Kountze vs. New Waverly Updates/NW WINS 77-65!!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="Socrates" post="769540" timestamp="1267546289"]
A buddy of mine said that people were standing 15 deep. He also said that one of the NW kids had the best dunk he has seen in a long time.
[/quote]

Yea....if the replay is still up, tune to about 15:30 on the clock. Towards the end of the 1st quarter. Pretty sick!

[quote name="utfan06" post="769517" timestamp="1267544753"]
What made me mad was Trueblue and his son standing on the wall and his son clapping and cheering when Devin Brey fouled out!! Cmon have some class and dont be mad because Kountze and New Waverly shut yall down
[/quote]

That's embarassing.

It was everything people expected it to be, exciting, intense, and completely insane(the atmosphere). New Waverly won because of their relentless attack on the boards all night and their experience. Harrison played great as a star on a great team should. The dunk had to be the sickest thing I have ever witnessed live. Kountze had a great year and congrats to them! But New Waverly proved to be the better team. Good luck to New Waverly! And they better get ready for Ponder at state.

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="769572" timestamp="1267549854"]
[font=Courier]But Team True Blue is also claiming they are Sour Lake bound.[/font]
[/quote]

So let me get this timeline straight. Sophomore year at Evadale, junior year at East Chambers, and now next year, his senior year, at Hardin-Jefferson.

Who does he think he is, Troy House?

I will be very surprised to see him at HJ.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="769589" timestamp="1267551090"]
Harrison and one of the Watts kids is going to SFA for football.
[/quote]

Yep...i saw that as I was doing some research yesterday.

Harrison as a WR
Tyren Watts as a RB (rushed for 1592 yds and 19 TDs this past season)

[quote name="HoopInsider_Cooper" post="769572" timestamp="1267549854"]
[font=Courier]But Team True Blue is also claiming they are Sour Lake bound.[/font]
[/quote]

So let me get this timeline straight. Sophomore year at Evadale, junior year at East Chambers, and now next year, his senior year, at Hardin-Jefferson.

[/quote]

We do have a couple of openings on J.V. for him.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="769586" timestamp="1267551004"]
[quote author=HoopInsider_Cooper link=topic=66725.msg769572#msg769572 date=1267549854]
[/quote]

[/quote]I don't think you can play JV as a senior :)

[quote name="whsalum" post="769848" timestamp="1267591068"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=66725.msg769586#msg769586 date=1267551004]
[quote author=HoopInsider_Cooper link=topic=66725.msg769572#msg769572 date=1267549854]
[/quote]

[/quote]I don't think you can play JV as a senior :)
[/quote]
Hats off to Kountze.  That was about the most exciting game I have seen in a long time.  I thought the guys on both teams left it on the court.  It's a shame they had to meet this early.  To everyone that didnt give NW a chance there is no smack talk, all I will say is I am glad the game is not played on the internet.  Go Dogs

Guest ANGRYANGEL
Under-Dogs?
  Top-ranked New Waverly takes Kountze’s best shot, advances
By Gene Schallenberg
Staff Reporter

LIVINGSTON — It doesn’t get much better than that.

After three quarters of a dogfight between two of the best that Class 2A has to offer, the Bulldogs were the ones who made plays down the stretch.

The top-ranked Dogs are moving on to the Region III tournament for the third straight season after beating fourth-ranked Kountze 77-65 on Monday.

Playing in front of a capacity crowd at Livingston Junior High on Monday — more than 100 fans had to be turned away at the door due to the gym not being able to fit any more people — in a game in which every possession was crucial, Kountze gave New Waverly all it could handle. But it wasn’t enough.

“This was crazy,” New Waverly senior Kyren Watts said. “Coming in against Kountze, people were looking at us like we were the underdog and we took that personally. We knew that we just had to stick together and we would win. We weren’t going to leave here without a W. We were prepared well for this game.”

No matter what the Bulldogs (30-3) did, the Lions fired back. But after the Bulldogs took the lead for good with a little less than five minutes to play, their defense did what it does best. The Dogs did not allow easy buckets and forced a few turnovers.

With a little more than three minutes to play, the Dogs came up with two big turnovers that put all the game’s momentum in the Bulldogs’ hands.

Lions guard David Johnson, who was attacking the basket and lost control of the ball, tried to save the ball from going out of bounds but threw it right to Watts at midcourt. Watts took it all the way for an easy layup.

Then after X’Zavious Harrison knocked the ball away near Kountze’s basket, Harrison stole the inbound pass and threw the ball nearly the length of the court to Arthur Reece, who easily laid the ball in to give the Dogs a five-point lead with a little less than three minutes to play.

“We just frustrated them,” New Waverly head coach Bill Goffney said. “We frustrated them big-time with our defense. They never could settle into a rhythm.

“We were not going to play a track meet with these guys. We were going to lock down into what we call our blue-collar defense and they couldn’t handle it. We kept them off-balance and flustered. We had turnovers here and there, but more importantly was that they had turnovers. They had big turnovers and we capitalized.”

The Lions (33-3) couldn’t hit desperation shots down the stretch, but the Bulldogs did and walked away with the victory.

After senior post Kyren Watts ran into foul trouble in the first half, Goffney didn’t waste any time going to his bench. Post Wes Wagner had one of his best games of the season.

Wagner came in grabbing rebounds for second-chance opportunities, and even hit the Dogs’ only 3-pointer of the night, finishing with 11 points.

“I knew I had to come in and step up,” Wagner said. “Kyren’s a big leader for us and he scores a lot of points. I know I had to come in and do something.”

Playing the nightcap of a doubleheader at Tyler Junior College on Friday, the Bulldogs will play Arp at 8 p.m. New Waverly’s game will follow the first semifinal between Gladewater Sabine and Anahuac.

[quote name="True Blue" post="770943" timestamp="1267758312"]
[quote author=utfan06 link=topic=66725.msg769517#msg769517 date=1267544753]
[b]What made me mad [/b] was Trueblue and his son standing on the wall and his son clapping and cheering when Devin Brey fouled out!! Cmon have some class and dont be mad because Kountze and New Waverly shut yall down
[/quote] WOW I have not been on here in over 3 weeks and you are still talking about me and my son. There is no secret that there is no love lost between the two kids. In both games there was trash talking from both of them, so yea he was glad to see him foul out. The fact that that was the game were he shot Deven the finger, and the EC coach felt that he should be supended for the rest of the dist. games. But wonted him to still play the playoffs, I told him if he felt that way I would make him set out the rest of the year. But he is not hiding behind this screen. He stood right out on the side line and let you all know how he felt. If that made you so mad all you had to do is  grow some balls and walk over and say something.  I am also glad to see you all letting me knowing that we are moving. And were we are going, maybe you could tell me were to buy someland at. And maybe were my next job is going to be at, the one I am on now at the beach is ending in about 6 months.
[/quote]Spell check where are you ?