Bridge City's Matt Hicks Signs With.......

Please do not read this the wrong way because I've heard nothing but good things about Matt Hicks.  There seems to be no question that he is a very talented young man.  However from the outside looking in, I would've thought he'd go to a bigger school than LA - Lafayette.  No knock on the kid but doesn't Lamar have a better program than LA  - Lafayette?   

[quote name="DogOne" post="739696" timestamp="1262840850"]
Please do not read this the wrong way because I've heard nothing but good things about Matt Hicks.  There seems to be no question that he is a very talented young man.  However from the outside looking in, I would've thought he'd go to a bigger school than LA - Lafayette.  No knock on the kid but doesn't Lamar have a better program than LA  - Lafayette?   
[/quote]

The only knock on Matt in scouts eyes is his size- around 5'7".  He throws 90+, is a bulldog on the mound, and is fearless.  Everytime he steps on the field he is at full speed.  I wish every kid that played for me had that kind of passion and work ethic.

IMO he could pitch at any college in the country.  ULL is getting a great player and a better kid.

My son has caught Matt in spring select, fall select and lessons for the last 4 years. Says he is one of the few pitchers that he can actually start 8-10in’s out of the zone, work it until he gets the call and live there.
Matts work ethic is incredible. He possesses a lot of the “uncoachable”  qualities majority of ballplayers nowadays just don’t have. Hustle, Heart and a TRUE passion for the game! If there is one HS player I want my son/sons to emulate, its Matt Hicks. Congrats Buddy!!

[quote name="PhatMack19" post="739700" timestamp="1262842840"]
[quote author=DogOne link=topic=62243.msg739696#msg739696 date=1262840850]
[/quote]

The only knock on Matt in scouts eyes is his size- around 5'7".  He throws 90+, is a bulldog on the mound, and is fearless.  Everytime he steps on the field he is at full speed.  I wish every kid that played for me had that kind of passion and work ethic.

IMO he could pitch at any college in the country.  ULL is getting a great player and a better kid.
[/quote]

That explains it.  Too many colleges put too much emphasis on a players size and not how well they play the game.  Good luck to Matt at ULL. 

[quote name="Dog4Life" post="739726" timestamp="1262868947"]
My son has caught Matt in spring select, fall select and lessons for the last 4 years. Says he is one of the few pitchers that he can actually start 8-10in’s out of the zone, work it until he gets the call and live there.
Matts work ethic is incredible. He possesses a lot of the “uncoachable”  qualities majority of ballplayers nowadays just don’t have. Hustle, Heart and a TRUE passion for the game! If there is one HS player I want my son/sons to emulate, its Matt Hicks. Congrats Buddy!!

[/quote]Ditto to above.  Matt is an exceptional kid on and off the field and has lived and breathed baseball since he was a little boy.................and he had the same work ethic at 6 years old as he does now.  Great kid and proud that my son has and will have the opportunity to play with him another year! 

Matt [i]was [/i] courted by Lamar and other teams quite heavily up until the day he signed with ULL.  He has tons of respect for their program and Lamar's coaches have followed Matt's baseball career since he started attending their camps at age 6 or 7.  He visited with the Lamar staff and listened to what they had to offer.  He wants to pitch and still play infield.  Several of the colleges that showed interest could not guarantee him playing on a regular basis.  Matty did not want to choose a team where he had chances of being red-shirted or sitting the bench often, as was the case with larger universities. 

Ultimately it was Matt's decision and he chose ULL which offered him a rare full-ride scholarship.  Since I only live 5 minutes from the Lamar stadium, it would have been great for me, but it's not about me or anyone else.  It's about Matt and his desire to play ball at a higher level.  My advice to him is to get an education and have fun playing ball as long as you can. 

Oh and by the way, he say's he's only 5'8" but standing next to him yesterday ... I'd swear he's taller than that.  :o

[quote name="bkatdog" post="742103" timestamp="1263221901"]
Matt reminds me of a young man that plays in Boston. Have fun this year and enjoy the ride. Good luck in college and beyond. This kid can play at any level and will be a leader wherever he plays.
[/quote]

Knowing both, their personalities are very similar. From a guy that played against him for 3 years.. I wish him the best of luck. He's a great kid and an extremely hard worker. He'll be great for the Ragin Cajuns.

I am from BC origianlly and I played @ ULL for Coach Robe.  Class act coach and runs his program as such.  Lafayette is a uniquie town and they back ULL baseball well.  As far as conferences go I can say having played there the Sun Belt Conference is stronger as a whole then the Southland.  Also, ULL has much better facilities than Lamar.  Not knocking Lamar!  I think Matt will enjoy his time there.  Good Luck! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu