Stadium

Looked at the webcam this morning and the view toward the Athletic Complex.  Looking at it is doesn't appear their will be much room for burm seating in the South end zone with the two side ramps coming down for each team to access the field and the locker rooms.  With the suites on the north side there will be little or no room for burm seating.  I agree with Coachacola that the total bleacher capacity for the stadium will be around 16k and the 15,300 is the total fan/student seating (bleachers).  That said, with overflow on burm seating it will be hard to get even 20k for a game.  Would still love to see artist rendition of the new configuration and an expanded stadium to it's maximum potential.  Does anyone know if those exist and who may have them?  Hoopinsider Cooper why don't you file a freedom of information request of the athletic office and Simmons to ge these released?

Guest coachacola
I think they'll be able to squeeze around 20K into the stadium if they need to.  I think there's going to be a lot of open area in each corner for people to stand in.

If the extend the stands down to the endzones and wrap them a little that would get seating up to around 25K.  Add about 10K or so of upper deck seating and you're looking at a 35K+ seat stadium, about average for stadium in a non-BCS conference. 

What's nice is the stadium will be like new and it won't be one of those erector-set stadiums like UCF.

[quote name="coachacola" post="795415" timestamp="1272400023"]
I think they'll be able to squeeze around 20K into the stadium if they need to.  I think there's going to be a lot of open area in each corner for people to stand in.

If the extend the stands down to the endzones and wrap them a little that would get seating up to around 25K.  Add about 10K or so of upper deck seating and you're looking at a 35K+ seat stadium, about average for stadium in a non-BCS conference. 

What's nice is the stadium will be like new and it won't be one of those erector-set stadiums like UCF.
[/quote]

I think making the bowl around the south end is a must, and then take the north side's closer to the Montagne.  That could add about 10-12k which would get you 26-28k capacity.  Then add a large deck on the east side, maybe 8-10 k and you could get up to maybe 38k plus luxury suites which additional ones with an expanded press box could be added on the west side.  Wow, that could be a really nice stadium that could attract some mid and lower tier BCS conference schools to come in.  Don't think you would get a Texas, Florida, USC, Ohio State caliber team with that stadium, but maybe an Ole Miss, Baylor, Iowa State, South Carolina, Minnesota, NC State caliber team.  Just dreaming!

Guest coachacola
La Tech and some of the Sun Belt teams are able to schedule home games with SEC schools and their stadiums hold less than 35K.  Put Lamar in a WAC/Sun Belt type conference with a 35K+ stadium and they should be able to get a few good schools in.

Went by the stadium after work and found an opening in the fence so went in and did some looking around.  Here is some observations: the luxury suites are actually going to be in the Montagne Center structure where it comes out toward the stadium and beside the stairwell and elevator shaft and not on ground level with the field.  It appears that the slope beneath it would be to steep for burm seating, would be like a tubing hill with snow; after taking a long hard look at the bleachers on both sides, 15-16k is about all that it will hold.  I'm just not sure there is enough room for a deck on the east side.  Maybe with some big time engineering it would work but there is definately some space restrictions for people ramps and such.  It maybe better to just extend the sides upward with some ramps and a concourse underneath.  I'm not a civil engineer so I don's know how it would work.  You can defintely extend the sides toward the Montagne on both sides beyond the endzone and pick up considerable seating.  A bowl on the south end will work but it will cut out the view of the athletic complex altogether but would be need for seating capacity.  It's going to be real nice and when you look at it you get excited for the upcoming season.  It is easy to picture a full stadium.  Can't wait.

I'm excited to finally get to go see if once I get home from school. One thing that I've been saying for a long time is that they should just get metal bleachers and put those in front of the Montagne, and get them as high as they can be so that the people in the suites can still easily see every part of the field. I know bleachers seats don't sound great, but UT has a set under their big screen that I think holds 2,000 people, and it doesn't look bad at all. And that's a perfect idea of what Lamar could do. And since there is the hill, the could just bulldoze it all the way back to the Montagne, it would be fairly easy and it would open up more room for seating. I still say that the Montagne has to have a facelift or at least a pressure washing on the side facing the field. I have a hard time believing that they can put a second deck on top of the side of the stadium with the press box cause of how close it is to the high way. But, I don't see why they couldn't do what TX State has done and put an upper deck on the other side that could hold anywhere from 5-10 K. But yes, this stadium should basically be new. Did they just pressure wash the bleachers or paint them as well?

[quote name="Gtj007" post="795580" timestamp="1272459316"]
They painted all of the bleachers.
[/quote]

I was hoping so, I had heard they pressure washed and pressure washing isn't a permanent way of fixing things. So, they aren't touching the press box from what I've heard?

Guest coachacola
[quote name="AJ25" post="795586" timestamp="1272462156"]
[quote author=Gtj007 link=topic=69143.msg795580#msg795580 date=1272459316]
They painted all of the bleachers.
[/quote]

I was hoping so, I had heard they pressure washed and pressure washing isn't a permanent way of fixing things. So, they aren't touching the press box from what I've heard?
[/quote]

I saw them painting the stands last month.  Since they spent $1.5 million on the press box, it'll probably suffice until they expand the stadium.  If they build a big multi-level pressbox like McNeese has then they can't add more seating or an upper deck.

[quote name="AJ25" post="795559" timestamp="1272437456"]
I'm excited to finally get to go see if once I get home from school. One thing that I've been saying for a long time is that they should just get metal bleachers and put those in front of the Montagne, and get them as high as they can be so that the people in the suites can still easily see every part of the field. I know bleachers seats don't sound great, but UT has a set under their big screen that I think holds 2,000 people, and it doesn't look bad at all. And that's a perfect idea of what Lamar could do. And since there is the hill, the could just bulldoze it all the way back to the Montagne, it would be fairly easy and it would open up more room for seating. I still say that the Montagne has to have a facelift or at least a pressure washing on the side facing the field. I have a hard time believing that they can put a second deck on top of the side of the stadium with the press box cause of how close it is to the high way. But, I don't see why they couldn't do what TX State has done and put an upper deck on the other side that could hold anywhere from 5-10 K. But yes, this stadium should basically be new. Did they just pressure wash the bleachers or paint them as well?
[/quote]

They could probably bulldoze it back to the montagne and add a concrete structure with bleacher seats that would only be 10-12 rows high but bowl it around to both sides and that would work and add maybe 2-3,000 seats and it would look good.  Also they would probably need to add a auxiliary scoreboard on the North side against the Montagne if they bowl the south end.  Still would like to see atrist renditions of the stadium.

Guest coachacola
[quote name="formercaveman" post="795672" timestamp="1272482489"]
Any way one of you guys could sneak in and take some pictures of the stadium. I live in Houston now and never get a chance of going back that way. I would love to see how it is looking. I love the webcam but it does not show the stadium, just the fieldhouse.
[/quote]

It would be nice if the athletic department would update the construction blog.  They waited 4 months to update it last time, so I guess we'll have to wait until May for them to update it again.  There's really no excuse for that.

Any way one of you guys could sneak in and take some pictures of the stadium. I live in Houston now and never get a chance of going back that way. I would love to see how it is looking. I love the webcam but it does not show the stadium, just the fieldhouse.

[/quote]

I'll do it when I get home from school, that'll be another week from now.

[/quote]

This segment has some of the stadium at the end....
http://setxhomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=93545&watch=1

[quote name="smith" post="795779" timestamp="1272508691"]
[quote author=formercaveman link=topic=69143.msg795672#msg795672 date=1272482489]
[/quote]

This segment has some of the stadium at the end....
http://setxhomepage.com/fulltext?nxd_id=93545&watch=1

[/quote]

Looks good! Bleachers sure are white.

Guest coachacola
Here's a few screenshots from the video:

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/4563342926_09920ae81b_o.png[/img]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3347/4563342870_9f8e5f89fb_o.png[/img]

[img]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3449/4562712953_a1ce546963_o.png[/img]

[img]http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4562712877_de09314037_o.png[/img]

Guest coachacola
[quote name="NorthoftheBorder" post="795968" timestamp="1272574771"]
Coachacola, why don't you take the schematic off the Athletic site under the ticket sales button and photoshop a bowl on tthe south end and a upper deck on the east side with extended sides toward the Montagne.  That would give us something to talk about.
[/quote]

If I can find some free time I'll see what I can do.

They are having an announcement on the suites later this week. They are stuffing them in front of the Montagne on the North end of the stadium. Not sure how this will look but assuming they do something to mirror the athletic complex, it only seems logical that they would be forced to update the facade of the arena at that time. But we have some goofy people making decisions right now so as with everything else, it will be a wait and see... and pray a lot!

Guest coachacola
[quote name="PK" post="797634" timestamp="1272978816"]
But we have some goofy people making decisions right now so as with everything else, it will be a wait and see... and pray a lot!
[/quote]

:D :D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder