Breaking News: WO-S Quarterback Reggie Garrett Dies During Football Game

KFDM COOP

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our prayers from Nederland go out to the Garrett family. 13 years ago next month, I lost my sister-in-law due to a brain aneurysm. She was only 32 and left behind a husband and 7 month old daughter. I was shocked then and still have a hard time dealing with it. Believe me, it takes a bunch of prayers and support to get on with life after something like this happens.

What a tragedy. Words cannot describe the sadness I feel for a young man I never met but feel I knew..My prayers go out to his family. classmates,and team for this horrible loss. May God give all of you strength during this time of difficulty. Thank you God for the time this young man was with all of them, and the the lifetime impact he was able to inspire in all that knew him. Now he is walking hand and hand with you on streets of gold. God bless! This really puts football and life in perspective.

My family went to watch that game and its really heartbroken. God has to decide take him and best for him. He will always be with the team. Trust me. I do cried even I dont know him because I watch him play the game. He is good example to leader and show everyone who he love to play. I would like to offer my sympathy and condolences to the Reggie Garrett family, relatives and friends.

I learned of this tragic news during a commercial break last night in our game. I was completely heart broken to the point that I really did not want to finish the broadcast. My heart just sank.

I have become good friends with several on the WOS coaching staff over the past few years. To Toby, Jimmy, Jesse, Byerly, my heart goes out to you my friends.

To my WOS buddies here on the site, Gas, Griff, kicker, Gun, WOS-89, skipper and the rest of Mustang Nation, as a representative of the Silsbee Tigers, I am thinking of you guys and lift you up in this tragic time.

To my two friends here on our staff, who bleed that blue and silver, Todd(WOSGrad), Kerry(KFDMCoop), my thoughts are with you two and lend you my support during this time of need.

But more importantly, to the Garrett family, I, along with everyone here at SETXsports, lift you up in prayer during this tragic time. I spoke with Reggie just briefly earlier this season. But just in that small conversation, I could tell that Reggie was a fine young man to go along with being a fantastic athlete. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and we pray that you as a family will make it through this tragic time.

Again, to the Garrett family and all of Mustang Nation, my thoughts and prayers to you guys. May God Bless.

Mike Sanchez, SETXsports administrator
my wife and two sons
Silsbee Tiger Athletics
SETXsports.com

This is really a hard pill to swallow, I have seen this kid play numerous times on many occassions, and it really hit me deep, I was not at the game, but I was listening to it on the radio. One of the Jasper announcers got choked up, as he was announing the game, they kept saying something went wrong on ther WOS sidelines, but they never would say what. I hate to hear this, but my prayers goes out to the Garrett family. I have a son that play college football and he knew Reggie, I could not sleep last night knowing that my son will be on the field today, knowing that this could happen to anyone. Rest in peace Reggie.

i just took my son to the field so he could place flowers on the sideline and pay his respects. hes 17 and has a ton of questions. he loved reggie as a friend and teammate. he told stories of how reggie was always positive and was someone he looked up to when the going got tough either at practice or during the game. i guess the old saying is true that you never know what youve got until its gone... he was loved deeply by this community, the coaches, and his teammates. he will be truly and deeply missed.

I want to point out Jasper players, coaches and fans. We have always had a heated Rvalry and much respect for each other. But when I saw the Jasper team and coaches crying with us and hugging our kids, it shows how we setxans are one family. I'm so sorry. I just don't know what to say....I have an image that I can't get out of my head, I love being on the sidelines with the kids, but last night, I wish I wasn't. We all love the kids. Yall will make it through this, I promise.

I am still in shock as is our entire family.  I pray for peace and understanding as Reggie's family, team, friends and community try to figure out why.  As someone said earlier, we all pull for our home teams, but we are all as of last night Mustang fans and we stand with you as you grieve.  I just feel like there should be something we could do, and if anyone comes up with anything that would help, please post.

Rest in peace, Reggie.

[quote name="skipper" post="850197" timestamp="1284820064"]
last night the gates of haven were opened for one of GODS angle reggie garrett and GOD took his little hand and led him into the kingdom.no words on this earth can express how i feel the tears will not stop ,my prayers are with mr and mrs garrett and the prayers will not stop ,he will be in my prayers from now on. GOD BLESS YOU REGGIE tonight i will go look into darkness and find the brigest star in the sky and knowing its him with his tender smile looking down on us and praying for us all PS sorry for the spelling  my key board is coved with tears
[/quote]

He wants the best of us. Reggie was truly one of the best.

Let me start by adding my sympathy to and prayers for Reggie's family and friends.  There are no words that can properly console you, but please look on the words stated above to add to what you already know, that is how special a person Reggie was and how many lives he touched on and off of the playing field.  Know that the prayers of not only Southeast Texas, but the entire state, nation and world are with you today.

I pray for Reggie's teammates who lost a leader on of the field, and a friend off of it.  As a result of what happened last night, they will have to grow up a lot faster than we dreamed.....and much faster than we desired.  May they find the strength to come to terms with their loss.  We need to watch over them.

I pray for the parents of Reggie's teammates and friends, folks like venom, who at this difficult time must guide their children through this mental mine field.  They will have to struggle with the questions that they hoped never to have to answer, mainly because life has taught them that there is no answer to many of them.  May God grant you the strength and wisdom to guide them.

I pray for my friends in Orange and my fellow graduates of West Orange-Stark grieve with them.  Even though it has been almost 20 years since I have called West Orange home, to this day I still proudly proclaim it as my hometown and West Orange-Stark as my alma mater.  We share a common bond, and today, a common loss.  Let us go out and help the community that nurtured us heal so that they may nurture others.

I pray for the teachers and staff at West Orange-Stark.  Particularly, Coach Dan Hooks and his staff.  This is a man who in almost 30 years as head coach and athletic director has faced big challenges before.  But his biggest challenge yet awaits him as he must come to terms with what has occurred and at the same time assist 60-70 young men in doing the same.  May God grant him and the entire staff within the West Orange-Cove CISD to do so.  

We have read about these types of stories before occurring in other communities, but you never dream that people will be reading about it happening in yours.  Which leads me, as one of the many members of Mustang Nation, to thank you for your heart felt wishes to our community, particularly to my buddy Mike.  But do not pity us as we have faced adversity before, both natural and economic, and have prospered in spite of it.  And these young men, with their fallen friend never far from their thoughts will be back....returning with renewed strength and newfound purpose.

Again, thank you.

Todd Broussard
West Orange-Stark Class of 1986

[quote author=WOSgrad link=topic=73114.msg850346#msg850346 date=1284836836]
Let me start by adding my sympathy to and prayers for Reggie's family and friends.  There are no words that can properly console you, but please look on the words stated above to add to what you already know, that is how special a person Reggie was and how many lives he touched on and off of the playing field.  Know that the prayers of not only Southeast Texas, but the entire state, nation and world are with you today.

I pray for Reggie's teammates who lost a leader on of the field, and a friend off of it.  As a result of what happened last night, they will have to grow up a lot faster than we dreamed.....and much faster than we desired.  May they find the strength to come to terms with their loss.  We need to watch over them.

I pray for the parents of Reggie's teammates and friends, folks like venom, who at this difficult time must guide their children through this mental mine field.  They will have to struggle with the questions that they hoped never to have to answer, mainly because life has taught them that there is no answer to many of them.  May God grant you the strength and wisdom to guide them.

I pray for my friends in Orange and my fellow graduates of West Orange-Stark grieve with them.  Even though it has been almost 20 years since I have called West Orange home, to this day I still proudly proclaim it as my hometown and West Orange-Stark as my alma mater.  We share a common bond, and today, a common loss.  Let us go out and help the community that nurtured us heal so that they may nurture others.

I pray for the teachers and staff at West Orange-Stark.  Particularly, Coach Dan Hooks and his staff.  This is a man who in almost 30 years as head coach and athletic director has faced big challenges before.  But his biggest challenge yet awaits him as he must come to terms with what has occurred and at the same time assist 60-70 young men in doing the same.  May God grant him and the entire staff within the West Orange-Cove CISD to do so.  

We have read about these types of stories before occurring in other communities, but you never dream that people will be reading about it happening in yours.  Which leads me, as one of the many members of Mustang Nation, to thank you for your heart felt wishes to our community, particularly to my buddy Mike.  But do not pity us as we have faced adversity before, both natural and economic, and have prospered in spite of it.  And these young men, with their fallen friend never far from their thoughts will be back....returning with renewed strength and newfound purpose.

Again, thank you

Todd Broussard
West Orange-Stark Class of 1986

Great Post Todd.  I believe that after the tragedy last night, many SET high school football fans will forever watch the games with a different perspective.  It may not be so much about the final score, but about the young men playing the game and their efforts on the field, win or lose.  Last night was a reminder of the fragility of life  and that we can't take one single day for granted.
As a parent, I can't imagine the pain that Reggie's family must feel.
Heartfelt condolences to the family, teammates, coaching staff and the whole WOS community.

[quote name="BCcardbacker" post="850320" timestamp="1284834881"]
I am still in shock as is our entire family.  I pray for peace and understanding as Reggie's family, team, friends and community try to figure out why.  As someone said earlier, we all pull for our home teams, but we are all as of last night Mustang fans and we stand with you as you grieve.  I just feel like there should be something we could do, and if anyone comes up with anything that would help, please post.

Rest in peace, Reggie.
[/quote]someone started another thread about that, I don't see why each team if they choose to can't get stickers with 12 on them and put them on their helmets. still can't believe your watching a game like we all do and the next your planning a funeral my thoughts are with his parents.

To the family of Reggie Garrett. I know what you are going through. Matt Robinson, the young Nederland man who collapsed and died at home plate in 2006 was my son. It's so hard to deal with, searching for answers and hoping for strength. I was a basket case. You will find the strength in God and those who are close to you in this time of complete sorrow. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. Reggie was a great athlete and from what I have read, he was a class individual too. May God help you find peace.

[quote name="baddog" post="850392" timestamp="1284841633"]
To the family of Reggie Garrett. I know what you are going through. Matt Robinson, the young Nederland man who collapsed and died at home plate in 2006 was my son. It's so hard to deal with, searching for answers and hoping for strength. I was a basket case. You will find the strength in God and those who are close to you in this time of complete sorrow. My thoughts and prayers go out to you. Reggie was a great athlete and from what I have read, he was a class individual too. May God help you find peace.
[/quote]

I remember this in 06' During Babe Ruth and I was so hurt to see someone my age just collapse like that, that touched me deeply, and to hear this about this young star it hurts just as bad....my prayers go out to Mr. Garrett's family, the WOS community, and also to everyone who was touched by this young man in any way.....May he Reside In Paradise

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder