Question about weight on refs

[quote name="PNG Proud" post="840014" timestamp="1283720864"]
I saw the overweight ref (mentioned above) on the highlight reel.  I told my wife that the poor guy looks like he's about to have a coronary!  The poor guy could hardly get up off the ground.  How is he going to run the length of the field if needed?
[/quote]

You should have seen the head judge.  He was so old and out of shape both offenses had to wait 30 seconds for him to get to his spot after the ball was set.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all seriousness, this is not the worst crew I've ever seen. The worst crew I ever saw was when Livingston played Nederland, in Nederland, two years ago. I think they were from up around Dallas or somewhere. (Nederland fans correct me if I'm wrong.) The game started at 7:30 and did not get over until 11 p.m. It took them forever to place the ball. Once, both teams were on the field for kickoff ... and the ref was still standing on the sideline holding the ball, lost in la-la land. That was the worst crew I had ever seen. The guys in BC this past Friday were Albert Einstein's compared to those guys.

If you think you can do better, we are in need of officials in South East Texas. Come join the chapter, pay your dues, pay for your uniforms, pay for your clinics and training. Go call a game where half the people get in for free. Because we get paid a percent of gate reciepts. So the money we make gets put right back into it for uniforms, dues, insurance, training. So if you basically have time to call High School football for free by the time you pay for everything and you think you have got what it takes, come on down on Monday nights and join the chapter.

As for you folks that have coaches that do not use the South East Texas Chapter. Thank your coach next time you see him for wasteing your tax dollars paying those refs from outside the area to come call your games.
99% of the time if you think about it, your coach leaves the area to find refs after a losing season and he is using us as his excuse for losing. But just think back to that losing season, and then look at the current season, are the refs really different? No they are not, I had the opportunity to come and watch some of your scrimmages using the other refs and it wasn't pretty at all!

Good luck to you this season Hope everything works out!

[quote name="TheRef" post="841107" timestamp="1283871885"]
If you think you can do better, we are in need of officials in South East Texas. Come join the chapter, pay your dues, pay for your uniforms, pay for your clinics and training. Go call a game where half the people get in for free. Because we get paid a percent of gate reciepts. So the money we make gets put right back into it for uniforms, dues, insurance, training. So if you basically have time to call High School football for free by the time you pay for everything and you think you have got what it takes, come on down on Monday nights and join the chapter.

As for you folks that have coaches that do not use the South East Texas Chapter. Thank your coach next time you see him for wasteing your tax dollars paying those refs from outside the area to come call your games.
99% of the time if you think about it, your coach leaves the area to find refs after a losing season and he is using us as his excuse for losing. But just think back to that losing season, and then look at the current season, are the refs really different? No they are not, I had the opportunity to come and watch some of your scrimmages using the other refs and it wasn't pretty at all!

Good luck to you this season Hope everything works out!
[/quote]
Thanks for the info... It would be hypocritical for me to mention the referees weight since I have the figure of a basketball. May referring a game would do me some good..

[quote name="RustedCutlass" post="839905" timestamp="1283710873"]
[quote author=teeboan link=topic=72505.msg839789#msg839789 date=1283702176]
As a member of the local chapter I take offense to your comments. I have never heard anyone in our chapter say anything bad or negative towards coach Mattews or the Vidor program. The only thing true in your statement is he doesn't use our chapter. If you call us bad officials that fine, you are allowed to have an opinion. My opinion is your head would explode if you tried to call a game. But I consider it an insult and a slap in the face to be called a cheater. The statement that he can't get a fair game is a bald face lie. I put in many hours of training, reading the rules book (ever seen one?) going to classes, clinics and discussing situations with fellow officials because I love the game. The only teams I pull for are in college or the pros. If any body tells you he can't get a fair game from the refs he's making an excuse for losing. Good luck with the guys you get, they work hard too. 
[/quote]
Like I said, I've heard things. And, this was from a few years ago. So, like I said, to check on the talk I've heard being true, you'd have to talk to the coaches. All I know is that for certain reasons Mathews decided it was in better interests to use refs from outside the Golden Triangle. End of story. Take offense all you want, think I'm too stupid to call a game or to read a rule book, or whatever it takes to make you feel better.
But there is a reason for decisions made. And, it is not to get an excuse for losing.  ::)
[/quote]

[quote name="LR1969" post="839807" timestamp="1283703760"]
Only into the second week, and people are already questioning the refs (not referring to weight, condition, etc. Talking about fairness). I find it crazy that so many people actually think high school refs intentionally "cheat" in football games. This is crazy. Believe it or not...It is possible for someone to be a high school sports fan and actually be able to put their own "bias" on the back burner. I know I do. I love high school football more than I love one team. Not a ref but if I was I can't imagine making a call based on loyalty to my hometown, etc. The fact is, although many of you are loyal fans of your teams, there are actually people (like myself) who are drawn to the Friday Night Lights experience not because of loyalty to a team but because of love of a game. I live in Lumberton and I root for the Raiders but I root for high school football more. And, in the end, I root for the kids--be they Raiders, Pirates, Panthers, Titans, etc. And, in my years of covering high school football I have never met a referee who wasn't cut from the same cloth. These are people who love football more than they love a team. So, while you're rooting for the Raiders or the Pirates or the Indians, these guys are rooting for football. They could care less who wins the game. They just want to be a part of the experience. I can relate to that because I am the same way. I enjoy the game, whether "my" team wins or not. And, 99% of the time I don't have a team in the fight. I'm just there to be a part of it!
Are there bad calls? Sure. Are they intentional? I would say 99.9% of the time they are not. But, these guys are humans...not robots. I'm sure all of us make mistakes on the job as well. I know I do. So, to the refs, I applaud you for your contribution to Friday Night Lights. It couldn't happen without you! God bless!
[/quote]

nicely said ...refs always get raw end of deal..they HAVE to love the game to be able to put up with the garbage they do lots of times.  We must all remember we are human and less than perfect.  And although we sometimes think a call changes the outcome of a game, we will never know for sure if that outcome could have been worse and not better than what we would like to think.  Thanks Refs for doing what you do!

Guest Pirate_pride_07
[quote name="TITAN POWER" post="840422" timestamp="1283796710"]
[quote author=pirate68 link=topic=72505.msg839818#msg839818 date=1283704631]
Do high school officials get graded through out the year? In reguards to the Vidor BC officials they were not biased they just were not very good at there jobs.  I dont blame them are any group of officials for loses because everyone makes mistakes but these guys were clueless. They were the worst I have ever seen and they were bad for both teams.
[/quote]

I agree,  I dont think they were bias either.  Just clueless.  On one of the holding penalties on Vidor, it took the officials forever to figure out how far 10 yards was.  These guys were bad period.
[/quote]

I agree as well. I mean i'm a twenty year old kid and i've been watching football since i was old enough to know what it is. And one of the things I've learned over the years is that the clock is not ran off of the score board. It is run off of a watch that one ref is supposed to have and keep track of and one of the biggest things to fans are clocks, especially when it means the difference is scoring and stuff like that. One of the worst calls i saw that night was when BC threw for what i think 40 or 50 yards to get within field goal range and the clock had 10 seconds left. I'm not gonna try and guess how much time would've been taken off if they clock would've started but i will say that it was simply terrible the way the refs just stood there for about half a minute trying to figure out what to do all the while BC was setting up for the next play. Then they just i guess forgot about the clock not starting and decided to let BC go on with the next play like nothing happened. And then when Coach Matthews threw a fit they decided to take the rest of the time off the clock AFTER BC had kicked the field goal making it even worse cuz we didn't even have the chance to atleast return the kickoff. That in my opinion goes deeper than being a bad official. That was crossing the line.

[quote name="raideroldtimer" post="841261" timestamp="1283884100"]
You know, I am wondering one thing. If UIL takes over the referees, does anyone think they'll let schools choose refs from out of their districts area?
[/quote]
It may get very interesting. If that happens I don't believe there will be many returning to officiate games next year. I can't speak for all but I can tell you I won't pay extortion money to the UIL. Everyone at our meetings has said the same. The UIL has said they will go get basketball guys, volleyball guys or go knocking door to door if need be to put officials on the the field. Hopefully they will be better at football than I would be at one of their sports.

[quote name="mytwocents" post="841283" timestamp="1283884876"]
[quote author=TITAN POWER link=topic=72505.msg840422#msg840422 date=1283796710]
Do high school officials get graded through out the year? In reguards to the Vidor BC officials they were not biased they just were not very good at there jobs.  I dont blame them are any group of officials for loses because everyone makes mistakes but these guys were clueless. They were the worst I have ever seen and they were bad for both teams.
[/quote]

I agree,  I dont think they were bias either.  Just clueless.  On one of the holding penalties on Vidor, it took the officials forever to figure out how far 10 yards was.  These guys were bad period.
[/quote]

I agree as well. I mean i'm a twenty year old kid and i've been watching football since i was old enough to know what it is. And one of the things I've learned over the years is that the clock is not ran off of the score board. It is run off of a watch that one ref is supposed to have and keep track of and one of the biggest things to fans are clocks, especially when it means the difference is scoring and stuff like that. One of the worst calls i saw that night was when BC threw for what i think 40 or 50 yards to get within field goal range and the clock had 10 seconds left. I'm not gonna try and guess how much time would've been taken off if they clock would've started but i will say that it was simply terrible the way the refs just stood there for about half a minute trying to figure out what to do all the while BC was setting up for the next play. Then they just i guess forgot about the clock not starting and decided to let BC go on with the next play like nothing happened. And then when Coach Matthews threw a fit they decided to take the rest of the time off the clock AFTER BC had kicked the field goal making it even worse cuz we didn't even have the chance to atleast return the kickoff. That in my opinion goes deeper than being a bad official. That was crossing the line.
[/quote]
I can't comment on what happened at that game. I wasn't there but it sounds like it got ugly. As far as the clock thought you're  incorrect. The clock on the scoreboard IS the official clock and the only one we go by. If there is a problem with it, then we keep it on the field. Twenty is the perfect age to start officiating. We could use some fresh legs and young eyes!!!!!!

[quote name="teeboan" post="841291" timestamp="1283885684"]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=72505.msg841283#msg841283 date=1283884876]
Do high school officials get graded through out the year? In reguards to the Vidor BC officials they were not biased they just were not very good at there jobs.  I dont blame them are any group of officials for loses because everyone makes mistakes but these guys were clueless. They were the worst I have ever seen and they were bad for both teams.
[/quote]

I agree,  I dont think they were bias either.  Just clueless.  On one of the holding penalties on Vidor, it took the officials forever to figure out how far 10 yards was.  These guys were bad period.
[/quote]

[/quote]
I can't comment on what happened at that game. I wasn't there but it sounds like it got ugly. As far as the clock thought you're  incorrect. The clock on the scoreboard IS the official clock and the only one we go by. If there is a problem with it, then we keep it on the field. Twenty is the perfect age to start officiating. We could use some fresh legs and young eyes!!!!!!
[/quote]
Now some official is more than welcome to correct me, but if I'm not mistaken, the Back Judge or a Side Judge actually keeps the official time, which is how a ref knows to tell the timekeeper in the press box to add or subtract time.

The official time is on the stadium clock unless it fails and is often run by a TASO official who is not working an on field position that night. An on field official can keep the time if the scoreboard fails.

I have seen games where the stadium clock was not the official clock and having both teams return to the field after the stadium clock says o:oo but the on field time keepers clock says 2 seconds is a very good reason to make the visible clock the official one. 

[quote name="raideroldtimer" post="841331" timestamp="1283889004"]
[quote author=teeboan link=topic=72505.msg841291#msg841291 date=1283885684]
[quote author=mytwocents link=topic=72505.msg841283#msg841283 date=1283884876]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
I can't comment on what happened at that game. I wasn't there but it sounds like it got ugly. As far as the clock thought you're  incorrect. The clock on the scoreboard IS the official clock and the only one we go by. If there is a problem with it, then we keep it on the field. Twenty is the perfect age to start officiating. We could use some fresh legs and young eyes!!!!!!
[/quote]
Now some official is more than welcome to correct be, but if I'm not mistaken, the Back Judge or a Side Judge actually keeps the official time, which is how a ref knows to tell the timekeeper in the press box to add or subtract time.
[/quote]
The back judge watches the 25 second clock..if it isn't working (or the game clock) then he keeps them on the field. Watching the game clock is kinda of a shared responsibilty between the 5 of us. If someone else has a flag or stops the clock I glance at it to assure it's stopped and they do the same for me. We talk about it in our pregame meeting every week.

[quote name="magnus1on1" post="841388" timestamp="1283894505"]
Whoa Whoa Whoa!!!!!!!!!! HANG ON A MIN HERE AND YES I"M RAISING MY VOICE!!!!!! HOW IN THE WORLD DID THIS THREAD TURN INTO A REF THRASHING???  THAT WAS NOT THE INTENTION!!!

I ASKED ABOUT WEIGHT ON REFS!! SO AGAIN I ASK THE QUESTION??

GO BACK TO THE FIRST POST

[/quote]

I like my referees jiggly!

[quote name="Tyrone_Biggums" post="841494" timestamp="1283903980"]
[quote author=magnus1on1 link=topic=72505.msg841388#msg841388 date=1283894505]
Whoa Whoa Whoa!!!!!!!!!! HANG ON A MIN HERE AND YES I"M RAISING MY VOICE!!!!!! HOW IN THE WORLD DID THIS THREAD TURN INTO A REF THRASHING???  THAT WAS NOT THE INTENTION!!!

[/quote]

[/quote]
LMAO---ask a dumb question and you get a Tyronne answer.  Oops IJWMPLOL

[quote name="raideroldtimer" post="841261" timestamp="1283884100"]
You know, I am wondering one thing. If UIL takes over the referees, does anyone think they'll let schools choose refs from out of their districts area?
[/quote]

If UIL takes over the refs, it may put an end to high school football as you know it!

If we are going to going to thrash the refs for weight, then we need to start charging for two seats for some of the bubbas that come into the stadium.  I mean seriously, there is a concession stand available, you DIDN'T have to bring the 20 lb industrial size bag of hog cracklins from Louisiana.  And, by God, give your kid one of them cracklins, he looks hungry!  Poor child, 4'11" and weighing just a measly 290, don't you feed that kid?

As for refs...it's a pain in the rear job.  I scream at them the loudest, but only if I see a preponderance (sic?) of calls against one team and not the other.  Like a lot of holding penalties on one team, and none on the other.  If a referee is calling a lot of holding on both teams, he may just have a way he sees holding, and that is a fair determination.  If a crew lets a game be played liberally on both sides, again, that is judgement of what they see, and as long as they are consistent to both teams, no problem...As far as the LL angle, I have been behind the plate as a volunteer (most little leagues don't hire umpires, unless the parents and volunteers are so thin skinned that they can't be a volunteer umpire).  Understand, I am talking about Little League International here, not Pony, not select, or any other league not affiliated with Little League International.  We have had relatives of kids playing try to climb the fence over what they thought was a bad call.  That is STOOPID!  You can be passionate about the game without being STOOPID. (and yes, I know stupid is spelled like this, I'm just making a point).

As far as this thread, hey, if the guy can get up and down the field with no problem, more power to him...just don't stand in his way as he's running down the field.

[quote name="Bucky" post="842027" timestamp="1283978540"]
Whats up with the Beaumont chapter of Refs???? I heard that not many teams in this area are useing them.....What Happen??? ???
[/quote]Most of them are from Mid County. ;D...JK I have no clue whos using them,but if some teams do not I would make the assumption that those teams feel like they get a better called game from some other chapter.

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="841495" timestamp="1283904157"]
[quote author=Tyrone_Biggums link=topic=72505.msg841494#msg841494 date=1283903980]
[quote author=magnus1on1 link=topic=72505.msg841388#msg841388 date=1283894505]

[/quote]

[/quote]
LMAO---ask a dumb question and you get a Tyronne answer.   Oops IJWMPLOL
[/quote]

lol..

[quote name="magnus1on1" post="841388" timestamp="1283894505"]

[/quote]LOL, dude I can't get it out of my head. When I look at your post all I can think of is the bad guy from the Disney Film "The Incredibles" and the way he had to just shout everything.

[quote name="pirate68" post="842106" timestamp="1283985424"]
[quote author=Bucky link=topic=72505.msg842027#msg842027 date=1283978540]
Whats up with the Beaumont chapter of Refs???? I heard that not many teams in this area are useing them.....What Happen??? ???
[/quote]Most of them are from Mid County. ;D...JK I have no clue whos using them,but if some teams do not I would make the assumption that those teams feel like they get a better called game from some other chapter.
[/quote]Most area teams DO use the Beaumont chapter, Vidor is the only one I think uses a different chapter.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder