Friendswood 34 LaMarque 0: Final score from Friday, Opinions please

Guest GCMPats

Guest GCMPats
This is a tough one. Baseball teams are suposed to be protected by the "mercy" rule. With all the talk on SETEX Sports about the Yates basketball team this year, what do you do as a coach to avoid this type of situation?

[quote name="GCMPats" post="783592" timestamp="1269877243"]
This is a tough one. Baseball teams are suposed to be protected by the "mercy" rule. With all the talk on SETEX Sports about the Yates basketball team this year, what do you do as a coach to avoid this type of situation?
[/quote]'This is a tough one." What? You were all over the basketball forum dogging out the Yates' coach for running up the score. But do I see you doing it to Friendswood? hMMM! Oh, but this is a tough one, right?  WOW!

no class! unless...

I think you minimize by going station to station when running the bases... no extra bases even on balls in gaps, no steals. I would keep swinging the bats though. Not sure what can be done pitching wise besides going to your last resort pitchers... maybe straight fastballs.

were any of these things done?

I think these things are the equivalent of taking away the full court press... which was what yates should've done.

I agree with dayton. Did Frienswood pull their starters? If they continued to steal and take extra bases with the score like this it would have got bad. I believe every coach knows what happens in situations like this, you put a few in the ribs of the other team. That is what I like about baseball, you can defend yourself from classless acts, unlike in that communist sport of basketball lol, just playing about the communist thing.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="783595" timestamp="1269877563"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=67894.msg783592#msg783592 date=1269877243]
[/quote]'This is a tough one." What? You were all over the basketball forum dogging out the Yates' coach for running up the score. But do I see you doing it to Friendswood? hMMM! Oh, but this is a tough one, right?  WOW!
[/quote]

Exactly! It is tough because we are supposed to prevent this type of situation from happening by having a "mercy" rule in place. It did not work this time! It makes us in the baseball community look hypocritical. There is no reason for any baseball team to score 34 runs. Period. It is also tough in that there is no game clock in baseball and therefore, the is no way to speed the game along. I would have gone to a "bunting" game and given up the outs the fastest way possible. No one on the Friendswood team benefited from this game. Just like no one from Yates got any better by playing Houston Lee. They are both "district" games and have to be played. They just do not have to embarrass the opponent.

I stand by my opinion on Yates and Coach Wise. There [b]is[/b] a way to slow the game down and run out the clock against a clearly inferior opponent. They just chose not to do itl

The bunting is in a sort an embarassment, I make sure to ask a coach before I did that. It is one of the things that I would result to. If not I would have my last string in and let them hit and move station to station and if it continued to get out of hand I would take till I had 2 strikes possibly. If that did not work I would make my kids try to do certain things with the ball and we would try to learn to hit the ball where we need to. Work situatons in our head atleast.

Northforest in district 19-4A has a softball team this year for the first time in school history.  My daughters team played them last week and could have scored as many runs as Friendswood did on LaMarque with ease.  Our girls only know one way to play the game and that is wide open and we are trying to be the number 1 ranked team in the state and country.  For those of you that don't know there is a mercy rule in girls softball of 15 runs after 3 innings.

We score 15 runs in the first inning going wide open, then our coach informed the umpires that every time we got a runner on base we would leave the base early and he would call our runner out.  Final Score 15-0 in 3 innings.  I do not think NF even knew what was going on. 

I know you can not leave the base early in baseball but the Friendswood coach could have done something.

Shame on Friendswood and Yates.

This score is disappointing to me, but i don't know the circumstances of the game, and what measures (if any) that the Friendswood coach took to try and manage the score...  If he took serious steps to try to keep the score down, then there's not much to say.  if not, i have as little respect for him as i do for coach wise.  i will say this: when Friendswood sets the national record for consecutive 30 run games by intentionally running up the score on every opponent they face, all of you Wise-supporters can make a realistic argument about double standards.  

[quote name="bullets13000" post="783652" timestamp="1269884488"]
This score is disappointing to me, but i don't know the circumstances of the game, and what measures (if any) that the Friendswood coach took to try and manage the score...  If he took serious steps to try to keep the score down, then there's not much to say.  if not, i have as little respect for him as i do for coach wise.  i will say this: when Friendswood sets the national record for consecutive 30 run games by intentionally running up the score on every opponent they face, all of you Wise-supporters can make a realistic argument about double standards.  
[/quote]It only takes one game. Plus, Friendswood may not be the powerhouse team as Wise's team.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="783647" timestamp="1269883976"]
Oh-hhhh, so now it's baseball and you want to MAKE UP different rules. Friendswood could have (1) purposely struckout.......
[/quote]

What different rules are we making up? The nercy rule has always been in effect in baseball. What does the UIL have in place fro basketball?

And yes, that could have been an option for the Friendswood coach. Hopefully he regrets the score and will act differently when they play LM again. If not, he is no better than Coach Wise.

Switch hit, bunt, throw with wrong hand, run backwards around the bases, pitch underhanded, and so forth. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL! j/k that's horrible, but how do you compare so many blowout wins by Yates to one blowout win by Friendswood. All in all both are wrong, but I don't know if there is a real answer. I do know in basketball your able to control the game alot easier than baseball.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="783665" timestamp="1269886960"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67894.msg783647#msg783647 date=1269883976]
Oh-hhhh, so now it's baseball and you want to MAKE UP different rules. Friendswood could have (1) purposely struckout.......
[/quote]

What different rules are we making up? The nercy rule has always been in effect in baseball. What does the UIL have in place fro basketball?

And yes, that could have been an option for the Friendswood coach. Hopefully he regrets the score and will act differently when they play LM again. If not, he is no better than Coach Wise.
[/quote][glow=red,2,300]Why can't you just admit [/glow] they could have:   "Switch hit, bunt, throw with wrong hand, run backwards around the bases, pitch underhanded, and so forth."

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="783672" timestamp="1269887746"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=67894.msg783665#msg783665 date=1269886960]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67894.msg783647#msg783647 date=1269883976]
[/quote]

[/quote][glow=red,2,300]Why can't you just admit [/glow] they could have:   "Switch hit, bunt, throw with wrong hand, run backwards around the bases, pitch underhanded, and so forth."
[/quote]

They could have.

The real question is this.  Did friendswood do anything to slow their team, such as going with weaker pitchers, subs, stop running bases, etc?  If not, they should be ashamed.  I bet they did all of those things.  Now, what did yates do to slow their team?  They already admitted that they did nothing except to try and run the score up.    Maybe we will hear from someone from Friendswood.  I can tell you that if they stole one base after it was about 20-0, then the coach should be reprimanded.

We had some scores like this back in the day against some very bad Lincoln teams.  We played everyone, switch hit and did everything we could to get the game over. We kinda felt sorry for them untill we remembered they usually beat us by 80 in basketball. :D  So Coach Wise may have made it harder on his schools other sports teams, I guess what goes around comes around.

I agree with some of the comments made already.  If the Friendswood coach did not take measures to manage the score he is no better than Coach Wise.  Does anyone know if he continued to try to score runs after having the game well in hand.

Maybe this is a situation similar to what Coach Wise has done and he made his intentions clear at the beginning of the season.

[quote name="Puma" post="783723" timestamp="1269895228"]
I agree with some of the comments made already.  If the Friendswood coach did not take measures to manage the score he is no better than Coach Wise.  Does anyone know if he continued to try to score runs after having the game well in hand.

Maybe this is a situation similar to what Coach Wise has done and he made his intentions clear at the beginning of the season.
[/quote]I think it has already been established [glow=red,2,300]HOW[/glow] they could not have run the score up (switch hit, throw lefty, kick the ball, walk the players, etc, etc, bah-hhhh!

While I believe in good sportsmanship, I also believe in giving your all.  The rules wern't bent to help Friendswood or anything.  The way I see it, all teams play by the same rules, and this isn't little league.  These kids are taught to play hard and it's not right to ask them to sacrifice things that could possibly help get them noticed by colleges.  You can still win big and show good sportsmanship.  We do this to teams and it's been done to us.  It's just my opinion, but when you try out for high school sports, your mature enough to know what your signing up for.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="783647" timestamp="1269883976"]
[/quote]

Why are you dogging FW? I thought you liked running up the score. You can't applaud one a dog the other. Don't be two-faced.

[quote name="BLUEDOVE3" post="783725" timestamp="1269895427"]
[quote author=Puma link=topic=67894.msg783723#msg783723 date=1269895228]

[/quote]I think it has already been established [glow=red,2,300]HOW[/glow] they could not have run the score up (switch hit, throw lefty, kick the ball, walk the players, etc, etc, bah-hhhh!
[/quote]

There is an unwritten ettiquette in every sport.  When you get a big lead, you don't do certain things.  In football, you stop throwing deep and blitzing.  In baseball, you stop stealing bases and taking extra bases.  In basketball, you pull out of the press.  Soccer, work the ball around in the midfield area.  it's different for every sport.  Nobody says Yates should shoot freethrows left-handed,or intentionally travel, just come out of the press.  Throw the ball left handed?  Intentional walks?  Now you are being silly.

[quote name="westend1" post="783736" timestamp="1269897015"]
[quote author=BLUEDOVE3 link=topic=67894.msg783725#msg783725 date=1269895427]
[quote author=Puma link=topic=67894.msg783723#msg783723 date=1269895228]

[/quote]

There is an unwritten ettiquette in every sport.  When you get a big lead, you don't do certain things.  In football, you stop throwing deep and blitzing.  In baseball, you stop stealing bases and taking extra bases.  In basketball, you pull out of the press.   Soccer, work the ball around in the midfield area.  it's different for every sport.   Nobody says Yates should shoot freethrows left-handed,or intentionally travel, just come out of the press.  Throw the ball left handed?  Intentional walks?  Now you are being silly.
[/quote]

Finally somebody who makes sense. To get out intentionally, throw w/ the "wrong" arm, run bases backwards, etc. would be classless and demeaning....I'd rather get my butt kicked than have an opponent do such things. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami