*Vidor at Central/JAGS WIN IN 2 OVERTIMES!!!Rebroadcast today at 2!

Guest JoesBros

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing left to say about this game... Best game I've ever seen

Anymore doubters from the weak non-district schedule?

Still think he got in on the 2 point conversion at the end... By the time the ref's moved everyone off the pile the ball had already been moved back... But oh well, nothing you can do about it...

Good luck to Central

Proud of my pirates... Couldn't have played any better... Next week it's Lumberton, let's get it done...

believe so too about them getting in and the refs did not call but like you said those boys can hold their heads up high and be very proud of themselves. they definitely gave me heart failure lol.

My gosh.  This game could still be going on.  Did any of you fans sit down during any of the game?

From a mother that was watching this game I was at the fence the whole two over times. They(both teams) played wonderful. It was a game of intense plays. I for one will always be at the games rooting my son on. But I will say we did get in on that last play.

Pirates fall to Jaguars 57-56 in 2 OTs

Greg Hayes

The Orange Leader

BEAUMONT — As the pile of Vidor and Central players cleared away from the goal line following Vidor’s two-point conversion attempt in the second overtime, the ball lay in the end zone and the Pirates offensive line jumped up with hands raised. But no official signal was given, and the final score on the scoreboard read 57-56 in favor of the Jaguars … proving once again that football is truly a game of inches.

“I thought it was in,†Vidor head coach Jeff Mathews said. “Our box thought it was in. It looked like we made it in. But that is not our call to make.â€

The play to get Vidor back in the game in the fourth quarter came off the leg of kicker Jacob Jeanise, as he booted and recovered his own onside kick following a 13-play, 71-yard drive that ended with Shane Pitman plunging in from two yards out with 6:59 remaining in the fourth to give Vidor 34 to Central’s 36.

“We took a gamble on the onside kick,†Mathews said. “And it paid off. I felt like we were always in this game. But we did have a couple of turnovers that really hurt us … not just because we dropped them but because we were getting hit hard. Both teams played well tonight, and we knew that both defenses would have some trouble.â€

Following the onside kick, Vidor made mincemeat of the Jaguar defense in a nine-play, 46-yard drive, capped off by quarterback Nick Dozhier scampering in a keeper from nine yards out on first and goal to put the Pirates up 40-36 with 2:51 remaining in the fourth. The two-point conversion failed.

But Central responded back in five plays, taking the ball from their own 26 yard line and dashing the Pirates defense with a 45-yard run by Nigel Daw on fourth and 1 to end the drive with the Jags ahead 43-40 with 1:23 on the clock.

Vidor responded by calling on Jeanise again to kick a 38-yard field goal to knot the game at 43 all with one second remaining to send the game to overtime. The score capped a 7-play drive that began at the Central 24 yard line after Jacob Peevey returned the Central kickoff 68 yards.

Vidor drew first blood in the game off the legs of Pitman as he scored from 11 yards out to cap a nine-play, 67-yard drive with 8:32 remaining in the first quarter.

Central gained their first score on their very first possession as well, as quarterback Donte Wilkerson hit Keenan Holman for six with 4:07 remaining in the first, capping a nine-play, 54-yard drive to make the score 7-7.

After the Pirates fumbled on Central’s 34 yard line, the Jags went ahead 14-7 as Keith O’Neal rumbled in from six yards out on a first-and-goal play with 9:56 remaining in the second quarter to end a 66-yard, six-play drive.

Vidor evened the score at 14-14 by ramming the ball down the Jaguars’ throats with their ground-and-pound style of offense, knocking the Jags defense around on a grueling 12-play, 80-yard drive, capped off by Pitman punching the ball in from the two on a fourth and goal play, chewing the clock down to 3:52 remaining in the half.

Vidor scored again before the half ended, however, going ahead 21-14 as they went 66 yards in seven plays with 15 seconds remaining once Dozhier snuck over the goal line on a second-and-goal play from the one yard line.

Central wasted no time after the second half began, going ahead 22-21 with a two-point conversion by Brennan Jackson to compliment Daw’s 50-yard touchdown scamper to cap a six-play, 80-yard drive with 9:52 remaining in the third.

Central strengthened their third quarter lead, taking over at the Vidor 42 yard line following a fumble by the Pirates, as Wilkerson found Daw with a 17-yard strike on a first and 10 play with 6:35 to go in the half, capping a six-play drive.

Vidor’s Kevin Tate found the end zone from eight yards out on the Pirates next drive consisting of nine-plays covering 63 total yards with 2:25 remaining in the third. But that was plenty of time for the Jaguars to put together a four-play, 60-yard drive for the final score of the third quarter, when Daw on first and goal went the distance on a seven-yard run.

Vidor will travel to Lumberton next week in District 20-4A action.

Great job Jeanise.  He hasn't been the most consistant but I think that's from lack of confidence.  He showed that he has nerves of steel with the game on the line to tie it up.  I'm glad he got his props.  You know our regular crew always gets them but without Jeanise we wouldn't have had the final craziness that insued.  Build from there.

As far as the Central fans are concerned....We sat on the Visitors side and were surrounded by Jag fans.  Everyone (Jags & Pirate Fans) there walked away a fan of the other.  I have never been partial to Central myself but after last night, NOTHING BUT RESPECT for the Players & Fans.

My heart still hurts for the Pirates but all we every wanted was the respect of the other teams.  No one deserves anything.   Our boys EARNED IT.  I knew it was going to to be a heartbreaker for either team and hate that we came out on bottom this time.  NO ifs ands or buts...BOTH teams played outstanding!!!!

I taped the game and what you can't hear is the whistle blow... I was there, when the refs ran in the whistle had been blown.  The kid kept rolling after he had been stopped... He wound up in the endzone on the third roll!  Nmber 63 met him in the backfield!!!!

Why would the refs have blown the whistle if the pile was moving? I was on the sideline at the goal line and heard no whistle. Strange night ... but a great game.

As for the fumbles, I never said they were not forced. But if we had taken the hits and not coughed it up, you don't get two of your scoring drives. Think about it.

Good luck to the Jags. Like I said before, there was no quit in either team. I bet those Lumberton scouts were shaking in their seats.  ;D

I taped the game and what you can't hear is the whistle blow... I was there, when the refs ran in the whistle had been blown.  The kid kept rolling after he had been stopped... He wound up in the endzone on the third roll!  Nmber 63 met him in the backfield!!!!

I bet those Lumberton scouts were shaking in their seats.  ;D

I'll bet they were. Their finger nails are problably bleeding from the biting also ;D

I taped the game and what you can't hear is the whistle blow... I was there, when the refs ran in the whistle had been blown.  The kid kept rolling after he had been stopped... He wound up in the endzone on the third roll!  Nmber 63 met him in the backfield!!!!

I bet those Lumberton scouts were shaking in their seats.  ;D

I'll bet they were. Their finger nails are problably bleeding from the biting also ;D

Yeah, thinking holy sh!$ we have to play BOTH these teams and try and stop their offense holy sh!$.... :D :D :D

I bet lumbertons offensive scouts where licking their chops about facing vidor d. The sure looked like they had big smiles on their faces, almost like it was Christmas night

Actually, what I was thinking after going to the Livingston game and then watching Vidor/Central on TV was, it's kind of funny how 3 of the top Defenses in the area got scored on so often while the offenses for the same teams rang up alot of points.

I taped the game and what you can't hear is the whistle blow... I was there, when the refs ran in the whistle had been blown.  The kid kept rolling after he had been stopped... He wound up in the endzone on the third roll!  Nmber 63 met him in the backfield!!!!

I bet those Lumberton scouts were shaking in their seats.  ;D

Yeah, thinking holy sh!$ we have to play BOTH these teams and try and stop their offense holy sh!$.... :D :D :D

The "insiders" are saying.  " How in the world do we stop Vidor's offense ".  If Vidor Defense does not start tighten up, there is going to be a lot of high scoring games.

according to the vidor qtrback, they didnt get in on the two point conversion. went and ate with a bunch of the vidor players after the game and that came straight from him, was about six inches short. so now that should stop the second guessing. what a game. you couldnt have scripted this any better than it turned out. each team stepped it up when they needed to to get to ot. couldve gone either way, jags won..... i see good things for both teams from here on out, good luck to both.

Why would the refs have blown the whistle if the pile was moving? I was on the sideline at the goal line and heard no whistle. Strange night ... but a great game.

As for the fumbles, I never said they were not forced. But if we had taken the hits and not coughed it up, you don't get two of your scoring drives. Think about it.

Good luck to the Jags. Like I said before, there was no quit in either team. I bet those Lumberton scouts were shaking in their seats.  ;D

Sorry guy if you are honest with yourself the pile was not moving... How long does the runner get to lay on his back ontop of another player before the whistle is blown?  The pile had stopped and as he continued to roll after the kids had contain contact the play was dead...  But this will be a debate that neither you are I can win... I just think it was a great game!

This was the best high school game I've ever seen. These 2 teams play a great and hard fought game all night long. There were controversial calls for both teams. There are people saying that the defenses need to step up, but remember these are 2 very high-powered offensive teams. Those defensive players played there hearts out as well. However, I believe these 2 teams will meet again in regionals. Central may have won the battle, but they will not win the WAR! Go Pirates!

My blood pressur, my heart, my nerves, my vocal cords, and my leg muscles from jumping up and down out of my seat are no good right now.  Instant Classic!  Thanks, Jags and Pirates for this entertaining show! 

Thanks Soul Man. I was ready to come on here and eat crow if I had to but I was hoping you guys would have the class not to serve it! It was easy to see these teams are very evenly matched. Great Rb's on both sides! Great QB's leading the charge. I just hope both of our Defenses will be able to step up in weeks to come. I just want to say that I was most impressed at the end of the game when the players from both teams were shaking hands and patting each other on the helments showing true respect from each side! That is what it is all about. Soul Man I hope your heart is OK. I should have taken an extra Blood Pressure pill before this one! Well good luck to the Jags and the Pirates next week! I guess I will have to wait!!!!! ;D

My blood pressur, my heart, my nerves, my vocal cords, and my leg muscles from jumping up and down out of my seat are no good right now.  Instant Classic!  Thanks, Jags and Pirates for this entertaining show! 

Thanks Soul Man. I was ready to come on here and eat crow if I had to but I was hoping you guys would have the class not to serve it! It was easy to see these teams are very evenly matched. Great Rb's on both sides! Great QB's leading the charge. I just hope both of our Defenses will be able to step up in weeks to come. I just want to say that I was most impressed at the end of the game when the players from both teams were shaking hands and patting each other on the helments showing true respect from each side! That is what it is all about. Soul Man I hope your heart is OK. I should have taken an extra Blood Pressure pill before this one! Well good luck to the Jags and the Pirates next week! I guess I will have to wait!!!!! ;D

No crow to be served.  This game could have swung either way.  You are exempted from all crow since this is an instant classic.  I'll be talkiing about this game for many years to come...

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder