Should a team...

WOS92

... with a non-winning record be allowed in the playoffs? It's very likely that we'll meet up with now 3-6 Liberty in Round 1. Doesn't that really water things down? I don't know if there's a solution, but I'm guessing that there are at least a few eight-win teams sitting home.

... with a non-winning record be allowed in the playoffs? It's very likely that we'll meet up with now 3-6 Liberty in Round 1. Doesn't that really water things down? I don't know if there's a solution' date=' but I'm guessing that there are at least a few eight-win teams sitting home.[/quote']

I don't think so. I remember the year Wo-s went 8-2 and didn't make the playoffs in 20-4a and there were teams in the playoffs who was 2-8...doesn't make sense to me. You shouldn't be rewarded for being in a weak district.

I realize that non-district games don't factor in to who makes the playoffs, but they do count. Otherwise, we wouldn't keep the records.

Besides - there are plenty of teams who stack their non-district schedules with tough teams who still come out of it with winning records. Newton has only lost two games. WO-S has done it for years and frequently came out undefeated.

I just think that, in a perfect world, we wouldn't treat all districts equally. A district with only four abysmal teams should NOT be able to send three of them into the playoffs.

OK, Buna. Imagine that your team was just placed in a 10-team district with the likes of Newton, Carthage, East Chambers, Deweyville, Anahuac and four other teams. Newton went undefeated. Buna, Carthage, East Chambers and Anahuac each lost just two games. Newton, Carthage and EC went to the playoffs, while Anahuac and Buna sit home at 8-2... a record that includes a non-district win over WO-S for Buna.

Meanwhile, the neighboring district has only four teams. One of them went 3-7 and ended up as district champs. The others ended up 0-10, 2-8 and 1-9. The 3-7, 2-8 and 1-9 teams make the playoffs, while your beloved Cougars - after winning eight tough games - are sitting at home.

That makes sense to you?

Please explain.

I realize that non-district games don't factor in to who makes the playoffs' date=' but they do count. Otherwise, we wouldn't keep the records.

Besides - there are plenty of teams who stack their non-district schedules with tough teams who still come out of it with winning records. Newton has only lost two games. WO-S has done it for years and frequently came out undefeated.

I just think that, in a perfect world, we wouldn't treat all districts equally. A district with only four abysmal teams should NOT be able to send three of them into the playoffs.

OK, Buna. Imagine that your team was just placed in a 10-team district with the likes of Newton, Carthage, East Chambers, Deweyville, Anahuac and four other teams. Newton went undefeated. Buna, Carthage, East Chambers and Anahuac each lost just two games. Newton, Carthage and EC went to the playoffs, while Anahuac and Buna sit home at 8-2... a record that includes a non-district win over WO-S for Buna.

Meanwhile, the neighboring district has only four teams. One of them went 3-7 and ended up as district champs. The others ended up 0-10, 2-8 and 1-9. The 3-7, 2-8 and 1-9 teams make the playoffs, while your beloved Cougars - after winning eight tough games - are sitting at home.

That makes sense to you?

Please explain.[/quote']

Great way to break it down. If you go 2-8 like I said some teams did to get in...that means you only won two district games which is terrible. I thought the playoffs was for the best teams in the state to square off to see who is the best team. How are you gonna clearly know who is the best team if teams with winning records in a tough district aren't allowed in. That's like that college football Bcs crap. The scrubbs should stay home, I'm sorry.

The kids and coaches should not be punished for being in a weak district. They are placed there by the UIL and they MUST play the district schedule that's given to them. I've seen some teams in a 6 team district that enter the playoffs at 5-5 because they went 5-0 in their district schedule. Look at OF, BC or K'ville (which ever one does not make the playoffs) and possibly even HF; if they were in the district they were to play in the first round, they would be in but because they are in the setexas superdistrict, they will stay at home...don't fault the team, fault the system...and just for the record, I like the 3 team playoff format because it allows for interesting games at the end of the season.

Win your district! If you go 8-2 and do not make the playoffs, its because there were 3 teams BETTER than you and you don't deserve to go! You have proved throughout district play that your team is not worthy of a "state championship" so why play for one!!

OK, 4-6 or 5-5 gets in from another district, they have proven that they are one of the best 3 in that district which was established by the UIL! They are worthy of that spot, I do not care how many games they lost in NON DISTRICT (Which means absolutely NOTHING!!) The only difference between the 8-2 sitting home and 5-5 in the playoffs is that the 8-2 team has already played its "playoff" games in district and thus proved themselves unworthy-It may take a little longer to "prove" that they are not worthy of a "state championship" but the 5-5 team will eventually meet the same fate, probably early in the playoffs.

Liberty has been in some tough 8 team districts in the past and proved that they belong over and over and over. This may be a down year for Liberty and 22 3A but don't tell me they don't belong. Those kids would love to get WOS in the first round. They may not win but they would rather be in the playoffs than at home.

... with a non-winning record be allowed in the playoffs? It's very likely that we'll meet up with now 3-6 Liberty in Round 1. Doesn't that really water things down? I don't know if there's a solution' date=' but I'm guessing that there are at least a few eight-win teams sitting home.[/quote']

Well yall should advance to the next round then. But anything can happen, don't go soley on the record.

Liberty is just now finding itself. Those Seniors that were quit on early in the year cost the Panthers 3 weeks of game time experience for some Soph. Agreed, WOS may be to much for them this year, but at least the Panthers have some kids coming back with valuable playing experience for the upcoming season(s)

tatum went 0-5 and then won state.

if you aren't one of the best 3 in your district what would going to the playoffs prove? the purpose of the playoffs is to crown the best in the state. districts have to play other districts to determine that. district championships are for local glory, playoffs aren't a reward for a good record but for finishing top 3 in district and to crown the state champs!

I think a team should be 500 or better in district play...so NO if you have a losing record in district play

It would be nice but, they have to build brackets for the state playoffs. You have to have a certain amount of teams to fill the bracket. UIL sets the amount per district and they go from there. You can't limit it to teams that are at or above 500 or any other set record. If that was the case alot of teams would get a bye in game 1 of the playoffs, becuase they would have no one to play, possibly...

Also in tough districts the records for district could be close and maybe only 1 team above 500. That would ruin your local districts chances of making a showing in the playoffs. Bottom line is you gotta fill the bracket and they base that on district records.

• 8 months later...
Guest Wildcat 08

... with a non-winning record be allowed in the playoffs? It's very likely that we'll meet up with now 3-6 Liberty in Round 1. Doesn't that really water things down? I don't know if there's a solution, but I'm guessing that there are at least a few eight-win teams sitting home.

Good question! I think they should though. If they finish up in the top 3 have at it.

WO-S went 8-2 and missed the playoffs in two of their last seasons in 4A, despite beating SEVERAL quality 4A teams like Bay City and PN-G.

If this is based on Liberty than I really dont understand. Liberty has had an alright season. Liberty has aloth of Sophomores that play both ways all night. They might not be that fortunate in the win column but they get better each week. We will surise you on the 17th. Promise

Well, I was surprised. Liberty kicked off to open the game, Earl Thomas returned it for a TD, and that pretty much was the story for the rest of the night. This reinforces the point I made many months ago. Yes, we beat Hardin Jefferson 63-0 last year, but, other than that, our easiest game was IN THE PLAYOFFS. No playoff score, even if it's one of the elite teams, should be a 60-point margin of victory.

What makes it bad for US is that the next week we played a GREAT team in Giddings and lost in a very close one. If we had sharpened our skills the week before instead of putting on a show, maybe it would have made a tiny bit of difference - enough to move on. In 2000, we were one of the smallest teams in 4A. We fought tooth and nail through several games that season, including one against eventual D1 state champs Bay City, to a 10-0 record. Then we went into the playoffs and, in succession, faced Jasper, Magnolia, LaMarque, Friendswood, Calallen and Ennis. It was one of the most difficult schedules we've ever played (beating PN-G, Nederland, champion Bay City, LaMarque, Friendswood, Calallen, Jasper, Lincoln, etc?) and we only lost one game - the state championship against Ennis. The only easy game we had in the playoffs was Magnolia, but they didn't have a losing record.

There are teams out there that lose only two games all season with a BRUTAL schedule who miss the playoffs, and teams who only win three games all season with a pansy schedule. The team with a losing record against bad opponents lives to play another day, while a genuinely good, playoff-caliber team (as WO-S was in at least two of their 8-2, stay at home seasons) has no chance to prove themselves.

Sorry, it makes no sense to me.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder