Thompson named new Memorial Head Coach

KFDM COOP

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

PA has always had athletes. I never understood why the Lincolns and TJs could not go further. IMO they have lacked discipline. Discipline in the coaching as well as discipline in fundamentals. I remember a few years back when Lincoln played Silsbee in the playoffs. Lincoln had massive sized lineman and tall fast skill players, but they won but they did not play sound fundamental football. Talent will win you games, but when you face teams with the same talent you have to play smart football in order to win.

PA has to have someone in place long enough to implement the program from the ground up. If you want long term success, you have to ingrain it into the kids and community. Nederland is viewed by most as being very successful, but a look back at history will show how pathetic they were back before August/Newman. Nederland was somewhat of a doormat. No doubt Newman is a good coach, but he had time to implement his program and obviously it is successful.

Probably the key ingredient is, expectation. You have to expectations. You look at the PNGs,Jaspers,WOSs, Kountze(bball).....not only do coaches have the expectations the kids and communities do as well.

Like I said earlier i can't believe some of the things Kids say now days. Coach Thompson is a damn good Coach and a good man. Those people in PTA need to realize that and get over it. Go play for a Real Coach like they have now and maybe you'll go farther in the Playoffs! All boils down to parenting!!!!!!

The same type thing happened my senior year of hs in Jasper when Coach Brooks left and Coach Lauve came in....Many of the players said they would not play....well they all did and to make a long story short, we lost in the state semifinals that year...a pretty successful season

:shock: I missed the news but I take it they had a player on it. I do not ever recall a player picking his coach. That right there shows what the problem is, the kids think they call the shots. You want a successful program you have to kick those noncommitted nonconforming kids no matter how talented, off the team. Discipline,discipline,discipline.

Yeah Yeah Yeah all that discipline with no players.....

Anyway want to know what I think?

I will probably get banned for this so here it goes.....

PA went backward. Period. Had to get an old, white, under .500 last coaching assignment which was 8 years ago to revive the program.

Well with Autie Julia wanting to build the new high school at the old TJ site and with the board having an old TJ pricipal as temp Supt., well Mr Charlie Thompson just ices the cake so to speak.

I hear Ronnie the Great doesn't live in PA just owns property

Also I hear De-ruin will be the OC(19-36-3 at Nederland and currently overseeing NISD's knuckleheads)

Anything short of a state title is a bust since everybody thinks he's so damn great. He wont last 2 years.....

Guest JoesBros

I was at the meeting tonight to get the info for the site once they announced the coach. It turns out they said on the news that the kid who ran out and said "I Quit" was the QB. I talked to one of the parents who has a kid in football and she told me "I dont want someone who dosent know my kid coaching him" and all I told her was history speaks for itself and he's well respected as a coach and a person and that pissed her off and she walked off. BTW eveyone can read my thoughts on the situation in my editorial that about to be on the front page.

SFA85,

are you saying you will not support the guy?...Give him a chance...what will you say if he is successful? Even if you are unhappy with the decision dont you think its best for the team and the school to rally behind the guy...what good will bashing him do for the kids?

Its time for the drama to stop....PA needs to move on

I really dont get it. All I hear from my friends, and I have quite a few, from Port Arthur after a Memorial loss is that bad coaching is the problem (which I agree with). I cant understand why any city would be mad about getting a coach with a great history that has proven he knows how to win given the talent to work with. Memorial definitely has a ton of talent. I hope they dont set themselves up for failure by resigning themselves to disliking the guy for stupid reasons that have nothing to do with his coaching ability. The smart thing to do if you really want to win, which I know Port Arthur faithful follwers do, is rally behind the guy, encourage the kids to trust him, follow his program and see what happens. If they with him GREAT! If not, THEN ride him out of town.

You know, SFA, I can see your issues with him being old and under 500 at his last assignment. Why did you feel the need to throw "white" in there? If he's a "bad coach," does his skin color matter? If a white person had said that about a new black coach, the word "racist" would be spreading across this thread like wildfire. Does his race REALLY matter? Hooks at WO-S has done FINE.

They could have hired Jimmy Johnson and half the people would be upset. As for kids who don't want to play for the new coach, the team and system are probably better off without them, regardless of their talent. Bottom line is, Thompson is in. If he can restore discipline to the program, it will be successful. I think he is a good choice because the program needs someone with experience who frankly will not care what the malcontents have to say and just go about doing his job. If the malcontents are eliminated from the program, you will see a turnaround eventually.

I can't believe that I called it. I knew that Thompson was an excellent coach. I honestly didn't believe that he would actually be the selection. I think this is a move in the right direction for the team and schoool district. There's no better way around here to get the community behind a school like having a very successful football team.

What is the news for the other coaching positions? Are they going to hire the coordinators new as well? Someone said DeRoeun from Ned might be one. I'm thinking call Mike Long at Kelly. He'd probably leave head coaching at a private school to lead the offense at an up and coming 5A program that has the talent to show the state how to play football. There are several defgensive names out there also.

SFA85,

are you saying you will not support the guy?...Give him a chance...what will you say if he is successful? Even if you are unhappy with the decision dont you think its best for the team and the school to rally behind the guy...what good will bashing him do for the kids?

You know, SFA, I can see your issues with him being old and under 500 at his last assignment. Why did you feel the need to throw "white" in there? If he's a "bad coach," does his skin color matter? If a white person had said that about a new black coach, the word "racist" would be spreading across this thread like wildfire. Does his race REALLY matter? Hooks at WO-S has done FINE.

To answer the first question: Yes I will not support Ronnie the Great

To the second issue, I do have a problem with a white man coaching a prodimently black team that has dissassociated himself from the situation long time ago. DRH has been in Orange over 25 years and has seen white flight first hand and still stayed through the good and bad times(16-4 record the last 2 years in 4A and no playoffs). Like I've said on message boards and in person, this whole change of location, hiring of certain people in key positions in the district smells of ruining consoladation for the children. But hey, that's just me

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder