WOS Volleyball forfeits district game for football game/Game rescheduled!!!

Bobcat1

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thus, I don't know that threatening to remove the girls from the team would have a real big deterrent effect for these young ladies.  Moreover, such an action would turn one forfeit, which from the 10 pages worth of posts (and probably a few more by the time I hit the "post" button) is undesirable, into 7 forfeits.  I don't know that would be a desirable outcome to any involved in 21-3A, WO-S athletics or posters on this board.  

This is the first thing I thought about while reading all 12 pages of this topic.

While I agree with many that it appears to be a commiment issue with these girls and their parents, one in which I personally do no agree with. This should not be used by those involved in this thread to take a shot at Hooks. This is not his choice, not his responsibility and not something that he can force, contrary to what the "nay sayers" want to say. Dan Hooks has no authority over the Band, Drill Team or the Cheerleaders. He cannot tell them that they are not allowed to participate at this game from that perspective, it's not even his business. That being said, he COULD have influence from the standpoint of the Volleyball team. Yes, he could probably even force them to quit or not allow them back, but as said above, you go from one forfeit to 7 and those 3 girls are not just getting screwed out of one game, but the rest of their season. If I were Dan, I would leave it up to the VB coach. She knows what's best for her team better than anyone.

The bottom line is that this is a poor decision (in my opinion) on the part of the girls and parents.  

Thus, I don't know that threatening to remove the girls from the team would have a real big deterrent effect for these young ladies.  Moreover, such an action would turn one forfeit, which from the 10 pages worth of posts (and probably a few more by the time I hit the "post" button)is undesirable, into 7 forfeits.  I don't know that would be a desirable outcome to any involved in 21-3A, WO-S athletics or posters on this board.  

This is the first thing I thought about while reading all 12 pages of this topic.

While I agree with many that it appears to be a commiment issue with these girls and their parents, one in which I personally do no agree with. The should not be used by those involved in this thread to take a shot at Hooks. This is not his choice, not his responsibility and not something that he can force, contrary to what the "nay sayers" want to say. Dan Hooks has no authority over the Band, Drill Team or the Cheerleaders. He cannot tell them that they are not allowed to participate at this game from that perspective, it's not even his business. That being said, he COULD have influence from the standpoint of the Volleyball team. Yes, he could probably even force them to quit or not allow them back, but as said above, you go from one forfeit to 7 and those 3 girls are not just getting screwed out of one game, but the rest of their season. If I were Dan, I would leave it up to the VB coach. She knows what's best for her team better than anyone.

The bottom line is that this is a poor decision (in my opinion) on the part of the girls and parents.  

I can live with that Gas, fair enough. Good post!

My take is that there are other schools who still have to play games.  If the commitment level is not there to fill a team to play scheduled district games, then don't have a varsity team...

This scheduling conflict could have been foreseen when schedules were made...(last spring...at the latest the beginning of the school year.)  Why not let HJ know ahead of time, so they could at least try and find a game in place of the one they lost.

Situation could have been handled better by parents, players etc.... but that is for WOS to address...no one else.  Just remember, another school was left without a game.

It seems to me from all that I read the girls can do both but have chosen along with their parents to participate in an activity in which it will not determine an outcome of a game as to if they are there or not (just another fan in the stands) vs handing a win to a team and letting your team members down cuz you don't want to participate & having the potential to not be in a playoff position because you forfeited.

Both can be accomplished if they start the district VB game earlier on Friday, in which HJ has agreed, and still go to the non-district football game to dance or cheer on the other side of Houston after the game.

There should not be a choice given. They do both or none.  When you choose to participate you are making a commitment to your teams.  Choosing an activity that doesn't require your participation to continue over one that does is totally wrong. (IMO)

Sounds to me like the parents either don't care and probably weren't planning on going to the football game. But by their daughters going vs staying here to play volleyball this gives them a night out until the girls get home from the football game to do what they want to do like go to the Winnie Rice Festival. There will be another vb game next week but the rice festival will be over...LOL..

But seriously, my child participates in multiple activites and sometimes there are conflicts but the entire situation has to be reviewed to determine which activity to participate... one factor would be if there were enuf players without him, playoff vs recreational, etc.  He has always been told that once he commits he is in it for the duration if he decides he doesn't like it or doesn't want to play anymore then that is fine for the next season but he is committed for that one. Once u start it then u finish it.

Situation could have been handled better by parents, players etc. & it still can since it is only Thursday.

I can't believe I just read 12 pages of this. 

This is my take:

It is all about declining numbers in attendance.  WOS just doesn't have enough students that want to be involved in extracurricular to fulfill all of the sports and other activities. 

Blame Dan Hooks?  Are you serious?  That is the dumbest thing that has been said.  He has alot of "power" at WOS, but at the end of the day it is up to the students and most importantly THEIR PARENTS.

WOS might emphasize football, but what school that competes the way the we do doesn't.  I think that they girls are abandonding their team, but they are also committed to other groups.  Groups that they take pride in and have worked hard to be a contributing member of.  These young ladies take enough pride in their school to be part of different activies and unfortunately someone has to suffer. 

Let's be real honest.  Girls athletics don't matter as much as boys' sports. (By that I mean, people coming to watch that aren't related or media coverage and talk in the community)  I'm not being sexist, it just the truth.  Sad but true.  The only time it gets the press or people talking about them is when they do something special.  Nobody cared about WOS softball until Ragsdale put together some winning teams and were taking them to the playoffs for the first time.  I actually went to a baseball game that was being played after the softball game and the stands were packed.  I was shocked, because that doesn't happen.  A few years ago when the Trahan girl was taking LCM to State, that was the big talk in the papers and around town.  Other than that you don't really hear too much about girls sports.  It has to be a milestone that is being achieved.

WosGrad and Gasilla, nice post as usual.

The one thing that WosGrad typed that I did not agree with is the was the AggiesAreWe isn't a WOS hater.  This was Christmas come early to him.  His hatred has made him famous.  Congrats buddy, you are a message board Rock Star.  He doesn't respect the program or Dan Hooks.  He is envious.  Its rather close in comparison, but it is definitely envy.  I'm sure he does root for the Mustangs because he is a football fan and needs something to do in November and December when his school is no longer playing.  Its just like Cowboys fans, just because the Cowboys are not in the playoffs you still watch.  You find a team, maybe the same division or conference and you run with them just like they are your own.  But you aren't really a fan.  You are just bored and next year when the slate is clean, you go back to your Cowboys and you start complaining about the team you followed in the playoffs.  That is what he does.  He says he just does it to get at the "homers" or to get COOP all excited.  We aren't buying it.  He's just a joke.  Mustang fans are used to it.  We've been  hated on for years.  And by hated, I mean envied.

My favorite part of reading all of these pages was when COOP told AggiesAreWe "I know more than you!"

Guest rykerx144

this is crazy! 

First, W's campaign to get this thread moved is just another way of admitting he agrees that this is wrong and doesnt want it read.  If you cant argue the facts of the thread then the only thing left to do is argue the location of the thread.  Nice attempt but I hope most can see right through that.

As for the situation I think some people are getting way ahead of yourself.  I agree that what is going on is a terrible thing for the WOS program.  This should have never been allowed to go this far, but it has and I think that we need to wait and let the proper officials at WOS have a chance to get to the bottom of this.  To say that Dan Hooks has nothing to do with this and there is nothing he can do is crap.  He is the Athletic Director and has everything to do with this.  I am positive that he had nothing to do with decisions that the players have made.  I am also positive that he is just as disappointed in decsion that the players have made and can not and should not support their decisions.  I am doing my very best to keep my views and opinions to myself until I feel this matter is over.  I have faith that the officials in WOS will handle this properly.  Trust me, I will have no shortage of opinions and will have no problem speaking my peace once the time has come and I feel like it was not handled properly.  These are all just my thoughts on the matter and I thought I would share them with you. 

Guest rykerx144

The one thing that WosGrad typed that I did not agree with is the was the AggiesAreWe isn't a WOS hater.  This was Christmas come early to him.  His hatred has made him famous.  Congrats buddy, you are a message board Rock Star.  He doesn't respect the program or Dan Hooks.  He is envious.  Its rather close in comparison, but it is definitely envy.  I'm sure he does root for the Mustangs because he is a football fan and needs something to do in November and December when his school is no longer playing.  Its just like Cowboys fans, just because the Cowboys are not in the playoffs you still watch.  You find a team, maybe the same division or conference and you run with them just like they are your own.  But you aren't really a fan.  You are just bored and next year when the slate is clean, you go back to your Cowboys and you start complaining about the team you followed in the playoffs.  That is what he does.  He says he just does it to get at the "homers" or to get COOP all excited.  We aren't buying it.  He's just a joke.  Mustang fans are used to it.  We've been  hated on for years.  And by hated, I mean envied.

My favorite part of reading all of these pages was when COOP told AggiesAreWe "I know more than you!"

I disagree with you on this matter.  I dont think that the issue is that he or anyone else on here is jealous of your program.  AAW is a very opiniated person that not only has no problem speaking his mind but I think enjoys giving you his opinion about a matter.  AAW enjoying debating football and is looking for anyone that is willing to spare with him.  I think that your arrogance is calling him out more so than he is hating on your program.  I have no beef with WOS football and want to support it very much, but its comments like this "We aren't buying it.  He's just a joke.  Mustang fans are used to it.  We've been  hated on for years.  And by hated, I mean envied." that makes it hard to stomach WOS.  I understand completely how he feels and I can promise you its not jealousy.  If you would spend less time at the helm of your program boasting about its greatness and calling out anyone who is not bowing to your greatness jealous then you probably wouldnt have people like AAW constantly looking to say something bad about your program. 

I disagree with you on this matter.  I dont think that the issue is that he or anyone else on here is jealous of your program.  AAW is a very opiniated person that not only has no problem speaking his mind but I think enjoys giving you his opinion about a matter.  AAW enjoying debating football and is looking for anyone that is willing to spare with him.  I think that your arrogance is calling him out more so than he is hating on your program.  I have no beef with WOS football and want to support it very much, but its comments like this "We aren't buying it.  He's just a joke.  Mustang fans are used to it.  We've been  hated on for years.  And by hated, I mean envied." that makes it hard to stomach WOS.  I understand completely how he feels and I can promise you its not jealousy.  If you would spend less time at the helm of your program boasting about its greatness and calling out anyone who is not bowing to your greatness jealous then you probably wouldnt have people like AAW constantly looking to say something bad about your program.   

::)  The "greatness" of WO-S' football program is not seen by most, especially if you don't have boys that have gone through the program.  It's really not JUST about football.  I know that some of you may not understand it, but until you live in this district and these men/coaches have the impact that they do on most of these young men/athletes...you won't.  I know that there are some who boasts about WO-S' greatness, but I think that there are far more who simply don't give WO-S the credit they may deserve.  Our football program does still own the title Winningest Football Program in the State of Texas-all classifications and we do go to the playoffs most years.  We really don't need to BOAST about anything because our records speak for themselves, but don't misunderstand "boasting" and all the blab that we get accused of for just pride and coming to the defense of our program when need be.  But, we could post on here all day...and will still get blasted...that is something that we're used to.  Thanks for thinking about us!! ;)

in my opinion hooks has himself in a little bit of a pickle that he did nothing to cause. i think as an a.d., he should leave the matter up to his coach. if he doesn't like the way it is handled, then he can choose to do something about it...preferably after the season. the comments on here that make the most sense blame this mess on the girls and their parents. i would say it is about 25% girls and 75% parents. the girls are just that.....kids. the parents should know better. like was stated before, they made concessions where the girls could probably do both, but the parents seem to be too lazy or uninterested to accomplish this goal. this is being a very bad example for your kids. it's all about commitment. what does this tell these kids about life? that it's ok to skip work cause you would RATHER do something else?

this is crazy! 

First, W's campaign to get this thread moved is just another way of admitting he agrees that this is wrong and doesnt want it read.  If you cant argue the facts of the thread then the only thing left to do is argue the location of the thread.  Nice attempt but I hope most can see right through that.

As for the situation I think some people are getting way ahead of yourself.  I agree that what is going on is a terrible thing for the WOS program.  This should have never been allowed to go this far, but it has and I think that we need to wait and let the proper officials at WOS have a chance to get to the bottom of this.  To say that Dan Hooks has nothing to do with this and there is nothing he can do is crap.  He is the Athletic Director and has everything to do with this.  I am positive that he had nothing to do with decisions that the players have made.  I am also positive that he is just as disappointed in decsion that the players have made and can not and should not support their decisions.  I am doing my very best to keep my views and opinions to myself until I feel this matter is over.  I have faith that the officials in WOS will handle this properly.  Trust me, I will have no shortage of opinions and will have no problem speaking my peace once the time has come and I feel like it was not handled properly.  These are all just my thoughts on the matter and I thought I would share them with you.   

Mr Ryker, since you know so much, why don't you break down exactly what control over this situation you think Hooks has. Give us some examples of things he can do.

::)  The "greatness" of WO-S' football program is not seen by most, especially if you don't have boys that have gone through the program.  It's really not JUST about football.   I know that some of you may not understand it, but until you live in this district and these men/coaches have the impact that they do on most of these young men/athletes...you won't.  I know that there are some who boasts about WO-S' greatness, but I think that there are far more who simply don't give WO-S the credit they may deserve.  Our football program does still own the title Winningest Football Program in the State of Texas-all classifications and we do go to the playoffs most years.  We really don't need to BOAST about anything because our records speak for themselves, but don't misunderstand "boasting" and all the blab that we get accused of for just pride and coming to the defense of our program when need be.  But, we could post on here all day...and will still get blasted...that is something that we're used to.  Thanks for thinking about us!! ;)

Nice comments stang4life,

I highlighted your words of "It's really not JUST about football".  That statement is very true and I'm not talking about just at WOS...that statement should hold true anywhere.  In the past, the coaches at WOS have used football to teach life lessons and get kids on track with their lives.  It sounds to me like the new volleyball coach has turned around a program that hasn't won in two years into a very competitive above average 12-7 at this point in the season.  Does she not deserve the same respect and opportunity to teach life lessons as well? 

Another poster danced around the idea that "Let's be real honest, Girl's athletics don't matter as much as boys sports."  Please.  This is a story more about values than about volleyball.

How WOS handles this in the next week will tell the true story.

::)  The "greatness" of WO-S' football program is not seen by most, especially if you don't have boys that have gone through the program.  It's really not JUST about football.   I know that some of you may not understand it, but until you live in this district and these men/coaches have the impact that they do on most of these young men/athletes...you won't.  I know that there are some who boasts about WO-S' greatness, but I think that there are far more who simply don't give WO-S the credit they may deserve.  Our football program does still own the title Winningest Football Program in the State of Texas-all classifications and we do go to the playoffs most years.  We really don't need to BOAST about anything because our records speak for themselves, but don't misunderstand "boasting" and all the blab that we get accused of for just pride and coming to the defense of our program when need be.  But, we could post on here all day...and will still get blasted...that is something that we're used to.  Thanks for thinking about us!! ;)

Nice comments stang4life,

I highlighted your words of "It's really not JUST about football".  That statement is very true and I'm not talking about just at WOS...that statement should hold true anywhere.  In the past, the coaches at WOS have used football to teach life lessons and get kids on track with their lives.  It sounds to me like the new volleyball coach has turned around a program that hasn't won in two years into a very competitive above average 12-7 at this point in the season.  Does she not deserve the same respect and opportunity to teach life lessons as well? 

Another poster danced around the idea that "Let's be real honest, Girl's athletics don't matter as much as boys sports."  Please.  This is a story more about values than about volleyball.

How WOS handles this in the next week will tell the true story.

I'm not dancing around the issue.  Personally I have been to one volleyball game.  It was WOS vs. BC and the only reason I went is because there was a gril at BC that I was dating.  I watched the women's beach volleyball in the Olympics because they were making history and that is why the TV networks decided to put them on TV.  How many people watch the WBNA? 

"Let's be real honest, Girl's athletics don't matter as much as boys sports." 

To Whom does Girl Athletics not matter to.?  Tell us who these people are.

It matters greatly to the girls who work hard for the sport they choose to play.  It matters greatly to those who teach and train them for their sport. And it matters greatly to those who support and watch them play.

So when they sign up to play, they need the same disclipline that is expected of boys regarding committment. 

What would Hooks do if one of his starters missed a game to sing the National anthem at a vollyball game?  As AD he should see that this is treated equally because he gets paid to direct all sports. 

BTW--the VB coach should be docked or pro-rated for missing the VB game and I hope she buys a ticket to get into Brookshire instead of using a coaching pass.  Its the principle of the matter.

It matters greatly to the girls who work hard for the sport they choose to play.  It matters greatly to those who teach and train them for their sport. And it matters greatly to those who support and watch them play.

So when they sign up to play, they need the same disclipline that is expected of boys regarding committment. 

What would Hooks do if one of his starters missed a game to sing the National anthem at a vollyball game?  As AD he should see that this is treated equally because he gets paid to direct all sports. 

BTW--the VB coach should be docked or pro-rated for missing the VB game and I hope she buys a ticket to get into Brookshire instead of using a coaching pass.  Its the principle of the matter.

Although, I agree with what your saying about commitment, I don't think this had anything to do with VB coach.  Her no comment actually translates to "I cannot speak about this because I'm really pissed and  will lose my job for telling my real opinion".  ;D  ;D

just curious....IF these girls are allowed to stay on the team.....what happens the next Friday or when WOS football has a big rivalry game or something...it's obvious where the girls (or their parents) want  to be ....why pull this for this game??

Although, I agree with what your saying about commitment, I don't think this had anything to do with VB coach.  Her no comment actually translates to "I cannot speak about this because I'm really pissed and  will lose my job for telling my real opinion".   ;D   ;D

You never know who it had to do with.  ;)

Although, I agree with what your saying about commitment, I don't think this had anything to do with VB coach.  Her no comment actually translates to "I cannot speak about this because I'm really pissed and  will lose my job for telling my real opinion".   ;D   ;D

You never know who it had to do with;)

You know something we don't  ???  ???