Solid Choice For Hamshire Fannett...

I think a good model would be Jasper. Their Jr high kids are incredible. They have implemented a good off-season program with them and the results show. Again, we have to have confidence that a head coach/AD will implement a good program from the ground up and we must support it. Up until this point we have not had confidence in the leadership which has caused the program to fail. We MUST work together.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigersvoice
[quote name="knows2much" post="785042" timestamp="1270134480"]
I played 4 years of college basketball.  We lifted weights 3 times a week during the season and I was a better player/athlete because of it. 
[/quote]

Weight lifting can be used for more than building up the body-builder muscles.  I think a designed weight lifting plan can be very beneficial to any athlete in any sport.  To become stronger (not muscle bound) and improve one's cardio-vascular
system cannot be a bad thing.

Guest Penny
[quote name="balla14" post="785095" timestamp="1270139949"]
First of all we are talking about junior high athletes lifting weights. How many junior high athletes actually benefit physically from lifting weights in the first place? I understand that you want to implement your program and that is fine but to form, technique, and tempo in my opinion. Another thing is that coaches (outside of baseball and basketball) do not see any problems with pressing heavy weight above your head and taking lifts past 90 degrees. Another objection is are these workouts the same that are done during football season? Highly doubt it...I agree with lifting in-season but to complement that sport...
[/quote]

Typically, high school lifting programs are aimed at becoming stronger for the all around athlete, ie faster, better core/flexibility, agility, stamina.... they translate to every sport.  There's not enough time to work your inner gluticalposteriortriceratoptus... if you get my drift.  They're doing squats, dead lift, pullups, plyometrics... etc  these are not sport specific, they are aimed at being a better athlete.  If you're playing a sport where athleticism isn't important, there may be an arguement.  Just my opinion.

Now I am beginning to see what really has taken place at HF over the last couple of AD's and its obvioous it will conintue with whoever they hire for this next one. This is obviously why "numbers are down" in football at HF, parents making decisions for kids in the best interest of what they think for their kids and their other sports outside of football and then having the option of either doing it like all other kids in the program or not playing. And of course they choose to not to do it and take the easy way out and quit. It is an attitude not a coach. It will only change when the attitude changes not the coach.

if players arent working out then how come each few years the size of 11-13 year old kids are more built and lean.  players of all sports are working out year around in season and out of season, hince YEAR AROUND.  once you get into middle school working out is cool nowadays.  i can tell you this, duke is doing moderate weight training.  youve got to be crazy if you think they arent lifting weights.

[quote name="im on fire" post="785487" timestamp="1270182144"]
if players arent working out then how come each few years the size of 11-13 year old kids are more built and lean.  players of all sports are working out year around in season and out of season, hince YEAR AROUND.  once you get into middle school working out is cool nowadays.  i can tell you this, duke is doing moderate weight training.  youve got to be crazy if you think they arent lifting weights.
[/quote]

Whatever "moderate weight training" that Duke basketball players did this week is vastly different than the Duke off-season football team's workouts.  

Since non-school youth sports are not going to disappear anytime soon, it seems in order to build successful high school programs, coaches should imbrace these activities by encouraging students to participate, holding coaching clinics for youth coaches, and discussing with parents training and workout programs, rather than (as some seem to indicate) allowing anomosity to develope between school coaches and parent/youth coaches.

[quote name="BadMedicine" post="785594" timestamp="1270221157"]
[quote author=im on fire link=topic=67983.msg785487#msg785487 date=1270182144]
if players arent working out then how come each few years the size of 11-13 year old kids are more built and lean.  players of all sports are working out year around in season and out of season, hince YEAR AROUND.  once you get into middle school working out is cool nowadays.  i can tell you this, duke is doing moderate weight training.  youve got to be crazy if you think they arent lifting weights.
[/quote]

Whatever "moderate weight training" that Duke basketball players did this week is vastly different than the Duke off-season football team's workouts.  

Since non-school youth sports are not going to disappear anytime soon, it seems in order to build successful high school programs, coaches should imbrace these activities by encouraging students to participate, holding coaching clinics for youth coaches, and discussing with parents training and workout programs, rather than (as some seem to indicate) allowing anomosity to develope between school coaches and parent/youth coaches.

maybe because its not football season...once basketball season ends i bet the basketball players get a workout very similar to the football program.  colleges and universities want strong fast players each year.  this doesnt happen with not working out.  when i was in college we had to workout during season and off season, ofcourse it was lighter during the season.
[/quote]

[quote name="Glad19" post="784764" timestamp="1270067535"]
Had an HF coach tell me yesterday that he had recently received several notes from Jr. high parents telling him that they didn't want their kid lifting weights because "they felt" like it would adversely effect them in baseball and basketball. Keep in mind that the Jr. high just started a new weight program about a month ago. This is HF's problem. Any positive step in the right direction is met with adversity. As long as these parents know more than the coaches this program doesn't have a prayer.
[/quote]

im on fire, this whole thing about weight lifting got started when Glad19 wrote the above without explaining why some of these parents (at least the basketball parents) made this request.  These kids are going to the National Little Dribblers tournament in a couple of weeks and the parents did not want them lifting weights in an off-season football workout.  Glad19 seems to be accusing these parents of being meddlesome.

Instead of requesting that the kids be removed from weighlifting altogether, the parents should've asked the coaches that the basketball players be allowed to participate in an in-season basketball workout until their basketball season is over.

It would be great to see Butler win, but I can't help but pull for Coach K and Duke to win another national championship.

First congrats to the little dribblers making it as far as they have. However, can you really expect a school program to work around the sports that are going on outside of school? If that's the case school programs would never be able to do anything because kids are always playing something outside of school. They do too much if you ask me.

Fillmore Central
PANTHERS
Head coach: Danny Malone
With starters returning at 16 positions, eight on offense and eight on defense, the Panthers seem a good bet to make great strides from last year’s 3-5 mark. [b]Head coach Danny Malone, who has won 204 games in his career, likes his team’s overall experience.[/b]“Not only do we have good experience back at many positions, we also have some good young players to mix in with our seniors,” says Malone. “It should be an interesting season for us but our schedule is really tough.” Malone has a point, as the Panthers out-of-district games include tussles with Boone Central, St. Cecilia, Fairbury and Wood River. Yikes.
Senior Riley Bohlken (6-2,175) returns as the team’s starting quarterback and last year had a solid season, passing for 736 yards and seven touchdowns. All-district fullback Tyler Salmon (6-2, 225) returns to pulverize would-be tacklers, while sophomore Tanner Licke (5-10, 190) steps into the starting running back position, taking over for all-district Durron Wynne, who gained nearly a thousand yards last season.
Sophomore Shawn Yates (5-10, 180) returns as a starting wide receiver and also does the team’s punting (31.5 per), while Paul Hubert, a 170-pound junior, is back at tight end.
Three starters return in the offensive line, including senior guards Sam Pendleton (6-1, 210) and Grant Snyder (5-10, 195) and junior tackle Nate Parde (6-0, 250).
There is a nice blend of experienced talent returning on defense. Three starters are back in the line, including senior tackle Levi Davenport (6-1, 250), senior end Snyder and junior end Tanner Barbur (6-1, 200). Salmon and junior Paul Hubert (6-0, 170) return at linebacker and Bohlken and Yates return as starters in the secondary. Bohlken was also an all-district performer in 2007.
That opening run of games will not do Fillmore Central any favors but we see the Panthers winning five games and making the playoffs.
[b][/b]
This I found on a Nebraska football website. This was before the 2008 season i believe.

Parents want to control all aspects of sports from the youth league to the varsity level.  They think they know more than all of the coaches who have taken college courses on anatomy, physiology, strength and conditioning of all ages and so on.  These school coaches go to workshops and clinics to refine their skills and learn know things.  Parents are still in the dark ages about recovery time of athletes.  I don't know if any of you have seen the gatorade commercial about their lab that they have and how they study the human body under all conditions.  Kids recover a whole lot faster than you think they do. Parents need to realize that coaches are not ever going to intentionally do anything to hurt kids, since they are their job.  Non-football people need to take a good look at some of these college and pro athletes and tell me how did they get so big and strong if they do not lift weights.

I don't know if Danny Malone is still in the running for the head coach & AD at Hamphire Fanette or not but if they want to turn around their program he is probably one of the best to do it. There was a lot of controversy with him at PNG back in the 90's. Mainly because he weeded out the non achievers. Parents were in an uproar over him. But look at the results. He turned around the program and I believe PNG won district his last year at PNG. Les Johnson did the same thing at Bridge City. And the same results from parents and teachers at Bridge City occured as at PNG. Sometimes it takes a tough, no noncense, coach to get things going the right way again. If he does get the job I hope the parents and teachers will let him do his job. He will get good results.

I have talked with alot of coaches and worked with them as well, and the consensus is that no varsity player lifts weights on game days.  The change that seems to be coming down is that all students are in a strength and conditioning class and that athletic teams workout after school.  There is no longer a so called off season program.  In schools like HF your better athletes need to play all sports and the situation was that if enough pressure was placed on certain people then they would not have to do any weight training at all.  When you have 30 straight basketball players and 20 straight baseball players there is a problem.  How do you convince them that they need to get stronger and the only way to do that is by pumping iron.  To my knowledge there is no lifting on game days.  Some coaches have told me that they will have Freshmen and JV players lift on game days, even football.

prove it aggiesare we
[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="785646" timestamp="1270228220"]
Old doc, here is a question for you.

Do high school football players lift weights or do any workout sessions on gamedays?

I know of several schools, with HF being one of them, that has their basketball and baseball players doing workouts on game days.
[/quote]

[quote name="fisherking" post="785771" timestamp="1270259624"]
prove it aggiesare we
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=67983.msg785646#msg785646 date=1270228220]
Old doc, here is a question for you.

Do high school football players lift weights or do any workout sessions on gamedays?

I know of several schools, with HF being one of them, that has their basketball and baseball players doing workouts on game days.
[/quote]
[/quote]

No. ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder