Vidor Football Outlook ??

[quote name="BrenhamFan" post="1024181" timestamp="1310536763"]
[quote author=liltex link=topic=84563.msg1024115#msg1024115 date=1310517667]
Not disagreeing w/ya but Dayton has had a back or 2 doing 4.3 recently.Sucker was every bit of 4'3 :D ;D
[/quote]

The Washington twins we had 3 years ago ran a 4.3 and I'm sure Soulja remembers Huntsville's Justin Gilbert from the playoff game a couple years ago.

All 3 of those guys were true 4.3's, but it's not something you see very often.
[/quote]Yes, I remember him.  The Diggs kid from Angleton had blazing speed.  Also, the Rogers kid that played for Lamar Consolidated was fast.  Still, we are not sure even if these kids ran a 4.3.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="VPirate" post="1024116" timestamp="1310517750"]
[quote author=Le Sgt Rey (French) link=topic=84563.msg1024107#msg1024107 date=1310515672]
[quote author=BMTJags link=topic=84563.msg1021555#msg1021555 date=1309460185]
You said David Bolinger ran a 4.5.  That's the contrary from what the other guy said when he stated that vidor have 3 guys that run a 4.3, which is ridiculous.
[/quote]
These have to be 30 yd times right?
[/quote]

Bolinger's time is a 40 yard time. These other kids with 4.3 times are figments of somebody's imagination.

I'm sure if there were an athlete in Vidor that ran a 4.3 40 I would know about it.
The whole (Vidor has three guys that run a 4.3 40) thing was posted as a joke......anyway everybody knows that all "Vidor" players are slow, [s]white[/s] right guys?  ;) ;D ;D
[/quote]not all of em are slow---but 4.3????joke joke joke joke

[quote name="BMTJags" post="1024199" timestamp="1310557103"]
Not disagreeing w/ya but Dayton has had a back or 2 doing 4.3 recently.Sucker was every bit of 4'3 :D ;D
[/quote]The last really fast kid that comes to mind when I think of Dayton was A. J. Dugat, and I doubt he ran a 4.3...
[/quote]Dugat was a low 4.6 high 4.5---his great strength was that he made people miss---he had "football" speed

[quote name="smitty" post="1024187" timestamp="1310546484"]
Vidor outlook?  Same coach, same outcome!!    ;)
[/quote]

Vidors all time district record is 225-469-16.....about a 34% Win Pct:.....not a very good record

Mathews has been head coach at Vidor 12 yrs.?

Mathews is 54-66 overall at Vidor thats about a 45% win Pct. (if my math is correct)

So somebody help me out here what's the problem, is it the coach, the talent level, the offensive scheme, (I've been in Vidor long enough to know before they started runing the slot-t they ran a spread) or all the above.

I know these kids and trust me they practice hard and most of them (I can't speak for every player) believe than can win every time they step on the field, as for the coaches from what I know, they believe in their players and the system they have in place.

Maybe it's tradition, when a kid plays on a team that has a winning tradition he feels like he's inherited a legacy, almost like a birthright he can live up to and that benefits him. Vidor doesn't have that winning tradition, but I know a few young men who are determined to change that.  

[quote name="Diamond-J" post="1024208" timestamp="1310560205"]
[quote author=VPirate link=topic=84563.msg1024116#msg1024116 date=1310517750]
[quote author=Le Sgt Rey (French) link=topic=84563.msg1024107#msg1024107 date=1310515672]
[quote author=BMTJags link=topic=84563.msg1021555#msg1021555 date=1309460185]
You said David Bolinger ran a 4.5.  That's the contrary from what the other guy said when he stated that vidor have 3 guys that run a 4.3, which is ridiculous.
[/quote]
These have to be 30 yd times right?
[/quote]

Bolinger's time is a 40 yard time. These other kids with 4.3 times are figments of somebody's imagination.

I'm sure if there were an athlete in Vidor that ran a 4.3 40 I would know about it.
The whole (Vidor has three guys that run a 4.3 40) thing was posted as a joke......anyway everybody knows that all "Vidor" players are slow, [s]white[/s] right guys?  ;) ;D ;D
[/quote]not all of em are slow---but 4.3????joke joke joke joke
[/quote]

Nobody in their right mind believes any athlete in Vidor right now runs a 4.3 40 this whole thing was started by......well he knows who he is.  ;D

[quote name="VPirate" post="1024217" timestamp="1310562575"]
[quote author=smitty link=topic=84563.msg1024187#msg1024187 date=1310546484]
[/quote]

Vidors all time district record is 225-469-16.....about a 34% Win Pct:.....not a very good record

Mathews is 54-66 overall at Vidor thats about a 45% win Pct. (if my math is correct)

So somebody help me out here what's the problem, is it the coach, the talent level, the offensive scheme, (I've been in Vidor long enough to know before they started runing the slot-t they ran a spread) or all the above.

I know these kids and trust me they practice hard and most of them (I can't speak for every player) believe than can win every time they step on the field, as for the coaches from what I know, they believe in their players and the system they have in place.

Maybe it's tradition, when a kid plays on a team that has a winning tradition he feels like he's inherited a legacy, almost like a birthright he can live up to and that benefits him. Vidor doesn't have that winning tradition, but I know a few young men who are determined to change that.  

[/quote]

You better watch what you are fishing for,  cause your not going to like what you catch.

[quote name="TITAN POWER" post="1024226" timestamp="1310564132"]
[quote author=VPirate link=topic=84563.msg1024217#msg1024217 date=1310562575]
Vidor outlook?  Same coach, same outcome!!    ;)
[/quote]

[/quote]

You better watch what you are fishing for,  cause your not going to like what you catch.
[/quote]

Just trying to get some honest opinions.

[quote name="BMTJags" post="1024201" timestamp="1310557379"]
[quote author=BrenhamFan link=topic=84563.msg1024181#msg1024181 date=1310536763]
[/quote]

The Washington twins we had 3 years ago ran a 4.3 and I'm sure Soulja remembers Huntsville's Justin Gilbert from the playoff game a couple years ago.

All 3 of those guys were true 4.3's, but it's not something you see very often.
[/quote]Yes, I remember him.  The Diggs kid from Angleton had blazing speed.  Also, the Rogers kid that played for Lamar Consolidated was fast.  Still, we are not sure even if these kids ran a 4.3.
[/quote]

Diggs according to scout.com is a 4.4, but he's so quick that he seems like a 4.3.

It's always been my philosophy when the job is not getting done, it starts with the HC, then The assistants.  I don't see Vidor's kids as being any different than the kids PN-G or Nederland has.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

My .02...  I don't think the coach is the problem per se..  from everything I have heard Matthews is a very good coach.  I think he is a little too married to his offensive scheme though.  He needs to adjust his offensive scheme to the personnel, not force them to run an offense that they are not suited to run or has been figured out by everyone in the district.  See Nederland or PNG as far as adapting thier offenses.

If a coach can't adapt to his personnel, then how can he be a good coach? 

[quote name="bigdog" post="1024833" timestamp="1310687627"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

My .02...   I don't think the coach is the problem per se..  from everything I have heard Matthews is a very good coach.   I think he is a little too married to his offensive scheme though.  He needs to adjust his offensive scheme to the personnel, not force them to run an offense that they are not suited to run or has been figured out by everyone in the district.  See Nederland or PNG as far as adapting thier offenses.
[/quote]

When Haggequist(sp?) was QB Vidor spread it out and threw the ball around. Maybe he has gone to the Slot T because he thinks that is what fits his personnel best with the talent he has had the past few seasons......Haggequist played fairly recently. I agree with bigdog, Matthews is very respected by the coaches in this area and has done a good job at Vidor. Vidor football was pretty dismal before they hired Matthews. They have a lot better program now than they did for decades before he got there. Just my two cents from an outside observer.

[quote name="ndnsrock44" post="1024910" timestamp="1310699406"]
When Haggequist(sp?) was QB Vidor spread it out and threw the ball around. Maybe he has gone to the Slot T because he thinks that is what fits his personnel best with the talent he has had the past few seasons......Haggequist played fairly recently. I agree with bigdog, Matthews is very respected by the coaches in this area and has done a good job at Vidor. Vidor football was pretty dismal before they hired Matthews. They have a lot better program now than they did for decades before he got there. Just my two cents from an outside observer.
[/quote]

Coach Mathews cannot be judged by just the record of the football team. You may judge him by the overall improvement of Vidor Athletics as a whole. We may not be a juggernaut but the between the other sports be it girl's basketball or boy's baseball the programs have improved since Mathews has taken over.

[quote name="Piratefan23" post="1024941" timestamp="1310708286"]
[quote author=ndnsrock44 link=topic=84563.msg1024910#msg1024910 date=1310699406]
[/quote]

Coach Mathews cannot be judged by just the record of the football team. You may judge him by the overall improvement of Vidor Athletics as a whole. We may not be a juggernaut but the between the other sports be it girl's basketball or boy's baseball the programs have improved since Mathews has taken over.
[/quote]

I think Coach Matthews should be judged by the integrity of his program and the behavior/actions of his student athletes. Judging by the few players I have spoken with, they are very respectful young men and speak highly of Coach Matthews. The win-loss record is secondary in my book.

The key to Vidor's slot-T offense is controlling the line of scrimmage. The problem I see us having is what do you do when someone stops this offense and shuts it down. IMO you still have to add some balance with the pass or spreading the field and running different plays. In order to do this effectively you need to work on it all the time in game situations instead of just when you HAVE to. Most of our pass plays are based out of our running plays with the QB throwing on the run, so there is not much work done on pass protection, passing from the pocket, or receivers trying to get open. I just think we need to get better at plan B when someone successfully stops our running game....... IMO the spread is not the answer, the slot- T is not the answer, the I is not the answer. The answer is run what you believe in and adjust it to your talents.

Well, Livinston runs the exact same offense and they make it work.  Central ran a wishbone offense in 2008 and we marched 4 rounds deep in the playoffs with that.  I think the running offense do work.  I think the best time to pass the ball is when the offense is lined up in a run formation.  You catch the defense off guard and you have teams with probably 1 or 2 true defensive backs on the field.  I think Vidor needs to keep doing what they are doing.  They just need to complete the passes when they are thrown.  The percentage should be high. 

[quote name="BMTJags" post="1025021" timestamp="1310744998"]
Well, Livinston runs the exact same offense and they make it work.  Central ran a wishbone offense in 2008 and we marched 4 rounds deep in the playoffs with that.  I think the running offense do work.  I think the best time to pass the ball is when the offense is lined up in a run formation.  You catch the defense off guard and you have teams with probably 1 or 2 true defensive backs on the field.  I think Vidor needs to keep doing what they are doing.  They just need to complete the passes when they are thrown.  The percentage should be high.  
[/quote]

I agree but it all starts with the O-line controlling the line of scrimmage.

Liberty Hill (25-3A) has successfully used this offense in recent years and actually won 2 state titles, Caldwell has also ran the slot-t avereging about 41 points a game. I'm not downing the slot-t at all, I just want to see the Pirates soften up defenses with the threat of a decent passing game because it will make their running game that much stronger.

I agree.  I think the ball should be thrown at least 3 times a drive for this offense to be successfull.  I don't want pass attempts, I want completions.  Because if you don't complete those passes, you will probably end up in 2 or 3rd and long.  Also, teams will not repect your passing game at all and just load the box.

[quote name="smitty" post="1024406" timestamp="1310596367"]
It's always been my philosophy when the job is not getting done, it starts with the HC, then The assistants.  I don't see Vidor's kids as being any different than the kids PN-G or Nederland has.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]line up the top 20 kids on each team based on height and weight and let's see if you can see a difference. the offensive and defensive line size is holding vidor back right now. the kids have the heart and are well coached. coach matthews can't make them grow. if you don't see the difference, you are blind. coach does well with what he has and produces excellent young men. this, above all else, is the most important thing to remember.

I agree 100% spoonbill the Pirates haven't had a big O-line/ D-line since the 08/09 season. I have great respect for coach Mathews and what he does as AD/Head football coach, he has improved Vidor's over all athletic performance at the high school level, and the kids love him.  :)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder