WOS Volleyball forfeits district game for football game/Game rescheduled!!!

Bobcat1

Wow!!!! 23 pages. Amazing! Let's see if I can recap this so the new readers can catch up! OK.  WOS varsity volleyball players decide to cheer and dance at the football game instead of playing the V-game. V-Game is a forfeit. JV not eligible to move up and play varsity because V-coach is cheer sponsor and will attend F-game. Dan Hooks says " Parents of the missing V-girls tell him they will be at the F-game" and there is nothing he can do. Some guy says don't blame the "king" (didn't know Elvis was dead).  Accusations fly about deleted post and name calling begins with such words as "Mike" and "Randy". Posters re-live their past of being multi-taskers like "East Tx". OU Still Sucks!!!. Fields might be too wet to cheer or dance. Volleyball court is dry with no people. Some hippy makes most the sense out of all posters. Keyser sets a new SETXSports record with the most smites in one night for posting this reply. There now. That's how I see it......   

Great recap ;)

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!!! 23 pages. Amazing! Let's see if I can recap this so the new readers can catch up! OK.  WOS varsity volleyball players decide to cheer and dance at the football game instead of playing the V-game. V-Game is a forfeit. JV not eligible to move up and play varsity because V-coach is cheer sponsor and will attend F-game. Dan Hooks says " Parents of the missing V-girls tell him they will be at the F-game" and there is nothing he can do. Some guy says don't blame the "king" (didn't know Elvis was dead).  Accusations fly about deleted post and name calling begins with such words as "Mike" and "Randy". Posters re-live their past of being multi-taskers like "East Tx". OU Still Sucks!!!. Fields might be too wet to cheer or dance. Volleyball court is dry with no people. Some hippy makes most the sense out of all posters. Keyser sets a new SETXSports record with the most smites in one night for posting this reply. There now. That's how I see it......   

That pretty much sums it up.  Oh and the WOS posters keep saying everyone hates them. ;)

That pretty much sums it up.  Oh and the WOS posters keep saying everyone hates them. ;)

Not me! Everyone loves me.  ;D  ;D  ;D

Great recap!  Now...if we keep this one post we can delete the other 23 pages and save room on the server!  ;D

I love you man!    ;D :'(

I love you man!    ;D :'(

I can always count on you!

Breaking News

Mid County Madness officials are considering postponing this weeks game to later in the season.  Not because of the weather, but due to the fact that MCM is not this weeks "Big Story" 

ROTFLOL.......Too funny!!!!  They got sheisted by a girls vb forfeit!  What's up with that? :D

I can't believe I just read 12 pages of this. 

This is my take:

It is all about declining numbers in attendance.  WOS just doesn't have enough students that want to be involved in extracurricular to fulfill all of the sports and other activities. 

Blame Dan Hooks?  Are you serious?  That is the dumbest thing that has been said.  He has alot of "power" at WOS, but at the end of the day it is up to the students and most importantly THEIR PARENTS.

WOS might emphasize football, but what school that competes the way the we do doesn't.  I think that they girls are abandonding their team, but they are also committed to other groups.  Groups that they take pride in and have worked hard to be a contributing member of.  These young ladies take enough pride in their school to be part of different activies and unfortunately someone has to suffer. 

Let's be real honest.  Girls athletics don't matter as much as boys' sports. (By that I mean, people coming to watch that aren't related or media coverage and talk in the community)  I'm not being sexist, it just the truth.  Sad but true.  The only time it gets the press or people talking about them is when they do something special.  Nobody cared about WOS softball until Ragsdale put together some winning teams and were taking them to the playoffs for the first time.  I actually went to a baseball game that was being played after the softball game and the stands were packed.  I was shocked, because that doesn't happen.  A few years ago when the Trahan girl was taking LCM to State, that was the big talk in the papers and around town.  Other than that you don't really hear too much about girls sports.  It has to be a milestone that is being achieved.

WosGrad and Gasilla, nice post as usual.

The one thing that WosGrad typed that I did not agree with is the was the AggiesAreWe isn't a WOS hater.  This was Christmas come early to him.  His hatred has made him famous.  Congrats buddy, you are a message board Rock Star.  He doesn't respect the program or Dan Hooks.  He is envious.  Its rather close in comparison, but it is definitely envy.  I'm sure he does root for the Mustangs because he is a football fan and needs something to do in November and December when his school is no longer playing.  Its just like Cowboys fans, just because the Cowboys are not in the playoffs you still watch.  You find a team, maybe the same division or conference and you run with them just like they are your own.  But you aren't really a fan.  You are just bored and next year when the slate is clean, you go back to your Cowboys and you start complaining about the team you followed in the playoffs.  That is what he does.  He says he just does it to get at the "homers" or to get COOP all excited.  We aren't buying it.  He's just a joke.  Mustang fans are used to it.  We've been  hated on for years.  And by hated, I mean envied.

My favorite part of reading all of these pages was when COOP told AggiesAreWe "I know more than you think!"

Better was AAW telling Coop "I think more than you know"

Guest bleed orange

I can't believe I just read 12 pages of this. 

The one thing that WosGrad typed that I did not agree with is the was the AggiesAreWe isn't a WOS hater.  This was Christmas come early to him.  His hatred has made him famous.  Congrats buddy, you are a message board Rock Star.  He doesn't respect the program or Dan Hooks.  He is envious.  Its rather close in comparison, but it is definitely envy.  I'm sure he does root for the Mustangs because he is a football fan and needs something to do in November and December when his school is no longer playing.  Its just like Cowboys fans, just because the Cowboys are not in the playoffs you still watch.  You find a team, maybe the same division or conference and you run with them just like they are your own.  But you aren't really a fan.  You are just bored and next year when the slate is clean, you go back to your Cowboys and you start complaining about the team you followed in the playoffs.  That is what he does.  He says he just does it to get at the "homers" or to get COOP all excited.  We aren't buying it.  He's just a joke.  Mustang fans are used to it.  We've been  hated on for years.  And by hated, I mean envied.

My favorite part of reading all of these pages was when COOP told AggiesAreWe "I know more than you!"

I disagree with you on this matter.  I dont think that the issue is that he or anyone else on here is jealous of your program.  AAW is a very opiniated person that not only has no problem speaking his mind but I think enjoys giving you his opinion about a matter.  AAW enjoying debating football and is looking for anyone that is willing to spare with him.  I think that your arrogance is calling him out more so than he is hating on your program.  I have no beef with WOS football and want to support it very much, but its comments like this "We aren't buying it.  He's just a joke.  Mustang fans are used to it.  We've been  hated on for years.  And by hated, I mean envied." that makes it hard to stomach WOS.  I understand completely how he feels and I can promise you its not jealousy.  If you would spend less time at the helm of your program boasting about its greatness and calling out anyone who is not bowing to your greatness jealous then you probably wouldnt have people like AAW constantly looking to say something bad about your program.   

::)  The "greatness" of WO-S' football program is not seen by most, especially if you don't have boys that have gone through the program.  It's really not JUST about football.   I know that some of you may not understand it, but until you live in this district and these men/coaches have the impact that they do on most of these young men/athletes...you won't.  I know that there are some who boasts about WO-S' greatness, but I think that there are far more who simply don't give WO-S the credit they may deserve.  Our football program does still own the title Winningest Football Program in the State of Texas-all classifications and we do go to the playoffs most years.  We really don't need to BOAST about anything because our records speak for themselves, but don't misunderstand "boasting" and all the blab that we get accused of for just pride and coming to the defense of our program when need be.  But, we could post on here all day...and will still get blasted...that is something that we're used to.  Thanks for thinking about us!! ;)

Nice comments stang4life,

I highlighted your words of "It's really not JUST about football".  That statement is very true and I'm not talking about just at WOS...that statement should hold true anywhere.  In the past, the coaches at WOS have used football to teach life lessons and get kids on track with their lives.  It sounds to me like the new volleyball coach has turned around a program that hasn't won in two years into a very competitive above average 12-7 at this point in the season.  Does she not deserve the same respect and opportunity to teach life lessons as well? 

Another poster danced around the idea that "Let's be real honest, Girl's athletics don't matter as much as boys sports."  Please.  This is a story more about values than about volleyball.

How WOS handles this in the next week will tell the true story.

Slam, you are assuming that she isn't getting the same opportunity to teach these life lessons. We don't know if she agrees or disagrees with this.

What you quoted was somewhat out of context as I remember it. I'm not interested enough to go back and find the quote so I may be wrong. If I am wrong I fully expect you and 20 other people to let me know.  ;D The other poster stated that it was obvious that girls athletics didn't matter as much and used attendance by fans at the games as an example of people showing that they weren't as important. I don't think (and I hope I'm right) that most people feel like that. I know I don't and I know you don't.

td,

I'm not assuming that she's not getting the same opportunities to teach life lessons, I'm saying that this IS ONE opportunity that seems to be taken from her.  We can only assume her position by her "no comment".

You are right in the fact that I may have taken that posters quote "somewhat" out of context.    ;D  I apologize to the poster, but I didn't think her explanation quantified the statement. 

I guess in a nutshell my point is that only the tiniest fraction of high school athletes will ever be able to use sports as an income or living.  (Some go on to bigger and better things like their own insurance business.   ;))  With that in mind, for the overwhelming majority of high school athletes, the most important part of their playing days are the life lessons and camaraderie with teammates and coaches.  I'm sure you have a million stories about WOS baseball.  What if your most memorable moment on the diamond had not taken place because the game had been forfeited?

This is a story about poor planning and not taking care of business ahead of time.     

Good post Slam. I agree!!!!!!

On a serious note, it seems to me that the best arguments regarding this situation have been the ones that differentiate between volleyball, as a competitive team sport, and cheerleading/drill team as purely noncompetitive extra-curricular activities. Perhaps there should be a rule that says if you play volleyball, you can't participate in the other ones that conflict. Or at the very least there should be a hierarchy such that when there is a conflict, the team sport should prevail and there not be a choice so as not to hurt the other members of the team that is forced to forfeit.

Someone suggested that Hooks as AD should do something. Since there is apparently no rule on the subject, it doesn't seem fair to suggest that he can do anything about this instance, nor would it be fair to punish the girls or their parents that made this choice. If anything, Hooks would seem to be in a position to initiate whatever proceeding would decide whether to adopt such a rule so that this situation doesn't happen in the future.

I don't mind so much the hating on WO-S - greatness inspires jealousy and envy. I just wish some of the haters would have the guts to admit it ;)

Sooo, whats this all about?..... ;D

Guest bleed orange

Game is not being played!!!!!!! Move on!!!!!!!!

Sorry Coop but if this was about any other school you would let it go on and on. See, I don't think people are "Haters". Only you guys do. I can promise you Vidor gets more hits then WOS. I think people admire WOS football program and most boys sports. This is about the girls and that is the problem. Plain and simple WOS does not support the girls unless they are winning. I have seen it first hand. Sometimes they don't support them when they are winning. By WOS not playing this game they have basically given up on the season. What are we teaching our young people. When things get tough, give up. Stang4life, I liked your post and understand because I do believe that the football coaches at WOS have made a positive impact in young men lives. I applaud that. It's old school and that is what I am all about. This is about young women. You had all boys. Girls need that same impact so that they can make it in  life without a man. Not playing was not the answer IMO.

Guest rykerx144

Just got word the game has been resch. for the end of the season.

oh great!!  Now some Cheerleaders decide not to play a game when it is scheduled because it don't fit into their "Bring it ON" lifestyle and they are afraid someone in the community might not get to see them jump up and down on the track partially clothed in some bloomers with their butts showing and the rest of the district has to reschedule games to satisfy their needs!  I guess that makes sense in today's world!

Guest rykerx144

Game is not being played!!!!!!! Move on!!!!!!!!

Just got word the game has been resch. for the end of the season.

Ok--I am confused--does this also mean that it will not rain this week-end?   :-\ :)

no we are all banking that he know more about the weather than he does sports! 

;D ;)  jk hehe

after reading all 20 some odd pages.....(ad nauseum)..... it is apparent to me that what we have is a difference in expectations from school district to school district.  This is not a case of necessarily good or bad, just different values.  Coach Dan Hooks has a tremendous record on the football field and in the hearts of his alumni. This cannot be denied.  The WOS family is apparently happy with the way he runs the athletic department.  This being said, most area districts would not be happy with their athletic department (not talking football here) being run as WOS's department is operated. WOS would not necessarily like the way say LCM, BC, OF, or other area districts run their athletic departments.  Once again this is not a good/bad decision, just a difference of values.  LCM has a proud tradition of strong Baseball, Softball, Golf, Volleyball teams. Any AD messing with these programs does so at his/her peril.  BC with Baseball, Softball, Cross Country, Volleyball success has a similar situation.  OF has traditionally had a strong girls program in many sports as well as the boys sports.  Four different schools with four different sets of values although many of those values are similar.  At the other three districts it would be totally unacceptable for the volleyball team to forfeit a district game to attend a football game.  At WOS it is acceptable.  This is a WOS situation and their folks can agree or take it to Coach Hooks and or the Administration.  Again, not good or bad just different  :-\

after reading all 20 some odd pages.....(ad nauseum)..... it is apparent to me that what we have is a difference in expectations from school district to school district.  This is not a case of necessarily good or bad, just different values.  Coach Dan Hooks has a tremendous record on the football field and in the hearts of his alumni. This cannot be denied.  The WOS family is apparently happy with the way he runs the athletic department.  This being said, most area districts would not be happy with their athletic department (not talking football here) being run as WOS's department is operated. WOS would not necessarily like the way say LCM, BC, OF, or other area districts run their athletic departments.  Once again this is not a good/bad decision, just a difference of values.  LCM has a proud tradition of strong Baseball, Softball, Golf, Volleyball teams. Any AD messing with these programs does so at his/her peril.  BC with Baseball, Softball, Cross Country, Volleyball success has a similar situation.  OF has traditionally had a strong girls program in many sports as well as the boys sports.  Four different schools with four different sets of values although many of those values are similar.  At the other three districts it would be totally unacceptable for the volleyball team to forfeit a district game to attend a football game.  At WOS it is acceptable.  This is a WOS situation and their folks can agree or take it to Coach Hooks and or the Administration.  Again, not good or bad just different  :-\

Pretty well sums it up.

Guest bleed orange

One more thing and I am done. Young women need the same lessons young men need. Society says young men are the bread winners in most cases. Times have changed. Young women get pregnant. Don't marry father of child so that the government can provide medical, dental, food, diapers, formula and much more.(Wick) There is no "Consequences" for your actions any more. Young women need the same character builder these young men are getting. This is happening in all races. Again, what are teaching our young people?

H-J should be applauded for making concessions to a team that is obviously not interested in the sport, if in fact they have rescheduled the game for the end of the season  so these few can have their way. I would feel differently had they been struck with illness or something beyond their control.