Question for the Basketball Gurus!

If your kid is happy at school and doing well academically, stay there. Basketball season can get frustrating but even if your son is the next Michael Jordan, what happens on his school team means nothing. If you think he won't get recruited because of his school team you are wrong. No one gets recruited based on their high school team anymore, unless you get to Austin. Choose your child's school based on academic excellence, crime rate, prevalence of drugs, etc.  If he's a talented athlete, in any sport, get him on a "club" or "select" team in a metropolitan area.  Recruiting is done in the high school off season now. Enjoy high school basketball for what it is.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="doodle" post="916529" timestamp="1290448612"]
If your kid is happy at school and doing well academically, stay there. Basketball season can get frustrating but even if your son is the next Michael Jordan, what happens on his school team means nothing. If you think he won't get recruited because of his school team you are wrong. No one gets recruited based on their high school team anymore, unless you get to Austin. Choose your child's school based on academic excellence, crime rate, prevalence of drugs, etc.  If he's a talented athlete, in any sport, get him on a "club" or "select" team in a metropolitan area.  Recruiting is done in the high school off season now. Enjoy high school basketball for what it is.
[/quote] ;)

[quote name="hawkeye81" post="916405" timestamp="1290437664"]
[quote author=mammagotjuice link=topic=76459.msg916369#msg916369 date=1290434778]
[quote author=Scalabrine link=topic=76459.msg916331#msg916331 date=1290430687]
H.F better players are on J.V and 1 on the Freshman team. If H.F wants to compete on the Varsity level then he's gonna have to play those guys up. Hj is wasting no time grooming their Freshman Sensation (Bosha) who put up 20+ against Ktz in his 1st Varsity game. Oh and he starts...
[/quote]I disagree. The varsity is not void of good players. My biggest issue is pulling the best together....I want to compete...not just play. And this will become a very pivotal issue next year....I want a winning attitude to become infectious and we need to start now. Lastly, this is nothing personal at the coach...happen to like the coach a lot...nice person. Just trying to gain an understanding of the plan. Kudos to HJ for starting early Bosha will gain a lot from the experience.
[/quote]Pivotal issue next year because both your boys will be in high school.  Laying the foundation now?  Would you have started this thread if your freshman was already on varsity?
[/quote]Wow this is a tough crowd...thank God I got tough skin 'cause I am getting a sense of some things that I did not know existed.  Pivotal issue? Yes you are very correct. My 8th grader will be entering 9th grade next year. Right now he is one of the top 5 guards in the State of Texas for 2015 as reported by a very reputable ranking service...not by me. Will he remain one of the top guards in Texas for his age...that remains to be seen. But given the current status, I am very concerned about decisions being made regarding my son. Boastful?..no...Fact?...yes. Level of competition is very important. I see how serious the basketball business becomes on a National level...every summer. And that's any sport on the select level not just basketball. Major D1 Coaches are watching 8th graders at summer showcases.  Secondly, had my son made varsity this year, and I felt that there were other players left out that would be beneficial to the varsity program's success...heck yea, I would post the same question. See, contrary to what you believe that I believe, I know full well that my son cannot win a game single-handedly. I am all about being competitive, expecting to win even when the odds are against you. Lastly, regarding Choice...no one in HF, HJ, Beaumont, etc, will ever make a player leave or even infer that a player leave until when or[i][b] if[/b][/i] he/she so chooses to leave. I am very firm on that notion!

[quote name="doodle" post="916529" timestamp="1290448612"]
[/quote]Yes, What you are saying is mostly true. Because an initial recruitment letter for the oldest came recently, and I know it was because of "LIVE" event appearances during summer ball. So, with that I am now digressing and will remain in observation mode. Thanks so much for the redirection.

With aau teams starting at 10 and up, yes they start looking at them young. So much so that NCAA has extended recruiting rules to include junior high kids. And YES, there ARE rankings at that age.  Do the kids live up to them 4 years later? Who knows? But if kids are playing, and people are watching, someone is ranking. lol

I understand that, but is it good for the kids to be ranked that early in their development.  This is my opinion, so no need to bash me for this, if you pay to play the coaches or person running the program is going to tell you what you want to hear.  Their sole purpose is to make money and for them to stay in business they need consistency in those who pay for their services.  Again my opinion, right or wrong!

[quote name="oldman" post="916615" timestamp="1290453938"]
I understand that, but is it good for the kids to be ranked that early in their development.   This is my opinion, so no need to bash me for this, if you pay to play the coaches or person running the program is going to tell you what you want to hear.  Their sole purpose is to make money and for them to stay in business they need consistency in those who pay for their services.  Again my opinion, right or wrong!
[/quote]Sure rankings can be a bad thing at a young age. But parents have to keep their kids at a leveled thinking process. Nothing really matters until you hit the 9th grade and then it becomes a business. You gotta keep working at it. But you don't punish a kid for working hard to be better either. You have coaches out there who will try and hold back players, sometimes because they don't want to appear to show favortism. But talent seems to find a way to overcome this type of coaching behavior.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="916668" timestamp="1290456804"]
Hunter is listed as a Beaumont resident. Why is that?
[/quote]I think his parents live in Beaumont and he pays HF to attend there.

•live with their parents inside the school district attendance zone their first year of attendance (see your school administrator for exceptions),

If your staying where you are for the season, keep working hard and play when and where you are allowed. have you already talked to the coach and asked him the same question. My son is on varsity at a small school. He works hard, but of course there is always room for improvement. It is a young team, with a few key normal starters out with injuries and grades. 

There are several schools you do take transfers in this area as well.  Lots of kids on those middle school list are talented, but never reach the potential the list says they  have. Kids quit for all kinds of reason, including playing other sports. I have heard coaches say, do not take much into those list. Your son is talented, has potential. I am learning patience is the key.  There is a top 100 middle school list for the Houston area, seen the list, and have seen my son and other kids put most on the list away early, as i am sure you  have seen with your son.

it could be a pride issue for a coach, "this is my varsity team"...... and he is sticking to it. i do not know this coach, but have seen that as well over the years. He may or may not get alot of playing time on Varsity and can help out the other teams. you should ask the coach what his plans are, then make your decision for next year.

Wow. I don't want to move I just want to complain.  Sure that your kids can read and see that you would rather hold them back at a school that has a top Little dribbler program that fizzles out in HS, then to move them to a challenging program at P.A.M. HJ or Silsbee.  You are right just keep complaining and your kids will learn that all that matters is to get on a message board and play the old blame game.  When that Little dribbler team stomped on the HF varsity did that not clue you in!!!!!!!!  You should have had your mighty Little Dribblers play HJ or Silsbee those are the teams you are measured against.  Hope the manager that the HF kids has talks to the parents and get those kids to a school where proper basketball training takes place.  Kids please tell your parents that you need a bigger challenge then to start on a team that has not won 10 district games in basketball in the last 5 years combined..

[quote name="Choice" post="916721" timestamp="1290462156"]
Wow. I don't want to move I just want to complain.  Sure that your kids can read and see that you would rather hold them back at a school that has a top Little dribbler program that fizzles out in HS, then to move them to a challenging program at P.A.M. HJ or Silsbee.  You are right just keep complaining and your kids will learn that all that matters is to get on a message board and play the old blame game.  When that Little dribbler team stomped on the HF varsity did that not clue you in!!!!!!!!  You should have had your mighty Little Dribblers play HJ or Silsbee those are the teams you are measured against.  Hope the manager that the HF kids has talks to the parents and get those kids to a school where proper basketball training takes place.  Kids please tell your parents that you need a bigger challenge then to start on a team that has not won 10 district games in basketball in the last 5 years combined..
[/quote]Chill bro! It ain't that serious, trust me. I was stating facts. The kids already have a bigger challenge, more than you will ever realize. High school ball is preparation for summer ball. Where it really counts  :o

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="915584" timestamp="1290363021"]
I am not a basketball "guru" and really have no "hidden agenda"...well maybe I do... but I have a question that needs a plausible answer...I am perplexed! If a Varsity Coach has a few great players on Freshman, JV, and Varsity and your Varsity is not winning, why would a coach not pull from each of those disciplines to make THE STRONGEST team of the three? Why would it be okay to be MOSTLY concerned about the lower disciplines staying strong while your Varsity has the weakest record. Does that REALLY make sense? Help me professionals! ???
[/quote]

This year from my understanding Silsbee has 1 or 2 guys on the freshman team that could play on Varsity and the reason I got from coaches on why they are staying on the freshman squad is because they don’t want to break up the chemistry of that class apart

That might apply in your situation

The coach might want to keep a group of players together and have them develop together instead of breaking them apart

Some teams have down years and you just get thru that and move on to the next

[quote name="Tiger05" post="916734" timestamp="1290463497"]
[quote author=mammagotjuice link=topic=76459.msg915584#msg915584 date=1290363021]
I am not a basketball "guru" and really have no "hidden agenda"...well maybe I do... but I have a question that needs a plausible answer...I am perplexed! If a Varsity Coach has a few great players on Freshman, JV, and Varsity and your Varsity is not winning, why would a coach not pull from each of those disciplines to make THE STRONGEST team of the three? Why would it be okay to be MOSTLY concerned about the lower disciplines staying strong while your Varsity has the weakest record. Does that REALLY make sense? Help me professionals! ???
[/quote]

This year from my understanding Silsbee has 1 or 2 guys on the freshman team that could play on Varsity and the reason I got from coaches on why they are staying on the freshman squad is because they don’t want to break up the chemistry of that class apart

That might apply in your situation

The coach might want to keep a group of players together and have them develop together instead of breaking them apart

Some teams have down years and you just get thru that and move on to the next

[/quote]LOL! I called a coaching buddy of mine in East Texas and thats what he said. It's a way to keep little Johnny playing, even though little Johnny is not the best athlete. yeah, I heard the HF coach said the same thing. Silsbee has some good athletes and I can understand their coaches saying that. :D

the truth of the matter is this some people will never understand the aau circuit. some would fault you and your kids for getting them better. bottom line is if the kid can play under the big lights find some school who would let him.P.A.M has a freshman starting on varsity and its a football school and he was a stud on the football field just glad the coaches are willing to let him find his way.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="916749" timestamp="1290465159"]
Dove, you say you "heard" the HF coach state that? I figured that was a conversation that you two have already had along with your wife momma. ;D Should have been first hand knowledge, not hearsay. ;)
[/quote]Can you please let him respond for himself. He on here too ;)

[quote name="ballin4life" post="916762" timestamp="1290465856"]
the truth of the matter is this some people will never understand the aau circuit. some would fault you and your kids for getting them better. bottom line is if the kid can play under the big lights find some school who would let him.P.A.M has a freshman starting on varsity and its a football school and he was a stud on the football field just glad the coaches are willing to let him find his way.
[/quote]The lights are big, aren't they. But you do speak the truth. They don't want to understand...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder