It's haircut or get cut in Silsbee basketball

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, everyone is saying that it is not a big deal and that no one is arguring but this stupid topic is on its 7th page.  You are playing right into the hands of CLeveland and HJ.  Which I dont care either way, I was trying to let you know, why dont somebody from Silsbee start a positive topic and we can talk about it.

[quote name="bigdog90" post="929690" timestamp="1291948349"]
i agree with coach T . thats why in  this society we have teenagers do what they do no discipline.coach T im behind you 100% keep up the good work you have a very good program in silsbee.
[/quote]You obviously didn't read the prior 6 pages... These kids do EVERYTHING right.  But you're talking about they need discipline... 

[quote name="east texas bb" post="929741" timestamp="1291952696"]
Well, everyone is saying that it is not a big deal and that no one is arguring but this stupid topic is on its 7th page.  You are playing right into the hands of CLeveland and HJ.  Which I dont care either way, I was trying to let you know, why dont somebody from Silsbee start a positive topic and we can talk about it.
[/quote]

I have yet to see any player or coach from Silsbee post on this subject so I am not sure I understand what you are talking about.

This is not an issue of the current players or coaches. They are fine with it. Nobody is playing into any hand. The fans posting about this subject will not lose or win any game for Silsbee, that's a fact.

Again, this has been a policy for years and years under Coach Williams, has not been a problem until this year when it was implemented at the middle school and two crying mommas went to the papers about it. That's the fact Jack!!

You never know who you are talking to on an anonymous thread.  I dont know if it is players or coaches.  I do know there are alot of coaches on here trying to hide behind a false name.  But that was not my point.  I was just trying to help the people from Silsbee realize that you dont see HJ on here with a thread about haircuts.  They are discussing winning and losing and getting better. I am sorry if I said something someone did not want to hear, jsut trying to make a point that the entire town should come together and not fight each other over haircuts and get down to making another run at state.  I felt like I was on your side in this argument.  If you want to keep argueing about hair that fine.  Just trying to make a point that might help.  I know that it has been a policy for years, I read the article, that was not my point.  My point was that everyone in town should get behind there Tigers and program and quit bickering about a dang haircut.

[quote name="east texas bb" post="929798" timestamp="1291961603"]
You never know who you are talking to on an anonymous thread.  I dont know if it is players or coaches.  I do know there are alot of coaches on here trying to hide behind a false name.  But that was not my point.  I was just trying to help the people from Silsbee realize that you dont see HJ on here with a thread about haircuts.  They are discussing winning and losing and getting better. I am sorry if I said something someone did not want to hear, jsut trying to make a point that the entire town should come together and not fight each other over haircuts and get down to making another run at state.  I felt like I was on your side in this argument.  If you want to keep argueing about hair that fine.  Just trying to make a point that might help.  I know that it has been a policy for years, I read the article, that was not my point.  My point was that everyone in town should get behind there Tigers and program and quit bickering about a dang haircut.
[/quote]

That  point is well taken.  However,  to my knowledge no Silsbee person has come on this thread and said anything against this policy.  The ones that have are fans of other teams in this area.  The only negative voices from Silsbee have been those in the article from the 2 parents AAW is referring to.  As far as the rule itself,  I personally may don't care what a players hair looks like as long as it is not a distraction,  but I am not the Coach.  It is the rule the Coach has made so if you want to play you follow the rules.  If a players hairstyle is more important to him than the team then he can sit in the stands and watch with whatever hairstyle he chooses!.

[quote name="ST413" post="929800" timestamp="1291962178"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=77234.msg929798#msg929798 date=1291961603]
You never know who you are talking to on an anonymous thread.  I dont know if it is players or coaches.  I do know there are alot of coaches on here trying to hide behind a false name.  But that was not my point.  I was just trying to help the people from Silsbee realize that you dont see HJ on here with a thread about haircuts.  They are discussing winning and losing and getting better. I am sorry if I said something someone did not want to hear, jsut trying to make a point that the entire town should come together and not fight each other over haircuts and get down to making another run at state.  I felt like I was on your side in this argument.  If you want to keep argueing about hair that fine.  Just trying to make a point that might help.  I know that it has been a policy for years, I read the article, that was not my point.  My point was that everyone in town should get behind there Tigers and program and quit bickering about a dang haircut.
[/quote]

That  point is well taken.  However,  to my knowledge no Silsbee person has come on this thread and said anything against this policy.  The ones that have are fans of other teams in this area.  The only negative voices from Silsbee have been those in the article from the 2 parents AAW is referring to.  As far as the rule itself,  I personally may don't care what a players hair looks like as long as it is not a distraction,  but I am not the Coach.  It is the rule the Coach has made so if you want to play you follow the rules.  If a players hairstyle is more important to him than the team then he can sit in the stands and watch with whatever hairstyle he chooses!.

[/quote]Good points!

[quote name="east texas bb" post="929798" timestamp="1291961603"]
You never know who you are talking to on an anonymous thread.  I dont know if it is players or coaches.  I do know there are alot of coaches on here trying to hide behind a false name.  But that was not my point.  I was just trying to help the people from Silsbee realize that you dont see HJ on here with a thread about haircuts.  They are discussing winning and losing and getting better. I am sorry if I said something someone did not want to hear, jsut trying to make a point that the entire town should come together and not fight each other over haircuts and get down to making another run at state.  I felt like I was on your side in this argument.  If you want to keep argueing about hair that fine.  Just trying to make a point that might help.  I know that it has been a policy for years, I read the article, that was not my point.  My point was that everyone in town should get behind there Tigers and program and quit bickering about a dang haircut.
[/quote]

And you are missing my point. Being that I am an admin here, I have the capabilities of knowing who most of the posters are. The ones that have commented negatively towards this issue are a Beaumont resident, a Sour Lake resident and an Abilene resident, 3 guys I know personally and none of which has anything to do with Silsbee. Sure, they can voice their opinions but it's not Silsbee folks on here doing the argueing against the policy. The town of Silsbee is not up in arms about it like you are stating. It's two crying mommas like I have tried to explain to you, that is all.

Sure, it's a topic that can and should be discussed, but you are trying to make it out like the whole town is up at arms about it, and that simply isn't the case.

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="929897" timestamp="1291996081"]
Aggiearewe why do you even waste the time to type talking to some of these people. Sounds to me its a bunch of outsiders wanting to start crap with the Silsbee community. Don't waste your time trying to explain what's been written in a Enterprise article.
[/quote]I've spoken my say on the issue and have been finished.  but it's you that flew on here keeping it going.  And as far as an 'outsider', I'm in Silsbee way more than you think...

[quote name="BMTSoulja1" post="929917" timestamp="1291997930"]
[quote author=BADSANTA link=topic=77234.msg929897#msg929897 date=1291996081]
Aggiearewe why do you even waste the time to type talking to some of these people. Sounds to me its a bunch of outsiders wanting to start crap with the Silsbee community. Don't waste your time trying to explain what's been written in a Enterprise article.
[/quote]I've spoken my say on the issue and have been finished.  but it's you that flew on here keeping it going.  And as far as an 'outsider', I'm in Silsbee way more than you think...
[/quote]

Yea but you go for Central not Silsbee thats his point. ;)

Let me just say, when you are out on a basketball you are front and center in front of the entire audience.  People judge you as an athlete based on your appearance, grooming, heighth, attitude and skill level.  By having your team look groomed and respectful you take some of the judgement out of the picture, and it gives more time to see the athlete.  I do not know why people have such a hard time letting kids learn self-disicipline.  I would also like to see rules in place that make the boys wear pants that fit, I am tired of seeing rears hanging out on the court.

Lead by example people.  People want everything to be easy and freedom of expression, what about team values working for the greater good of the school, team, community and the world.

I am just saying.......................By the way I do have a son that plays basketball, and I make him keep a neat haircut, pants that fit, and no sweat bands, no funky socks, and he wears the shoes the team provides.  He is part of the team when he walks on the court, not an indvidual for those 4 quarters.

[quote name="Pupmom" post="930017" timestamp="1292006084"]
Let me just say, when you are out on a basketball you are front and center in front of the entire audience.  People judge you as an athlete based on your appearance, grooming, heighth, attitude and skill level.  By having your team look groomed and respectful you take some of the judgement out of the picture, and it gives more time to see the athlete.  I do not know why people have such a hard time letting kids learn self-disicipline.  I would also like to see rules in place that make the boys wear pants that fit, I am tired of seeing rears hanging out on the court.

Lead by example people.  People want everything to be easy and freedom of expression, what about team values working for the greater good of the school, team, community and the world.

I am just saying.......................By the way I do have a son that plays basketball, and I make him keep a neat haircut, pants that fit, and no sweat bands, no funky socks, and he wears the shoes the team provides.  He is part of the team when he walks on the court, not an indvidual for those 4 quarters.
[/quote]Your skills are not judged by how you look.  If you have been around any kind of Basketball, you should know that.  the big slioppy looking slow kid may be the high flyer.  So that throws your theory out of the window.  The kids already know self discipline.  They are winning they have good sportsmanship and they do everything they are asked to out of their coach!  (Why is it so hard for folks to understand this concept?)

I'm not a fan of 'slabbing' (pants falling off your rear), but i'm also not a fan of those old timing high shorts that comes up the middle of your thigh (seems like that's what you prefer to see). 

And sweatbands?  Their for 'sweat'!  Stops the sweat from goign in your eyes.  And you want it to match your uniform.  (I can tell that you have never played a lick of basketball before).  Basketball shoes?  If the team provides them, then so be it.  If he wants another pair of shoes, they will  need to be the color of the shoes the team provides. 

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="929787" timestamp="1291957325"]
[quote author=east texas bb link=topic=77234.msg929741#msg929741 date=1291952696]
[/quote]

I have yet to see any player or coach from Silsbee post on this subject so I am not sure I understand what you are talking about.

This is [b]not an issue of the current players or coaches. They are fine with it.[/b] Nobody is playing into any hand. The fans posting about this subject will not lose or win any game for Silsbee, that's a fact.

Again, this has been a policy for years and years under Coach Williams, has not been a problem until this year when it was implemented at the middle school and two crying mommas went to the papers about it. That's the fact Jack!!
[/quote]

well, they don't really have a choice, do they?  i mean, technically they do, but it's not much of one.  i'm sure there are several who don't like the rule, but what can they do? 

[quote name="BADSANTA" post="929897" timestamp="1291996081"]
[/quote]

as with scooter, i'm not trying to "start anything".  i'm just stating my opinion. 

I am a former student part of Silsbee High School basketball organization. I spent three years in the basketball organization. Each year I had an afro when basketball season started. I was very frustrated each year he told me to get a haircut (meaning a fade), no hair whatsoever and I do so otherwise. Now it been a couple of years since I graduated and I really respect what he doing. In the long run it does teaches respect and discipline. Like it was stated, Coach William can not tell a player to get a haircut but he can tell him who can play on his team. Being a college student he did teach me about my appearance being recognize and how that appearance goes a long way when it comes to job interview, etc. Kids will still be kids but I wish the policy stayed in high school because the jr. high kids would feel discouraged to play and where would the program go if the jr. high students are not participating anymore when they get in high school. The program could falter, that my only problem with the policy. I do not want to see tradition dying because students in jr. high doesn't like the policy.

[quote name="Babyboi_Prettyboi" post="930059" timestamp="1292009338"]
I am a former student part of Silsbee High School basketball organization. I spent three years in the basketball organization. Each year I had an afro when basketball season started. I was very frustrated each year he told me to get a haircut (meaning a fade), no hair whatsoever and I do so otherwise. Now it been a couple of years since I graduated and I really respect what he doing. In the long run it does teaches respect and discipline. Like it was stated, Coach William can not tell a player to get a haircut but he can tell him who can play on his team. Being a college student he did teach me about my appearance being recognize and how that appearance goes a long way when it comes to job interview, etc. Kids will still be kids but I wish the policy stayed in high school because the jr. high kids would feel discouraged to play and where would the program go if the jr. high students are not participating anymore when they get in high school. The program could falter, that my only problem with the policy. I do not want to see tradition dying because students in jr. high doesn't like the policy.
[/quote]

Good post!

I totally agree with this coach.  I feel it is teaching these boys discipline and respect.  When the new dress code policy was enforced on the middle school boys in HF, there was all kinds of complaining by the boys until it came down to dress right or don't play.  They played because they dressed the way their coach told them.  I can only think of one or two that didn't play.  If these boys want to play basketball, they'll follow the rules.

Soulja, I respect what you have to say, but like it or not, society judges EVERYONE by how a person looks before they even open their mouth.  Also, if you look the part, you'll be more inclined to play the part.  If you look neat and tidy, you'll act neat and tidy. And, I'm not saying these boys aren't good boys.

I know I just opened myself up to all kinds of comments, good and bad, but that's my 2 cents worth.

A people wonders what happen to Kareon Cartwright from Silsbee.Well he transferred to Central for the school year of 1998,he wanted to play basketball nad David Green told him that he had to have his hair cut by the first day of practice. Well he didnt have it cut and he tried to come to practice and Coach Green turned him around and told him he couldnt be a part of the team.Could we have used him,HECK YEA but we folllowed Coach Green 100%. No one person is above the team and a rule is a rule.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder