that teams in 20-4A have had more prep time for this offense since there are 2 teams running it.

Does V-town have the runningbacks ? Yep

Do they have the line ?    ?????????????

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder