Commissioner says WAC has new members lined up

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Green Menace" post="953948" timestamp="1295907589"]
Lamar better start looking again for an FBS conference to join.  Word on the MWC board is that Utah State and San Jose State are the newest MWC members.  This move would pretty much eliminate the WAC.  San Jose had 8K fans for their last home game.  Go figure.
[/quote]This is good news for the WAC, Lamar, and North Texas.

Denver might leave the WAC and Texas am might go SEC soon.

[quote name="coachacola" post="953931" timestamp="1295905556"]
[quote author=1KatKiller link=topic=78804.msg953926#msg953926 date=1295904983]
"Hopefully Lamar announces their move to the WAC soon because being even being a bottom of the barrel FBS school like UL-Monroe beats staying in the SLC any day of the week. "

[b]Even if you can't beat those teams?[/b]
[/quote]

Lamar certainly can't beat them if they stay FCS.
[/quote]

Good Lord...we've been playing for a year!

[quote name="Green Menace" post="953948" timestamp="1295907589"]
Lamar better start looking again for an FBS conference to join.  Word on the MWC board is that Utah State and San Jose State are the newest MWC members.  This move would pretty much eliminate the WAC.  San Jose had 8K fans for their last home game.  Go figure.
[/quote]

The WAC  is a  who's who of teams that have left it

[quote name="puddin tane" post="954024" timestamp="1295923647"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=78804.msg953948#msg953948 date=1295907589]
[/quote]

[/quote]

...and moved up to better conferences.  Lamar needs to join Texas State and UTSA and old rival La Tech in the WAC.  It's a better basketball conference than the SLC and it will remain a FBS conference.

[quote name="UNLV" post="954042" timestamp="1295926342"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=78804.msg953995#msg953995 date=1295917182]
I'm sorry, I must have missed something.  How is the demise of the WAC good for North Texas? ???
[/quote]The next 4 teams to join the WAC will be UNT, ULL, Lamar, Ark st.
[/quote]
UNLV, I have some ocean front property in Oklahoma I'd like to sell you!

[quote name="coachacola" post="954027" timestamp="1295924306"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg954024#msg954024 date=1295923647]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=78804.msg953948#msg953948 date=1295907589]
[/quote]

[/quote]

...and moved up to better conferences.  Lamar needs to join Texas State and UTSA and old rival La Tech in the WAC.  It's a better basketball conference than the SLC and it will remain a FBS conference.

[/quote]

or, did the leaving teams form better conferences?

lu needs to be with oo-la-la..where ever that may be

[quote name="Green Menace" post="954048" timestamp="1295926957"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=78804.msg954042#msg954042 date=1295926342]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=78804.msg953995#msg953995 date=1295917182]
I'm sorry, I must have missed something.  How is the demise of the WAC good for North Texas? ???
[/quote]
[/quote]

UNT, ULL, arkie st--along with la tech -have delusional ideas of being C-USA

i do expect LTech to leave the WAc first chance they get..

[quote name="coachacola" post="953858" timestamp="1295894312"]
They need to get rid of the FBS/FCS distinction.  Not sure what makes football different than the other sports.  If you want to have football, then have football.  Like all the other D1 sports, the major conferences dominate and nobody else gets much attention.  Let it be the same for football.  Why even bother with the stupid attendance rule?  If nobody goes to a schools football games, then they probably suck and the school can finance the team through other means like student fees or donations.

The people who complain most about teams going FBS are the fans of other FBS schools in conferences that suck, like the Sun Belt, because more FBS schools just drains away the little talent they are getting now.  It makes it easier for them to win when they have less competition.  The fans of other FCS schools also don't like schools moving up because they get left in media vacuum that is FCS football.  The FCS championship games draws about the same amount of viewers as the worst FBS bowl game.

Hopefully Lamar announces their move to the WAC soon because being even being a bottom of the barrel FBS school like UL-Monroe beats staying in the SLC any day of the week.
[/quote]

i'm sick of fbs/fcs...so i'm reverting back to how it should be

I'd rather be good 1-AA than a "ULM" of 1A..they suck

[quote name="puddin tane" post="954093" timestamp="1295937014"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78804.msg953858#msg953858 date=1295894312]
They need to get rid of the FBS/FCS distinction.  Not sure what makes football different than the other sports.  If you want to have football, then have football.  Like all the other D1 sports, the major conferences dominate and nobody else gets much attention.  Let it be the same for football.  Why even bother with the stupid attendance rule?  If nobody goes to a schools football games, then they probably suck and the school can finance the team through other means like student fees or donations.

The people who complain most about teams going FBS are the fans of other FBS schools in conferences that suck, like the Sun Belt, because more FBS schools just drains away the little talent they are getting now.  It makes it easier for them to win when they have less competition.  The fans of other FCS schools also don't like schools moving up because they get left in media vacuum that is FCS football.  The FCS championship games draws about the same amount of viewers as the worst FBS bowl game.

Hopefully Lamar announces their move to the WAC soon because being even being a bottom of the barrel FBS school like UL-Monroe beats staying in the SLC any day of the week.
[/quote]

[/quote]

There's not much difference between between a good 1-AA team and a bad 1A team, except the good 1-AA team gets less money, less tv exposure and worse schedules than the bad 1-A team.  But hey, if that's your dream for Lamar then more power to you.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="954048" timestamp="1295926957"]
[quote author=UNLV link=topic=78804.msg954042#msg954042 date=1295926342]
[/quote]
[/quote]I  remember you guys said the same thing when I first mentioned the WAC and Lamar.

If you can't be a good 1-AA, then what makes you think you'll be a decent/good 1-A? I don't exectly remember the WAC burning up the airways during the regular season. As far as worse schedules go..have you taken the time to look at the schedules of ULl or ULM or UNT? They HAVE to play 2 or 3 body bag games EVERY year for finances. So to answer your question, I'd much rather be McNeese State University and have respect in the 1-AA ranks, win conference championships, make the play-offs, than be laughed at & the butt of jokes just so I can say my school is 1-A. That's the exact mentality that has put ULL in their spot. Do you really want Lamar to follow that model? I think not.

[quote name="Green Menace" post="954048" timestamp="1295926957"]UNLV, I have some ocean front property in Oklahoma I'd like to sell you![/quote]

He already owns all the oceanfront property in Arkansas after his off the wall thoughts regarding the initial football head coaching hire. May as well expand!

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="954139" timestamp="1295966194"]
[quote author=Green Menace link=topic=78804.msg954048#msg954048 date=1295926957]UNLV, I have some ocean front property in Oklahoma I'd like to sell you![/quote]

He already owns all the oceanfront property in Arkansas after his off the wall thoughts regarding the initial football head coaching hire. May as well expand!
[/quote]Didn't you say the same thing when I said Marlin to ULL?

[quote name="1KatKiller" post="954134" timestamp="1295965209"]
If you can't be a good 1-AA, then what makes you think you'll be a decent/good 1-A? I don't exectly remember the WAC burning up the airways during the regular season. As far as worse schedules go..have you taken the time to look at the schedules of ULl or ULM or UNT? They HAVE to play 2 or 3 body bag games EVERY year for finances. So to answer your question, I'd much rather be McNeese State University and have respect in the 1-AA ranks, win conference championships, make the play-offs, than be laughed at & the butt of jokes just so I can say my school is 1-A. That's the exact mentality that has put ULL in their spot. Do you really want Lamar to follow that model? I think not.
[/quote]

Kat Killer there are success stories of teams moving from now FCS to FBS.  Boise was FCS, UConn was FCS, and I'm sure there are others.  You can build a program.  If you choose to look at the worst case scenario all the time, you never make any growth or progress.  Could we make the jump and it not work out - definitely.  However, I want the best for my university and choose to believe that those in power over there on Rolfe Christopher do as well - and have the wherewithall to make it happen.  If the WAC calls - I say jump.

[quote name="1KatKiller" post="954134" timestamp="1295965209"]
If you can't be a good 1-AA, then what makes you think you'll be a decent/good 1-A? I don't exectly remember the WAC burning up the airways during the regular season. As far as worse schedules go[size=14pt]..[b]have you taken the time to look at the schedules of ULl or ULM or UNT? They HAVE to play 2 or 3 body bag games EVERY year for finances.[/b][/size] So to answer your question, I'd much rather be McNeese State University and have respect in the 1-AA ranks, win conference championships, make the play-offs, than be laughed at & the butt of jokes just so I can say my school is 1-A. That's the exact mentality that has put ULL in their spot. Do you really want Lamar to follow that model? I think not.
[/quote]
Not so much for UNT.  We are down to one money game a year at around $1 million.  I prefer to call them "exposure games".  Everyone in the mid-majors has them.  UNT's athletic fee in the form of $10 (I think) per semester hour kicks in after the stadium is completed later this summer.  More people are stepping up to the plate as evidenced by the presentation of a $1 million dollar donation to athletics during halftime of the UNT vs Ark State BB game this past weekend. 

So the money/exposure game is an annual thing, but not more than one a year for North Texas.

I agree with you 100%. When you look at Boise & UConn, they were ESTABLISHED 1-AA programs & handled the jump. Lamar is not established yet. The program is in it's infancy & now people are saying it's time to jump up a notch. It could very well work out in lamar's favor...but i sure would hate it if it didn't.

[quote name="coachacola" post="954123" timestamp="1295964293"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg954093#msg954093 date=1295937014]

[/quote]

[/quote]

There's not much difference between between a good 1-AA team and a bad 1A team, except the good 1-AA team gets less money, less tv exposure and worse schedules than the bad 1-A team.  But hey, if that's your dream for Lamar then more power to you.
[/quote]

I hope we are good wherever we end up...
but....

a good 1AA program has respect...a bad 1A team is a laughing stock

who get more respect.....Mcneese or Eastern Mich..Appy st or No Tex?

[quote name="1KatKiller" post="954177" timestamp="1295971641"]
I agree with you 100%. When you look at Boise & UConn, they were ESTABLISHED 1-AA programs & handled the jump. Lamar is not established yet. The program is in it's infancy & now people are saying it's time to jump up a notch. It could very well work out in lamar's favor...but i sure would hate it if it didn't.
[/quote]
Boise State did it all on their own.  In the case of UCONN, it helped that they were already members of a BCS, Automatic Qualifying conference in the Big East.  That, together with a successfull BB program meant a ton of money that they had access to.

[quote name="puddin tane" post="954220" timestamp="1295977459"]
[quote author=coachacola link=topic=78804.msg954123#msg954123 date=1295964293]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=78804.msg954093#msg954093 date=1295937014]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I hope we are good wherever we end up...
but....

a good 1AA program has respect...a bad 1A team is a laughing stock

who get more respect.....Mcneese or Eastern Mich..Appy st or No Tex?
[/quote]
Good or bad, I would much rather be part of the BCS than the FCS.  I cannot actually tell you who won the FCS title for 2010.  It just wasn't newsworthy to me.  Respect North Texas or not, I still like them in the FBS.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder