BH Hires Two-time State Champ Coach - Ronnie Gage

HillGuy

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="bh89-2" post="761049" timestamp="1266412655"]
YES, we finally have a bi-week at the end of the season.  Sure will be nice to have that week off should we be a little banged up after being shot at in Baytown 2 times.   ;D ;D
[/quote]

We don't need no stinkin' weapons!  ;)

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="bballer" post="760587" timestamp="1266351015"]
[quote author=BHFAN link=topic=64943.msg760537#msg760537 date=1266344834]
Where in the heck has Trublue and bballer been for the last 10 years??? I wouldn't have had to piss off so many people with them around  ;D ;D
[/quote]

First off, let me say that I'm not trying to piss anyone off. I've been around for many more than 10 years. I've just been sitting back reading and listening to all the comments until I got my fill of the bashing of the BH parents and fans. This is a very special place to me and the people here are something to be very proud of as a group. As I said before there are some knuckleheads but you get that everywhere. The change was long overdue and the attitudes of the supporters of the old staff just makes that even more evident to me. [b]Some people [/b] hate to see the change because they feel like they're losing their grip on something that they had total control over in some way. [b]Some people [/b], could be some of the old staff, select parents, a school board member, bhisd employees, or some of all of those listed. BH is a special place and it should be treated as such! In Coach Gage, I think we have a man that will get us going in that direction! ;D
[/quote]

Well I've been hear on the board defending BH's fine name for along time. It's nice to see some folks that see what I and others have seen over the past several years! I was beginning to think that BH89 and some others were the only ones thinking that our current situation was as bad as it is. Whether you try to piss off folks or not we have been slammed in the dirt for any comments made on this site against the great dictator  ;D ;D  anywho welcome aboard its going to be a great season for BH!!

It is clear to me that those in the community and the remaining coaches who were loyal to Price are sure taking a few steps backward and realizing we went out and got a Quality, A++++ coach in Ronnie Gage.  I have read through some of the previous threads and find it rather humorous that so many folks were whining and saying how stupid the school board & Poole was for getting rid of Price because he was such a great coach.  Well......if Price was so great, why doesn't he have a job?

I think some folks might be choking on some crow!!!!

Coach starts off-season activities with new team
By Nathan Hague
The Baytown Sun
Published February 18, 2010
Editor’s note: The start of the 2010 high school football season is only six months away. This is the first of a series on how area schools conduct their winter and spring off-season programs to prepare for the Friday night lights.

MONT BELVIEU — Even though football season isn’t going on right now, one could argue the off-season is really just the beginning of football season.

It’s a new beginning for Barbers Hill coach Ronny Gage who has been with the program for less than a month and is ready to go.

“If you ask almost any coach,” Gage said, “he’ll tell you his favorite time of the year is the off-season. That’s when you’ll learn who will work and who won’t and who’s willing to go the extra mile.”

In his short time here, Gage likes what he has learned so far and is excited in getting to know his players.

“In the next week or two, I’ll sit down with them individually to get to know them,” he said.[b] “I’m impressed with their work ethic and attitudes, and that’s a tribute to the people that have been here. It’s really encouraging.[/b] [b]The foundation of what we want from our kids is in place.”[/b]
Gage said the process is going “fast and furious,” and knows there’s a lot of work to do.

“I don’t jump into skill early,” he said. “Right now, we’re working on strength and development as we continue to improve athletic ability. This is a way of instilling work habits that, during football season, will transform to playing four quarters of football on Friday nights.”

Time is a major factor for Gage and his staff, as they only get one hour of athletic period per day to try and develop their players.

“We’ll continue doing this (strength and development) for probably the next four or five weeks,” he said. “Then we’ll look into skills and work with quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, defensive backs and each position individually.

“We’ll start teaching the offense philosophy and as we progress to the end of spring and focus more on the team aspect. It goes from strength and development to skill work to team-oriented stuff.”

Some high school football coaches have a “hell week” where they work more intensely but Gage doesn’t take that approach.

“It’s just different philosophies,” he said. “We’re going to be intense all the time. We’re going to work intense but we’re going to have fun. You’re emphasizing what you do (during hell week) and saying it’s more important than what we do every other day.

“We’re all trying to accomplish the same thing but how you get to that point is up to the coaches. It’s about consistency of the program.”

When it comes to developing his players, Gage has a secret tool: jump ropes.

“It’s something simple I learned several years ago,” he said. “Just the simple jump ropes, two dollar ones, and have the kids work with them. It’s been the best tool for me in watching the development happen.

[b]“Some of those kids can’t walk and chew gum at once but a couple months on those things make a world of difference.”[/b]
He also likes to implement what he calls competition days where the players compete against each other in different areas on the field.

“It’s just a fun thing, where they’re competing and working as well,” Gage said. “Competition day also gives us the opportunity to see if one kid might lay it down on the line quicker than another kid or if someone might be a better fit somewhere else.

“We try to do anything that might relate to Friday nights. Kids take a lot of pride in work. You’re building that and chemistry and pride.”

Gage plans on working with his kids in the summer but also wants to give them time off.

“I believe kids need a chance to be kids,” he said. “I want them to go hunting, fishing and all those things. We provide the opportunity for them to go through strength and conditioning, but we’re trying to maintain what we just spent all spring to get.”

Until that point, Gage is taking one step at a time and right now, he’s still getting to know his players and his school, where he plans on building upon tradition.

“It’s a busy time,” he said, “but it’s a fun time.”

In one sentence he praises the old regime by stating “I’m impressed with their work ethic and attitudes, and that’s a tribute to the people that have been here. It’s really encouraging. The foundation of what we want from our kids is in place.”

Then in another statement he says “Some of those kids can’t walk and chew gum at once but a couple months on those things make a world of difference.”

To me, the latter quote is not a positive one.  Wont the athletes at BH read this?  How will they feel about their new HC when they see this? 

If that statement hurts their feelings for God sake do not send them to Dayton, where Caoch Stewart is not going to sugar coat anything.  The kids in Dayton grow up expecting to hear the truth, whether it be good or bad.  They learn how to deal with the bad and get better and work harder to get the good.  A whole lot like real life!!!

[quote name="Stranger" post="761754" timestamp="1266502332"]
In one sentence he praises the old regime by stating “I’m impressed with their work ethic and attitudes, and that’s a tribute to the people that have been here. It’s really encouraging. The foundation of what we want from our kids is in place.”

Then in another statement he says “Some of those kids can’t walk and chew gum at once but a couple months on those things make a world of difference.”

To me, the latter quote is not a positive one.  Wont the athletes at BH read this?  How will they feel about their new HC when they see this? 
[/quote]

Gotta'be kidn'me!?  Then I guess you better get your kid a jump rope....

[/quote]

Stranger I think you may be reading into those Quotes to much. The Quote about the Jump ropes I believe he is refering to kids he has coached in the past not the current BH players

The fondation that he is speaking about was no way built completely by this staff of coaches! BH kids have a good fondation because of the Parents and Teachers that work their butts off turning BH kids into BH Kids! Coaches are benifiting from the fondation that was given to them IMO.

[quote name="the_dude_abides" post="761934" timestamp="1266518517"]
purple...I root for dayton also, but I will pay you a dollar for every day that you make a post that doesn't include the phrase "delusions of grandeur" or a reference to a team pulling out the basketball equipment.  Come original.
[/quote]

10-4  ;D ;D

BHFan, what exactly is this "fondation" you speak of?  Sorry, I had to.

7mary3, please research before you post.  I have stated several times that I do not have a kid in the program.  I played there 10 years ago, so that would mean that I am too young to have a kid in the HS program. 

My point is that if Coach Price would have said something similar to this that people would be bashing him on here because he is negative.

[quote name="Stranger" post="761979" timestamp="1266520665"]
BHFan, what exactly is this "fondation" you speak of?  Sorry, I had to.

7mary3, please research before you post.  I have stated several times that I do not have a kid in the program.  I played there 10 years ago, so that would mean that I am too young to have a kid in the HS program. 

My point is that if Coach Price would have said something similar to this that people would be bashing him on here because he is negative.
[/quote]

Don't get your G-String in a wad....what is research?

[b]To me, the latter quote is not a positive one.  Wont the athletes at BH read this?  How will they feel about their new HC when they see this?  [/b] [/quote]

Stranger, surely your not that stupid? ??? Do you really think a coach or person with his background, record, and reputation would make a negative comment about kids that he hardly even knows? I don't believe the man would be who he is today if he made a habit of doing what your trying to accuse him of doing. Get real and give the man some credit. Your obviously one of the few knuckleheads in this town (maybe I should have said boneheads) that I mentioned in my earlier post. Don't take things out of context to try to make things appear the way you want them to be. This was obviously a generic statement in regards to the advantages jumping rope will make in the coordination of your athletes. Nothing more, nothing less! I respect the fact that you were in love with or had a man crush on Coach Price, but get over it, he's gone and he's not coming back! You bashing the new guy that you know nothing about isn't going to change that. As a matter of fact, do a little research on Coach Gage and see what you can find out about him before you give up on the man. I have, several times over, and I still haven't heard or read anything I didn't like.

Stranger, please do us all a favor and leave this thread.  I cannot imagine a BH graduate being so dense to think Coach Gage is talking about the athletes at Barbers Hill when referring to the jump ropes.  He hasn't even been here a couple of months to know how they are going to do (or improve) through spring drills.  Because he has CLASS he hasn't come in and bad-mouthed the old program.....just the opposite.  He has no axe to grind and you Price lovers can't stand that he is already making positive contributions to the program.  

I hope the athletes do read the article.  They will see that their new coach has a great personality, a sense of humor, a desire to build teamwork among them, and a genuine commitment to them and this program.  Why don't you spend you time helping Coach Price get a job and talking him up to someone who wants to listen.

[quote name="Stranger" post="762525" timestamp="1266583865"]
Wow, talk about people getting their panties in a wad.  Dont worry, Im going to hang around long enough for you people to eat some crow on this one.  [b]The only reason Gage is at BH is for the cash.[/b] 
[/quote]

I've tried to refrain from commenting on this.........but your comment is not only asinine but also inappropriate.

[quote name="EAGLE07" post="762578" timestamp="1266591472"]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=64943.msg762525#msg762525 date=1266583865]
Wow, talk about people getting their panties in a wad.  Dont worry, Im going to hang around long enough for you people to eat some crow on this one.  [b]The only reason Gage is at BH is for the cash.[/b] 
[/quote]

I've tried to refrain from commenting on this.........but your comment is not only asinine but also inappropriate.
[/quote]I agree---The people of BH are overwhelmingly excited and supportive about this hire as they should be. Why some folks cannot accept this is beyond me.

[quote name="Stranger" post="762525" timestamp="1266583865"]
Wow, talk about people getting their panties in a wad.  Dont worry, Im going to hang around long enough for you people to eat some crow on this one.  The only reason Gage is at BH is for the cash. 
[/quote]

Gage is here because BH decided to look outside of the Good Ole Boy Network.  Hopefully Gage will not cave into the "knuckleheads in this town" as someone referred to previously.  I hope he gives everyone a fair shot at playing, not just ones who's parents work for BHISD or in the "clique" so to speak. I have seen quite a few BH athletes lose their love for the game due to "politics" on the Hill.  Yes I know it's everywhere, but it's got to stop if BH really wants to compete any further that winning District or past one round of playoffs.  

[quote name="tnt_mom" post="762585" timestamp="1266592284"]
[quote author=Stranger link=topic=64943.msg762525#msg762525 date=1266583865]
Wow, talk about people getting their panties in a wad.  Dont worry, Im going to hang around long enough for you people to eat some crow on this one.  The only reason Gage is at BH is for the cash. 
[/quote]

Gage is here because BH decided to look outside of the Good Ole Boy Network.  Hopefully Gage will not cave into the "knuckleheads in this town" as someone referred to previously.  I hope he gives everyone a fair shot at playing, not just ones who's parents work for BHISD or in the "clique" so to speak. I have seen quite a few BH athletes lose their love for the game due to "politics" on the Hill.  Yes I know it's everywhere, but it's got to stop if BH really wants to compete any further that winning District or past one round of playoffs.  
[/quote]
REALITY TYPED!
Excellent post!
Gage will have good talent coming in,  he needs to play the hardest working and best talented players in the positions to give him the best chance to win.
Playing someone due to his maw or paw is, won't get anyone anywhere real fast!
Good luck to coach Gage!
Hopefully he can overcome the "politics" that exist at B Hill.

tnt-mom, You hit  the nail smack on the head....It was time for a change, Price is gone and people need to move on.....That era is over, and hopefully a new chapter opens where everybody is judged on their talent lelel, and not where their parents are employed.....The house cleaning isn't over yet I'm sure......Welcome Coach Gage, and good luck....From what I've seen and read wish my son could have played for you, sounds like good ole fashioned work ethic and common sense.......Nice also to see that he wants the kids to able to have other interest, hunt, fish, actually be normal teens and boys..   

I feel sorry for the kids who get their spot because of Mommy & Daddy sucking up to the coach.  When they grow up and go out into the real world they will suffer because they don't understand they need to work for what they want.  No one is there to coddle them.

The kids who get looked over because Mom & Dad don't play those games will be better for it in the end I hope.  They will either appreciate what they have and be proud they can do it on their own or just give up, but either way I think they will learn from it.  It all depends on their drive & how bad they want it.

[quote name="FOOTBALLFEVER99" post="762727" timestamp="1266605636"]
tnt-mom, You hit  the nail smack on the head....It was time for a change, Price is gone and people need to move on.....That era is over, and hopefully a new chapter opens where everybody is judged on their talent lelel, and not where their parents are employed.....The house cleaning isn't over yet I'm sure......Welcome Coach Gage, and good luck....From what I've seen and read wish my son could have played for you, sounds like good ole fashioned work ethic and common sense.......Nice also to see that he wants the kids to able to have other interest, hunt, fish, actually be normal teens and boys..   
[/quote]

Can't we all just get along( little Rodney King lingo) I would hope we are past this stuff now. I supported Price...but he's not here anymore...so now I support Gage, and will give him 110% of my support. If he doesn't produce in the next couple of years, then that will be different. We have to give him a chance.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder