Carthage vs. Coldspring State Championship Game Predictions/Fri. 4PM

Guest TEAM

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="RCOLE68" post="934348" timestamp="1292532468"]
I think those are the stats of what the boys have done in the playoffs only not the whole season.
[/quote]

No, if that was the case both would be averaging around 270 yds rushing per game in the playoffs...They've been really good but not that good...Now, I wouldn't be surprised if Gilbert is averaging around 200 yds per game...

Chronicle is notorious for some articles with either no information or wrong info. Another good stat for you fellows, I attended the first game vs Kirbyville and lost. I've listened to your games since then and undefeted. So I'll be listening to ya'll winning the State Championship tommorrow. Its a lock.

[quote name="Trigger" post="934372" timestamp="1292535006"]
those boys wouldn't be racking up all those yard without the holes created by the O-line of CS.  Don't get me wrong; They are both good (for high school), but nothing special.  But then again, neither is Holland ;)
[/quote]

Yes the o-line plays a huge role in their success, however, to say they're nothing special is just wrong...They are both better than just good highschool players....Cummings runs with an aggression and power that belies someone of his statue/size...Alot of his yards have come after contact, breaking a tackle(s), or simply carrying tacklers downfield...

Gilbert on the other hand is quite simply put a difference maker....What makes him special is his speed...If he gets the slightest crease or gets to the corner you can go ahead and put 6 on the board....I know for a fact that he's special because UT doesn't come and pull kids out of class (to talk to them) when they're sophomores if they're not....

Cummings lack of measurables and elite speed may very well preclude him from being anything other than a really special highschool player but you can rest assured that you'll hear alot more about Gilbert next year (his senior year) and the years to come...

The fact that Gilbert's older brother is playing as a true freshman at Oklahoma State and had a huge kickoff return for a TD against OU a few weeks ago sure isn't going to hurt either....

[quote name="MEM" post="934392" timestamp="1292537038"]
[quote author=Trigger link=topic=77333.msg934372#msg934372 date=1292535006]
those boys wouldn't be racking up all those yard without the holes created by the O-line of CS.  Don't get me wrong; They are both good (for high school), but nothing special.  But then again, neither is Holland ;)
[/quote]
The fact that Gilbert's older brother is playing as a true freshman at Oklahoma State and had a huge kickoff return for a TD against OU a few weeks ago sure isn't going to hurt either....
[/quote]
yeah, I think it was an 89 yard return.  Earned him Big 12 Special Team player of the week honors.  The story around Huntsville is that Justin is the fastest athlete on the Oklahoma State campus including the track team, soccer team or whatever.  For whatever it is worth, the Oklahoma State website indicates a listed time of 4.35 in the 40 for Justin.  For a fact, Justin won the 100m at 4a State this past Spring.

I have seen both of them play.  My sense is that Sherman is just as fast and athletic as Justin.  I feel sure there are VERY few high school football players that would be able to match steps with Sherman.  Never know how things will turn out of course, but I can hardly wait to see how he matches up against those 4.4 defensive guys that Carthage reportedly has.

Of course, key on Gilbert and Cummings can kill you.  And vice versa.  Carthage will get their stops, but if they make a mistake.....  Gonna be interesting.  This is for sure not your regular run of the mill "3 yards and a cloud of dust" running attack.

[quote name="MEM" post="934392" timestamp="1292537038"]
[quote author=Trigger link=topic=77333.msg934372#msg934372 date=1292535006]
[/quote]

Yes the o-line plays a huge role in their success, however, to say they're nothing special is just wrong...They are both better than just good highschool players....Cummings runs with an aggression and power that belies someone of his statue/size...Alot of his yards have come after contact, breaking a tackle(s), or simply carrying tacklers downfield...

Gilbert on the other hand is quite simply put a difference maker....What makes him special is his speed...If he gets the slightest crease or gets to the corner you can go ahead and put 6 on the board....I know for a fact that he's special because UT doesn't come and pull kids out of class (to talk to them) when they're sophomores if they're not....

Cummings lack of measurables and elite speed may very well preclude him from being anything other than a really special highschool player but you can rest assured that you'll hear alot more about Gilbert next year (his senior year) and the years to come...

[/quote]

With all due respect, I've seen many players come and go, as well as many "so called difference makers" that never make "Big" beyond High School.  In my opinion, its the design (coaching), not a magical gift.  Breaking a corner in High School versus College, much less the NFL...do I need to go further???  My point was that all the hooplah about some article with jacked up stats is/was misguided...the real "Hosses" are the coaches, the d-line & o-line, not two "stand-out" high school players.

Oh, and we're pulling for the Trojans, in case I'm misunderstood....

Name                Class [color=red][b]High School[/b]   [/color] City       State  Pos.  Hgt.  Wgt.   [b][color=red]40[/color][/b]      SH VJ PB SPARQ
[color=red][b]Sherman Gilbert II  [/b] [/color] 12  [color=red][b]Coldspring[/b][/color]  Coldspring  Texas  DB   5-9.5  155   [b][color=red]4.69[/color]  [/b] 4.75  31.0  28.0  57.54  

http://rise.espn.go.com/football/articles/2010/02/28-houston-results.aspx
http://www.sportsweave.com/combines/2010/2010_results_friendswood.pdf

Am I missing something??  I ran faster than that in my day....heck we had a kid that ran 4.3-4.2 that was too stupid to get into college and the assumption that the apple don't fall far from the tree ain't correct all the time boys...  

I wish my Trojans the best, but if #80 gets his hands on Gilbert, he'll rip'em apart and CS will be a 1 back back field the remainder of the game...

[quote name="Trigger" post="934450" timestamp="1292544287"]
Name                Class [color=red][b]High School[/b]   [/color] City       State  Pos.  Hgt.  Wgt.   [b][color=red]40[/color][/b]      SH VJ PB SPARQ
[color=red][b]Sherman Gilbert II  [/b] [/color] 12  [color=red][b]Coldspring[/b][/color]  Coldspring  Texas  DB   5-9.5  155   [b][color=red]4.69[/color]  [/b] 4.75  31.0  28.0  57.54  

Am I missing something??  I ran faster than that in my day....heck we had a kid that ran 4.3-4.2 that was too stupid to get into college and the assumption that the apple don't fall far from the tree ain't correct all the time boys...  

I wish my Trojans the best, but if #80 gets his hands on Gilbert, he'll rip'em apart and CS will be a 1 back back field the remainder of the game...
[/quote] you said a mouth full ( IF)

[quote name="OUTLAW69" post="934510" timestamp="1292550872"]
[quote author=Trigger link=topic=77333.msg934450#msg934450 date=1292544287]

[/quote] you said a mouth full ( IF)
[/quote]

we go one step beyond "keeping it real"...we keep it "fo real"

He most definitely doesn't run a 4.69....He ran that with a sore/bad hammy...He didn't want to run at the combine but he was instructed to anyway....He might not be quite as fast as his brother yet but he's not far behind....

Coldspring has at least 3-4 other players that run 4.5's or a tad better and he's easily faster than any of them...

[quote name="MEM" post="934546" timestamp="1292554627"]
He most definitely doesn't run a 4.69....He ran that with a sore/bad hammy...He didn't want to run at the combine but he was instructed to anyway....He might not be quite as fast as his brother yet but he's not far behind....

Coldspring has at least 3-4 other players that run 4.5's or a tad better and he's easily faster than any of them...
[/quote]i'll say this CS has a history of having some burners on the quad. Does CS have any more of those Sparks kids??

[quote name="MEM" post="934546" timestamp="1292554627"]

[/quote]

So you're basically trying to tell us that he would have been the fastest kid on the entire list at that combine...right, sure  Look dude, their #80 (Kendall Thompson) with his 4.7-4.6 speed will be more than sufficient to cover sideline to sideline, so [b]IF[/b] Sherman or Cody gets a break, it'll probably be luck

Theres a difference between timed speed and game speed, hence many of Shermans "break aways".  However, it might get crazy if that #80 gets "geeked up" when he sees Sherman with the ball... [b]anything can happen when adrenaline kicks in[/b]...just saying

Its the Coldspring System that Barbay has in place thats special; thats the coaches & their schemes...Don't assume that the athletes they have are superior, otherwise all the big boys (D1) would be knocking at their door and apparently that ain't happening except for Matt Wilson & (at 6'7" and 270 go figure) and the mighty Houston Cougars...

[quote name="Trigger" post="934558" timestamp="1292555991"]

So you are basically trying to tell us he would have been the fastest kid on the entire list...right, sure
[/quote]

If you came to that conclusion (from something I posted) you have reading comprehension issues...I referenced no list...

[quote name="MEM" post="934573" timestamp="1292557664"]
[quote author=Trigger link=topic=77333.msg934558#msg934558 date=1292555991]

So you are basically trying to tell us he would have been the fastest kid on the entire list...right, sure
[/quote]

If you came to that conclusion (from something I posted) you have reading comprehension issues...I referenced no list...
[/quote]

No, I did...
I referenced two lists; 2 URL's... providing proof from the same combine of his 40 times.  ;)

[quote name="Mr. Coldspring" post="934561" timestamp="1292556367"]
ITS NPT GONNA HAPPEN DUDE, HE'S A TO SLOW TO GET HIS HANDS ON GILBERT, HOW ABOUT THIS YOU LINE UP WITH HIM NECK TO NECK & SEE IF YOU BEAT HIM!!! IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU A HATER, BECAREFUL WHO YOU PUT YOUR MOUTH ON BECAUSE GILBERT IS NOT THE ONE!!!
[/quote]

In my day, I would have gladly accepted the opportunity; in fact I'd kill to be able to be back out there...

However, thats beside the point.  Kendal Thompson, their #80, is a man playing amongst boys...and Sherman is a boy at 5'9 & 160lbs versus 6'3" & 232 with 4.7-4.6 speed.  I don't care how fast Sherman is; if he don't get the blocks, he don't get out of the backfield...its that simple.  It'll take team speed to counter their defense and I don't believe the o-line of the Trojans has the speed to take #80 out of the picture entirely.  He ain't an easy block, which is why he's going to the big leagues...but we'll see what Barbay has up the sleeve tomorrow afternoon.  If they take #80 out, then Barbay is a "Harry Houdini" ::)

It'll all come down to the team who makes the least mistakes and controls the ball with a few breaks. I just won't be betting any money on my boys and for the record, as a former Trojan, I'm not a hater.  I know my football & I will be rooting for my Trojans, but "Ima gunna keep it 4 reel, 4 sho".  

Man, there sure are a lot of 3A Div. II teams that would love to get on that bus to Arlington in the morning, eh?

But only two have earned that right.

Safe travels to all, and here's hoping both teams play the game of their lives; may the best team win.

Go Dawgs!!

Go Pearland Oilers!!

[quote name="Trigger" post="934593" timestamp="1292559582"]
[quote author=Mr. Coldspring link=topic=77333.msg934561#msg934561 date=1292556367]
ITS NPT GONNA HAPPEN DUDE, HE'S A TO SLOW TO GET HIS HANDS ON GILBERT, HOW ABOUT THIS YOU LINE UP WITH HIM NECK TO NECK & SEE IF YOU BEAT HIM!!! IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU A HATER, BECAREFUL WHO YOU PUT YOUR MOUTH ON BECAUSE GILBERT IS NOT THE ONE!!!
[/quote]

In my day, I would have gladly accepted the opportunity; in fact I'd kill to be able to be back out there...

However, thats beside the point.  Kendal Thompson, their #80, is a man playing amongst boys...and Sherman is a boy at 5'9 & 160lbs versus 6'3" & 232 with 4.7-4.6 speed.  I don't care how fast Sherman
is; if he don't get the blocks, he don't get out of the backfield...its that simple.  It'll take team speed to
counter their defense and I don't believe the o-line of the Trojans has the speed to take #80 out of the
picture entirely.  He ain't an easy block, which is why he's going to the big leagues...but we'll see what
Barbay has up the sleeve tomorrow afternoon.  If they take #80 out, then Barbay is a "Harry Houdini" ::)q

It'll all come down to the team who makes the least mistakes and controls the ball with a few breaks. I just won't be betting any money on my boys and for the record, as a former Trojan, I'm not a hater.  I
know my football & I will be rooting for my Trojans, but "Ima gunna keep it 4 reel, 4 sho"  

[/quote]

A former Trojan..."keeping it 4 reel, 4 show". This is a unique post for a "former" Trojan. You must be a Trojan from the 80's because anyone who experienced Peveto and knew about the WE BELIEVE philosophy would not doubt...... Speechless...you probably don't know about "Nobody".

Oh...I know... You never played for the Trojans, you were probably a former coach... Nuff said... GO Trojans... Oh and by the way, Coach Barbay has been working a little magic for the past four years.

Go Trojans!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder