**EVADALE vs. EULA Broadcast**/ STATE SEMIS....EULA WINS/COMMENTS

Seems like UIL would have a committee that would be able to review these kinds of calls. It is sad that a team works all year to go home because of 1 bad call and not even being beaten by the other team!! We were listening to the game we heard the buzzer and thought Evadale was going into overtime then realize there was a shot. We text friends there and everyone we talked to from Evadale or not said the shot was after the buzzer. This is very sad, who knows who would have won in OT Evadale was in foul trouble with Dunigan fouling out and Tucker having 4 fouls. Nice run at it Evadale!!!!  Congrats on what you accomplished!!!

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whether the shot was good or not, Evadale led 48-40 with 4:35 remaining.

Eula went on a 9-0 run and took a 49-48 lead with :58 seconds remaining when Deven Murphy hit a nearly improbable 3-pt shot himself in the corner falling out of bounds to give Evadale a 51-49 lead...Eula marched down court and 10 seconds later tied it up.

Foul trouble hurt the Rebels, but during Eula's 9-0 run, the Rebels took several ill-advised 3 pt shots...

Regardless, they impressed everyone here.

Just spoke with AAW, and he just saw two different video playbacks which pretty clearly show that the shot did not get off in time.  

But aside from the truths the Coop and bullets have indicated about Evadale letting Eula back into the game, remember that if even if this shot had been disallowed didn't mean that Evadale advances.  They would have gone into overtime with a starter fouled out and another starter with 4 fouls.

It was a great game and a great run by the Rebs, they represented the community well.

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="Scooter!" post="980773" timestamp="1299788365"]
Sad way to lose but you cant blame the refs if you let them back into the game
[/quote]

Evadale was whistled to death!

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="980826" timestamp="1299792135"]
[quote author=Scooter! link=topic=81492.msg980773#msg980773 date=1299788365]
[/quote]

[/quote]...uh, how can you tell if you weren't there?

I was at the game and am very proud of the Evadale team!

I have a few comments:

1)  Watching the warm-up, I thought Evadale was in for trouble.  So I was impressed with the way they played!
2)  Of course I am probably biased, but I do think there was a walk and the shot didn't get off in time at the end.
3)  I think it hurt Evadale that their Regional games weren't that close.  They really haven't gutted one out since the Yorktown game.
4)  It's really tough that these boys lost this way, but they should be VERY PROUD.  Evadale has been to State now, twice...only twice.  So many of us I am sure that comment on these pages have amazing high school basketball memories, and I am sure most of those memories don't involve trips to the State tournament.  It's very very hard to get that far, so be proud of yourselves!

Guest ECBucFan
[quote name="FanintheStands" post="980834" timestamp="1299793387"]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=81492.msg980826#msg980826 date=1299792135]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you read ANY of the posts in this thread? Their inside force Dunigan FOULED OUT, and Tucker had to play with 4 fouls, and then monkey business with the clock in the final seconds, etc. Also posters questioning if the Evadale coach confronted the refs... Yeah, I get the ugly picture real good. Can't you?

[quote name="ECBucFan" post="980849" timestamp="1299794953"]
[quote author=FanintheStands link=topic=81492.msg980834#msg980834 date=1299793387]
[quote author=ECBucFan link=topic=81492.msg980826#msg980826 date=1299792135]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Did you read ANY of the posts in this thread? Their inside force Dunigan FOULED OUT, and Tucker had to play with 4 fouls, and then monkey business with the clock in the final seconds, etc. Also posters questioning if the Evadale coach confronted the refs... Yeah, I get the ugly picture real good. Can't you?
[/quote]When I see a player fouled out, its usually because they committed more fouls.  I didn't read pages 1-4 on this thread.  I was working.

Monkey business with the clock is simply poor officiating.  But "whistled to death" implies that the ref's were being lenient toward Eula's players and tougher on Evadale's.  IOW's the ref's were cheating.  I wouldn't even begin to trust anyone who claimed that unless they were at the game and saw the bad calls.... even then I have my doubts.  People tend to see what they want to see when it comes to personal fouls in basketball.

The last second shot is another thing, however.

Again, I really wouldn't say this was an issue of being "whistled to death".  Dunigan's jersey number just seemed to be in the refs heads (and two of his fouls were weak weak offensive fouls).  All-in-all I didn't think the officiating was that bad.  Sometimes you get called for a few weak fouls, that's basketball.  The foul count wasn't really that off balance.  Now, that all being said, the last 2 seconds of the game I believe the refs got it wrong.  But again, that happens in basketball, they aren't perfect.  For Evadale, this game will take a while to get over, but they should be proud.  In every division at State, three teams will lose, but they were there.  Most teams can't say they were there.

It kills me that I had to miss this last game, so I can not say if the refs call tigher on one team or not. A blocking foul and a charge foul are all judgment calls, and Dunigan got to charging fouls. But the shot at the buzzer is not a judgment call, its black and white. And I cant beleave that 3 Refs, got this one wrong :( Just another cass of refs not being held responsible for blown calls.

Guest Abraham
Personally I cant stand the UIL all they want is the money and they don't care about anything else!! Great season Rebels have a safe trip home and it's time to get geared up for baseball!!!

I just watched the last 2 sec. of this game and man did those boys get screwed, the Refs miss 3 calls in 2 sec. First the kid takes 3 steps before making the pass ,then the player takes the defender out with a moving screen, then the toper was the kid has the ball in his hand clearly with the back board light goes  red. Man it sux to get cheated out of a game :( .Not saying that the Rebs could have won the game in over time but they should have been given the chance.

Congrats to Coach Williams and the Rebels on a fine season.A close loss is tough to take under any circumstance but the folks that officiate these games are chosen because they are the best in the state.I just saw Coach Williams interview on the news and he handled himself with class,no surprise there.There are no losers in the state tourney,once again Congrats on a fine season.

Boxscore and play by play account:

https://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/state-basketball/boxscores-boys/game2.htm

This was clearly a case of the better team losing.

I have now seen 3 different video's of the last shot, all three show the he did not get the shot off in time. Tough way to lose.

Still, Evadale let this one slip away.

[quote name="whsalum" post="981064" timestamp="1299820379"]
Congrats to Coach Williams and the Rebels on a fine season.A close loss is tough to take under any circumstance but [color=red]the folks that officiate these games are chosen because they are the best in the state[/color].I just saw Coach Williams interview on the news and he handled himself with class,no surprise there.There are no losers in the state tourney,once again Congrats on a fine season.
[/quote] If those three were the best in the state, I see why there has been so many bad called games this year. I just hate it when the officels become part of the game and take the outcome out of the players hands. If they wave off that shot, the game is still tied and the players get to deside the game. But by blowing that call the officals stoll that game from those kids.

[quote name="bullets13" post="981241" timestamp="1299870772"]
any chance of someone posting the video?
[/quote]Sorry I dont know how to add a link. But if you go the KFDM. com they have the tape of the last 2 sec. Just think how long 2 sec is. and they took the ball from under the far goal, one player takes 3 steps at mid court, throwes the ball to another player in the far corner and that play had time to get both feet set and take the shot.. ::) All of this in 2 sec ;) ??? ??? The ref just plain stole this game from those kids.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder