Friendswood 34 LaMarque 0: Final score from Friday, Opinions please

Guest GCMPats

[quote name="baddog" post="783731" timestamp="1269896067"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67894.msg783647#msg783647 date=1269883976]
Oh-hhhh, so now it's baseball and you want to MAKE UP different rules. Friendswood could have (1) purposely struckout.......
[/quote]

Why are you dogging FW? I thought you liked running up the score. You can't applaud one a dog the other. Don't be two-faced.
[/quote]baddog you are missing my points. Double standards is what I see here. I hear excuses why Friendswood ran the score up. I have no problem with the score. This is competition and not biddyball. It is what it is, they won by a large margin and if they really wanted to keep the score lower, they could have. Plain and simple.

In my opinion it it premature to compare this to the Coach Wise fiasco.  This is the only time I have heard of Friendswood beating a team so badly and it seems to be an isolated incident but Coach Wise regularly demoralized his opponenets.  As I eluded too earlier I do not know if Friendswood tried to do things to manage the score however it is clear Coach Wise did not.  Additionally, the Friendswood coach is not getting national attention for being unsportsmanlike.

Blue, you speak with such authority concerning this game stating Friendswood didn't do things to keep from running up the score you must have been there.  Did you enjoy the game.

[quote name="Puma" post="783744" timestamp="1269897858"]
In my opinion it it premature to compare this to the Coach Wise fiasco.  This is the only time I have heard of Friendswood beating a team so badly and it seems to be an isolated incident but Coach Wise regularly demoralized his opponenets.  As I eluded too earlier I do not know if Friendswood tried to do things to manage the score however it is clear Coach Wise did not.  Additionally, the Friendswood coach is not getting national attention for being unsportsmanlike.

Blue, you speak with such authority concerning this game stating Friendswood didn't do things to keep from running up the score you must have been there.  Did you enjoy the game.
[/quote]Twist it anyway you want, but the score dictates what happened. Don't make excuses ("only their first time and we weren't there." How many Yates' games did YOU attend to say they demoralized other teams? Look at your statement; [glow=red,2,300]"As I eluded too earlier I do not know if Friendswood tried to do things to manage the score however it is clear Coach Wise did not.  Additionally, the Friendswood coach is not getting national attention for being unsportsmanlike."[/glow]

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="783750" timestamp="1269898566"]
[quote author=Puma link=topic=67894.msg783744#msg783744 date=1269897858]

[/quote]Twist it anyway you want, but the score dictates what happened. Don't make excuses ("only their first time and we weren't there." How many Yates' games did YOU attend to say they demoralized other teams? Look at your statement; [glow=red,2,300]"As I eluded too earlier I do not know if Friendswood tried to do things to manage the score however it is clear Coach Wise did not.  Additionally, the Friendswood coach is not getting national attention for being unsportsmanlike."[/glow]
[/quote]

I didn't realize I was twisting anything.  The score alone doesn't neccessarily dictate what happened other than Friendswood won convincingly I don't know what Friendswood did after having an insuremountable lead and if they continued to try and run up the score I think there coach is wrong just like coach Wise was wrong.  I didn't see Yates play any games however I thought it had been well stablished Coach Wise continued to press and run while having huge leads late in games which I would describe as demoralizing.  Additionally, I have not seen any articles written by ESPN writters lambasting the coach at Friendswood nor have I seen any blogs with "Anti Coach Wise" in their titles.

it's one thing to tell a basketball team to slow the ball down, or drop out of the press.  this doesn't hurt the kids individually or as a team... to ask a baseball player to intentionally bomb his stats is a different matter.  there are a lot of ways to TRY and keep a baseball score reasonable, but asking a kid to intentionally strike out is too much.

[quote name="bullets13000" post="783784" timestamp="1269903155"]
it's one thing to tell a basketball team to slow the ball down, or drop out of the press.  this doesn't hurt the kids individually or as a team... to ask a baseball player to intentionally bomb his stats is a different matter.  there are a lot of ways to TRY and keep a baseball score reasonable, but asking a kid to intentionally strike out is too much.
[/quote]Half a dozen in one hand and six in the other; YOUR RATIONALE SUCKS!!!!  ::)

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="783791" timestamp="1269904019"]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67894.msg783784#msg783784 date=1269903155]
it's one thing to tell a basketball team to slow the ball down, or drop out of the press.  this doesn't hurt the kids individually or as a team... to ask a baseball player to intentionally bomb his stats is a different matter.  there are a lot of ways to TRY and keep a baseball score reasonable, but asking a kid to intentionally strike out is too much.
[/quote]Half a dozen in one hand and six in the other; YOUR RATIONALE SUCKS!!!!  ::)
[/quote]

your unwillingness to see the difference in the two situations sucks.

Look running the score up was wrong in Friendswood and Yates case. Wrong is wrong why is there always who is least wrong. Yes FW could have done things to stop the bleeding, as a player and coach I have done it in baseball and basketball. Also I have payed schools back for running scores up on our kids, part of small school ability. Oh and those that say they have done this to people and have had it done to them, what goes around comes around and coaches talk. We remember those who embarassed our kids. Some people are given more talented kids it happens. Sometimes it takes time to build programs. I tell you in basketball there are few ways to stop the blowout possibly and thats a few hard solid screens that will wake up pressing teams up by 100. If any of you got beat by the scores we see that you say are ok you would not say the things you do.

34-0 to me means that the other team just plain out sucks or the other team was that d$mn good, no matter how you view this.
on as off. view....  a coach should never tell his players NEVER to stop playing their game.  the only thing i would have done as a coach here is make the kids work on switch hitting then i would let the PLAYERS swing or bunt whatever they wanted to work on but it had to be from the switch side.  i would keep on playing ball though. advancing on passballs or shot to the gap should be played as if the game was on the line every play. if the kid wants to steal, let him, its his stats not ours.  if he wants to get into a "hot box" and work on that let him.  the kids would be playing their own game. 

on the def side...... subs would be in for sure and in the spots they need the most improvement on.  noone would be in a "regular" position and mr. ragarm would be on the mound!

play ball

[quote name="bullets13000" post="783871" timestamp="1269915145"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67894.msg783791#msg783791 date=1269904019]
[quote author=bullets13000 link=topic=67894.msg783784#msg783784 date=1269903155]
[/quote]

your unwillingness to see the difference in the two situations sucks.
[/quote]This isn't biddyball!!  ::)

Guest strongend
What if there were rival reasons for this beating?  Anyone know the whole situation?  It is easy to sit back and judge, but we dont know the history between these two schools or the coaches.  This may have been coming for something that happened in another sport.  Are you supposed to tell your kids to stop playin?  I remember when Lamarque beat someone in football 77-0 in the state semifinals.  What comes around goes around.

I just dont see that its Friendswood's fault that LaMarque is not good at all. LaMarque forfeited their spring break games cause no one would show up. This would never happen in football. That left 2 teams that they were supposed to play with no games. Its LaMarque that has a problem, not Fwood. If they can find 9 that will committ and work to get better, dont have baseball.

I have no problem with the score of the Yates game (170-35).  My disappointment is that the team was still pressing.  I don't think they should have stopped playing hard, shot only left handed jump shots, or tried to miss free throws.  I think the kids should try to play hard and score if you can.  I just think you take off the press.  Likewise in baseball, you should not stop trying to hit the ball, only bunt, or have to hit from the opposite side, but I do think you should stop stealing, don't take extra bases, and rotate subs in at their positions.  To me this is the best way to handle the situation so your team improves and the other team is not embarressed. 

[quote name="formercaveman" post="784637" timestamp="1270050090"]
I have no problem with the score of the Yates game (170-35).  My disappointment is that the team was still pressing.  I don't think they should have stopped playing hard, shot only left handed jump shots, or tried to miss free throws.  I think the kids should try to play hard and score if you can.  I just think you take off the press.  Likewise in baseball, you should not stop trying to hit the ball, only bunt, or have to hit from the opposite side, but I do think you should stop stealing, don't take extra bases, and rotate subs in at their positions.  To me this is the best way to handle the situation so your team improves and the other team is not embarressed. 
[/quote]

good post

How many of the folks who posted here were at the game? How many folks who condemed the FW coaches have any idea what really happened. Several posters took a balanced approach and stated they had no idea what the circumstances were, but here is what they would have liked to see happen from their perspective, thank you for that. For those who condemed FW based on your stereotyping of FW and cmmunities like FW let me tell you what happened;

1. LM had 8 players. They have forfeited several games because they had less than 8 players. The coach went around the school and recruited players. His "best" player decide the day of the FW game he would rather go watch a sweet sixteen game at Reliant - understand what he is dealing with?
2. FW did not start several regulars. The starters that did play were out after 2 innnings.
3. The game went 5 innings. Out of the 15 outs, 14 were strikeouts. One ball was put in play! We were serving up fastball meat ball after meatball.
4. After the first couple innings the subs were instructed to start swinging at anything they could get their bat on, ball or strike., They were swinging at balls over their shoulders! Does this help FW stay sharp, no, but it was the right thing to do.
5. We stopped taking extra bases and stealing
6. We did not play the bunting game, that is more insulting than anything.

In summary the FW coach did the best he could - he stopped "pressing" early in the game - unlike the Yates team. Our parents did not make "34" t shirts like the Yates parents did after they scored 174! We handled it with as much class as we could. For those that condemned us based on their stereotyped perceptions of FW, shame on you, that is the definition of a bigot.

There is no elegant way to handle this situation, but I have no issues with what we did, nor did the LM fans, parents and coaches.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="783610" timestamp="1269878627"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67894.msg783595#msg783595 date=1269877563]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=67894.msg783592#msg783592 date=1269877243]
This is a tough one. Baseball teams are suposed to be protected by the "mercy" rule. With all the talk on SETEX Sports about the Yates basketball team this year, what do you do as a coach to avoid this type of situation?
[/quote]'This is a tough one." What? You were all over the basketball forum dogging out the Yates' coach for running up the score. But do I see you doing it to Friendswood? hMMM! Oh, but this is a tough one, right?  WOW!
[/quote]

Exactly! It is tough because we are supposed to prevent this type of situation from happening by having a "mercy" rule in place. It did not work this time! It makes us in the baseball community look hypocritical. There is no reason for any baseball team to score 34 runs. Period. It is also tough in that there is no game clock in baseball and therefore, the is no way to speed the game along. I would have gone to a "bunting" game and given up the outs the fastest way possible. No one on the Friendswood team benefited from this game. Just like no one from Yates got any better by playing Houston Lee. They are both "district" games and have to be played. They just do not have to embarrass the opponent.

I stand by my opinion on Yates and Coach Wise. There [b]is[/b] a way to slow the game down and run out the clock against a clearly inferior opponent. They just chose not to do itl
[/quote]

You have no idea what you are talking about. GCM would have beat them by the same score even while trying to keep the score down , how do you prevent kids from walking on 4 pitches they can not get their bat on? There is integrity to the game fella, and we tried to do that with sportsmanship!

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="783672" timestamp="1269887746"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=67894.msg783665#msg783665 date=1269886960]
Oh-hhhh, so now it's baseball and you want to MAKE UP different rules. Friendswood could have (1) purposely struckout.......
[/quote]

What different rules are we making up? The nercy rule has always been in effect in baseball. What does the UIL have in place fro basketball?

