Select Softball Conflict with School Sports

Here we go!!

What can be done and how do we fix this since I believe this has been an on going
problem that needs to be addressed NOW.
Are any of the area schools successful at working with select softball teams when
it comes to summer practice?
If so how? and how can we implement these successful tactics in other schools.
What can we do as a select softball community to help schools understand
what is happening to select softball players?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I followed the thread in the High School Softball forum and decided to check this one out. Now to be on topic, at least in Girls' Athletics at Dayton, from what I can tell the coaches allow the girls to be in both and actually encourage them to. For example, even though these are both school teams, last year the basketball season ran into the practices for softball. Well since the basketball coach is an assistant softball coach, he told the girls to concentrate on  the basketball playoffs and when bball is over, then concentrate on softball. I have a friend who plays both select ball and high school sports. For her at least, there hasn't been any problems with the select coaches and those at DHS. Seems that they must plan around each other.

[color=red][i]What can be done and how do we fix this since I believe this has been an on going problem that needs to be addressed NOW.[/i][/color] Hasn't really been an ongoing problem. Only a handful of teams in this area play ASA and that is the only association that has their nationals this late in the summer. Not to mention ASA Nationals is result based qualification, which makes it much more difficult to get in.

[color=red][i]Are any of the area schools successful at working with select softball teams when it comes to summer practice?[/i][/color] In regards to sports other than HS softball, I'd have to say no to a varying degree. But, I have no experience with pre-school practices and associated policies.

[color=red][i]If so how? and how can we implement these successful tactics in other schools.[/i][/color]

[color=red][i]What can we do as a select softball community to help schools understand what is happening to select softball players?[/i][/color] Do you mean something other than deleting threads that had some good discussions going on.  ;)

Any smart HS coach understands that atheletes that participate in summer sports has tremendous benefits for his HS program.  I often see HS coaches at the area tournaments and they support their players in addition to gaining an abundance of information just by observing.  

What you dont see very often is HS coaches coaching from the stands and getting involved directly with the players which while being a common courtesy, it also is frowned upon by UIL.  On the other hand, it should also be the same common courtesy for Select coaches to refrain from coaching outside the dug out at a HS game.  

Also, the same should apply in situations when it is not the same sport.  As long as atheletes are staying in shape, multi seasons and or multi sports should be acceptable.

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="821072" timestamp="1280256501"]
Any smart HS coach understands that atheletes that participate in summer sports has tremendous benefits for his HS program.  I often see HS coaches at the area tournaments and they support their players in addition to gaining an abundance of information just by observing.  

What you dont see very often is HS coaches coaching from the stands and getting involved directly with the players which while being a common courtesy, it also is frowned upon by UIL.  On the other hand, it should also be the same common courtesy for Select coaches to refrain from coaching outside the dug out at a HS game.  

Also, the same should apply in situations when it is not the same sport.  As long as atheletes are staying in shape, multi seasons and or multi sports should be acceptable.
[/quote]
Great Post

As I stated before it was deleted, any educator (Coach) that would force a kid to choose between a couple of pre-season practices and going to an event that could enable him or her to showcase their talents in front of a large number of college recruiters with the possibility to earn a college scholarship, should be questioned. The goal for educators is to help get the students to the next level, whatever that level may be. It's not like the kids are missing practice for a trip to Smith Lake!

If the BC LL team had made it to the LL WS last year and missed a few days of school, would the OF kids on that team have been kicked off of the Middle School Football team? Hell no! They would have had a parade for them (and rightfully so).

[quote name="BHBLUE" post="821098" timestamp="1280259677"]
[quote author=WeedBegone link=topic=71234.msg821072#msg821072 date=1280256501]
Any smart HS coach.....[/quote]

Now you've shrunk the pool drastically.  ;D
[/quote] Just wait until we start talking about umpires.

How are some select softball players able to play school sports in high school
and not have conflicts with summer practices?
Is it that ASA Nat's is the only tournament the first week in August and that
just happened to be the first week of summer school practices?
Do the other Affiliations (USFA, etc) tend to try to stay clear from having tournaments
that week?
What are the amount of select softball players that are successful at getting
college scholarships playing travel ball and also continue playing school sports?
Just some more questions

well i think that high school coaches lend no credibility to any sport they do not control..... maybe there is some envy and they are flexing their muscle because of that..... no way to stop it you just need to find a district where the coaches are open to the fact that they are not the only one's that can teach a kid how to play a game..... seem's to me that the colleges have figured that out which is why they recruit softball players from club teams and i hear the trend is the same with baseball and basketball as well as track. the manger of my DD's organization told me that the scouts would much rather come see a few hundred prospect's at one tournament instead of going to some high school game to see one or two. makes sense to me and i have been at tournaments where there are more scouts than most high school coaches have seen in their entire career's. it is dead wrong for that AD to put those students in that kind of predicament but it's a descision based on ignorance of what the current trend in recruitment is as well as ignorance to the actual level of play these girls are competing at because if he is aware of these things there is no possible reason for his policy. maybe if they get out and watch some of these teams compete they would realize that they are good for the kids in every sport they compete in and as far as life skills are concerned, i know first hand that they learn more about comitment playing travel softball than any high school sport. if your DD is a competitive softball player on a travel team just sit back and look at the time she puts in and the things she has to do to organize and prioritize her life. well life is the same way , you have to make sacrifices to obtain your goal. and they usualy make sacrifices far greater than playing freshman vollyball to be on there club team so what makes him think that hs vollyball will change their mind. just look at the effect travelball has on their social life, and yet they chose to miss parties and sleepovers and even sacrifice vacations and family outings for their passion. ....... and I think that if the AD is not interested in learning about these trends and being more open minded to the fact that club sports are a growing trend he is failing to do his part in the future of these young ladies...... IT'S ALL ABOUT EGO AND HE IS PUNISHING THE KIDS FOR HIS FAILURE TO CHANGE WITH THE TIMES...... he must face the fact that someone other than high school's can do good things for the kids......

Colleges don't have time to recruit when High School is going on because they are playing at that same time also. So the only time they can recruit is during the summer and fall when they are off.  That is why you never see them at any High Scholl games.

I'll play the devil's advocate here. Suppose the AD is attempting to protect the coaches at his schools. If retainment of coaching staffs are based on performance then why not give the coaches a tool to help them strengthen their programs? That tool could blowup in their face, but a tool nonetheless. I think that most select teams work around fall HS sports to some extent. Players might lose some softball game playing time or even have someone overtake their position due to their absence, but, as a player, they should know those consequences going into to it and accept the outcome. The same should be true if the roles were reversed.

Guest bleed orange
[quote name="Mc" post="821130" timestamp="1280263381"]
I'll play the devil's advocate here. Suppose the AD is attempting to protect the coaches at his schools. If retainment of coaching staffs are based on performance then why not give the coaches a tool to help them strengthen their programs? That tool could blowup in their face, but a tool nonetheless. I think that most select teams work around fall HS sports to some extent. Players might lose some softball game playing time or even have someone overtake their position due to their absence, but, as a player, they should know those consequences going into to it and accept the outcome. The same should be true if the roles were reversed.
[/quote]

Good post. Here is another one for you. Once he lets one then he will have to let everyone and a snowball effect begins. May start out as a few then next thing you know it is 20 (10 boys and 10 girls). At a small school your kids who play select ball are usually your better athletes. We had two of our best athlete last year specialize in one sport and it was not football. This year we have 3 maybe more. It is right for these select coach to try to convince these kids into playing one sport? And you guys know they do. Also what about these parents who schedule vacation the first week of August because they either forgot or did not know for some reason there was practice that week. Yes, it does happen. I understand these are all isolated incidents but they do happen. When is enough, Enough? I thought an AD was suppose to look after all sports not just Softball. 20 is a little overkill but if you give people an inch they will take a mile.

[quote name="Mc" post="821158" timestamp="1280266814"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=71234.msg821152#msg821152 date=1280266425]
Why was the other thread deleted?
[/quote]He felt it had that "not so fresh feeling."
[/quote]
Sometimes we tend to self moderate which was done in this case.  Its kind of like Otis on Mayberry----when he had his filll---he locked himself up and slept it off.  In this case our friend from young guns just chose to go to another bar.  But then again---so did we all.

[quote name="bleed orange" post="821145" timestamp="1280265657"]
[quote author=Mc link=topic=71234.msg821130#msg821130 date=1280263381]
[/quote]

Good post. Here is another one for you. Once he lets one then he will have to let everyone and a snowball effect begins. May start out as a few then next thing you know it is 20 (10 boys and 10 girls). At a small school your kids who play select ball are usually your better athletes. We had two of our best athlete last year specialize in one sport and it was not football. This year we have 3 maybe more. It is right for these select coach to try to convince these kids into playing one sport? And you guys know they do. Also what about these parents who schedule vacation the first week of August because they either forgot or did not know for some reason there was practice that week. Yes, it does happen. I understand these are all isolated incidents but they do happen. When is enough, Enough? I thought an AD was suppose to look after all sports not just Softball. 20 is a little overkill but if you give people an inch they will take a mile.
[/quote]

ok so this AD is willing to banish these girls from an entire season of VB over a few practices. sounds like he is the one taking the mile with his inch of authority. its not like these kids are calling in sick because they don't want to practice, which would not carry the same penalty, they are playing in a national tournament that is the culmination of an entire year of hard work. you cannot govern every scenario in life with rules, at some point common sense has to be factored into the situation. I'll bet if one of these kids would happen to be a football player that could run like the wind and could be a game changer, the rule would be amended.  JMO

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="821168" timestamp="1280267233"]
[quote author=Mc link=topic=71234.msg821158#msg821158 date=1280266814]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=71234.msg821152#msg821152 date=1280266425]
Why was the other thread deleted?
[/quote]He felt it had that "not so fresh feeling."
[/quote]
Sometimes we tend to self moderate which was done in this case.  Its kind of like Otis on Mayberry----when he had his filll---he locked himself up and slept it off.  In this case our friend from young guns just chose to go to another bar.  But then again---so did we all.
[/quote]

LOL!! I got it. Thanks Weed.

[quote name="8888" post="821170" timestamp="1280267283"]
ok so this AD is willing to banish these girls from an entire season of VB over a few practices. sounds like he is the one taking the mile with his inch of authority. its not like these kids are calling in sick because they don't want to practice, which would not carry the same penalty, they are playing in a national tournament that is the culmination of an entire year of hard work. you cannot govern every scenario in life with rules,[b] at some point common sense has to be factored into the situation.[/b] I'll bet if one of these kids would happen to be a football player that could run like the wind and could be a game changer, the rule would be amended.  JMO
[/quote]
Very good point.

I got it...Any OF kid that will be missing the first two Volleyball PRACTICES this season for Nationals, just call in sick! ;D

I am here..... but felt this needed to be opened up generally speaking to cover all the problems that
select ball teams are having with different schools and AD's. Our concern is important to us but it sounds as if this happens all the time in every school district.
Our Organization was built to support our kids in "any" decision they make. That be playing school ball or not playing school ball.
It has not ever been a problem until now. Our kids are and will remain loyal to there select ball team and Organization
and that shows by the decisions they have made. I for one, am proud of them for that and it shows in how they handle themselves on
and off the field. We will not let anyone tell our kids in this Organization, no matter who it may be, that select softball should take
a back seat to anything unless the kids choose to do so. Once again...every young lady on this team has her own goals she has set for herself
and also goals they set as a team months ago. Our job is to help them accomplish those goals and for them to set the bar higher and higher
for themselves and the team..
Our girls will be playing at the ASA Southern Nationals...as a complete team!!!

[quote name="WeedBegone" post="821072" timestamp="1280256501"]

[/quote]

I like this post. Good one Weed.

Guest bleed orange
[color=orange]I'll bet if one of these kids would happen to be a football player that could run like the wind and could be a game changer, the rule would be amended.  JMO[/color]

Nope he treats every kid the same. They made their bed so sleep in it. By the way the game changer is specializing in baseball his senior year.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder