Should a team...

WOS92

Don't let the numbers fool you, HJ. We went to the title game in 4A in 2000 as one of the five smallest enrollments in 4A. Our record at the end was 15-1. If the kids out there are all dedicated and play with heart, it makes up for having a dozen more team members who are there to impress the girls.

I'm always impressed when there's a coach who comes in and half of the players leave. I call it the "team purge." You get rid of all of the posers and keep the kids who live and breathe to help their school win. WO-S hasn't suited out 30 players in 10 years, I don't think, and we're usually outnumbered on the sidelines even by 3A opponents. But EVERY ONE of our kids is 100 percent committed, and they prove it by not quitting despite having to suffer one of the most grueling offseason programs in the state.

Numbers mean very little to me. It only matters when it's down to the wire in an over-the-top physical game, and the other team has an endless supply of 6-5 linemen to replace the winded ones, while you've got the same guys on the O and D lines.

That district split still kinda sucks, though. Putting Jasper, Silsbee, WO-S and BC in the same district still leaves one almost-perennial playoff team at home every year.

nope.  And I think this was already said.  If a team has less than a .500 record, they should be disqualified fromt he playoffs.  If they are under .500 and makes the playoffs, that means that they were weak in nondistrict and less than mediocre in district.  They probably had to rely on a last week scenerio just to get a berth.

This makes no sense.  Liberty seems to be the whipping child on this site – and yes they have struggled during the last 2- 3 years – but so has every team in the state during a 20-year period.  Liberty had a rough season last year when 3 starting seniors quit or where kicked off the team in the 1st three weeks of the season then 2 starting juniors where kicked off the team for other reasons.  Also 2 starters from the previous year transferred to other schools – 1 went to H-D.  Not many 3A teams can lose 7 – 8 starters and play to the level that they need to every week.  Liberty also had to replace these starters in the middle of the season,

But back to the UIL playoff discussion - Hell I went and played for the Katy Tigers when they couldn’t make the playoffs to save their lives. 

On who should go to the playoffs – its official the top 3 teams in the district get to go.  If you happen to be in a weak district then you will be eliminated early.  But through the years several teams that have entered the playoffs have gone deep – just 3 years ago a team with a 3 – 7 record won the regional game against a team that was 10 – 0 during the regular season – That’s why we play the games.

Just to put how much the "playoff" experience has changed into perspective,  there was a time back in the seventies or early eighties when Jasper went undefeated 8-0-2, they tied one non-district game, and tied their district game against Hebert, and did not make the playoffs.  It used to be the best of the best went.  Now, the UIL rewards mediocrity.

This is not bagging on Liberty. I used them as an example of a team who should not have been in the playoffs last year. They have a strong tradition, etc, but shouldn't have been in an eleventh game. It's not personal. Seeing how the season unraveled and how the game came out, I can't see how anyone would disagree. This is a general statement, not one about Liberty in specific. They were just used as an example. We've never played a playoff game quite like that, or I'd add another example.

nope.  And I think this was already said.  If a team has less than a .500 record, they should be disqualified fromt he playoffs.  If they are under .500 and makes the playoffs, that means that they were weak in nondistrict and less than mediocre in district.  They probably had to rely on a last week scenerio just to get a berth.

Here's a scenario....what if a 3A team plays and barely loses all their non-district games against 4A teams with winning records that are going to the playoffs and lose 2 district games against teams with 8 wins or more....This team ends up getting 3rd in district and has a losing record....Should they make the playoffs?

***I personally don't believe in "quality losses", but I believe a playing a tough schedule and being very competitive in all games speaks volumes.***

And there are teams that were .500 that went out in the same round as everyone else, including the DC.  ;)

You can't really make a blanket statement about this.  There is too much difference in the strength of the districts.

Here's a scenario....what if a 3A team plays and barely loses all their non-district games against 4A teams with winning records that are going to the playoffs and lose 2 district games against teams with 8 wins or more....This team ends up getting 3rd in district and has a losing record....Should they make the playoffs?

Not if there's a team in another nearby district who have played an equally hard pre-district schedule, won all of those games against 4A playoff teams, loses two district games and ends up tied for third in a brutal district, missing the playoffs on a tiebreaker and sitting home at 8-2.

It's from experience. Everyone gets down on WO-S for missing the playoffs their last three years in 4A, but we were 8-2 the last two seasons. In 03, we lost two games by a grand total of six points (to nederland by 4 and Central by 2). In 02, Nederland beat us by 21, but our only other loss that year was by one point to Ozen.

Both years, we stayed home.

WOS92 - This is a blog that will never be fair or changed.  (1) Who decides what is a Tough schedule or a weak schedule (becase if you get your way everyone will schedule weak teams to be 4-0 or 5-0 in pre-district)?  (2) Then who decides what is a close district to the team with the better record? (3) Then at what level do make the cut-off 5-5, 4-6 and if one team is 5-5 and another in a "close district" is 6-4 is it fair to allow that team to go to the playoffs?

I believe that answer is a Loud - NO. 

I really believe that the only answer is to go back to the top 1 or 2 teams in each district make the playoffs.  But even under that scenario a team with a losing record can still make the playoffs and it happend even before UIL allowed 3 teams to make the Playoffs.  Then is it fair to allow a team from a "nearby" district go to the playoffs in place of the team that has won their district with a 4-6 record?  Agian the answer is a resounding - NO it is not.

• 4 weeks later...

Using this terminology...

No team in the National League Central should even be playing in the playoffs (MLB)...

Your district is where you lay your eggs...

If it is weak or strong, 3 teams go, even if you have a losing record or on the other end, having a team with an 8-2 record not making it...

Boy have we forgotten the days when ONLY ONE TEAM made the playoffs....

Now with three teams (and eventually four) there are still people complaining....

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83