WOS Volleyball forfeits district game for football game/Game rescheduled!!!

Bobcat1

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, it's so stooopid that the VB games are on Fri nights anyway.  They should have never changed the season to match up with football.  It seemed ok where it was yrs. ago.      It puts an undue strain on school personnel, plus, some parents have to choose between the sports.  Just poor planning if you ask me.........but I know.................you didn't ask.  :-\

IMO, it's so stooopid that the VB games are on Fri nights anyway.  They should have never changed the season to match up with football.  It seemed ok where it was yrs. ago.       It puts an undue strain on school personnel, plus, some parents have to choose between the sports.  Just poor planning if you ask me.........but I know.................you didn't ask.   :-\

I agree with you PNG Proud, just play on Thursday. 

I have a question. I know nothing about HS Volleyball or any kind of ball at WOS but, is there a JV team? If so, case closed by kicking the girls off and move up JV players.

Then who would play on the JV team?  The way volleyball is played is the Freshman play first then the JV and lastly the Varsity.  There are normally only 9 or 10 players on each team.

For me, its about commitments.  These girls have multiple commitments.  They have a commitments to the volleyball team and the cheerleading squad or to the drill team and volleyball team.  Their commitment is not to the football team and to say they are choosing football over volleyball is probably a little unfair.  Kids at small schools get pulled a lot of different directions. To get down on the kids or the parents when they chose one activity over another is a little much in my opinion.

So how do you choose?

The football team can have 3 cheerleaders, and the drill team can have 7 less dancers, but the VB team cannot play with 3 people.  And to someone elses point, they could play at 4 and be there by 1/2 time if they planned it.

that says it all right there. they wouldn't be letting down the football team by having a few less cheerleaders and drill team members. they ARE letting down the volleyball team. i can only lay the blame at the parents feet. kids at this age don't always make the right decisions. the parents job is to help them and steer them in the right direction. that obviously didn't happen here. as to them only having 9 or 10 on each team...that would only be a problem this week and they could make it work. i guarantee that there are some girls that didn't make any of the teams that would jump to get on any team they could.

I have a question. I know nothing about HS Volleyball or any kind of ball at WOS but, is there a JV team? If so, case closed by kicking the girls off and move up JV players.

Then who would play on the JV team?  The way volleyball is played is the Freshman play first then the JV and lastly the Varsity.  There are normally only 9 or 10 players on each team.

OK! Move the JV up and replace JV with Freshman. Kick the Varsity girls off. Play the girls that are dedicated. If you don't have enough to make up three teams well, that's how it is. Try and recruit more Freshman.

Question for those that are outraged and think the girls that chose one activity over the other should be booted from the volleyball team:

If they chose the other way would you feel they should be booted from drill team or cheerleading?  Who decides which activity takes precedence?  Are you advocating limiting student to one activity at a time?

It sucks that these young women can't be at two places at once, but those are the laws of the universe.  I for one am happy that the girls made the decision which activity they wanted to participate instead of someone else making it for them.

I remember a particular Saturday when I was a youngster in school in which we had a baseball tournament, a powerlifting meet, and an academic competition.  All in different cities.  I had to choose and I would have be heartbroken to be ousted from the two teams I did not accompany.

I was wondering when someone at WOS would do something wrong to get Aggies Are We started up on the WOS hate stuff.

Thanks Hotrodg for your post.

As I stated in another thread...this isn't the first time something like this has happened.  Soccer players left a baseball tournament in DeRidder, LA to come back home to play a soccer game.  Coach was mad, but put jv players or bench sitters in the place of the starters.  Kids want to participate in multiple events and sometimes they have to make a choice.  I'm not saying that the choice they made is right, I'm saying don't make a big deal out of it just because it's at WOS and football.  It's happened other places, too.

I was wondering when someone at WOS would do something wrong to get Aggies Are We started up on the WOS hate stuff.

Thanks Hotrodg for your post.

As I stated in another thread...this isn't the first time something like this has happened.  Soccer players left a baseball tournament in DeRidder, LA to come back home to play a soccer game.  Coach was mad, but put jv players or bench sitters in the place of the starters.  Kids want to participate in multiple events and sometimes they have to make a choice.  I'm not saying that the choice they made is right, I'm saying don't make a big deal out of it just because it's at WOS and football.  It's happened other places, too.

I did a story similar to this when HF would not play BC in baseball last year

freshman moved up to JV if you want a JV team..

but in reality the only team that really matters is the varsity team..

(didn't mean to make that sound bad but idk how else to put it)

Question for those that are outraged and think the girls that chose one activity over the other should be booted from the volleyball team:

If they chose the other way would you feel they should be booted from drill team or cheerleading?  Who decides which activity takes precedence?  Are you advocating limiting student to one activity at a time?

It sucks that these young women can't be at two places at once, but those are the laws of the universe.  I for one am happy that the girls made the decision which activity they wanted to participate instead of someone else making it for them.

I remember a particular Saturday when I was a youngster in school in which we had a baseball tournament, a powerlifting meet, and an academic competition.  All in different cities.  I had to choose and I would have be heartbroken to be ousted from the two teams I did not accompany.

Great post!

Obviously the point that's being missed here is that a game is being forfeited, a district game at that, not playing it shorthanded. The volleyball team isn't being given the chance to put bench warmers or JV players like the ones you mention in the baseball/soccer situation. The decision is to forfeit. That's a much different point than the one you are making.

That baseball game you speak of was not a district game. This to me is what sets these two apart.

" Are you advocating limiting student to one activity at a time? " If a player made the choice to miss a game that could result in a forfeit to attend another event that their participation had nothing to do with that game well, Yes is the answer to your question.

Monday and Thursday would be best.

I agree, I would much rather see them play on Mondays and Thursdays.

Why was it changed from years past?

Mike you are getting good at deleting my post off!

Let me try again......

"Mike since you know so much about everything, go get you a UIL rule book and read it.  It talks about how many games you can play from Monday to Thursday".

First of all Randy Ragsdale, I did not delete your post.

Also, jealousy will shorten your life. ;)

The fact of the matter is this is not a cheerleading competition or drill team competition; it is a football game.  The boys are competing.  

If there was no drill team, cheerleaders, band are even fans in the stands the football game would go on.

Some of the examples mentioned on here were of kids choosing one competition (they were competing in) over another competition (they were competing in).  The difference being they were participants in the events and not spectators.  The girls need to compete in their sport, plain and simple.