BADSANTA

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="956615" timestamp="1296252432"]
What's ur take?
[/quote]

you talking practice, game, where everybody can hear or whispered? we talking about the "a" word or the "f" word? there'll be a ton of "thats not acceptable" either way, lets hear some pros and cons.

i'd be happy if my kid's coach would just yell at him......an emphatic "come on daisy" can go a long way sometimes.

ps-i predict this thread will last 2 weeks on the front page

you can kick curse scream and yell. It is how you bond with the young men. Every young man is different each respond well to there own indivisual way. A coach just has to figure out what works gor each player to motivate him.And the team as a whole as well. Player to player year to year every thing is different. The real good coaches overcome and adapt.

I grew up in Illinois and moved to tx as a freshman...that said, I was getting cursed out in 6th grade..that's how it was when the high school was a top program in state winning back to back state championships..I think it was more to make a point and make us mentally tough.

[quote name="HAWKS24" post="956617" timestamp="1296252998"]
whatever it takes to get the point across
[/quote]

This is what is wrong with our country today excepting this kind of behavior. How do you expect the players to give the coach and administrators respect if they don't get any and everyone thinks its ok as long as you are getting your "point across". This is not the way a coach should conduct him/herself. It doesn't take cursing anyone to get your point accross. This is unexceptable behavior!!!!

[quote name="6thman" post="956995" timestamp="1296274946"]
[quote author=HAWKS24 link=topic=79404.msg956617#msg956617 date=1296252998]
[/quote]

This is what is wrong with our country today excepting this kind of behavior. How do you expect the players to give the coach and administrators respect if they don't get any and everyone thinks its ok as long as you are getting your "point across". This is not the way a coach should conduct him/herself. It doesn't take cursing anyone to get your point accross. This is unexceptable behavior!!!!
[/quote] Looks like your on a island all by yourself. We dont live in Mayberry anymore. And the Beaver better get thick skin, or he will get crushed in the real world. Just the way it is.

[quote name="6thman" post="956995" timestamp="1296274946"]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I am with you 6thman........I think it weak character.

[quote name="Eagle11" post="957035" timestamp="1296277042"]
[quote author=6thman link=topic=79404.msg956995#msg956995 date=1296274946]
[/quote]

[/quote]
I am with you 6thman........I think it weak character.
[/quote]

i knew 6th wouldn't be on that island all alone for long  :D

Motivational profanity is more of a personal choice than an effective tool. If a person has to resort to profanity to motivate or get results then they are articulately challenged and have limited communication and motivational skills. JMO

If it was truly effective then why not try it in the classroom to improve TAKS score? Profanity is not acceptable in the classroom, most workplaces, public places, etc. Why the practice field?

Are you kidding me ? You can get the kids attention without the use of profanity.All the really well respected coaches need to get a players attention is a stern look and a whistle.As far as the real world example goes, just sit in on any board meeting at a well run company and the last thing you'll hear is a bunch of profanity. They won't even cuss when they tell ya to hit the bricks  ;D

Coaches do not need to use profanity and should not use profanity in coaching.  That being said, I have been around alot of good coaches and have been coached by alot of good coaches and they are humans like all and profanity does slip from time to time.  But every other word that comes out of their mouths should not be a curse word. 
Emotions are high in practice and games and that is when profanity shows most often, is that an excuse, of course not, but i would say that if we polled most coaches would say that during their career that they have said a curse word.  If we polled most humans I bet they would also say the same thing.

[quote name="whsalum" post="957182" timestamp="1296312847"]
Are you kidding me ? You can get the kids attention without the use of profanity.All the really well respected coaches need to get a players attention is a stern look and a whistle.As far as the real world example goes, just sit in on any board meeting at a well run company and the last thing you'll hear is a bunch of profanity. They won't even cuss when they tell ya to hit the bricks  ;D
[/quote] We are not talking about a board room with a bunch of suits and ties, We're talking about sports locker rooms. Just go in a locker room in the NFL or MBA and see what is going on. I would say that the Dallas Cowboys are a well run company along with the LA Lakers.. There two different worlds and what works in one does not work in the other. But like I asked What age kids are you talking about?? Little Dribblers and Jr High..  NO  .. High school?? It all depends on the coach..

Why would it be considered acceptable to use profanity in a coaching situation. In reality, coaching is "teaching" a sport and there would be issues if the teachers were using it in the classroom. There would be all source of discipline if the students/athletes were using it as well. It all comes down to respect and being responsible as leaders.

[quote name="True Blue" post="957190" timestamp="1296313986"]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=79404.msg957182#msg957182 date=1296312847]
[/quote] We are not talking about a board room with a bunch of suits and ties, We're talking about sports locker rooms. Just go in a locker room in the NFL or MBA and see what is going on. I would say that the Dallas Cowboys are a well run company along with the LA Lakers.. There two different worlds and what works in one does not work in the other. But like I asked What age kids are you talking about?? Little Dribblers and Jr High..  NO  .. High school?? It all depends on the coach..
[/quote]The quickest way to get anyone to QUIT taking you serious is to spout a bunch of profanity laced garbage.The really good leaders in ANY proffesion will have people leaing in to listen when they talk.

[quote name="whsalum" post="957199" timestamp="1296314877"]
[quote author=True Blue link=topic=79404.msg957190#msg957190 date=1296313986]
[quote author=whsalum link=topic=79404.msg957182#msg957182 date=1296312847]
[/quote]The quickest way to get anyone to QUIT taking you serious is to spout a bunch of profanity laced garbage.The really good leaders in ANY proffesion will have people leaing in to listen when they talk.
[/quote]

Great point WHS.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="957186" timestamp="1296313393"]
Coaches do not need to use profanity and should not use profanity in coaching.  That being said, I have been around alot of good coaches and have been coached by alot of good coaches and they are humans like all and profanity does slip from time to time.  But every other word that comes out of their mouths should not be a curse word. 
Emotions are high in practice and games and that is when profanity shows most often, is that an excuse, of course not, but i would say that if we polled most coaches would say that during their career that they have said a curse word.  If we polled most humans I bet they would also say the same thing.
[/quote]

I can agree. In the heat of the moment profanity can slip in but it should not be concidered as motivation.

These are great points ,coming form fokes that have never been in a collage or Pro. lockerroom at halftime when your behind. Coach K and Knight have a way to get the point across using a few very choise word at the right time. But a guess its all personal. But if your son is getting ready to head to a collage program, they had better get ready for the real world. Its not all rosses and candy. And if they not ready to hear profanity directed toward them they might wont to check into playing at a church leauge on weekends.

Taking the approach of profanity as a tool to coach or motivate is due to ignorance or laziness. Motivation comes as a result of inspiration, and the use of profanity laced tiraids does not do much to inspire. You have to reach those places your players don't talk about to truely lead them. Through the development of character and integrity, performance at a high level will follow. Coaching is just simply knowing more than everyone else. Coaches use profnity to draw away from the fact they don't know what they are talking about. Hone your craft, don't settle for anything, and the knowledge you will aquire and convey to young people will help their performance and change their lives for ever. No curse word ever did that.

[quote name="indian15/16" post="957216" timestamp="1296317183"]
Taking the approach of profanity as a tool to coach or motivate is due to ignorance or laziness. Motivation comes as a result of inspiration, and the use of profanity laced tiraids does not do much to inspire. You have to reach those places your players don't talk about to truely lead them. Through the development of character and integrity, performance at a high level will follow. Coaching is just simply knowing more than everyone else. Coaches use profnity to draw away from the fact they don't know what they are talking about. Hone your craft, don't settle for anything, and the knowledge you will aquire and convey to young people will help their performance and change their lives for ever. No curse word ever did that.
[/quote] Are you trying to say that Coach K , Kinght,  Tubbs ,Jimmy Johson, Gruden, Coward, Belleckeck Are not motivating coaches?? Or that they simply dont know what they are talking about...Now who is being foolish??

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder