Top Shot

I don't remember ever making a shot to write home about. All of my deer kills have pretty much been broadside or quartering shots at 100 yards or less. I may have made some long shots on ducks back in the day but none specifically come to mind. I do remember making a head shot on a rabbit at about 60 yards or so with a .22 rifle and no scope or rest. Easy shot as the rabbit was in the open but just long for open sights.

[quote name="tvc184" post="712632" timestamp="1258685532"]
I don't remember ever making a shot to write home about. All of my deer kills have pretty much been broadside or quartering shots at 100 yards or less. I may have made some long shots on ducks back in the day but none specifically come to mind. I do remember making a head shot on a rabbit at about 60 yards or so with a .22 rifle and no scope or rest. Easy shot as the rabbit was in the open but just long for open sights.
[/quote]

I have seen a sample of your gun collection.  I was expecting a story about a deer and you using your machine gun to put 20 rounds in him contained to the size of a quarter  ;D

• 1 year later...
[quote name="piratepride86" post="921735" timestamp="1291002060"]
a coyote at 468 yards, a doe at 452 yards and this year an 8 point at 292 yards, all with a .270 and the distances were checked with a rangefinder.
[/quote]

I hit a 185" Boone and Crockett buck from 673 yards verified while hanging from a tree limb by my legs and shooting upside down. I just didn't want to bring it up.

[quote name="piratepride86" post="921735" timestamp="1291002060"]
a coyote at 468 yards, a doe at 452 yards and this year an 8 point at 292 yards, all with a .270 and the distances were checked with a rangefinder.
[/quote]If they were not head shot, I wouldn't even talk about it.Pffffftttt....

I was in the local Academy the other day when a gentleman told me he could routinely hit targets out to 1600yds back in his military days.  My comfort zone is 200yds and my best shot was a lizard broadside off a building at 15 paces with my daisy! :D  Double lung and did not have to track him!

Nothing beats shooting them (deer) with a bow right under you though.

Speaking of has anyone else seen the new Tred Barta on Versus.. Dude kills a 4pt  Texas buck at 28yds. Long Bow..  out of a wheel chair.  Tred's arrogant at times but I love that dude! That was a trophy!

[quote name="rip2506" post="925817" timestamp="1291482218"]
I was in the local Academy the other day when a gentleman told me he could routinely hit targets out to 1600yds back in his military days.  My comfort zone is 200yds and my best shot was a lizard broadside off a building at 15 paces with my daisy! :D  Double lung and did not have to track him!

Nothing beats shooting them (deer) with a bow right under you though.

Speaking of has anyone else seen the new Tred Barta on Versus.. Dude kills a 4pt  Texas buck at 28yds. Long Bow..  out of a wheel chair.  Tred's arrogant at times but I love that dude! That was a trophy!
[/quote]

Tred is the man...just listen to his theme song! 8)

It is amazing the animals he has taken with a longbow...and even after he's disabled and in a wheelchair...he still gets it done...gotta love it! 

He is the man!

I can run with the big dogs but I don't run with all the dogs, my son who was sitting with his brother at age 9 or 10 >accedently< hit a running deer @ 400+yrds in the head so your point is??? Yrs back a guy came into our shop saying his son (12) missed 2 deer at 400yrds and was considering getting him another gun so as to make shots at that distance, my reply to him was he needed to beat his sons a$$ and teach him NOT to take shots like that, he took his work somewhere else and I didn't care, YOU have NO respect for the animals you hunt PERIOD....

Wait a minute... Are you saying that a 400 yard shot is unethical?  If someone is proficient at it and comfortable with it then there is nothing unethical about it at all.  I wouldn't take it because I don't feel comfortable at that range but for others that are more proficient at that range then there is nothing at all wrong about that shot. 

it looked to me like yall were poking fun at me or didnt believe i could make those shots. sorry if i offended anyone on here. i can and do shoot that far , but it takes a lot of practice and patience. as far as respecting the animals, i am an ethical shooter and wont pull the trigger if i am not sure i take the animal cleanly. and i wont even attempt a head shot, because ive seen a few wounded deer lost and i know they died suffering. this will be my last post on here, so happy hunting everyone.

[quote name="piratepride86" post="933339" timestamp="1292385026"]
it looked to me like yall were poking fun at me or didnt believe i could make those shots. sorry if i offended anyone on here. i can and do shoot that far , but it takes a lot of practice and patience. as far as respecting the animals, i am an ethical shooter and wont pull the trigger if i am not sure i take the animal cleanly. and i wont even attempt a head shot, because ive seen a few wounded deer lost and i know they died suffering. this will be my last post on here, so happy hunting everyone.
[/quote]

I'm surely not making fun of you. I do like to make jokes though.

I could care less how far someone shoots if it is within that person's range. If a person can't put a round in a 5 inch circle at 100 yards, he has no business shooting at 400 yards though. I practice shooting my bow out to 40 yards but have never taken more than a 20 yard shot.

Like Clint Eastwood said in Magnum Force..... "A man's got to know his limitations".

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298