HJ vs WOS games for tonight

coog31

I feel the same way, Gas.  HJ made a big deal out of WOS volleyball girls "forfeiting" the game to go to a football game and we have a "possibility" of bad weather coming and HJ goes ahead and cancels before it ever gets here.  What's up with that? Maybe we should have done that with a couple of our rainy nights.

[quote name="w" post="689763" timestamp="1256851278"]
I feel the same way, Gas.  HJ made a big deal out of WOS volleyball girls "forfeiting" the game to go to a football game and we have a "possibility" of bad weather coming and HJ goes ahead and cancels before it ever gets here.  What's up with that? Maybe we should have done that with a couple of our rainy nights.
[/quote]

First the game was canceled by mutual agreement. It was due to the threat of bad weather and not wanting to have kids traveling on the roads in that bad weather. As was stated above we are under a tornado watch and I don't think either school wanted to risk something happening to their kids if the situation gets worse (which if you believe the forecast it will). After the West Book soccer incident a few years ago, there are a lot of parents and administrators that think twice about sending their kids out with the threat of severe weather. IMO it isn't worth the unnecessary risk to a kids safety just to get in an underlevel game. Apparently there are some people in West Orange that feel differently.

Second, if you go back to the thread about the volleyball game you will see that most of the criticism came from people other than people from HJ. And I would say under level football games are a far cry from VARSITY district volleyball games that could have playoff implications.

[quote name="Castor27" post="689777" timestamp="1256852365"]
[quote author=w link=topic=61511.msg689763#msg689763 date=1256851278]
[/quote]

First the game was canceled by mutual agreement. It was due to the threat of bad weather and not wanting to have kids traveling on the roads in that bad weather. As was stated above we are under a tornado watch and I don't think either school wanted to risk something happening to their kids if the situation gets worse (which if you believe the forecast it will). After the West Book soccer incident a few years ago, there are a lot of parents and administrators that think twice about sending their kids out with the threat of severe weather. IMO it isn't worth the unnecessary risk to a kids safety just to get in an underlevel game. Apparently there are some people in West Orange that feel differently.

Second, if you go back to the thread about the volleyball game you will see that most of the criticism came from people other than people from HJ. And I would say under level football games are a far cry from VARSITY district volleyball games that could have playoff implications.
[/quote]

these games may be considered "under level" but theyre very important to the kids,parents,etc..

[quote name="Castor27" post="689777" timestamp="1256852365"]
[quote author=w link=topic=61511.msg689763#msg689763 date=1256851278]
[/quote]

[/quote]

You are correct, we do not need to endanger our children. I guess if the schools were a little closer we could try it. This just makes 2 weeks in a row that our games got cancelled and, to my knowledge, we are the only ones missing out for the second straight week. The kids work hard and they were really looking forward to playing especially since HJ only had one loss for the year. Oh well, better safe than sorry I guess.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="689797" timestamp="1256854097"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=61511.msg689795#msg689795 date=1256853952]
Gas, I didn't know that your games last week were canceled. Why were those canceled?
[/quote]

Because the field was wet... ::)
[/quote]

That's amazing. ::)

Silsbee's Jr. High teams played at Orangefield last Thursday with no problems. In fact, when I got to McClain Stadium Friday night, you could hardly tell that it had been played on the night before. I walked the field from goal line to goal line, in between the hashes, and the field was in great shape.

I did here that BC's field was pretty tore up though.

[quote name="AggiesAreWe" post="689800" timestamp="1256854350"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=61511.msg689797#msg689797 date=1256854097]
Gas, I didn't know that your games last week were canceled. Why were those canceled?
[/quote]

[/quote]

Silsbee's Jr. High teams played at Orangefield last Thursday with no problems. In fact, when I got to McClain Stadium Friday night, you could hardly tell that it had been played on the night before. I walked the field from goal line to goal line, in between the hashes, and the field was in great shape.

[/quote]

The HJ/BC game tore BC's field all up. that game was really muddy

[quote name="HJ-Hawks25" post="689890" timestamp="1256862379"]
[quote author=AggiesAreWe link=topic=61511.msg689800#msg689800 date=1256854350]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=61511.msg689797#msg689797 date=1256854097]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

The HJ/BC game tore BC's field all up. that game was really muddy
[/quote]

Actually that game tore it up pretty but it was already somewhat bad, it was already soft when the Jr. high played on it the night before.

I have kind of mixed feelings on this.  First off I understand the kids safety issue, but the first thing that comes to my mind is football is the most physical, violent sport in schools and every time they step on the field there is the threat of a kid getting seriously injured, yet they do not cancel football.  Secondly, every other school in the area to my knowledge is playing tonight, and it just so happens the WO-S MS games were the only ones not played last week too.  I feel sorry for these kids that go out and bust their tail every day and dont get to play.  I guess it is a good thing they cancelled though because its pouring down rain all over the golden triangle!! ::) ::)  

And how do we know it was a mutual agreement??  If one school calls and says it is supposed to rain we arent playing, can the other make them play or just say ok??  Not sure how it went down, just asking a question.  a little food for thought on this rainy setx evening!!

But, who knows, if they would have played a tornado may have raced thru and took out the whole stadium.  I guess its better safe than sorry, but I am glad I dont have to live my life afraid of what might happen.

[quote name="77" post="689957" timestamp="1256866503"]
WOS probably has the best field in the area for wet weather for the under classmen to play on and thats the old Stark field, old man Stark built that one right.
[/quote]

You aren't kidding! It can rain 4 inches and you can play on it an hour later. The field drains great!!!

It's my understanding that HJ called at 3 o'clock to cancel and has no intention of making the game up on Monday, which was offered.  Furthermore, no other school's jv canceled tonight due to threat of bad weather.  LCM played in Lumberton and it only rain a little on them.  It's almost ten and still hasn't rain in Orange.  What's up with that?  It was a district game to our jv players.

I don't care if anybody agrees with me or not.  I'm just giving my opinion. 

[quote name="w" post="690035" timestamp="1256870639"]
It's my understanding that HJ called at 3 o'clock to cancel and has no intention of making the game up on Monday, which was offered.  Furthermore, no other school's jv canceled tonight due to threat of bad weather.  LCM played in Lumberton and it only rain a little on them.  It's almost ten and still hasn't rain in Orange.  What's up with that?  It was a district game to our jv players.

I don't care if anybody agrees with me or not.  I'm just giving my opinion. 
[/quote]

Who was your source???  I was sitting near the phone when Coach Hooks called.  There was no mention of Monday either...  Coach Martel and Coach Hooks had talked several times throughout the day and there was a concern on BOTH parts of travel concerns.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but to imply that a school didn't want to play is stupid!  Go meet with coach Hooks tomorrow and get your facts straight.

It was a district game to our players as well.  No one wants games to be cancelled.. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin