Is former Newton now Kville D-coordinator WT Johnston the best in SETX?

Guest Jmeek

Guest FreshmanPhenom#17
he has a lot of input he is an assistant not a defensive coordinator this will probably be his only year in Kirbyville assistant just isnt his thing but as a defensive coordinator hes in the top 3 in southeast texas

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="687640" timestamp="1256660438"]
Who's defense are they running?  Who's putting together the gameplan?  If I remember correctly K-ville also has an offensive coordinator, but Alvarez calls the plays.  Sometimes the title is just a title.

Not taking anything away from Vanya though, the guys a great coach and will be a head coach again as soon as he wants to be.  IMO Kirbyville has the best coaching staff in the area regardless of classification.
[/quote]

1. To be the best DC in the area you probably should ACTUALLY be a DC.

2. Cornel Thompson is by far the most proven DC in this area (we can count shut outs if you would like).

3. He was not the DC at Palestine.

4. He was only the DC at Huntsville for one season.

5. He left WOS after the 2000 season where his defense was the #1 defense in 4A and all classifications and went to the DII state title game.

If you want to go back and rely on what he did in the 80's and 90's then yes, Cornel would be the best.  What has he done in the last 6 years.  Since he left WOS for Palestein he hasn't done much.  He failed in Palestine, and didn't do much at Huntsville.  The only success he has had is at WOS.  And that was his previous stint.  For some reason, his defenses playing lesser competition in 3A have been worse than when they played in a tougher 4a league.

Lie I said WT is the best DC in the area.  Tell me who's defense they are running in K-ville and that will tell you who's has the input.

[quote name="class/2011" post="689062" timestamp="1256782663"]
he has a lot of input he is an assistant not a defensive coordinator this will probably be his only year in Kirbyville assistant just isnt his thing but as a defensive coordinator hes in the top 3 in southeast texas
[/quote] He is there to stay.

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="689124" timestamp="1256785394"]
If you want to go back and rely on what he did in the 80's and 90's then yes, Cornel would be the best.  What has he done in the last 6 years.  Since he left WOS for Palestein he hasn't done much.  He failed in Palestine, and didn't do much at Huntsville.  The only success he has had is at WOS.  And that was his previous stint.  For some reason, his defenses playing lesser competition in 3A have been worse than when they played in a tougher 4a league.

Lie I said WT is the best DC in the area.  Tell me who's defense they are running in K-ville and that will tell you who's has the input.
[/quote]

You know, it's funny how some of you homers like to see things through rose colored glasses. You guys are the ones who brought up what this guy did at Newton when they won state in 1998, then you come back with. "Well, if you want to count what he did in the 80's and 90's... blah, blah, blah", LOL. The question was who is the best DC in the area. It didn't say who was the best DC over the past 6 years OR who is the best defensive coach who advises a DC that used to be a DC but now just coaches the defense and we really don't know what his title is...

The best DC in this area is Cornel Thompson and is probably the best in the state of Texas. You can look at his entire career as the DC at WOS or the last 6 years or however many years you want to. His defenses have been the best in the district EVERY year including the years that Kville was in it. A few of those years it was the best in the state in 3A. That's what he has done. Just because the WOS team has not won a state title does not mean they do not have a good defense.

Last year his defense was the best defense in the state across all classifications.  In all the years he has been at WOS his defense has never allowed more than a 19.6 points per game average in 5a, 4a or 3a.  If my mind serves me correctly his defenses have 77 or 78 shut outs.  Cornel is definitely the best in Southeast Texas and at least in the top 5 in the state of Texas.  His defense has been the #1 defense in the state across all classifications at least 5 or 6 times.

WT is the best defensive coordinator around.  Kirbyville wanted him to be their d coordinator but he did not want to step on any toes and take vanya's place.  And Im sure he will not be in Kville forever.  He is going to be the heir to Barbay in Newton once Curtis (if he ever does) hangs up his hat.  Im sure Newton would pay WT whatever it takes for him to take over after barbay.

[quote name="Headliner1" post="690062" timestamp="1256871905"]
[i][b]WT is the best defensive coordinator around.[/b][/i]  Kirbyville wanted him to be their d coordinator but he did not want to step on any toes and take vanya's place.  And Im sure he will not be in Kville forever.   He is going to be the heir to Barbay in Newton once Curtis (if he ever does) hangs up his hat.  Im sure Newton would pay WT whatever it takes for him to take over after barbay.
[/quote]

Give us some statistical information to support this claim, otherwise, it is just your opinion. We have given statistical data to support Cornel Thompson. How many times, if at all, has Newton or Kirbyville had the number 1 defense in the state in 3A much less all classes while he coached them? I'd bet it is a big fat ZERO.

[quote name="Gasilla" post="690066" timestamp="1256872355"]
[quote author=Headliner1 link=topic=61399.msg690062#msg690062 date=1256871905]
[i][b]WT is the best defensive coordinator around.[/b][/i]  Kirbyville wanted him to be their d coordinator but he did not want to step on any toes and take vanya's place.  And Im sure he will not be in Kville forever.   He is going to be the heir to Barbay in Newton once Curtis (if he ever does) hangs up his hat.  Im sure Newton would pay WT whatever it takes for him to take over after barbay.
[/quote]

Give us some statistical information to support this claim, otherwise, it is just your opinion. We have given statistical data to support Cornel Thompson. How many times, if at all, has Newton or Kirbyville had the number 1 defense in the state in 3A much less all classes while he coached them? I'd bet it is a big fat ZERO.
[/quote]

Ill give you a statistic... WT has two state rings in the last ten years... how many does Cornel have???? hmmmmmmm

[quote name="Headliner1" post="690071" timestamp="1256872618"]
[quote author=Gasilla link=topic=61399.msg690066#msg690066 date=1256872355]
[quote author=Headliner1 link=topic=61399.msg690062#msg690062 date=1256871905]
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ill give you a statistic... WT has two state rings in the last ten years... how many does Cornel have???? hmmmmmmm
[/quote]

Does he? Where did he get them, hmmmmmmmm.  ???

Also, I thought the topic was who was the best DC in SETX, not which one has the most rings... You guys keep making claims, but you don't have anything to back it up other to bring up something off topic... ::)

Your right!  Newton won state in 1998 shutting out a very good Dangerfield team 21-0.  That was in 3A.  Don't forget the other 2 state title games Newton has gone to sinc then in 2A.  They lost one, and won one.  Thats 3 state title games since WOS has sniffed the ultimate game, and 2 state championships since WOS has won their last in 1987 (can you remember that far back?).

What has WOS done in 3A, the past 6 years other than embarrass a once proud name.  WOS was one of the more dominant teams in 4A for a long period of time, and when they dropped to 3A were expected to have a strangle hold on the state titles.  WRONG!  Have they even made it to the semi's?  Thats pretty sad!  Really, you call that meeting expectations?  I hope not.  

Also, please give me some factual info, out of a newspaper if you want me to believe you.  Don't just come out and throw out numbers.  WT has also done it everwhere he has been.   Again, look at when Cornel left to "greener" pastures.  Palestein, failure.  Huntsville, major failure.  Only at WOS can he claim success.  And if he can't dominate at a 3A level with the talent that he coaches, and shut much weaker teams out with the much ballyhooed "chain gang" defense then something would be terribly wrong.  Its truely sad that WOS was the talk of Texas as a 5A and 4A power, but can't match the success against much lesser, weaker competition.

Can one of the WOS homers, clarify why Cornel thought Adrian Peterson wasn't good enough to play tailback for him at Palestein?  I always wanted to know that.  Thats a pretty good reason as to why he couldn't cut the mustard there.  

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="690079" timestamp="1256873125"]
Your right!  Newton won state in 1998 shutting out a very good Dangerfield team 21-0.  That was in 3A.  Don't forget the other 2 state title games Newton has gone to sinc then in 2A.  They lost one, and won one.  Thats 3 state title games since WOS has sniffed the ultimate game, and 2 state championships since WOS has won their last in 1987 (can you remember that far back?).[/quote]

If your going to argue a point with me, at least try to be right about SOMETHING. You've been wrong on everything you've posted and this one is no different. WOS went to the state title game in 2000 genius.

[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=61399.msg690079#msg690079 date=1256873125]What has WOS done in 3A, the past 6 years other than embarrass a once proud name. [/quote]

That name must not be to embarassing since most of you Kirbyville fans marquis game this season was a 1 point loss to that team. Heck, you guys are still talking about that and it's what? A month old?

[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=61399.msg690079#msg690079 date=1256873125]WOS was one of the more dominant teams in 4A for a long period of time, and when they dropped to 3A were expected to have a strangle hold on the state titles.  WRONG! [/quote]  

The only people who thought we were going to have a hold on titles are people like you. As for being dominant, I think that speaks for itself. We've been in 3A since 04 and we lost our first district game this year. I would say that's pretty dominant.

[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=61399.msg690079#msg690079 date=1256873125]Have they even made it to the semi's?  Thats pretty sad! [/quote] 

Wrong again! We went to the semi's in 2005.

[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=61399.msg690079#msg690079 date=1256873125]Also, please give me some factual info, out of a newspaper if you want me to believe you.  Don't just come out and throw out numbers. [/quote] 

When you start giving me something founded in reality, I will do the same.

[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=61399.msg690079#msg690079 date=1256873125]WT has also done it everwhere he has been. [/quote]

Everywhere he has been? Where has he been a DC other than Newton?

[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=61399.msg690079#msg690079 date=1256873125]Again, look at when Cornel left to "greener" pastures.  Palestein, failure.  Huntsville, major failure.  Only at WOS can he claim success.  And if he can't dominate at a 3A level with the talent that he coaches, and shut much weaker teams out with the much ballyhooed "chain gang" defense then something would be terribly wrong.  Its truely sad that WOS was the talk of Texas as a 5A and 4A power, but can't match the success against much lesser, weaker competition.[/quote]

You keep bringing up Palestine, is it that hard for you to understand? He was not the DC at Palestine. I think some of you are having a problem with reading comprehension. The topic is who is the best DC. Get it? DC! Cornel was not the DC at Palestine. He was the DC at Hunstville for one year of which they had the best season they had in several seasons. He came back to WOS because he loves it, he loves the people of Orange and he loves DRH. As for domination. As for not having the success we had in 4A, well, we did not make the playoffs in 01, 02 and 03. The last 3 years we were in 4A. We have not missed them since dropping. I think that is far exceeding the success we were having.

[quote author=BoboandBlair link=topic=61399.msg690079#msg690079 date=1256873125]Can one of the WOS homers, clarify why Cornel thought Adrian Peterson wasn't good enough to play tailback for him at Palestein?  I always wanted to know that.  Thats a pretty good reason as to why he couldn't cut the mustard there.  
[/quote]

Because AD did not want to be a team player and follow team rules. That will not "cut the mustard" with cornel no matter how big a "star" you are.

BoobandBlair - Your posts are so full of a "hidden agenda", it 'aint funny.  My gut tells me you are someone that is so jealous of Cornel Thompson, you can't stand it.  You are not making a case for "making a case for a guy, or building one choice up", rather, "an all out desire to run one guy down".  It's very easy to see you have a strong slant toward tearing down a guy who needs "no introduction".  His body of work is unmmatched.  Having said that, WT is a guy that Cornel has strong admiration and respect for.  When you get on here and start assaulting the names of  an Alex Durley, Chief Wilson, Curtis Barbay, Larry Neaumann, Dan Hooks, Doug Ethridge, Stud McGallion, or the Cornel Thompson's of the Southeast Texas World, you are showing your willful face of running a guy down.  You wreek with jealousy if you merely analyze your posts.  The post was about who is the best DC in the area, which if somewhat subjective.  However, you only advance to stupidity by concentrating your post on "why Cornel is bad" - that wasn't the intent of the post.  I won't dignify anymore response going forward - no matter how you respond - Cornel is something you won't ever be - just a fair guess......  Regards..........

Gas-it's probably futile.

Coach T is one of the greatest defensive minds the state of Texas has ever known and anyone that can think reasonably and objectively would support that statement. His results speak for themselves.

He may not have "won any titles" lately; however, when you look at his body of work, there is no argument.

But the funny thing is, that doesn't even scratch the surface of what Cornel Thompson stands for. The impact he's made on young men's lives are too numerous to count. The character that he has molded in so many athletes is phenomenal and the mental toughness that he has imparted into generations of Mustang football players is incredible.

He may or may not be the best DC in Southeast Texas depending on who you ask but there is no doubt that he is a coaching icon and an incredible man, leader and mentor.

Coach t is a great dc! I played for him for four years and this man can teach you everything about defense you could ever wanna know! His defenses are ALWAYS great! Just cause we havent won a state title lately doesnt mean it falls on him and his D! When we do lose it is usually cause our offense struggles not our defense!!!

I'm a Kirbyville fan and homer?  LOL! 

I'm from Orange County and now live in Lumberton, I don't have a side in this, unlike you. 

For the record, can you tell me what the final score was in the 2000 state title game against Ennis?  Do you care to reflect?  What about last years game with Gilmer?  The "best DC's ever" as you would like me to believe, do it when it counts, not playing the Orangefields, Bridge City's, HJ's, Hampshire's, and Kirbyville's.  WOS has fallen on bad times when shutting these people out, and beating a 2A team is room for boasting.  Who would have thought the once mighty WOS that had great teams in the 80's and 90's would have to resort to beating 2A and 3a teams for a measuring stick.  Truely sad.

WT did it in Newton for several years beating 3A and 4A schools, then going through the playoffs with a much smaller enrollment than their opponents.  Like I said earlier, the last 10 years it hasn't even been close as to who has been more successful.  I guess you also want me to believe that Dan Ray is a better coach than Coach Barbay too.

To wosmustangs  :'(    Show me how I disrespected the names of all the legendary SE Texas coaches by saying WT is a better DC than your beloved Cornel.  I never mentioned their names, you did show some good history though  :o.  I hold most of those guys in high regard actually, along with Willie Ray Smith, Les Koening, Roy Harper, Gene Wakoviak, and Ed Peveto.  Because I don't think Cornel is the best DC in SE Texas don't mean I disrepect anyone, so go cry me a river.....  I guess you can save the tears for another early playoff exit though.

[quote name="Headliner1" post="690062" timestamp="1256871905"]
WT is the best defensive coordinator around.  Kirbyville wanted him to be their d coordinator but he did not want to step on any toes and take vanya's place.  And I'm sure he will not be in Kville forever.   He is going to be the heir to Barbay in Newton once Curtis (if he ever does) hangs up his hat.  Im sure Newton would pay WT whatever it takes for him to take over after barbay.
[/quote]
U correct about that WT will be the first selection in the pool of coaches Newton chooses from if Barbay ever decides to leave,I hope Barbay never leaves hope he stays as long as his health allows him to.

[quote name="BoboandBlair" post="690229" timestamp="1256907926"]
I'm a Kirbyville fan and homer?  LOL! 

I'm from Orange County and now live in Lumberton, I don't have a side in this, unlike you. 

For the record, can you tell me what the final score was in the 2000 state title game against Ennis?  Do you care to reflect?  What about last years game with Gilmer?  The "best DC's ever" as you would like me to believe, do it when it counts, not playing the Orangefields, Bridge City's, HJ's, Hampshire's, and Kirbyville's.  WOS has fallen on bad times when shutting these people out, and beating a 2A team is room for boasting.  Who would have thought the once mighty WOS that had great teams in the 80's and 90's would have to resort to beating 2A and 3a teams for a measuring stick.  Truely sad.

WT did it in Newton for several years beating 3A and 4A schools, then going through the playoffs with a much smaller enrollment than their opponents.  Like I said earlier, the last 10 years it hasn't even been close as to who has been more successful.  I guess you also want me to believe that Dan Ray is a better coach than Coach Barbay too.

To wosmustangs  :'(    Show me how I disrespected the names of all the legendary SE Texas coaches by saying WT is a better DC than your beloved Cornel.  I never mentioned their names, you did show some good history though  :o.   I hold most of those guys in high regard actually, along with Willie Ray Smith, Les Koening, Roy Harper, Gene Wakoviak, and Ed Peveto.  Because I don't think Cornel is the best DC in SE Texas don't mean I disrepect anyone, so go cry me a river.....  I guess you can save the tears for another early playoff exit though.

[/quote]

Let me say first that my problem with bebo is, in no way, intended to disrespect WT or Curtis Barbay. They are great coaches and are, no doubt, some of the best coaches around.

Bebo, careful what you ask for, you are going to make me do some digging, you are not going to like what I find, you should have just left it alone, but we are going to take a look at your last 10 years... I will be back, bank on it. ;)

[quote name="Independent" post="690336" timestamp="1256913326"]
Fun topic to read, it feels like Jerry Springer.
But to quote an old coach...
  It ain't about the X's and O's,
           it's about the Jimmy's and Joe's.

Ask WT or Coach T

[/quote]

I agree with that.

One point here, if I may. WT wasn't defensive coordinator in '98 when Newton won the title over Daingerfield. Johnny "Squat Low" Westbrook was and had been for many years. When he retired WT became DC. I like WT and he is a fine coach. I think his tutelage by Lidney Thompson probably helped some, but I'm not too sure he would come back to Newton if given a chance. Hopefully he will. He has a way of motivating kids to play for him.

[quote name="ChampionEagles" post="690474" timestamp="1256919786"]
One point here, if I may. WT wasn't defensive coordinator in '98 when Newton won the title over Daingerfield. Johnny "Squat Low" Westbrook was and had been for many years. When he retired WT became DC. I like WT and he is a fine coach. I think his tutelage by Lidney Thompson probably helped some, but I'm not too sure he would come back to Newton if given a chance. Hopefully he will. He has a way of motivating kids to play for him.
[/quote]

Dang BooBoo do you ever get a fact right?????

I told you NOT to motivate me to dig...

CT vs WT Last 10 yrs at WOS and Newton (Full seasons)

Shutouts:
CT-30
WT- 27

Points per game:
CT- 11.26
WT- 13.99

Number of opponents in each classification:
CT- 5A (2), 4A (70), 3A (49), 2A (0)
WT- 5A (0), 4A (11), 3A (62), 2A (63)

And the bonus statistic, wins vs one another:
CT- 6
WT- 0

Game, set, match... ;) ;D

[quote name="Gasilla" post="690566" timestamp="1256924089"]

Shutouts:
CT-30
WT- 27

Points per game:
CT- 11.26
WT- 13.99

CT- 6
WT- 0

[/quote]

Now all you have to do is make a time machine, go back in time, and have them each switch schools and coach the other's kids. Then you'll have your winner.

My vote goes to Cornel Johnston.... Although W.T. Thompson is a heck of a coach too. ;D ;D

[quote name="Gasilla" post="690566" timestamp="1256924089"]

Shutouts:
CT-30
WT- 27

Points per game:
CT- 11.26
WT- 13.99

CT- 6
WT- 0

[/quote]

Good stuff, Gas, even though you got the info from a guy that continiously makes snide remarks about this site. He made one regarding you needing this info. ;D Anyway, good stuff.

I do have a question or two. How can CT be 6-0 against WT if WOS has no 2A opponents? Is part of those numbers include this season? If so, WOS did play 2A Kirbyville. Again, I just ask because I do not know.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    fasedo9317
    Newest Member
    fasedo9317