Question for the Basketball Gurus!

F[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="916190" timestamp="1290395929"]
Glad to know the boys can overcome and decide for themselves.

FYI, I hear Kelly and Legacy need some good players. ;) ;D
[/quote]wow...now I am getting booted out of longhorn country by the insightful insider...LOL. Well, maybe we should suspend this conversation and have an all out discussion midseason since someone said its too early for assessment. In the end what it boils down to is that ALOT of sacrifice and hardwork is put in...far more than most people I know. This is not just a pastime. Being under the radar getting recruitment letters is serious business and it feels great when your kid gets one. Free tuition is serious to me. So all I want is for HF to treat basketball with the same respect that football gets...plain and simple. I just want a standard of excellence for the place my kids love.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="txball000" post="916247" timestamp="1290400337"]
Why would a coach invest in a player and push him up to varsity to take playing time from a Senior when "that player" won't be in the program for the long haul?

[/quote]What player would that be? What player on Hfs team that you know told the coach that he was going elsewhere and would not be there for the "long haul"? Now, you are out-sighting the insighted insider. You are obviously privy to some conversations off limits to me...that fly on the wall.  Oh and in the real world....being a senior does not give you some magic pass......that thought process is the problem. When my boys are seniors I hope there are some underclassmen trying to beat them out...keeps them working hard to keep their spot. It will happen in the  collegiate arena and further on into the workforce. Life lessons.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="916260" timestamp="1290401423"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=76459.msg916190#msg916190 date=1290395929]
Glad to know the boys can overcome and decide for themselves.

FYI, I hear Kelly and Legacy need some good players. ;) ;D
[/quote]I do have to admit that Kelly doesn't mind playing a competitive schedule in Houston ;)
[/quote]Dove...been hanging 'round you too long. Now the forum loves to hate me too...LOL. You are rubbing off. Next, I'll be getting kicked off....LOL!

[quote name="txball000" post="916247" timestamp="1290400337"]
Why would a coach invest in a player and push him up to varsity to take playing time from a Senior when "that player" won't be in the program for the long haul?

[/quote]Who told you "the player" would not be in the program for the long haul ??? ???

[quote name="Sea Aggie" post="916160" timestamp="1290394278"]
[quote author=hitchpin link=topic=76459.msg916064#msg916064 date=1290389564]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=76459.msg916050#msg916050 date=1290388815]
believe me it aint your basketball coach that is makin em lift on gamedays
[/quote]

are yall serious they weight train on GAME DAY??? like full workout or light load?
[/quote]

Any weight training on game days is stupid, but if you choose to be a multiple sport athlete then you should be dedicated to each sport by giving effort into each respective sport. [b]If there isn't a game on that day and a student only has basketball practice that day then the student should do his lifting for football on that day,[/b] but lifting on game days is totally ignorant on the football and basketball coach's behalf. If I'm not mistaken I have heard that H-F actually has some talented players on varsity this year and if that's true then there is no reason not to see results.
[/quote]

Your saying that [b]during basketball season[/b], basketball players who also play football are expected to lift weights for football if they do not have a basketball game that day. So I would assume that [b]during football season[/b] these same kids practice football [b]and[/b] do their basketball training on Monday thru Thursday?

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="916270" timestamp="1290402432"]
[quote author=txball000 link=topic=76459.msg916247#msg916247 date=1290400337]

[/quote]Who told you "the player" would not be in the program for the long haul ??? ???
[/quote]Maybe it's just a rumor.....you know those rumors can get started in a "flash"  ;)

[quote name="Versey Ledbetter" post="916273" timestamp="1290402528"]
[quote author=Sea Aggie link=topic=76459.msg916160#msg916160 date=1290394278]
[quote author=hitchpin link=topic=76459.msg916064#msg916064 date=1290389564]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=76459.msg916050#msg916050 date=1290388815]
believe me it aint your basketball coach that is makin em lift on gamedays
[/quote]

are yall serious they weight train on GAME DAY??? like full workout or light load?
[/quote]

Any weight training on game days is stupid, but if you choose to be a multiple sport athlete then you should be dedicated to each sport by giving effort into each respective sport. [b]If there isn't a game on that day and a student only has basketball practice that day then the student should do his lifting for football on that day,[/b] but lifting on game days is totally ignorant on the football and basketball coach's behalf. If I'm not mistaken I have heard that H-F actually has some talented players on varsity this year and if that's true then there is no reason not to see results.
[/quote]

Your saying that [b]during basketball season[/b], basketball players who also play football are expected to lift weights for football if they do not have a basketball game that day. So I would assume that [b]during football season[/b] these same kids practice football [b]and[/b] do their basketball training on Monday thru Thursday?
[/quote]clarification: even players that do not play football are lifting weights on game day..so I am told. I am all for weights but not on game day.

[quote name="txball000" post="916285" timestamp="1290404023"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=76459.msg916270#msg916270 date=1290402432]

[/quote]Maybe it's just a rumor.....you know those rumors can get started in a "flash"  ;)
[/quote] Flash? Now that's interesting.  Well...as u said...you know those rumors.

Coaches have different reason for not playing freshman on the Varsity.  Some have a "rule" about it, although it might not be a smart move on their part.  Pride may be bigger then brain.  Some may hear "rumors", read message boards, etc and think if that player or players parent is not happy with the program they have in place, why would the coach want them on varsity. You never know the reasons things happen.  Keep working hard, do your best when you get your chance, if this is the season you have to endure.  It is also way early in the season, hopefully it will get better by district.

H.F better players are on J.V and 1 on the Freshman team. If H.F wants to compete on the Varsity level then he's gonna have to play those guys up. Hj is wasting no time grooming their Freshman Sensation (Bosha) who put up 20+ against Ktz in his 1st Varsity game. Oh and he starts...

[quote name="mfd814" post="916310" timestamp="1290412609"]
Coaches have different reason for not playing freshman on the Varsity.  Some have a "rule" about it, although it might not be a smart move on their part.  Pride may be bigger then brain.  Some may hear "rumors", read message boards, etc and think if that player or players parent is not happy with the program they have in place, why would the coach want them on varsity. You never know the reasons things happen.  Keep working hard, do your best when you get your chance, if this is the season you have to endure.  It is also way early in the season, hopefully it will get better by district.
[/quote]until now...I have never disclosed any displeasure whatsoever....shame on them for following rumors. But if a kid deserves to play at higher level of comp and has the biggest heart and strongest work ethic district wide. Not to mention a winning attitude and doesn't get rewarded...that's foul.  Right now no one at Hamshire is superstar player but some do have great potential. Also if your son has been rewarded for his talent and hard work then you are probably not in the position to have fully understand. But the fate is accepted....and those players will continue to go out each day and contribute to their teams.  As you know, Summer ball will be here before you know it.

[quote name="Scalabrine" post="916331" timestamp="1290430687"]
H.F better players are on J.V and 1 on the Freshman team. If H.F wants to compete on the Varsity level then he's gonna have to play those guys up. Hj is wasting no time grooming their Freshman Sensation (Bosha) who put up 20+ against Ktz in his 1st Varsity game. Oh and he starts...
[/quote]I disagree. The varsity is not void of good players. My biggest issue is pulling the best together....I want to compete...not just play. And this will become a very pivotal issue next year....I want a winning attitude to become infectious and we need to start now. Lastly, this is nothing personal at the coach...happen to like the coach a lot...nice person. Just trying to gain an understanding of the plan. Kudos to HJ for starting early Bosha will gain a lot from the experience.

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="916291" timestamp="1290405366"]
[quote author=txball000 link=topic=76459.msg916285#msg916285 date=1290404023]

[/quote] Flash? Now that's interesting.  Well...as u said...you know those rumors.
[/quote]"Flash" [color=blue]made the decision [/color] to play @ Hamshire. Thats all that matters ;)

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="916369" timestamp="1290434778"]
[quote author=Scalabrine link=topic=76459.msg916331#msg916331 date=1290430687]
[/quote]I disagree. The varsity is not void of good players. My biggest issue is pulling the best together....I want to compete...not just play. And this will become a very pivotal issue next year....I want a winning attitude to become infectious and we need to start now. Lastly, this is nothing personal at the coach...happen to like the coach a lot...nice person. Just trying to gain an understanding of the plan. Kudos to HJ for starting early Bosha will gain a lot from the experience.
[/quote]I'm just sitting back reading.....enjoying the dialogue. ;D

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="916377" timestamp="1290435315"]
[quote author=mammagotjuice link=topic=76459.msg916291#msg916291 date=1290405366]

[/quote]"Flash" [color=blue]made the decision [/color] to play @ Hamshire. Thats all that matters ;)
[/quote]Made the decision for [b]this[/b] year......what about the future?

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="916369" timestamp="1290434778"]
[quote author=Scalabrine link=topic=76459.msg916331#msg916331 date=1290430687]
[/quote]Pivotal issue next year because both your boys will be in high school.  Laying the foundation now?  Would you have started this thread if your freshman was already on varsity?

[quote name="txball000" post="916396" timestamp="1290437110"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=76459.msg916377#msg916377 date=1290435315]
[quote author=mammagotjuice link=topic=76459.msg916291#msg916291 date=1290405366]

[/quote]Made the decision for [b]this[/b] year......what about the future?
[/quote] "Flash" made the decision to attend his choice of schools.  ;)

[quote name="speechless" post="915709" timestamp="1290370086"]
[quote]But circuit training on game day? Thats 30-45 minutes of extra gym time and skill development those kids could use. [/quote]

it aint basketball season in hf it is football offseason tried to tell yall that when they made the hire
[/quote]After the way HF has looked the last few years in football, I'm not sure I would make this claim..... ;)

Now that I've caught up to this part of the thread, I see your point.  That's incredible, demanding the kids to lift weights on game day.  Perhaps its part of the conditioning process?  Perhaps it will ease up when district rolls around.  If that's the case, it may not be a bad idea.

You never know what talent the kids truly have until they realize how deep they can draw on their reserves.

Regarding the Opening Post - Mama - has the coach expressed his plans for the freshman and JV stars?  I know Coach Sutherland agonized over whether to move Bosha up to Varsity.  He wasn't sure if Bosha would be ready for the increased speed of Varsity, but Kountze's speed and quickness was a good opening test for the kid.

I wouldn't assume that the rosters are automatically locked in for the full year.  Coaches may bring players up to go to tournaments or these holiday games and test the kids - that's what I would do if I was coaching and had a young prodigy.

[quote name="FanintheStands" post="916427" timestamp="1290440110"]
Regarding the Opening Post - Mama - has the coach expressed his plans for the freshman and JV stars?  I know Coach Sutherland agonized over whether to move Bosha up to Varsity.  He wasn't sure if Bosha would be ready for the increased speed of Varsity, but Kountze's speed and quickness was a good opening test for the kid.

I wouldn't assume that the rosters are automatically locked in for the full year.  Coaches may bring players up to go to tournaments or these holiday games and test the kids - that's what I would do if I was coaching and had a young prodigy.
[/quote]So hard to stay out of this thread ;) :-X :-X  Okay, the crab (9th graders) would be your quickest player on the varsity...imma stop :-X

The interesting thing about this post is that a freshman is not getting to play where their parents want them or feel they should play.  I wonder how much this or any parent that has this complaint truly loves their child.  I would think that any injustice and especially one as grave as not playing varsity for a team that when you combine their district wins it would take you 5 years to get to more than ten wins!!  MOVE and move now.  Yeah that makes too much sense and allows you to play the blame game.  Take your talents to other schools if it is a boy basketball player I think there is quite a few programs close by that win state so pick up and move.  Don't complain and open up threads like this be a person of action, that is of course if you want what is best for your child.  I think the person that opened this thread said do not bring academics into the conversation, so please do not give me any reason why you do not already have your house on the market and plan on renting in Silsbee or the HJ school district before district tips off.

[quote name="bballgod" post="915977" timestamp="1290383848"]
I am sure that there are many things that the coach has to take into consideration.  First, he is looking out for what is best for the entire team.  Not just your son.  Second, what is going to be best for that player.  Playing limited minutes in a Varsity game or playing a lot of minutes in a JV game and going against the varsity in practice.  I am sure that Coach Richards has taken all of these things into consideration.  Man it is a little early for this.  Why do you think they are going to be that bad.  The only lost to Vidor by 12 and beat the crap out of Deweyville.  1-1 is not that bad.  Give the team some time to get going.

Also,  did you ever think it wasn't his idea to do circuit weights on game day.  Maybe the guy over the entire athletic program is dictating that.  He is called the athletic director.  Just a thought.
[/quote]Okay bballgod, the coach has taken many things into consideration, I agree. But what considerations? Let me give you a very clear picture of something. Being a bballgod, you should understand this: explain how middle school guards can [color=blue]consistently[/color] steal, trap, deny HF varsity guards in several scrimmages?  I repeat, [color=goldenrod]MIDDLE SCHOOL [/color] [color=blue]GUARDS, thats 7&8th graders! [/color]
This is not about one person. You're missing the point. A couple of those middle schoolers are in 9th grade now. More are coming. So as a coach you ignore what you have? Its about the future, putting a competitive team on the floor, winning-you know the word, right? I'm not paying a Booster Club for special privileges. It's just against my nature ;)

Playing a competitive schedule ("ahem"YMBL for example). Please don't insult my basketball experience and knowledge with a comment about a victory over a 2-A program like Deweyville. OOOPS!  :-X :-X

[quote name="Choice" post="916494" timestamp="1290446570"]
The interesting thing about this post is that a freshman is not getting to play where their parents want them or feel they should play.  I wonder how much this or any parent that has this complaint truly loves their child.  I would think that any injustice and especially one as grave as not playing varsity for a team that when you combine their district wins it would take you 5 years to get to more than ten wins!!  MOVE and move now.  Yeah that makes too much sense and allows you to play the blame game.  Take your talents to other schools if it is a boy basketball player I think there is quite a few programs close by that win state so pick up and move.  Don't complain and open up threads like this be a person of action, that is of course if you want what is best for your child.  I think the person that opened this thread said do not bring academics into the conversation, so please do not give me any reason why you do not already have your house on the market and plan on renting in Silsbee or the HJ school district before district tips off.
[/quote]I do have property in PA....hmmm?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder