*HF @ OF Updates*

Bobcat1

True Blue you are right and I for one have asked the questions face to face and the reply was "we understand your concerns."

I also found out that administrators contracts renew(or not) in February and teachers/coaches renew(or not) in March.  Believe me I will be keeping an eye on all of these activities from school board elections to contract renewals.

Speechless--if you look back at HF's middle school record for the past several years (at least 5 that I know of) these teams have always "enjoyed success" from football to basketball to track winning district in several sports over the years and these are the same kids that play multiple sports as they do once they reach high school.  I said once and I'll say again that I understand that kids progress/digress in some sports faster/better than others during the transition from Middle School to High School but just as they do at other schools so do our kids so I don't think that lack of talent is the reason for HFs records.

You can't spell basketball with a foot, I hear programs everyday complain that they don't have their kids to work with even during the season becasue they are doing offseason football so its not just HF.  You can have a team that noone plays football but until you are varsity you are still going to do football workouts.  Guess where thats decided at???  Show me a basketball coach who does not want the time in athletics to work with their sport, especially during the season.  That decision is dicated by one person the AD.  Guess what the AD coaches, football.  So, what do you think the answer will be. Football prep is the most important event, even if your kids do not play football.  Then of course you have weight maxing on basketball game days for your sub varsity guys.  Do you think that they max out of football game day?  Of course not.  It will not change as long as there are not seperate AD/Football coaches no mater how much of a stink parents raise.  Welcome to football land!

[quote name="Wildcatter" post="755329" timestamp="1265332142"]
You can't spell basketball with a foot, I hear programs everyday complain that they don't have their kids to work with even during the season becasue they are doing offseason football so its not just HF.  You can have a team that noone plays football but until you are varsity you are still going to do football workouts.  Guess where thats decided at???  Show me a basketball coach who does not want the time in athletics to work with their sport, especially during the season.  That decision is dicated by one person the AD.  Guess what the AD coaches, football.  So, what do you think the answer will be. Football prep is the most important event, even if your kids do not play football.  Then of course you have weight maxing on basketball game days for your sub varsity guys.  Do you think that they max out of football game day?  Of course not.  It will not change as long as there are not seperate AD/Football coaches no mater how much of a stink parents raise.  Welcome to football land!
[/quote]But is that truly the problem?

This year, HJ's basketball team starts three footballers - Jacoby Turner, Garrett Gustafson, and Blake Venable.  Trey Burrell was also a football player from last year's team.  Silsbee's top scorer, Pheal Hill, was a football player as well.  I think they may have one or two other starters who played football.

Are they the exception, or the norm?

How many underclassmen does HF have playing up? I'm not familiar enough to know how many kids at HF that won in JH (from what has been said) are still playing basketball, but a lot of kids concentrate on particular sports by the time they are Sophomores or Juniors. Also, I don't think HF sports outside of football and basketball seem to be struggling. Haven't the boys in CC made regionals the past two years (I think they did this year but I can't remember), they send numerous kids to regionals in track every year, and their baseball program seems to be moving up. Just my thoughts.

Guest speechless
Faninthestands,
wildcatter is right on this.  it has nothing to do with kids playing football and basketball.  it has everything to do with athletic periods that are designed to enhance football performance even during basketball season.  kids that play both at hf will do football offseason workouts even dueing basketball season.

[quote name="speechless" post="755491" timestamp="1265382771"]
Faninthestands,
wildcatter is right on this.  it has nothing to do with kids playing football and basketball.  it has everything to do with athletic periods that are designed to enhance football performance even during basketball season.  kids that play both at hf will do football offseason workouts even during basketball season.
[/quote]So, the football coach gets the basketball players even in the middle of their season?!?  I could see Sutherland allowing Martel to take Gus to go run pass routes?  I guess that would tell you how (un)important the basketball program is at some schools.

So right FanInTheStands,  I highly doubt that Sutherland is allowing that to happen.

Rizon you asked "how many underclassmen does HF have playing up?" here's the roster from their website and I see 9 underclassmen...as Faninthestands stated it has everything to do with athletic periods...I don't think it has EVERYTHING to do with it but it definitely has SOMETHING to do with it.

Longhorn Varsity

Position Height Classification Number Player
Guard 5'10             Senior         #1    Ryan Latino
Guard 5'8             Junior         #3         Adam Chapman
Guard 5'10             Junior         #10  Austin Graham
Guard 5'6             Junior         #12  Joey Nguyen
Guard 6'0             Freshman      #13         Dante Smith
Forward 5'11             Senior         #15         Lance Browning
Forward 6'2             Junior          #21         Kyle Brooks
Forward 6'2             Senior          #23         Lorenzo Phillips
Forward 6'4             Junior         #30    Phillip Williams
Forward 5'10             Junior         #33  Myles Johnson