Question for the Basketball Gurus!

I am not a basketball "guru" and really have no "hidden agenda"...well maybe I do... but I have a question that needs a plausible answer...I am perplexed! If a Varsity Coach has a few great players on Freshman, JV, and Varsity and your Varsity is not winning, why would a coach not pull from each of those disciplines to make THE STRONGEST team of the three? Why would it be okay to be MOSTLY concerned about the lower disciplines staying strong while your Varsity has the weakest record. Does that REALLY make sense? Help me professionals! ???

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="915584" timestamp="1290363021"]
I am not a basketball "guru" and really have no "hidden agenda"...well maybe I do... but I have a question that needs a plausible answer...I am perplexed! If a Varsity Coach has a few great players on Freshman, JV, and Varsity and your Varsity is not winning, why would a coach not pull from each of those disciplines to make THE STRONGEST team of the three? Why would it be okay to be MOSTLY concerned about the lower disciplines staying strong while your Varsity has the weakest record. Does that REALLY make sense? Help me professionals! ???
[/quote]Ask H.F coach!! I hear that the J.V beats up on the Varsity everyday in practice. 

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="915584" timestamp="1290363021"]
[/quote]I've been  :-X about the situation at HF trying to see for myself whats going on. Giving the basketball situation a chance to see if it's a glorified Little Dribblers program or a high school basketball program. I'll continue to watch and if so, I'd like to meet with the coach (s) and hear the direction of the program. But circuit training on game day? Thats 30-45 minutes of extra gym time and skill development those kids could use. And I'm not sure about the JV whipping up on the varsity, but the middle school Little Dribblers did beat the varsity players on several occasions last Spring.

Guest speechless
[quote]But circuit training on game day? Thats 30-45 minutes of extra gym time and skill development those kids could use. [/quote]

it aint basketball season in hf it is football offseason tried to tell yall that when they made the hire

[quote name="Scalabrine" post="915633" timestamp="1290366246"]
[quote author=mammagotjuice link=topic=76459.msg915584#msg915584 date=1290363021]
[/quote]Ask H.F coach!! I hear that the J.V beats up on the Varsity everyday in practice.   
[/quote]Well, I am not bashing the Varsity. They are working hard. My question is more from understanding the coaching rationale. The varsity coach's top priorty should be the Varsity team. Now, do I think my son who is NOT on varsity the final answer...of course not...not saying that at all. However, but he and others on Freshman and JV that could assist the Varsity team greatly. So, if you are probably not going to have a winning season anyhow, why would you not place your younger players with the most potential, with your stronger Varsity team members to gain experience and growing pains now....for later. Does that not make sense to anyone? It obviously makes sense to HJ's coach. In my opinion, in basketball stripes are not earned on how many years you have played but how you produce on the court...whatever works well together.

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="915755" timestamp="1290372698"]
[quote author=Scalabrine link=topic=76459.msg915633#msg915633 date=1290366246]
[quote author=mammagotjuice link=topic=76459.msg915584#msg915584 date=1290363021]
[/quote]Well, I am not bashing the Varsity. They are working hard. My question is more from understanding the coaching rationale. The varsity coach's top priorty should be the Varsity team. Now, do I think my son who is NOT on varsity the final answer...of course not...not saying that at all. However, but he and others on Freshman and JV that could assist the Varsity team greatly. So, if you are probably not going to have a winning season anyhow, why would you not place your younger players with the most potential, with your stronger Varsity team members to gain experience and growing pains now....for later. Does that not make sense to anyone? It obviously makes sense to HJ's coach. In my opinion, in basketball stripes are not earned on how many years you have played but how you produce on the court...whatever works well together.
[/quote] You Are So Right---------- ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="speechless" post="915709" timestamp="1290370086"]
[quote]But circuit training on game day? Thats 30-45 minutes of extra gym time and skill development those kids could use. [/quote]

it aint basketball season in hf it is football offseason tried to tell yall that when they made the hire
[/quote]I assume you are correct b/c anyone who has a wee bit of basketball intellect knows that you DO NOT lift weight or do "circuits" on basketball game day? So, I am left to feel that there is a missing dedication to basketball at HF. Which is total disrespect to the game. I am looking for 100% commitment or nothing! I am looking for the same standard of excellence that I expect at home and on the court. Everything about and around the Varsity coach should eat, sleep, breathe and BLEED BASKETBALL. Now, Coach English does a great job at this b/c everything abt him is basketball, basketball, basketball. I see him grinding out on the tough circuit, getting his team better. I am looking for a program, committed to hardwork, grit, and most of all PRIDE and an expectation of WINNING! The question is, will I ever find this at HF! Oh, and please naysayers, I am only talking abt basketball, education is important but this is a basketball forum. So, don't get on me abt not being abt education and only basketball.

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="915819" timestamp="1290374724"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=76459.msg915709#msg915709 date=1290370086]

[/quote]I assume you are correct b/c anyone who has a wee bit of basketball intellect knows that you DO NOT lift weight or do "circuits" on basketball game day? So, I am left to feel that there is a missing dedication to basketball at HF. Which is total disrespect to the game. I am looking for 100% commitment or nothing! I am looking for the same standard of excellence that I expect at home and on the court. Everything about and around the Varsity coach should eat, sleep, breathe and BLEED BASKETBALL. Now, Coach English does a great job at this b/c everything abt him is basketball, basketball, basketball. I see him grinding out on the tough circuit, getting his team better. I am looking for a program, committed to hardwork, grit, and most of all PRIDE and an expectation of WINNING! The question is, will I ever find this at HF! Oh, and please naysayers, I am only talking abt basketball, education is important but this is a basketball forum. So, don't get on me abt not being abt education and only basketball.
[/quote]

Where are those who criticized me for saying the hire was all about football and nothing else?  The proof is in the pudding and the results in either effort dont justify the approach

[quote name="stevenash" post="915826" timestamp="1290375296"]
[quote author=mammagotjuice link=topic=76459.msg915819#msg915819 date=1290374724]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=76459.msg915709#msg915709 date=1290370086]

[/quote]

Where are those who criticized me for saying the hire was all about football and nothing else?  The proof is in the pudding and the results in either effort dont justify the approach
[/quote]Well, if we were winning in football...then hey, I am game and all for it. But, we did not and are not currently. So, what's the preoccupation and total dedication with Football?

[quote name="no-look" post="915897" timestamp="1290378692"]
Nine out of ten times a freshman is not ready for varsity. Most jv players if they are not on varsity probally dont deserve to be.....but there are exceptions.....it does seem like HF is a football first school and usually other sports get lost in the system.......
[/quote] No Look In 1A FIVE out of TEN IS not Ready.FBB has one freshman starting. It a 5A school. ;D ;D ;D ;D

I am sure that there are many things that the coach has to take into consideration.  First, he is looking out for what is best for the entire team.  Not just your son.  Second, what is going to be best for that player.  Playing limited minutes in a Varsity game or playing a lot of minutes in a JV game and going against the varsity in practice.  I am sure that Coach Richards has taken all of these things into consideration.  Man it is a little early for this.  Why do you think they are going to be that bad.  The only lost to Vidor by 12 and beat the crap out of Deweyville.  1-1 is not that bad.  Give the team some time to get going.

Also,  did you ever think it wasn't his idea to do circuit weights on game day.  Maybe the guy over the entire athletic program is dictating that.  He is called the athletic director.  Just a thought.

You put your best players on the varsity squad PERIOD !!!!!! There are very few freshman or sophomores ready for the varsity but ocasionally you get one and when you do that's where he should play.The weight training should never be done on gamedays and during the week ONLY after floor work is finished.Shooting a basketball is an art and tired arms and legs don't let you learn to do it correctly.HF's basketball record should speak for itself,whatever their doing hasn't been working.

momma and Blue obviously are related. ;) ::)

When will you two be going before the school board demanding that your son be put on the varsity? Even though he may not deserve to be on varsity, it look's much better on his resume, right? ;)

It also looks as though you might be shopping for another school district to attend for athletic reasons.  ;)

That's a no-no. ;)

[quote author=bballgod link=topic=76459.msg915977#msg915977 date=1290383848]
I am sure that there are many things that the coach has to take into consideration.  First, he is looking out for what is best for the entire team.  Not just your son.  Second, what is going to be best for that player.  Playing limited minutes in a Varsity game or playing a lot of minutes in a JV game and going against the varsity in practice.  I am sure that Coach Richards has taken all of these things into consideration.  Man it is a little early for this.  Why do you think they are going to be that bad.  The only lost to Vidor by 12 and beat the crap out of Deweyville.  1-1 is not that bad.  Give the team some time to get going.

Also,  did you ever think it wasn't his idea to do circuit weights on game day.  Maybe the guy over the entire athletic program is dictating that.  He is called the athletic director.  Just a thought.
[/qearly

Yes it is early. But the Deweyville game is not the game to measure by. The 2a team was not very competitive.  Yes, you are right its not all abt my son but read the post again..there are others that could contribute greatly. Lastly, if the AD is dictating circuits...he needs a lesson on basketball training. But you know what.. I will be patient and observe.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="916070" timestamp="1290389889"]

When will you two be going before the school board demanding that your son be put on the varsity? Even though he may not deserve to be on varsity, it look's much better on his resume, right? ;)

It also looks as though you might be shopping for another school district to attend for athletic reasons.  ;)

That's a no-no. ;)
[/quote]I would never beg for a spot for my kid...too much pride. You come out and judge for yourself b/4 you assume that. He does not deserve it. I can accept criticism...that's how you get better. Shopping....you never heard those words. But they can go WHEREVER they choose. Hamshire for now is where they choose. "No no"...its a free country.

[quote name="mammagotjuice" post="916105" timestamp="1290391510"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=76459.msg916070#msg916070 date=1290389889]

That's a no-no. ;)
[/quote]I would never beg for a spot for my kid...too much pride. You come out and judge for yourself b/4 you assume that. He does not deserve it. I can accept criticism...that's how you get better. Shopping....you never heard those words. But they can go WHEREVER they choose. Hamshire for now is where they choose. "No no"...its a free country.
[/quote]

I do have some insight to the HF program, trust me.

As for this being a free country, explain that to the top 50 recruit who has to play JV ball this season over at Houston Yates. ;)

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="916070" timestamp="1290389889"]

That's a no-no. ;)
[/quote]my kissing cousin

???[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="916112" timestamp="1290391823"]
[quote author=mammagotjuice link=topic=76459.msg916105#msg916105 date=1290391510]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=76459.msg916070#msg916070 date=1290389889]

When will you two be going before the school board demanding that your son be put on the varsity? Even though he may not deserve to be on varsity, it look's much better on his resume, right? ; ::)[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table])

It also looks as though you might be shopping for another school district to attend for athletic reasons.  8) ;)

That's a no-no. ;)
[/quote]

I do have some insight to the HF program, trust me.

As for this being a free country, explain that to the top 50 recruit who has to play JV ball this season over at Houston Yates. ;)
[/quote]Based on your earlier posts... clearly realized you have had a few conversations or 2. That was evident. But please do not insult my basketball intelligence by comparing HF to Yates. Those programs are worlds apart! Are you serious? Now you have me questioning your assessment abilities. But maybe we are officially being put in our place....now that's an interesting concept. But "talent and hardwork outshines entitlement any day".

My Yates comparison was to your statement that "it's a free country". I stated that it looked as though you might be shopping for another school for athletic reasons and that is a no-no. You said "it's a free country" and we can go wherever we choose to go.

The top 50 recruit "chose" to go to Yates but is ruled ineligible for moving for athletic reasons therefore why he has to play JV ball this season.

Never was comparing the two programs, but you knew that already. ;)

[quote name="hitchpin" post="916064" timestamp="1290389564"]
[quote author=speechless link=topic=76459.msg916050#msg916050 date=1290388815]
believe me it aint your basketball coach that is makin em lift on gamedays
[/quote]

are yall serious they weight train on GAME DAY??? like full workout or light load?
[/quote]

Any weight training on game days is stupid, but if you choose to be a multiple sport athlete then you should be dedicated to each sport by giving effort into each respective sport. If there isn't a game on that day and a student only has basketball practice that day then the student should do his lifting for football on that day, but lifting on game days is totally ignorant on the football and basketball coach's behalf. If I'm not mistaken I have heard that H-F actually has some talented players on varsity this year and if that's true then there is no reason not to see results.

[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=76459.msg916152#msg916152 date=1290393854]
My Yates comparison was to your statement that "it's a free country". I stated that it looked as though you might be shopping for another school for athletic reasons and that is a no-no. You said "it's a free country" and we can go wherever we choose to go.

The top 50 recruit "chose" to go to Yates but is ruled ineligible for moving for athletic reasons therefore why he has to play JV ball this season.

Never was comparing the two programs, but you knew that already. ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder