Lady Raiders vs Lady Bulldogs

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="FriendswoodFan" post="783431" timestamp="1269826452"]
BB hardly needs me to defend her, but you say that Kelly did "okay"?  This coming from a PNG fan?  A team that habitually plays a WEAK schedule, piling up individual and team statisitics against very undermanned opponents instead of getting prepared -- really prepared -- for the post season, and then makes its usual early exit from the playoffs.  I'll take BB and the Kelly girls any day!
[/quote]

Friendswood Fan:  Easy on your PNG bashing!  Not sure you have even looked at who was on their PreSeason Schedule! PNG did lose twice to a VERY good Kelly team... the first one being their first game of the year 3-1 and then 1-0 in a hard fought battle in early February.  By the way, Kelly started their season in November and had a few games under their belt, but no excuses they flat out beat PNG by playing the way Kelly always does and that is hard nose soccer!  The other teams on their PreSeason stint included Angelton, Goose Creek Memorial, West Brook, Lindale, Longview and Longview Pine Tree.  PNG lost to Brenham last week in overtime, but this game was a battle till the end with each team having several chances to win it!  The ball did not bounce PNG's way, but each year they continue to make strides in their program and continue to get better! I am going to say that Brenham beats Midway, then gives Friendswood all they can handle! By the way...Angleton, Longview and Longview Pine Tree are still in the playoffs! Good Luck to Friendswood and may the rest of the playoffs be fun, safe, soccer!

The Brenham/Midway game is a tough one this year.  I say Midway by 1 again.  But I dont think it will matter which team faces Friendswood this time.  Either one would lose 2 or 3 to nada.  Now i know FF will have a little to add to this, so i apologize ahead of time for stoking him up, but thats the way i see it going down.  And just so you know, i dont care which one of these three go to state, I'm pulling for whoever it is.

I think Midway will beat Brenham, and that Friendswood will beat Midway by 3-4 goals.  Whether Friendswood can FINALLY beat Pearce or McKinney in the State Tournament is a different question.  Frankly, I think their defense and keeper play on this team gets a little shaky when playing other upper echelon teams. 

I am from another school in Nederland's district, and have seen both Nederland and Lumberton play several games this year. In addition, my school played Lumberton this year, and played Nederland several times. And while both teams are tough teams, I will say that I am glad Lumberton won. And to say that "The Bulldogs players played a very physical game" is always an understatement for Nederland. They play to hurt. And if an opposing player gets hurt by a Nederland player, I have seen their team rejoice. Very, very poor taste. If you are a good team, then you don't need to play that way, you just play soccer to let your skill show through.
Congratulations Lumberton.

Here are some interesting facts:

The UIL has had 4A girls soccer for 11 years, and the Friendswood girls have:

* reached no less than the region III semifinals in all 11 years

* reached the region III championship game in 8 of the 11 years

* won all 7 of the regional championship games in which they have played (the 8th such game is tomorrow)

* reached the state championship game in 4 of the 11 years

* won 1 state championship

Nice!!!!!

I just got back from the game, and wanted to congratulate the Midway Girls for their 1-0 win over the Mighty Lady Mustangs.  Midway was the better team today and Friendswood played tight and out of sync (no doubt Midway had something to o with that).  I would have hoped for more adjustments by Friendswood as the game played to a close, but I can't say I expected that to happen.  Good luck Midway at State!!!!  ;D

[quote name="FriendswoodFan" post="785894" timestamp="1270327412"]
I just got back from the game, and wanted to congratulate the Midway Girls for their 1-0 win over the Mighty Lady Mustangs.  Midway was the better team today and Friendswood played tight and out of sync (no doubt Midway had something to o with that).  I would have hoped for more adjustments by Friendswood as the game played to a close, but I can't say I expected that to happen.  Good luck Midway at State!!!!   ;D
[/quote]

always a lousy winner, but you always lose so gracefully and with such class :)  congrats to friendswood on another impressive year.

Yes, FF is an antagonist and he relishes that role. He is backed by a real good program that he supports. Most of the time, he knows his facts(his dimissal of Dallas Urseline, being one of his recent misfires). His posts are provactive and sometimes ugly, sometimes controversial. If you don't want to read what he posts, skip it. Otherwise, I say let him speak. No more censorship. He thought Friendswood would beat Midway. Personally, I would like to read his observations on where he was wrong.

From the beginning, the FW girls played way too direct and did not use the width of the field.  They seemed way too anxious to want to score fast, and Midway get a great job of jumping the passing lanes, interrupting FW's flow, and marking up on AH.  

After a couple of mental mistakes led to a Midway goal, the FW girls got panicky and even more direct.  Against many teams they can simply manufacture scoring chances and goals even when playing so predictably by virtue of their greater talent level, and they were able to create a few chances against Midway but they missed.  And, for the mst part Midway's defense was able to intercept the 2nd or 3rd passes, and clear the ball away.

Unfortunately, but not surprisingly, FW made no adjustments at halftime, and Midway packed it in even further.  I thought that Midway's frequent substitutions and a warm day started to wear down the FW starters, and as time ticked away. the FW girls pressed too much to make it happen in one fell swoop, rather than build up their scoring chances.  Even so, FW had several good chances in the last several minutes, but simply could not capitalize.

All in all, Midway was better prepared and deserved to win over a more talented team!

yep, we have all seen it before; too many attenpts straight at the box instead of crossing from the outside to prevent the defense from setting up and staying established. Teams get in a habit of doing this when they play weaker competition and can out-athlete lesser opponents and score. Thanks for the report and FF had a great year. One of the top teams in the state. They will miss Hall.

Can't have BB back. We love her. She should have, barring injury, one of the best senior laden teams in the area next year.
What a career and what an athlete Annalisa Hall is! It has been fun to watch her on the club scene and she will be missed by Friendswood. Do you know where she will play next year?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder