best running backs in Barbers Hill history

eagle65

I honestly cant remember a stand-out back, but my memory only goes back to the 70's.  Perry was fast but ran East and West more than North and South.  There were a couple Fords and Bradfords that were decent over the years.  Tracy Earl was pretty good back in the 80's.  Chris Daniels was a good runner, even though a QB.  Got a couple coming up that may make a list one day.         

A better way to do this may be doing by decades. Talk to Jabo or Coach Horn and I'm sure they can fill you from players of the late 60's if not earlier, 70's to present. But some of the good ones I remember watching growing up are Troy Hanson (late 80's) and Jeff Jones (early 90's). I played with Phillip Davis - good football player but one of the better athletes ever to come thru BH - played it all - football, basketball and ran track (even played a year of baseball - I'm sure Coach Staulbaum and Johnson remembers that). Holds the school record with running a 47 qtr at the state meet. Believe he medaled in three events that year.

But with that being said there was some good talent in the early years of BH. There's a guy in the Hall of Honor who's in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, can't think of his name on the top of my head.

Also when coaching there in the 2000's we had some good ones that played there: Blake, Carrington, Shows, Patton's and Little. I know I left some off sorry about that....

[quote name="EagleEyes" post="942114" timestamp="1294179869"]
A better way to do this may be doing by decades. Talk to Jabo or Coach Horn and I'm sure they can fill you from players of the late 60's if not earlier, 70's to present. But some of the good ones I remember watching growing up are Troy Hanson (late 80's) and Jeff Jones (early 90's). I played with Phillip Davis - good football player but one of the better athletes ever to come thru BH - played it all - football, basketball and ran track (even played a year of baseball - I'm sure Coach Staulbaum and Johnson remembers that). Holds the school record with running a 47 qtr at the state meet. Believe he medaled in three events that year.

But with that being said there was some good talent in the early years of BH. There's a guy in the Hall of Honor who's in the Canadian Football Hall of Fame, can't think of his name on the top of my head.

Also when coaching there in the 2000's we had some good ones that played there: Blake, Carrington, Shows, Patton's and Little. I know I left some off sorry about that....
[/quote]

I forgot about one more from the late 90's, actually ran into him today at the gym - Chris Methner - want to talk about a workhorse, this guy defines it. Tough as nails - type of player you wish you had every year.

[quote name="EagleEyes" post="943494" timestamp="1294352855"]
[quote author=EagleEyes link=topic=78034.msg942114#msg942114 date=1294179869]

I'm glad you threw that name in there. Chris was the offense his senior year. A darn good LB on the other side of the ball too!!!!!

[/quote]

I forgot about one more from the late 90's, actually ran into him today at the gym - Chris Methner - want to talk about a workhorse, this guy defines it. Tough as nails - type of player you wish you had every year.
[/quote]

• 2 months later...
[quote name="EagleEyes" post="943494" timestamp="1294352855"]
[quote author=EagleEyes link=topic=78034.msg942114#msg942114 date=1294179869]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Chris is one of the best guys you will ever meet as well.  Good ole country boy with an A&M degree in wildlife management.  Loves to hunt and fish. Strong as a bull.

Funny story, couple years ago we recruited him to run a 204 mile non-stop race with us from Gonzales Texas to the San Jacinto monument.  I think there were a few legs of that race we could have caught him praying, or at least crying....LOL He made it and yes was a work horse.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder