3 Sundevils

9Doggies

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="GCMPats" post="712483" timestamp="1258677128"]
[quote author=XDOG link=topic=62249.msg712376#msg712376 date=1258666810]
Surely that's not the only Sundevil kids who got scholarships right. Is that the only seniors they have on the team.
[/quote]

I believe that [b]every member [/b] of the 18U Sundevil roster from this summer have signed or are expected to sign with a college or university. There are several who will also have to consider their options following th MLB Draft.

It is an impressive list. If I am able, I will compile that list later.
[/quote]

Name

Baranik, Carson P 1B/3B Louisana State University
Bellow, Kirby 1B P   The University of Texas-Austin
Blackmar, Mark OF P  Temple JC, Tx
Cecchini, Garin MIF 3B  Louisana State University
Child, Dan P  Oregon State University
Comford, Ryan MIF  San Jacinto JC, Tx
Davis, Trae P OF  Baylor
Eades, Ryan P MIF  Louisana State University
Felts, Jacob C Util  The University of Texas-Austin
Harvill, Jeff P  University of Arkansas
Henderson, Will OF 3B  (academic scholarship)
Hester, Trae' P 1B/OF  Lamar University
Kellogg, Caleb P OF  The University of Louisana-Lafayette
McCurry, Brendan P Util  (unknown)
Morgan, Aaron OF 3B/Util  Louisana State University- Eunice
Pitts, Dillon P 1B  Galveston JC, Tx
Robertson, Joseph 2B C/MIF  Cisco JC, Tx
Rosado, Hommy 1B OF  Louisana State University- Eunice
Sawyer, Nick P MIF  Howard JC, Tx
Statum, Jace OF P Texas A&M University
Waddell, Shane P 1B/OF  Angelina JC, Tx
Walker, Taijuan P SS (unknown)

That is the Class of 2010 SE Texas Sundevils. Congrats!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="GCMPats" post="749869" timestamp="1264537759"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=62249.msg712483#msg712483 date=1258677128]
[quote author=XDOG link=topic=62249.msg712376#msg712376 date=1258666810]
Surely that's not the only Sundevil kids who got scholarships right. Is that the only seniors they have on the team.
[/quote]

I believe that [b]every member [/b] of the 18U Sundevil roster from this summer have signed or are expected to sign with a college or university. There are several who will also have to consider their options following th MLB Draft.

It is an impressive list. If I am able, I will compile that list later.
[/quote]

Name

Baranik, Carson P 1B/3B Louisana State University
Bellow, Kirby 1B P   The University of Texas-Austin
Blackmar, Mark OF P  Temple JC, Tx
Cecchini, Garin MIF 3B  Louisana State University
Child, Dan P  Oregon State University
Comford, Ryan MIF  (unknown)
Davis, Trae P OF  Baylor
Eades, Ryan P MIF  (unknown)
Felts, Jacob C Util  The University of Texas-Austin
Harvill, Jeff P  University of Arkansas
Henderson, Will OF 3B  (academic scholarship)
Hester, Trae' P 1B/OF  Lamar University
Kellogg, Caleb P OF  The University of Louisana-Lafayette
McCurry, Brendan P Util  (unknown)
Morgan, Aaron OF 3B/Util  Louisana State University- Eunice
Pitts, Dillon P 1B  (unknown)
Robertson, Joseph 2B C/MIF  Cisco JC, Tx
Rosado, Hommy 1B OF  (unknown)
Sawyer, Nick P MIF  Howard JC, Tx
Statum, Jace OF P Texas A&M University
Waddell, Shane P 1B/OF  Angelina JC, Tx
Walker, Taijuan P SS (unknown)

That is the Class of 2010 SE Texas Sundevils. Congrats!
[/quote]

Tyler Erickson LHP - McNeese State University
Dillon Pitts RHP - Galveston JC

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="643" post="750285" timestamp="1264603685"]
Well thank GOD for the Sundevils, if not for them what would these boys do, probably be sackers at Market Basket or door greeters at Wal-Mart....
[/quote]

I do thank God every day for the Sundevils and Mr. Ferguson! His organization has provided my son with opportunities that my wife and I could have never afforded him.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="750298" timestamp="1264604181"]
[quote author=643 link=topic=62249.msg750285#msg750285 date=1264603685]
Well thank GOD for the Sundevils, if not for them what would these boys do, probably be sackers at Market Basket or door greeters at Wal-Mart....
[/quote]

I do thank God every day for the Sundevils and Mr. Ferguson! His organization has provided my son with opportunities that my wife and I could have never afforded him.
[/quote]

Very well said. Ferguson's group does a great job.

[quote name="GCMPats" post="750298" timestamp="1264604181"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

So are you implying that without the sundevils, your son would not have a scholarship?

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="rounder17" post="750345" timestamp="1264608272"]
[quote author=GCMPats link=topic=62249.msg750298#msg750298 date=1264604181]
[/quote]

[/quote]

So are you implying that without the sundevils, your son would not have a scholarship?
[/quote]

He does not have a scholarship yet. He is a 2011 grad. But I would have to answer that his exposure to schools has been multiplied 10 fold by his experiences through the Sundevils. That my friend is a FACT!

They have NEVER guaranteed him anything, only that they will provide the opportunity, what you do with it is up to you!

What gets my goat is that I hear "if it were not for the sundevils bla bla bla" or "thanks to the sundevils" There are other teams that CAN but DONT boast of close to 100% going to the next level, on much less of a stage, and has been for more than 15yrs.

[quote name="643" post="750414" timestamp="1264614606"]
What gets my goat is that I hear "if it were not for the sundevils bla bla bla" or "thanks to the sundevils" There are other teams that CAN but DONT boast of close to 100% going to the next level, on much less of a stage, and has been for more than 15yrs.
[/quote]

It wasn't the SunDevils  doing the "boasting". It was a parent of a SunDevil doing the "boasting" for them. You are correct, there are some other organizations that do a great job also. My son was w/ the Houston Heat for three years. So here goes.........If it wasn't for the Houston Heat, I doubt very seriously my son would have a scholarship....ceratinly not like the one he has.
Maybe some parents of these organizations ought to start giving them some props.
Not trying to start anything, 643, you and I usually are on the same page.  ;)

The sundevils are absolutely a great organization.  I am not trying to say they aren't.  The fact of the matter is, if a kid is GOOD ENOUGH they will get a scholarship, with or without the sundevils. It just seems to me, that all you hear is the SUNDEVILS got my boy or this boy a scholarship, when in fact it is the kids talent that got them the scholarship.  Oh and by the way, yes most of the sundevil players sign somewhere.  They usually get the best talent around, because everything is FREE. Which usually translates to a high percentage of their players signing somewhere. 

[quote name="rounder17" post="750439" timestamp="1264616948"]
The sundevils are absolutely a great organization.  I am not trying to say they aren't.  The fact of the matter is, if a kid is GOOD ENOUGH they will get a scholarship, with or without the sundevils. It just seems to me, that all you hear is the SUNDEVILS got my boy or this boy a scholarship, when in fact it is the kids talent that got them the scholarship.  Oh and by the way, yes most of the sundevil players sign somewhere.  They usually get the best talent around, because everything is FREE. Which usually translates to a high percentage of their players signing somewhere. 
[/quote]

The cream of the crop will always get noticed. IMO, it's the next tier of talent or late bloomers that the good select teams really help out.

[quote name="643" post="750414" timestamp="1264614606"]
[/quote]

Bitter much?  An old saying comes to mind, "To each his own."

[quote name="rounder17" post="750439" timestamp="1264616948"]
The sundevils are absolutely a great organization.  I am not trying to say they aren't.  The fact of the matter is, if a kid is GOOD ENOUGH they will get a scholarship, with or without the sundevils. It just seems to me, that all you hear is the SUNDEVILS got my boy or this boy a scholarship, when in fact it is the kids talent that got them the scholarship.  Oh and by the way, yes most of the sundevil players sign somewhere.  They usually get the best talent around, because everything is FREE. Which usually translates to a high percentage of their players signing somewhere.  
[/quote]

I re-read your post and for the most part agree w/ you. However, I think people need to understand it's the exposure you get playing w/ these teams that gets you a scholarship....yes you already have the talent. I do think the better select teams can increase your talent.  There are alot of talented players who don't get a scholarship each year. Unless you are at the very top tier of talent and are only playing high school ball these days, very good chance you may get overlooked.
Just my 2 cents.

[quote name="EAGLE07" post="750570" timestamp="1264632678"]
[quote author=rounder17 link=topic=62249.msg750439#msg750439 date=1264616948]

[/quote]

There are alot of talented players who don't get a scholarship each year. Unless you are at the very top tier of talent and are only playing high school ball these days, very good chance you may get overlooked.
Just my 2 cents.

[/quote]

JMO but I think if this is the case then you are at the wrong highschool.

there should be no knocks on the sundevils. they DO have a pretty legit system in place as it seems. but if you have college-level talent, you WILL be noticed and recognized. yes, it does happen occasionally that a good ball player the couldve gone to a juco ends up not going for baseball, but that has to do with the player's want and drive to play the game on the next level. those who really want to play at the college level will make themselves known. even if they are in a tough money situation, if they want it, they can earn money and get sponsors to at least go to camps. the sundevils and organizations like that just make it so much easier to be exposed to coaches and scouts. i dont really have a bottom line, just rambling  ;D

[quote name="swingit" post="750460" timestamp="1264619534"]
[quote author=643 link=topic=62249.msg750414#msg750414 date=1264614606]
[/quote]

[/quote]Bitter??? no reason to be...IMO the first yrs of the Sundevils is what this area needed>>all local boys but as it has been said "We spread our wings">in other words WE left some homeboys, went and recruited out of state players so WE can compete on a larger stage. There are enough of the ones left behind that do get schollarships to fill a roster without the wing spreading and still compete, I along with others would much rather see a 75-80% schollarship rate with ALL local boys rather than 100% with 50% out of the area players. Eagle how many out of state players does Mike Rutledge carry on ANY team and if I'm not mistaken he has a cpl of nationally ranked teams also and has for YEARS. I do commend Chip on what he has done for OUR local boys BUT could care less about the out of the area players 

[quote name="643" post="750826" timestamp="1264682569"]
[quote author=swingit link=topic=62249.msg750460#msg750460 date=1264619534]
[/quote]

[/quote]Bitter??? no reason to be...IMO the first yrs of the Sundevils is what this area needed>>all local boys but as it has been said "We spread our wings">in other words WE left some homeboys, went and recruited out of state players so WE can compete on a larger stage. There are enough of the ones left behind that do get schollarships to fill a roster without the wing spreading and still compete, I along with others would much rather see a 75-80% schollarship rate with ALL local boys rather than 100% with 50% out of the area players. Eagle how many out of state players does Mike Rutledge carry on ANY team and if I'm not mistaken he has a cpl of nationally ranked teams also and has for YEARS. I do commend Chip on what he has done for OUR local boys BUT could care less about the out of the area players   
[/quote]

Hey...no argument here regarding Rutledge's Kyle Chapman. Mike has been doing a fantastic job for years.

Guest GCMPats
[quote name="EAGLE07" post="750859" timestamp="1264689876"]
[quote author=643 link=topic=62249.msg750826#msg750826 date=1264682569]
[/quote]

Bitter much?  An old saying comes to mind, "To each his own."
[/quote]

Hey...no argument here regarding Rutledge's Kyle Chapman. Mike has been doing a fantastic job for years.
[/quote]

I would guess that the Greater Houston Area has a few more baseball players to choose from than The Golden Triangle.  

http://kylechapman.com/

Looks like they both have the same fundamental focus: Getting players noticed!

[quote name="643" post="750826" timestamp="1264682569"]
[/quote]

[/quote]

What's wrong with players that don't live in our area?  They shouldn't get an opportunity to play after h.s.?

Im not trying to knock the sundevils in any way.  My point is this.... You can take a kid that doesn't play select ball at all, vs a kid that plays for the sundevils.  If both players are equally talented, BOTH will get a scholarship.  Yes the sundevils provide more opportunities than a kid who doesn't play select ball, but as stated above, if both kids are equally talented, they will both receive scholarships.  Not because they play for the sundevils, but simply because the kid is good.

[quote name="rounder17" post="751063" timestamp="1264710937"]
Im not trying to knock the sundevils in any way.  My point is this.... You can take a kid that doesn't play select ball at all, vs a kid that plays for the sundevils.  If both players are equally talented, BOTH will get a scholarship.  Yes the sundevils provide more opportunities than a kid who doesn't play select ball, but as stated above, if both kids are equally talented, they will both receive scholarships.  Not because they play for the sundevils, but simply because the kid is good.
[/quote]

Not trying to argue but many times that is not how it works. It's all about exposure. Granted the top of line, cream of the crop guys yes but not the others that have less talent. I see it all the time. From experiencing it with my son to seeing it now w/ sons of a couple of friends. Most high school coaches do not have the time to be a "mouthpiece" for their players. They usually teach class and coach football, among many other things. The top select team coaches are very well connected w/ college coaches and even many area scouts. They talk w/ these guys all of the time.
I'll admit I'm obviously pro select baseball. Our experience and rewards playing w/ the Houston Heat and some w/ the SE Texas Sundevils ( before injury ) were great and proved to be very valuable.
JMO

It seems funny to me that the guys that say NOTHING against the SD's are the ones that just keep talking them down. As a father and coach of a select and league ball player I can tell you that select ball gives players more of a chance get noticed. Example 1 lets start with the younger kids, lets say a 12 year old plays league ball only and can flat out pitch or hit but his allstar team is not that great. Well only the people from his area will know him. Take that same kid and put him on a good team at Ford park or Baseball USA or say Field of dreams every other weekend well kids parents and coaches from all over see him and remember him.  Now move up to a HS kid lets say a small school a Evedale or High Island if  he only plays for his school and the team is average to bad I promise he never gets noticed, Take that same kid put on the Sun Devils, GTB, Gladiators or heaven for bid Banditos Black team That kid now gets seen at tournaments by ex college players and coaches as well as scouts that have learned that these teams produce great ballplayers. My son is on 12 and plays select and league and will probably never be good enough to play for a team like the SD's but if he  were we would gladly accept the coaching and exposer they offer. Select is here to stay people and Yes I for one believe it helps get kids to the next level. I know there are kids out there that make it to the next level without select but they are way out numbered by the ones that play both.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33