And yes, that could have been an option for the Friendswood coach. Hopefully he regrets the score and will act differently when they play LM again. If not, he is no better than Coach Wise.
[/quote][glow=red,2,300]Why can't you just admit [/glow] they could have:   "Switch hit, bunt, throw with wrong hand, run backwards around the bases, pitch underhanded, and so forth."
[/quote]

And your solution is really making the other team respect you while you make a mockery out of the game and insult them? You have no clue.

[quote name="fwstangs" post="784784" timestamp="1270071644"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67894.msg783672#msg783672 date=1269887746]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=67894.msg783665#msg783665 date=1269886960]
[/quote]

What different rules are we making up? The nercy rule has always been in effect in baseball. What does the UIL have in place fro basketball?

And yes, that could have been an option for the Friendswood coach. Hopefully he regrets the score and will act differently when they play LM again. If not, he is no better than Coach Wise.
[/quote][glow=red,2,300]Why can't you just admit [/glow] they could have:   "Switch hit, bunt, throw with wrong hand, run backwards around the bases, pitch underhanded, and so forth."
[/quote]

And your solution is really making the other team respect you while you make a mockery out of the game and insult them? You have no clue.
[/quote]

Thanks for the very interesting details of what yall's classy coach did to hold down the score. Nice post and good information.

Don't hold your breath waiting on a retraction from any of the "bluedoves". They were just lashing back because some on this board dared to question the Yates Basketball coach's scores. Those people are really clueless when it comes to human decency and sportsmanship. To some of them its all about kicking someone while they are down and then beating your chest. Really sickening.

fw a lot of the stuff said was in hypothetical situations because no ne knew what happened. It got blew out of proportion due to the Yates crap and when I say crap thats exactly what Yates pressing and winning by 100+ is. Thank you for clearing it up, sounds like fw coach did what he could do. Lamarque needs to get things figured out and find a few more kids with some heart who wanna play ball. Please if anyone is from Lamarque don't get upset with me, and don't tell me it is bc the coach. I know I did not like a lot of my coaches but I love the game to put our differences aside.

If you cannot stop the bleeding then you need to find a way you can.... as a coach you always find a way. If you are not very good, then you need to find a way to get outs, and keep doing it. I have been in that situation about not being able to get an out. You cannot expect a coach to tell his kids to get out on purpose! That is not right!!!!! No matter what!!!! What is that teaching our kids??????!!!!!!!

[quote name="fwstangs" post="784781" timestamp="1270071354"]
How many of the folks who posted here were at the game? How many folks who condemed the FW coaches have any idea what really happened. Several posters took a balanced approach and stated they had no idea what the circumstances were, but here is what they would have liked to see happen from their perspective, thank you for that. For those who condemed FW based on your stereotyping of FW and cmmunities like FW let me tell you what happened;

1. LM had 8 players. They have forfeited several games because they had less than 8 players. The coach went around the school and recruited players. His "best" player decide the day of the FW game he would rather go watch a sweet sixteen game at Reliant - understand what he is dealing with?
2. FW did not start several regulars. The starters that did play were out after 2 innnings.
3. The game went 5 innings. Out of the 15 outs, 14 were strikeouts. One ball was put in play! We were serving up fastball meat ball after meatball.
4. After the first couple innings the subs were instructed to start swinging at anything they could get their bat on, ball or strike., They were swinging at balls over their shoulders! Does this help FW stay sharp, no, but it was the right thing to do.
5. We stopped taking extra bases and stealing
6. We did not play the bunting game, that is more insulting than anything.

In summary the FW coach did the best he could - he stopped "pressing" early in the game - unlike the Yates team. Our parents did not make "34" t shirts like the Yates parents did after they scored 174! We handled it with as much class as we could. For those that condemned us based on their stereotyped perceptions of FW, shame on you, that is the definition of a bigot.

There is no elegant way to handle this situation, but I have no issues with what we did, nor did the LM fans, parents and coaches.
[/quote]

thanks for the clarity.  ;)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder