Worst Calls

I know coop!! lol. wouldn't that suck?

The coach went and argued with the down ball line ref, but the ref had told the coach it wasn't his responsibilty and the coach didn't call a timeout.

Then later that year, the team that ended up losing had asking california's people that are running the sports,(like the texas UIL) if they could share the title win with the winning team. And if I recall, I think the other team had agreed to it, and the teams even sent film to show the california UIL program thing. They ended up saying no about them not sharing the title.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We'll just have to agree to disagree on the 2000 game, Ned folk. There's no doubt in my mind that, regardless of the call, the W and L would not have changed.

Isn't it time to move on?

Shouldn't we be talking about how we cheated y'all in 2005?

explain how they cheated...i didnt hear about what happend.

In 2000, WO-S was up 14-10 and Nederland was driving in the fourth. They were inside our 20. The QB threw a lateral pass to the WR that tipped off of his fingers and bounced behind him. Although the replays would show that the ball did move forward (a few inches), the referee did not blow the whistle. All of the Nederland players dropped their guard. Noticing that the whistle had not blown, WO-S LB Paul Thomas picked up the ball and started running. As he was picking it up, the crowd was blinded by the light bulbs that suddenly went off above 11 Nederland players' heads. Thomas scored and WO-S won 21-10.

I will concede that the ball moved forward, though in real time it was sort of a judgement call, especially considering the "trick play" that Neumann had in the playbook (explained weeks later in a "chalk talk" segment) in which exactly such a situation unfolded (lateral pass, just barely backward, that bounces incomplete, and is casually picked up by the WR - who hurls it downfield to an open man). In the "Chalk Talk" episode, Neumann actually said that it was a great play, "but it has also come back to bite us in the butt."

Regardless of the ref's misperception of the ball's trajectory, players should know to not stop playing until the whistle blows. However, it has been a "bring it up once a year" topic for the last six years. The ref blew the call, but not NEARLY as bad as Nederland's defense blew the play. Without sounding too smug, it would NEVER have happened under our DC.

You have a crystal ball?  We were on your 17 yard line, down by 4. How do you know what was going to happen? I am not saying that the result was going to be different, but we won't know because the ref blew the call.

That's easy - I do have a crystal ball. It said you wouldn't have scored anyway. In fact, it said the next play would have been an INT for a TD, and that eight Nederland players and four WO-S players would break their legs during the chaos caused by the return - which would have included Michael Ledet actually doing a Matrix-like front flip over the Nederland QB and center. Then it said that Nederland fans would gripe for up to 10 years on message boards that he was showboating.

Let's be happy it ended the way it did.

What about the phantom sideline infractions against Central while playing PN-G?  We was called for it twice.  Stowers called the ref over and pointed across the field to the Indian sideline.  Coaches were dang near to the hash mark.  ref wouldn't turn around to look...go figure.

And, what about the "no call" when Central played at PNG around 02'.  That particular year PNG's O Line was BIG and BAD.  At the end of a play, as our tight end had just demolished Central's DE (yet again), after the play was whistled dead, the DE, as he was getting up from the ground (again) and while he was still on his knees, rared back and K.O.'d PNG's TE's nads...RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE OFFICIAL!  The entire home side saw it and the bench almost cleared, but ol' Stevie Wonder never did a thing about it.  That player should have been ejected on the spot.

The "lateral pass" was no trick play. It was what most people refer to as a swing or bubble route. The QB released the ball from the 21 yardline and hit the RBs hand at the 19 yardline. Check back to that photo from the Orange Leader and look at how many yards, not inches, the ball was thrown forward. Any talk of that being a "trick play" is false.

The "lateral pass" was no trick play. It was what most people refer to as a swing or bubble route. The QB released the ball from the 21 yardline and hit the RBs hand at the 19 yardline. Check back to that photo from the Orange Leader and look at how many yards, not inches, the ball was thrown forward. Any talk of that being a "trick play" is false.

I was at the ballgame, I agree it was a forward pass, All I can say, that it was 2 very good football teams. Believe we lost to Bay City in quarters and WOS lost in State Finals.

And, what about the "no call" when Central played at PNG around 02'.  That particular year PNG's O Line was BIG and BAD.  At the end of a play, as our tight end had just demolished Central's DE (yet again), after the play was whistled dead, the DE, as he was getting up from the ground (again) and while he was still on his knees, rared back and K.O.'d PNG's TE's nads...RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE OFFICIAL!  The entire home side saw it and the bench almost cleared, but ol' Stevie Wonder never did a thing about it.  That player should have been ejected on the spot.

I remember that game, I think.  Was it at the Rez?  All I remember from that game is that the Indians played us tough that whole night.  Central fans felt like we should have blown yall away,but we won by like 8 I think if I recall.  I dont remember a punch in the Jewels.  Seems like I would have remembered that.

I do remember a call in 92 vs. PN-G for the district championship. WO-S scored the tying TD with barely any time to go and opted to go for 2. Kendall Cleveland took the ball and dove over the goal line, landing on the pile on the other side. When his body hit the guys under him, the ball popped loose. No whistle blew. A WO-S player recovered it, and they signaled "good." The WO-S side went nuts. Then another ref signaled "No good," and the PN-G fans went nuts. The refs talked, and one again signaled "good," starting another wave of cheers from the WO-S side just as another official runs into the discussion. The final decision? No good, because, "when a player fumbles in the end zone, he must recover the ball himself."

See, I always thought that the rule was if you fumble INTO the end zone. But, then again, that's just me relying on the notion that once the ball breaks the plane - even if your feet never touch, the ball never touches, you drop it once it's across, etc. - it's a TD. There is no such thing as "fumbling in the end zone."

But if you wipe that away, I guess it was a fine call.

Ah well. Big whoop.

wos92.....I was also at the game, in PNG student section which is at the goal line......He never made it to the line with the ball......and if I'm not mistaken on last down plays (which this would have been) the player that fumbles the ball has to be the one that recovers the ball, not a teammate.......anyway, has to be a top 3 game between these two teams.......

I can't believe no one has mentioned 'Clockgate' yet.....this has to be the worst call in local sports (although I think the crew was not from here) PNG vs Ozen with 2 seconds left and a TIMEOUT was called..............REF winds his arm to start the clock as the play starts signaling the guy up starts to start the clock..(clock should not have started until it was snapped)......kick goes through but called no good because time has expired before the ball was snapped...........still can't believe it happened..........

WB vs Katy I think will call this one 'Brotherinlawhelpedpickthecrewgate'.....

just one call from the game (of many) : a Katy drive was stalling near the West Brook 15 yard line........Katy fumbles the ball and about 4 crew members are digging threw players to find the ball......out one side pops a West Brook player with the ball showing it up in the air........almost simultaneously one ref gives the signal he sees the ball and points down and in the direction of Katy's ball all happening while a West Brook player is trying to hand him the football??

You are right on about the fumble rule. If you ever notice, on 4th down or PAT's we (ref's) signal each other by rolling our fist over each other. That's a reminder to all that the fumble rule is in effect. What do the clockgate and brotherinlawpickedthecrewgate have in common? Both crews were from Houston Chapter not Bmt.

WB vs Katy I think will call this one 'Brotherinlawhelpedpickthecrewgate'.....

just one call from the game (of many) : a Katy drive was stalling near the West Brook 15 yard line........Katy fumbles the ball and about 4 crew members are digging threw players to find the ball......out one side pops a West Brook player with the ball showing it up in the air........almost simultaneously one ref gives the signal he sees the ball and points down and in the direction of Katy's ball all happening while a West Brook player is trying to hand him the football??

the playoff game in the dome right?  yeah, pitiful.

I can't believe no one has mentioned 'Clockgate' yet.....this has to be the worst call in local sports (although I think the crew was not from here) PNG vs Ozen with 2 seconds left and a TIMEOUT was called..............REF winds his arm to start the clock as the play starts signaling the guy up starts to start the clock..(clock should not have started until it was snapped)......kick goes through but called no good because time has expired before the ball was snapped...........still can't believe it happened..........

Yeah I remember this game.  Right after  PNG's head coach was on the news saying that he knows for a fact none of his players called timeout.  Also all the Indians fans were calling in the radio show to say why would we be so stupid to call a timeout and give them time to kick the game winning field goal.  Well as everyone now knows and the replay showed, Coach Burnet is full of it and the Indian players must be stupid cause their safety runs right up to the REF and signals timeout.

On that same night Ned had just beaten Vidor. Nederland's playoff hopes hinged on a PNG victory against Ozen. Almost 1,000 Ned football players, coaches and fans waited on Bulldog field while listening to the PNG/Ozen game being broadcast over the PA system. I recall the confusion by the game announcers just listening the final seconds of that game.

Guest ECBucFan

About 6 or 7 years ago, OF punted from around midfield against EC. EC player let it go, thinking it would roll into endzone. OF player swatted it, just before it rolled well into endzone. Official trotted into endzone, picked up ball, spotted it on 1 yd. line... In 12 years, I had never seen Andy Evans so boiling mad. BTW, official (I hear) went into EC locker room and apologized to Andy at halftime.  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder