Silsbee Head Coach

Last year, if I am not mistaken, the Lady Tigers beat one team in their district.  I do not remember the Lady Tigers beating Orange Field, even when Ange Green was there.  Coach Sanders took a team of seven young ladies, only two starters from last year, and secured a spot in the playoffs.  He was able to get the absolute best out of this group of girls. :)  Best of luck to these young ladies, and congratulations Coach Sanders. 

Impressive, yes.... but I gotta be a homer and go with Coach Davis from HJ....I don't have all the scores in front of me, but HJ had about 14-15 games this year decided by 4 to 7 points... and won all of them..... 25-5 and 10-0 in district, in a year where the district race was supposed to be anyones guess is pretty impressive.

I agree with Coach Davis as well. HJ lost so much from last year and it seemed they were going to be down this year. She utilized everything she had to the max. HJ's Coach Fogo has to be assistant coach of the year (if there is such a thing). Very knowledgeable and the girls really respond to him. I do appreciate what Coach Sanders from Silsbee accomplished but the real story of the year was HJ's Davis.

I agree. I think she has done a great job. However, I look at it like this. I thought HJ was going to win the district coming into the seasson. I know they lost a lot, but so did OF. Silsbee was not very good last year. I did not think there was a chance that they would make the playoffs. I think Coach Davis is a very good coach and did a very good job, I just believe the turn around in Silsbee was very impressive. Who would have picked Silsbee to be in the playoffs this year at the end of last year...probably no one if they were being honest. Who would have picked HJ to win the district...probably a lot if they were being honest. Great job by both coaches though.

RIZON

Nice post.  Both coaches did a nice job.  Coach Davis having to follow a legend and keep the tradition that is HJ basketball was a tough chore.  And coaching a young squad was equally difficult.  She did a tremendous job.

Coach Sanders coming in a rebuilding from the ground up is also tough.  Getting the players to buy into YOUR system and your style and personality is a tough job.  I was impressed when we played them.  I knew they would eventually be fine.

Lets not forget about the job Coach Jost did at Orangefield.  He . too, lost some key players off of last years team and is coaching a VERY young group.  I got to see them play a few weeks back and was very impressed.

There are some very good coaches in the Golden Triangle.  And some of the best coaching jobs done this year are from teams that did not make the playoffs. 

Great post hoops2000, I have to agree with you on several points you made. Hats off to Coach Davis and her team. She has to be the Coach of the Year in my book. Like you said she had some huge shoes to fill and she did so nicely.

Give the Silsbee coach some credit too. I went and watched them the first game of the season and I really thought it was going to be a long year for the Tigers. But they just got better every week, very impressed with what he accomplished this year at Silsbee.

As far as Orangefield goes...you hear a lot of grumblings about this team and Coach Jost. I personally think we had a good year. Remember people we lost 3 first team all district picks off last years district championship team. We lost almost 35 points a game, when we lost those three. At times this year on varsity we played 4 freshmen and only have one senior on this team. Remember we're talking about 15 and 16 year old kids here. If you would have told me that at the beginning of the year we would have won over 20 games I would have taken it in a heartbeat. I thought we would make the playoffs, I really did, but to come with in 6 points of winning another district championship surprised me. Coach Jost has won 2 district championships in the three years he's been at Orangefield...and finished 2nd this year. Not to shabby if you ask me!!!!

The Silsbee coach did do a great job this year, they just kept getting better all year as you said earlier. As far as OF it was less than 6 points wasnt it in the first game. Did OF/HJ split games last year. Could have been that way again easily. Anyway it was a great year for all three clubs, I was Glad to see Ms. Davis do such a great job in filling the retired Lamar Legend. ;D

• 2 weeks later...
Oh...I am VERY sure that Coach Sanders is glad to be out of Caldwell.  But more importantly....I know how excited he is to be at a place where he has athletes who want to get better.  Kids who have a passion for basketball and take it seriously.  Plus...I'm sure he is thrilled to be at a place that has a strong administration.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kabamok245
    Newest Member
    kabamok245