**LU vs Langston Updates** LU WINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote name="TexasTerror" post="871022" timestamp="1286681464"]
Looking at the box score, would think Langston won this one...

More trips to the red zone, had the ball for nine minutes more, less penalties...

[b]If[/b] Langston scores in the red zone or "red area" as Whitten calls it, the Cardinals lose to Langston.

Call this a good game all you want, but you guys can't do that against South Alabama and some of the other schools on the schedule. They'll find a way into the end zone and at the Div I level - probably make their FGs.
[/quote]

if ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
-Don Meredith

GO BIG RED

More trips to the red zone, had the ball for nine minutes more, less penalties...

If Langston scores in the red zone or "red area" as Whitten calls it, the Cardinals lose to Langston.

Call this a good game all you want, but you guys can't do that against South Alabama and some of the other schools on the schedule. They'll find a way into the end zone and at the Div I level - probably make their FGs.
[/quote]

check the big numbers...they mean points scored

If Langston scores in the red zone or "red area" as Whitten calls it, the Cardinals lose to Langston.

[/quote]
ng.
Yep.  South Alabama and Georgia State game should be very interesting.  Early on, I would have said we were ahead of them.  Now, I say they beat the crap out of us.

[/quote]

I think it is great we shut them out but they had the ball FOREVER!  Our defense needs to learn the meaning of the word BLITZ!

[quote name="puddin tane" post="871064" timestamp="1286683643"]
frick, cant y'all enjoy a win for at least an hour?
[/quote]

No.  And why the hell are we going for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter up by six?  Isn't the object to win the game?  Shouldn't we kick a field goal to go up by 9??  Am i missing something?  Hello, McFly!!!

[quote name="Cardinal89" post="871073" timestamp="1286684033"]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=74218.msg871064#msg871064 date=1286683643]
[/quote]

No.  And why the heck are we going for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter up by six?  Isn't the object to win the game?  Shouldn't we kick a field goal to go up by 9??  Am i missing something?  Hello, McFly!!!
[/quote]

We were a foot from the endzone and our kicker missed at extra point earlier.

It was a good call.

I'm not talking about kicking a FG. I'm talking about the play calling. Six plays inside the 9 yard line and 2 incomplete passes to Powdril and Jackson in which a pass interference was call giving us a first and goal at the 2 yard line. Then they ran Asante 3 straight times and a QB sneak with Bevil on 4th down. If they just had to run the ball why not use Logan since he had 96 yards rushing for the game.

Play action would have worked well with their LB's cheating for the run. JMO.  

[/quote]

What box score are you looking at? Langston has 120 yard rushing we had 152. They had 234 passing with 43 coming on one pass. We had 204 through the air. They did lead time of possession but we lead on the scoreboard. BTW, we played without our probable best player on offense in JJ Hayes.

Our defense was laying the wood again tonight. Someone killed their 6-5, 240 QB knocking his helmet off.      

I thought the play calling was questionable near the goal line also.  However, I'm happy with another ugly win.  Frankly, we are one win better than I anticipated at this point in the season and we played McNeese close.  None of you naysayers who know anything projected any better than this prior to the season.  Lets enjoy what is happening.  The atmosphere in the tailgating and game is better than anything I've ever seen associated with Lamar University.  Undoubtedly, our guys are going to take some knocks in upcoming games, but thats what we thought would happen when this schedule was announced. 

Congratulations to the defense for their first shutout. 

Go LU

[quote name="HardHitter" post="871239" timestamp="1286724047"]
All you guys are a joke.....We need to get behind these kids 110% no matter what happens. I agree some of the play calling is very questionable...But we need to celebrate the win and prepare for a real tough game against South Alabama....

[size=18pt]GO CARDS[/size]
[/quote]

Dude you are a JOKE. This is a forum for LAMAR FAN'S to discuss anything regarding Lamar or LU athletics. Go take a view of some of the other fan sites around the country. Quit getting so defensive. Geez!  ::)

I think everyone who has posted up to now is a die hard Cardinals fan or they wouldn't waste their time making a post about their thoughts of the game.

[quote name="bigred360" post="871243" timestamp="1286724468"]
[quote author=HardHitter link=topic=74218.msg871239#msg871239 date=1286724047]
All you guys are a joke.....We need to get behind these kids 110% no matter what happens. I agree some of the play calling is very questionable...But we need to celebrate the win and prepare for a real tough game against South Alabama....

[/quote]

Dude you are a JOKE. This is a forum for LAMAR FAN'S to discuss anything regarding Lamar or LU athletics. Go take a view of some of the other fan sites around the country. Quit getting so defensive. Geez!  ::)

I think everyone who has posted up to now is a die hard Cardinals fan or they wouldn't waste their time making a post about their thoughts of the game.
[/quote]

Thank you, and I agree!  Some people like talking (or typing) football.  I've said before I think that is half the fun of having a team...playing armchair quarterback/coach.  If we all just sat around and said "golly, all of our guys are perfect and we are perfect and the coaches are perfect and every play was perfect" that would not only be boring it would be a bunch of b.s.

[quote name="mffl" post="871091" timestamp="1286685371"]
[quote author=Cardinal89 link=topic=74218.msg871073#msg871073 date=1286684033]
[quote author=puddin tane link=topic=74218.msg871064#msg871064 date=1286683643]
[/quote]

No.  And why the heck are we going for it on 4th down in the 4th quarter up by six?  Isn't the object to win the game?  Shouldn't we kick a field goal to go up by 9??  Am i missing something?  Hello, McFly!!!
[/quote]

We were a foot from the endzone and our kicker missed at extra point earlier.

It was a good call.
[/quote]

We had 3 tries from the 2 yard line or closer already and didn't make it.  We are up by 6 in the 4th quarter.  The kick is essentially an extra point except it is worth 3 and it seals the win.  Anyone with any common sense and that knows ANYTHING about football knows that there is absolutely NO logical reason for us not kicking that field goal.  It was a dumb call, period.  It became even dumber as I sat and watched Langston move down field and quite nearly score the tying touchdown (and likely go ahead).  We were lucky to overcome a coaches poor decision.

Look, I understand the cool thing to do was to go for it.  But, if you are playing to win then you kick it.  Plain and simple.

If you can't trust your kicker to make an extra point then he shouldn't be on your team.  (From what I've seen, the kid is a good kicker and can definitely be trusted to make that)

On another note:
-it was nice to see Chavis get a little more involved
-I thought Logan and Hussey both ran the ball well.  Of course, the offensive line did a nice job opening holes for them.  And I know we were missing at least one starter on the offensive line.
-For the first time in a few games we had some impressive hits:  Ekpe will flat out nail you, Garrett will hit you too, and Chavis had a pretty impressive block on an unsuspecting sole on a screen or swing pass.
-it was nice to see us throw a couple of screen passes
-we need to throw the ball over the middle more, say in the 10 - 30 yard range.  We had one nice completion like that.
-Coleman was surprisingly quiet.  Their right tackle did a pretty good job on him.
-I thought their qb was pretty good.  He was a big dude and threw some nice passes
-If Asanti is going to run on the goal line he needs to quit doing that dive nonsense.  As big and strong as he looks he needs to keep his feet on the ground.
-I think Marcus Jackson could become a flat out stud.  He needs some coaching though.  Sometimes he tends to wait for the ball to come to him instead of going to get it.  He needs to help Bevil out a little more on some of those 'questionable' passes Bevil likes to throw.

If Bevil leads Chavis and doesn't make two low throws Billy is probably gaining another 10-20 yards on both pass plays. I mean it is difficult for a 6'5, 260 guy to catch those low passes without going to the ground. I think Chavis can be a real game changer if used correctly. The guy has a ton of athletic ability.

[quote name="bigred360" post="871087" timestamp="1286685242"]
Yea, I questioned the play calling there. But, hey we won and they are supposd to be better than Webber and we had trouble beating them. I'll take the W.
[/quote]
Trying to run Bevil on a QB sneak on a stacked Defense on the goal line is like trying to drive a finish nail into concrete with a tack hammer!  Game was fun, we won, but yet if you have been a fan of football for a long time and played the game in HS then you probably know a little about the game.  It doesn't make you a bad fan if you can see some glaring weaknesses and you talk about in a [b]CIVIL and RESPECTFUL[/b] way on this forum.  If you can't do that then this site needs to shut down.

Another note, Dr. Simmons obviously orchestrated a band renuion and a lot of them sat right by me and my son.  They were absolutely a lot of fun and entertaining.  They obviously were reliving their college days in the band.  They made the game even more fun than it would have already been.  This is a great example of why bringing back football is really a great thing for LU.

[quote name="bigred360" post="871243" timestamp="1286724468"]
[quote author=HardHitter link=topic=74218.msg871239#msg871239 date=1286724047]

[/quote]

[b]I think everyone who has posted up to now is a die hard Cardinals fan or they wouldn't waste their time making a post about their thoughts of the game.[/b]
[/quote]

I'm not a diehard Cardinal fan, far from it. It's nice to have a win, but they should have won by more. I tuned in for a little bit and watch Bevil make the same bad throws as before.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami