WOS Volleyball forfeits district game for football game/Game rescheduled!!!

Bobcat1

I understand you need to plan but a lot of the kids at WOS rely solely on the bus system for transportation because parents are unable to do so. They should be punished for it? These kids are being punished for being involved in extracurricular activities...

i'm sure they planned for bringing a bus to the vb game. why can't they plan on having one to bring them to the fb game afterwards. they could've made it work. that is the bottom line. it's not rocket science. it's like the just said the heck with it and gave up.

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Orange to Brookshire....147 Miles, 2 Hours, 32 Minutes, that's with no Houston or Katy Traffic.

so what you're saying is there's plenty of time to make it by halftime. thanks.

That's traveling in a car with no traffic not a bus that goes 55mph and traffic.

Ok, I understand that the football game can still go on with less cheerleaders and Fillies. I understand that the volleyball game cannot go on with less girls. I agree it was poor planning. The coach should have noticed that at the beginning of the season or when ever the schedule was made. The only thing I am saying is that the coach could have made some sort of decision for the girls. She could have possibly told them that since they were agreeing to forfiet the game that heir varsity position could be taken or something. She could have made some sort of consequence for the non attendance. Also, do the cheerleaders and Fillies get a grade for the involvement? I know the volleyball girls are in Athletics which is an actual report card grade. It seems the graded participation should be important to them also.

I just wish it would be taken just for the situation and not mostly because it is WOS. Would this thread be so long if it were another school? Probably not...

Ok, I understand that the football game can still go on with less cheerleaders and Fillies. I understand that the volleyball game cannot go on with less girls. I agree it was poor planning. The coach should have noticed that at the beginning of the season or when ever the schedule was made. The only thing I am saying is that the coach could have made some sort of decision for the girls. She could have possibly told them that since they were agreeing to forfiet the game that heir varsity position could be taken or something. She could have made some sort of consequence for the non attendance. Also, do the cheerleaders and Fillies get a grade for the involvement? I know the volleyball girls are in Athletics which is an actual report card grade. It seems the graded participation should be important to them also.

I just wish it would be taken just for the situation and not mostly because it is WOS. Would this thread be so long if it were another school? Probably not...

i don't think it has ANYTHING to do with wos. at least it doesn't to me. when is the last time a varsity team of any kind forfeited because some of the players WANTED to do something else. that's the bottom line. i'm sure there are some posting just because it is wos, but that's not my issue at all. it just doesn't happen.

great point! i say not only boot em off the team but put their gpa at risk....maybe that will wake em up!

They get a cheerleading grade and drill team grade as well.  To those who think I want this thread moved because I don't want it talked about is not correct.  I wanted it moved because it doesn't have anything to do with the WOS football TEAM.

And it is my opinion that if it were another school other than WOS, it would not have garnered as much talk.  Gabe said it himself that he wrote about a baseball game last year.  Where's the thread on that?

Other schools have the same dilemma, but you don't hear of them forfeiting their games, they play the early game then the cheerleaders leave for the game. They might arrive late but they gone on to the field to cheer, but they played their volleyball game.

But Gabe said last night that he had reported of a forfeit last year by another team for a similar reason.  I hate to have to go back and read all these pages to find the post.  Page 6 or 7, somewhere along there.

Other schools have the same dilemma, but you don't hear of them forfeiting their games, they play the early game then the cheerleaders leave for the game. They might arrive late but they gone on to the field to cheer, but they played their volleyball game.

But Gabe said last night that he had reported of a forfeit last year by another team for a similar reason.  I hate to have to go back and read all these pages to find the post.  Page 6 or 7, somewhere along there.

Gabe reported of the baseball situation between Hamshire-Fannett and Bridge City. It's probably in last year's baseball forum.

They get a cheerleading grade and drill team grade as well.  To those who think I want this thread moved because I don't want it talked about is not correct.  I wanted it moved because it doesn't have anything to do with the WOS football TEAM.

And it is my opinion that if it were another school other than WOS, it would not have garnered as much talk.  Gabe said it himself that he wrote about a baseball game last year.  Where's the thread on that?

And it is my opinion that if it were another school other than WOS, it would not have garnered as much talk.

Your correct!!

They get a cheerleading grade and drill team grade as well.  To those who think I want this thread moved because I don't want it talked about is not correct.  I wanted it moved because it doesn't have anything to do with the WOS football TEAM.

And it is my opinion that if it were another school other than WOS, it would not have garnered as much talk.   Gabe said it himself that he wrote about a baseball game last year.  Where's the thread on that?

First, this LONG thread has both positive and negative post on it.  It has NOTHING (JMO) to do with WOS, it's about the situation and how it WAS handled and how it SHOULD have or COULD have been handled.  The only negative post I have seen is on the girls that left their team.  I think WOS has a great football program, but I'm starting to think the WOS fans are WAY to emotional.   :'(

And it is my opinion that if it were another school other than WOS, it would not have garnered as much talk.   Gabe said it himself that he wrote about a baseball game last year.  Where's the thread on that?

First, this LONG thread has both positive and negative post on it.  It has NOTHING (JMO) to do with WOS, it's about the situation and how it WAS handled and how it SHOULD have or COULD have been handled.  The only negative post I have seen is on the girls that left their team.  I think WOS has a great football program, but I'm starting to think the WOS fans are WAY to emotional.   :'(

Starting to think? You should have come to me sooner hippy. I could have clued you in. ;) ;D

Starting to think? You should have come to me sooner hippy. I could have clued you in. ;) ;D

LMAO  ;D

ditto. i'm not sure why they are so touchy. most posts aren't bashing wos, just stating that this was handled in the wrong way. i'm hoping things change before tomorrow. the situation has little to do w/ wos football, that's for sure. maybe they are worried about bad karma.  ;D

I can't believe I just read 12 pages of this. 

The one thing that WosGrad typed that I did not agree with is the was the AggiesAreWe isn't a WOS hater.  This was Christmas come early to him.  His hatred has made him famous.  Congrats buddy, you are a message board Rock Star.  He doesn't respect the program or Dan Hooks.  He is envious.  Its rather close in comparison, but it is definitely envy.  I'm sure he does root for the Mustangs because he is a football fan and needs something to do in November and December when his school is no longer playing.  Its just like Cowboys fans, just because the Cowboys are not in the playoffs you still watch.  You find a team, maybe the same division or conference and you run with them just like they are your own.  But you aren't really a fan.  You are just bored and next year when the slate is clean, you go back to your Cowboys and you start complaining about the team you followed in the playoffs.  That is what he does.  He says he just does it to get at the "homers" or to get COOP all excited.  We aren't buying it.  He's just a joke.  Mustang fans are used to it.  We've been  hated on for years.  And by hated, I mean envied.

My favorite part of reading all of these pages was when COOP told AggiesAreWe "I know more than you!"

I disagree with you on this matter.  I dont think that the issue is that he or anyone else on here is jealous of your program.  AAW is a very opiniated person that not only has no problem speaking his mind but I think enjoys giving you his opinion about a matter.  AAW enjoying debating football and is looking for anyone that is willing to spare with him.  I think that your arrogance is calling him out more so than he is hating on your program.  I have no beef with WOS football and want to support it very much, but its comments like this "We aren't buying it.  He's just a joke.  Mustang fans are used to it.  We've been  hated on for years.  And by hated, I mean envied." that makes it hard to stomach WOS.  I understand completely how he feels and I can promise you its not jealousy.  If you would spend less time at the helm of your program boasting about its greatness and calling out anyone who is not bowing to your greatness jealous then you probably wouldnt have people like AAW constantly looking to say something bad about your program.   

::)  The "greatness" of WO-S' football program is not seen by most, especially if you don't have boys that have gone through the program.  It's really not JUST about football.   I know that some of you may not understand it, but until you live in this district and these men/coaches have the impact that they do on most of these young men/athletes...you won't.  I know that there are some who boasts about WO-S' greatness, but I think that there are far more who simply don't give WO-S the credit they may deserve.  Our football program does still own the title Winningest Football Program in the State of Texas-all classifications and we do go to the playoffs most years.  We really don't need to BOAST about anything because our records speak for themselves, but don't misunderstand "boasting" and all the blab that we get accused of for just pride and coming to the defense of our program when need be.  But, we could post on here all day...and will still get blasted...that is something that we're used to.  Thanks for thinking about us!! ;)

Nice comments stang4life,

I highlighted your words of "It's really not JUST about football".  That statement is very true and I'm not talking about just at WOS...that statement should hold true anywhere.  In the past, the coaches at WOS have used football to teach life lessons and get kids on track with their lives.  It sounds to me like the new volleyball coach has turned around a program that hasn't won in two years into a very competitive above average 12-7 at this point in the season.  Does she not deserve the same respect and opportunity to teach life lessons as well? 

Another poster danced around the idea that "Let's be real honest, Girl's athletics don't matter as much as boys sports."  Please.  This is a story more about values than about volleyball.

How WOS handles this in the next week will tell the true story.

Slam, you are assuming that she isn't getting the same opportunity to teach these life lessons. We don't know if she agrees or disagrees with this.

What you quoted was somewhat out of context as I remember it. I'm not interested enough to go back and find the quote so I may be wrong. If I am wrong I fully expect you and 20 other people to let me know.  ;D The other poster stated that it was obvious that girls athletics didn't matter as much and used attendance by fans at the games as an example of people showing that they weren't as important. I don't think (and I hope I'm right) that most people feel like that. I know I don't and I know you don't.

"Let's be real honest, Girl's athletics don't matter as much as boys sports." 

To Whom does Girl Athletics not matter to.?  Tell us who these people are.

It matters greatly to the girls who work hard for the sport they choose to play.  It matters greatly to those who teach and train them for their sport. And it matters greatly to those who support and watch them play.

So when they sign up to play, they need the same disclipline that is expected of boys regarding committment. 

What would Hooks do if one of his starters missed a game to sing the National anthem at a vollyball game?  As AD he should see that this is treated equally because he gets paid to direct all sports. 

BTW--the VB coach should be docked or pro-rated for missing the VB game and I hope she buys a ticket to get into Brookshire instead of using a coaching pass.  Its the principle of the matter.

Although, I agree with what your saying about commitment, I don't think this had anything to do with VB coach.  Her no comment actually translates to "I cannot speak about this because I'm really pissed and  will lose my job for telling my real opinion".   ;D   ;D

Are you sure about this statement?

this is crazy! 

First, W's campaign to get this thread moved is just another way of admitting he agrees that this is wrong and doesnt want it read.  If you cant argue the facts of the thread then the only thing left to do is argue the location of the thread.  Nice attempt but I hope most can see right through that.

As for the situation I think some people are getting way ahead of yourself.  I agree that what is going on is a terrible thing for the WOS program.  This should have never been allowed to go this far, but it has and I think that we need to wait and let the proper officials at WOS have a chance to get to the bottom of this.  To say that Dan Hooks has nothing to do with this and there is nothing he can do is crap.  He is the Athletic Director and has everything to do with this.  I am positive that he had nothing to do with decisions that the players have made.  I am also positive that he is just as disappointed in decsion that the players have made and can not and should not support their decisions.  I am doing my very best to keep my views and opinions to myself until I feel this matter is over.  I have faith that the officials in WOS will handle this properly.  Trust me, I will have no shortage of opinions and will have no problem speaking my peace once the time has come and I feel like it was not handled properly.  These are all just my thoughts on the matter and I thought I would share them with you.   

Mr Ryker, since you know so much, why don't you break down exactly what control over this situation you think Hooks has. Give us some examples of things he can do.

I dont know, I am not an AD or am I even going to prented I am.  I just know that at every other program I have been involved with the AD is in charge of all althletics and what goes on with athletics inlcuding the volleyball program.  If this is not the case at WOS and he is not capable of handling such a situation then let me know and Ill gladly retract my statments.  I just assumed he was, thanks.

There are 4 different school organizations involved in this situation. Three he has no control over, and as far as I know, no AD has control over the Band, Drill Team or Cheerleaders. The one of the 4 that he can affect is the Volleyball team. Now, you made some pretty bold statements in your post above... Don't cower down now. YOU tell us what he can do with the volleyball program to control this situation. Keep in mind that this is a highschool, not a prison, and all participation is voluntary... voluntary means you have a choice to decide which one you participate in.

With that in mind, please proceed...

There's ALOT of Schools where only one sport matters!

good point coop, in 21-3a let's name the one sport that matters.

wos- football and softball

bc-softball, football and baseball

of-girls basketball, girls softball

hj-girls and boys basketball, girls and boys baseball, football

hf-not sure

silsbee-If it moves their fans will support it

fill in the blank on the school's sport that matter, girls or boys.

I put in red what i have witnessed in regards to support.

WOS baseball is coming back baby!!!!!

A post a while back in the Volleyball forum cited the problem of the Friday night conflict.

Now it seems it has gotten a little attention all of a sudden. As a parent of a multi sports playing kid, I still cannot understand the schools overlapping their programs and schedules as if all kids are not capable of more than one sport. Been dealing with this for years now.....Change the Volleyball to Monday, Thursday, and it will help the matter at hand.  WOS- At Least Show up for your District Schedules!!!!

Not trying to deflect but I don't think at LCM you can Cheer and play VB. I never understood that until now.

"Let's be real honest, Girl's athletics don't matter as much as boys sports." 

To Whom does Girl Athletics not matter to.?  Tell us who these people are.

It matters greatly to the girls who work hard for the sport they choose to play.  It matters greatly to those who teach and train them for their sport. And it matters greatly to those who support and watch them play.

So when they sign up to play, they need the same disclipline that is expected of boys regarding committment. 

What would Hooks do if one of his starters missed a game to sing the National anthem at a vollyball game?  As AD he should see that this is treated equally because he gets paid to direct all sports. 

BTW--the VB coach should be docked or pro-rated for missing the VB game and I hope she buys a ticket to get into Brookshire instead of using a coaching pass.  Its the principle of the matter.

Although, I agree with what your saying about commitment, I don't think this had anything to do with VB coach.  Her no comment actually translates to "I cannot speak about this because I'm really pissed and  will lose my job for telling my real opinion".   ;D   ;D

Are you sure about this statement?

Nope.....but it will look pretty bad if the volleyball coach agreed to walk away........don't ya think??