What do you think about the use of "Lady", "Rebel" or "Indian" as mascot names?

gdickert

Guest Burkeville Chronicle
IMO The use of the Rebel flag as a mascot is a pure disgrace...if you want to use "rebels" then I am fine with that..just do what Ole Miss does and use a rebel mascot and not the rebel flag which to some slaps of racism, slavery, and defiance. Really not a true identity of what America is these days. I am fine with "southern pride"..Lord, I myself am a Southerner..but when it makes people uncomfortable (God knows more than one.) then it is wrong and should be changed. Would the Evadale Millrights be a cool name or what???? JMHO

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does all this matter?  It is the stupidest thing I can think of to argue over.  We have become accustomed to being so politically correct and so afraid to offend someone that it has made our country weaker than it ever has been in the past. Lawsuits over the stupidest things we can imagine such as "I didn't know the coffee was HOT when I ordered it" have caused such an erosion in society that now our government is wanting to take everything they can from us.  we have to be so politically correct that we can't execute prisoners that have killed our sons, daughters, mothers, and fathers on the battlefield where we caught them redhanded. we have to give them a fair trial and waste our hard earned tax dollars on an outcome that is known by all before it even begins.  we let our government tell us that it is not fair for a handful of people to go without while the rest have plenty.  only because those few have become more powerful than the majority by our own fault.  Why do i need to pay for a person who has no intention on providing for a family or theirselves.  Not because they can't but because they refuse!  Because they would rather sit @ home drawing a check when they could get out and contribute.  why is it ok for an illegal alien to walk across our border, and get free healthcare, when they have skipped so many that have waited for so long to get here LEGALLY.  then, our government let's them walk for what reason?  They broke a law getting here, and a great majority continue breaking the law after arriving?  We have become so obsessed with trying to live the Hollywood lifestyle we have become lost in foolishness.  We have a 1st amendment right.  we have the right to demonstrate as long as it it orderly. Yet we stand by and let a few people chisel away at what is good about our country.  we all have differences, so what!  should i drive through town and hope because my vehicle is one color it does not affect a person from a different race?  People need to grow a tougher skin and let things roll off like water on a duck.  (sorry to all my billed and feathered friends out there)  I feel that the person that points out the faults of someone else is actually trying to hide their own.  But the thing we should all remember, whether we are white, black, brown, pink, purple, or red, is that at the end of the day when we lay our heads down we are AMERICANS!!!  I am of Irish and Cherokee decent and I have never thought about being offended by a school mascot.  Sticks and Stones people

[quote name="texvb" post="709291" timestamp="1258335819"]
[quote author=ShlyKBMT link=topic=62427.msg708942#msg708942 date=1258316699]
To answer the question about Evadale yes they have flown the Rebel flag in front of the school and it's on the school's sign plus painted on the wall in the gym as part of the school seal. TJ's girls bball team had an issue with it years ago.
[/quote]

You being a reporter, I understand how you get things wrong, just as most media do. Whats wrong are your ratings low?
To set the record straight there is no confederate flag flying in front of the school. There is a school crest on the wall of the gym inside and out and it has been the crest of the school for many years.
The only school that ever made any remark about the crest was not TJ it was a school from north of Evadale and it was discussed and everyone was satisfied.
So if your sports show has low ratings dont try to raise them by making Evadale a bad place. Many people have visited the Evadale area to view the best little Homecoming parade in the state and attend the Catfish Festival every year and yes we have all ethnic groups involved. They seem to appreciate the hospitality of all of Evadale.
So study your subjects a little better before you sling your Beaumont arrows our way, try looking in the mirror and correcting your own problems of the big city.
Just for your own education there are African American children in the Evadale school system.
Now go find something worth reporting that your audience of 10 might watch. :-*
[/quote]Not bad...i tend to agree concerning the people from Evadale.  Just good folks doing what they do and being friendly about it.  But stuff like this will continue to come up and make people feel good for being AGAINST something, and for NOTHING.    

[quote name="gdickert" post="709313" timestamp="1258337290"]
Didn't intend for this to be a contentious thread ... I was curious what folks around here thought about these issues. I saw an original post on the volleyball thread and thought it would get a bigger audience on the football thread.
I read an interesting article about the origination of the term "redskin" ... Apparently bounty hunters back in the 1800s were paid good money for all the Indian scalps they could collect and turn in to traders. They would sell skins, furs and pelts of various animals, including the "redskins" of killed American Indian men, women and children. Is it true? Who knows.
In regards to the Rebels mascot, Sour Lake High School used to have a Rebels mascot. When integration took place and it became Hardin-Jefferson High School, the mascot was changed to the Hawks.
[/quote]Not sure what you were wanting...I read the above but.... :-\ :-\   Its like making a small incision but thinking it won't bleed...

And what about the hijackings at sea lately.  Cost companies a lot of money and innocent people have lost their lives, are the people from Vidor, Deweyville, East Chambers and Spurger bad people because these goofballs at sea are considered Pirates?

All I know for CERTAIN is, it's just a matter of time before PETA gets pissed at all you people that are desecrating those poor defenseless animals, and they hold hands with the ASPCA and the ACLU, and get a Federal Mandate passed, that will soon disallow ANY school or organization to use any animal name, or likeness.  There goes the Mustangs, Bulldogs, Jags, Bruins, Bobcats,...you name it. So, you guys poke fun at us Indians and Rebels all you want.....
YOUR TIME IS COMING!  

I'm gonna recommend to PNGISD school board that we call ourselves the "Shiny Paperclips".   That shouldn't offend too many people. :-\
(Or maybe the Christians, since we seem to let everyone walk all over us anyway)

This subject has been going on for years and will continue. I'm sure Evadale is not the only school in the great state of Texas named the Rebels. Check around. Let it be. If this is the only thing you people have to worry about then consider yourself very fortunate. Rebels and Indians are great. If you dont like our mascots then dont look at them.

Guest Burkeville Chronicle
That may be true..but for many folks it is a symbol of a very dark time in our history..I wonder if there was a team called "The Nazis" and they waved a swastika how would people feel. That may be a far-fetched example but the rebel flag represents something similar to a great many people. Like I said..I have no problem with the rebel mascot....just the flag. There are other ways to show pride than by waving it..especially since it is offensive to some people. JMO

here is a list of nicknames for texas schools just in 1A Div.1

If you want to get technical and over sensitive go to a Thesaurus and look some of them up, you might find REBEL  isnt as bad as you thought. It might be a lot of self perception..........
Those in bold could be on the next overly sensitive list.

Bulldogs(16)
Eagles(15)
Wildcats(10)
Tigers(10)
Mustangs(9)
[b]Pirates(9)[/b]
Hornets(8)
Bobcats(7)
[b]Indians(7)[/b]
[b]Panthers(6)[/b]
Longhorns(4)
Lions(4)
YellowJackets(4)
Buffaloes(3)
Badgers(3)
[b]Trojans(3)[/b]
Bearcats(3)
Cardinals(3)
Elks(2)
[b]Comanches(2)[/b]
Jackrabbits(2)
Owls(2)
Cowboys(2)
Bears(2)
Cougars(2)
Rebels(2)
Academy(2)
Greyhounds
Roughriders
[b]Fighting Irish[/b]
[b]Bucks[/b]
Skyrockets
Broncos
Cyclones
[b]Chiefs[/b]
Steers
Wolverines
[b]Roughnecks[/b]
Antelopes
[b]Braves[/b]
Shorthorns
[b]Moguls[/b]
Pied Pipers
Yellow Hammers
Knights
[b]Plowboys[/b]
Blizzards
Rattlers
[b]Monarchs[/b]
Punchers
Gators
[b]Wampus Cats[/b]
[b]Gladiators[/b]
Blue Devils
Wolves
Hawks
Jaguars
Flyers
Rams
Sandies
Oilers
Sharks
Bluejays
Yeguas
Angoras
Beavers
Marlins
Pride

But wouldnt anyone understand that the Little town of Italy, Texas might think Gladiators was a good nickname for their football team. But how many know gladiators were slaves and made to fight for entertainment.
I hope my Italian ancestors arent offended. Come on folks lighten up. Move on. The kids dont care about the name or mascot they just know they have pride in their school and whats wrong with that.
Im thru with this topic. You the media can pursue it if you like but there is a name for people like you. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

[quote name="PNG Proud" post="709398" timestamp="1258340669"]
All I know for CERTAIN is, it's just a matter of time before PETA gets pissed at all you people that are desecrating those poor defenseless animals, and they hold hands with the ASPCA and the ACLU, and get a Federal Mandate passed, that will soon disallow ANY school or organization to use any animal name, or likeness.  There goes the Mustangs, Bulldogs, Jags, Bruins, Bobcats,...you name it. So, you guys poke fun at us Indians and Rebels all you want.....
YOUR TIME IS COMING!  

I'm gonna recommend to PNGISD school board that we call ourselves the "[b]Shiny Paperclips[/b]".   That shouldn't offend too many people. :-\
(Or maybe the Christians, since we seem to let everyone walk all over us anyway)
[/quote]

I OBJECT!!!

As a chartered member of the Shiny Paperclips, I find your comment extremely biased toward my people!!!    ;D

My attorney will be contacting you. :P

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="YankeeDawg" post="709924" timestamp="1258401367"]
[quote author=PNG Proud link=topic=62427.msg709398#msg709398 date=1258340669]
YOUR TIME IS COMING!  

I'm gonna recommend to PNGISD school board that we call ourselves the "[b]Shiny Paperclips[/b]".   That shouldn't offend too many people. :-\
[/quote]

I OBJECT!!!

As a chartered member of the Shiny Paperclips, I find your comment extremely biased toward my people!!!    ;D

[/quote]

The term "shiny paperclips" is very offensive to those members of society that are "colorful plastic covered paperclips".
No justice, no peace.

[quote name="texvb" post="709778" timestamp="1258393396"]
here is a list of nicknames for texas schools just in 1A Div.1

If you want to get technical and over sensitive go to a Thesaurus and look some of them up, you might find REBEL  isnt as bad as you thought. It might be a lot of self perception..........
Those in bold could be on the next overly sensitive list.

Bulldogs(16)
Eagles(15)
Wildcats(10)
Tigers(10)
Mustangs(9)
[b]Pirates(9)[/b]
Hornets(8)
Bobcats(7)
[b]Indians(7)[/b]
[b]Panthers(6)[/b]
Longhorns(4)
Lions(4)
YellowJackets(4)
Buffaloes(3)
Badgers(3)
[b]Trojans(3)[/b]
Bearcats(3)
Cardinals(3)
Elks(2)
[b]Comanches(2)[/b]
Jackrabbits(2)
Owls(2)
Cowboys(2)
Bears(2)
Cougars(2)
Rebels(2)
Academy(2)
Greyhounds
Roughriders
[b]Fighting Irish[/b]
[b]Bucks[/b]
Skyrockets
Broncos
Cyclones
[b]Chiefs[/b]
Steers
Wolverines
[b]Roughnecks[/b]
Antelopes
[b]Braves[/b]
Shorthorns
[b]Moguls[/b]
Pied Pipers
Yellow Hammers
Knights
[b]Plowboys[/b]
Blizzards
Rattlers
[b]Monarchs[/b]
Punchers
Gators
[b]Wampus Cats[/b]
[b]Gladiators[/b]
Blue Devils
Wolves
Hawks
Jaguars
Flyers
Rams
Sandies
Oilers
Sharks
Bluejays
Yeguas
Angoras
Beavers
Marlins
Pride

But wouldnt anyone understand that the Little town of Italy, Texas might think Gladiators was a good nickname for their football team. But how many know gladiators were slaves and made to fight for entertainment.
I hope my Italian ancestors arent offended. Come on folks lighten up. Move on. The kids dont care about the name or mascot they just know they have pride in their school and whats wrong with that.
Im thru with this topic. You the media can pursue it if you like but there is a name for people like you. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
[/quote]

haha, this is perfect, let me see how I can jump on the bandwagon - FINALLY

* I have a bulldog, the family loves him dearly (and I'm from PN-G) - so therefore I don't like how he's being represented - lawsuit
* I was stung by a yellowjacket once - conjures up bad memories - lawsuit.
* I have ancestors that were in the confederacy - therefore the term "Rebel" offends me - lawsuit
* Both of my grandfathers were cowboys/ranchers - lawsuit
* I am half "fighting" Irish - this is the worst - we don't fight - lawsuit
* Cyclones - I have personally seen one take out my grandparents silo - bad memories - lawsuit
* Knights - I'm a member of the Knights of Columbus at church, we do great things - I don't know what to think now - lawsuit
* Yellow hammers - I have a red one - this may be ok then - no lawsuit
* Plowboys - See cowboys and grandparents - lawsuit
* Blue devils - this celebrates satan - big lawsuit
* Flyers - I have to fly for work - alot - don't single me out - lawsuit
* Oilers - my dad worked for Exxon Mobil - what's that supposed to say?? - lawsuit

I never realized just how many options I have, this is awesome!

[quote name="YankeeDawg" post="709924" timestamp="1258401367"]
[quote author=PNG Proud link=topic=62427.msg709398#msg709398 date=1258340669]
YOUR TIME IS COMING!  

[/quote]

I OBJECT!!!

[/quote]

darn it!  I knew there just HAD to be at least 1 yay-hoo out there that already had my name picked out.
I'm really going to think about it.
I really do love animals though...................usually grilled. ;D

Okay, today I heard of a mascot that could easily be considered insensitive.  A kid checked into our school from Freeburg, Illinois, home of the Mighty Midgets.  So, I ask him why the Midgets, and he said that quite a long time ago, the Freeburg HS basketball team went to the State playoffs, and the press called them the fighting midgets because all the BB players were less than 5'4" tall.  The students liked the name so much, they adopted it as the mascot, and they probably changed "fighting" to "mighty" for alliterative effect.  Mighty Midgets--wonder if there's a thread up in IL criticizing that community.

I've never understood the trend by the powers that be to ban mascot names...like it's a bad thing.
You can't call your team the Indians or whatever else cause it's not politically correct, someone might object... What  ??? ???
We think the (insert name) suck..so we shall name our high school mascot in honor of them  ??? ???

Sign of the times...explains many problems facing our great nation today.
That's for another forum.....9-11 and Ft. Hood would not happen in any other country.
Back to topic....GO PNG [b]INDIANS[/b] ! Can't wait for softball season to see the BH [b]Lady[/b] Eagles !...and the Ole Miss [b]Rebels [/b] ain't that good.  ;)

Seriously that someone would post this just tells you what America has come too. The people that find a lot of this stuff offensive, are offended or insecure on the inside so they say that is offensive. Call me unsensitive or whatever but why is it that if it is the white man uses a racial term it is racist and a big deal is made but if it is another race using a white racial slur its ok. No racism is ok. With that aa few of the mascots metioned are pictured by people as racist and makes me laugh.

Rebel- even if it was slavery they fought over, these people stood up for what they believed in, I soon hope for our people to become rebels again bc our government is getting out of control. The flag was not made to be a sign of white supremacy but adopted. Check it out and u will find the truth. I wonder if I move to Egypt and say hey you guys enslaved my ancestors I want some reperations what they would say?

Indian- Did the European explorers not coin the word Indian? How can you take offense to something that does not have meaning to you? I guarantee alot of teams with specific Indian names paid the tribes a good sum of money or give them something.

If you don't like them don't move there. If you still have a problem sue ur underwear for being in a wad. Political correctness has moved into loss of rights by the class of people and sex that is not the majority. If you think it is ne different we can debate bc I know law really well. Until America as a nation can get past skin color, ethnicity, gender and anything else you wanna hold against someone, we will never grow. We have got rid of slavery, passes women's right and civil rights but it seems like we are still in 1700's I am glad you all like freedom of speech bc what your saying is it is cool for us to bash teams for their mascot, bc their freedom of speech(mascot) is not ok with you. One question, if what is true for you is true for you and what is true for me is true for me, what if my truth says that your's is a lie, then is it really true. Our world has based it beliefs on what theythink. Only one truth for me God and he has the answers. We r the source of evil, our insecurities are the reason for us to take offense. We have too many rights to sit around and pick people apart.  I wish we as a society would do ourselves as we do others. Our lives would become better bc we would fix ourselves instead of fixing everyone else and miss ourselves.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder