WO-S 21 Kirbyville 20 OT Orange Leader Write up

KFDM COOP

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll say it again. Anything can happen on Friday night. I don't think many people (including KVille fans) expected the Wildcats to hang with WO-S like they did. Kirbyville has proven they are among the best in small school football in the state of Texas. And, they play a schedule that's second to none for a 2AA school (Diboll/Jasper/WO-S/Liberty in non-district). But, and I say this despite the fact that I was on pins and needles, hoping and praying, that the Kats would pull this win out; WO-S is, all and all, the best team in SE Texas. They can play with anybody and if they played this game 10 more times, they would probably win at least 9 of them, most by two touchdowns or more. Sorry KVille...You did great and I'm proud as heck but I do think WO-S shot themselves in the foot on more than one occasion to keep this game as close as it was. I also think the Stangs will regroup this week and put a hurting on Jasper next week just to prove that they weren't firing on all cylinders tonight. I would hate to be a Bulldawg next Friday night.

Not trying to take anything from the Kats but history and tradition tells me that WO-S, when playing WO-S football, doesn't go into overtime against a 2AA school, even one as GOOD as Kirbyville. Again, congrats to the Kats for almost pulling it out. Would've been one for the history books.

I agree with your perspective completely. 

Good to know that my Mustangs are still the measuring stick of SETX football, even as young as we are.  Many WOS fans have said all year that we are young, and need lots of work.  To hear statements like we made it close with WOS, we can compete with anybody in the state is funny to me.  WOS played an awful game, and still won.  Hats off to Kirbyville coaches for having their team prepared and confident.  Most teams WOS play seem to be intimidated from the start.  Good luck on the rest of your season.  At this point, yes, WOS is overrated.  They are too young, and not quite physical enough to be the #3 team in the state.  Yes, they do have the potential and the playmakers to reach that level, but they are not there yet.  We as WOS fans just have the confidence that our coaches will get them to playing at the highest level possible by district time.  That is why we schedule the way we do.  We battle test them early, to see where we need work.  Toby really need to get off of the sideline and into the press box.  An O-Coord does not need to be around all of the excitement, because they get too caught up in it.  Plus, you can see more from the box.  Just my opinion, and he is my friend, and I will call him and voice my opinion to him as well.  WOS will be fine.

Good to know that my Mustangs are still the measuring stick of SETX football, even as young as we are.  Many WOS fans have said all year that we are young, and need lots of work.  To hear statements like we made it close with WOS, we can compete with anybody in the state is funny to me.  WOS played an awful game, and still won.  Hats off to Kirbyville coaches for having their team prepared and confident.  Most teams WOS play seem to be intimidated from the start.  Good luck on the rest of your season.  At this point, yes, WOS is overrated.  They are too young, and not quite physical enough to be the #3 team in the state.  Yes, they do have the potential and the playmakers to reach that level, but they are not there yet.  We as WOS fans just have the confidence that our coaches will get them to playing at the highest level possible by district time.  That is why we schedule the way we do.  We battle test them early, to see where we need work.  Toby really need to get off of the sideline and into the press box.  An O-Coord does not need to be around all of the excitement, because they get too caught up in it.  Plus, you can see more from the box.  Just my opinion, and he is my friend, and I will call him and voice my opinion to him as well.  WOS will be fine.

I don't know that I agree with Toby needing to be in the box.  Toby has a way with those boys and I think they need his physical contact and not just his spirit somewhere above them.  Could you imagine Coach Thompson being in the press box so he could "see" what the other team was doing?  Just my opinion.

i keep hearing all the wos fans saying that they played a horrible game and that is what made it so close.  i want to ask the kville fans, who thought the cats played their best game?  i remember a horribly rocky start, and several poorly pitched balls and handoffs on the cats side of the ball.  i personally dont think kirbyville played on all 8 cylinders tonight (maybe 7).  also curious as to what the wos fans are comparing the play of kville to, it's almost like they have a perfect measuring stick over there as to where every team should be in every classification and up to the day of every week.  is it possible that (and this pertains to every matchup across the nation at every level), when two great teams match up(tradition not a factor), they almost cancel each other out, and maybe the level of play looks lower than expected.  just the opposite would apply to this rule as well( not in this case), two poorly coached teams with very little talent making each other look extremely good.

Well just about every thing has been said so I'll just say this...Great game for a cat fan and a very sloppy game for a stang fan.Even though the stangs had their problems the cat defense was pretty good.

Wo-s had better get some things fixed before they go to Jasper or any other place for that matter.I never have bought into their high ranking and they have not done anything yet that would change my mind.I would like to think that this was just a bad night for the stangs but I'm not so sure that is the case. :-\

Lets all be serious about tonights game folk's! Tonight was basically a battle between the whole kirbyville team and the chain gang...the WOS offense never got in sync and when it did it was messed up by a penalty or a terrible play call! Tonight's game was a simple case of kirbyville playing to the best of it's ability and WOS doing just enough to win! With a team with as much talent as WOS has they need to distribute the ball around and stop worrying about getting the ball to Mr. Franks! The WOS defensive line is the best i've seen in a very long time! Tonight was a huge wake up call for the stangs and boy i feel sorry for the dawg's next week cause the stang's are gonna take all the frustration out on them! GO STANG'S!!!!!

With all do respect I have to disagree, I am a Jasper fan first and was just down covering this game since the Dogs were off. To say that was the best Kirbyville could play is an insult to Kirbyville, they were far from perfect and I have seen them play lots better. They had their share of mistakes as well, fumbles and dumb penalties hurt them. They went toe to toe with the Mustangs and West Orange was lucky to leave with a win. Were both teams perfect? No. So give the Wildcats some credit.

All this talk about who played worse...I'm not sure it really matters. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what your tradition is or how highly ranked you are. If you don't "bring it" each time you step on the field, you risk losing. This is why we play the games.

I will agree that the Mustangs were sloppy. I will also agree that Kville looked a little sloppy at times. Give Kville credit for almost pulling off the upset. At this point the Mustangs do appear to be overrated. Like BigD said, the coaches will get them where they need to be.

I would like to know from the Kville fans, how do you compare the Kats performance against WOS v. the one against Jasper?

A "W" means a win ..and a "L" means a loss. Never seen a comment section out beside these two letters.

"We lost, but we didn't play our best". Or "We won, but we looked horrible so it could have been more points".

Either you got it done, or you didn't.

Apparently WOS got it done.-Congrats

Hats off to Kirbyville on a hard fought game..And much respect to Coach Alvarez for going for two..You have to respect that..

I will agree that the Mustangs were sloppy. I will also agree that Kville looked a little sloppy at times. Give Kville credit for almost pulling off the upset. At this point the Mustangs do appear to be overrated. Like BigD said, the coaches will get them where they need to be.

I would like to know from the Kville fans, how do you compare the Kats performance against WOS v. the one against Jasper?

Much better preformace from K-ville on the defensive side of the ball for sure.  WOS did have alot of penalties and mistakes but that is a potent offense and Kirbyville did a very good job against them.  As for the offense they looked about the same but unable to break the big plays against the speed of the Stangs defense.  Corrected to fumble problems early enough to get on track and compete with them.  The Jasper game was all about the turnovers IMO.  Kirbyville showed the ability to score against Jasper more so than WOS.

Hats off to both teams!  Sounds like both teams come outta this one with a little something they needed!  Sounds like Kville fans need to acknowledge that they played a very good WOS team that is capable of playing better than they did tonite. They did make the playes at the end that it took to win this one.  WOS exposed some things that needed to be worked on and should gain alot from this week.  Also WOS fans need to acknoledge that they faced a very good 2a team that came into this game to win it and played their hearts out.  Kville did not come into WOS scared of this team and played them like they no one expected them too (esp WOS).  

I think only positive things came out of this game for both teams and comments and replys should suggest that.  All the other crap about blaming the weather, the refs, the calls, the penalties is ridulous.  WOS fans bragging about how much better they are than Kville and saying Kville only did well is because WOS played so bad and then bad mouthing Kville is terrible.  

Kville fans bragging about being the better team and blaming refs for bad calls and saying you are the real winners is terrible.  Its ridulous that these boys went to Orange and played their hearts out and deserve nothing but praise for what they did accomplish tonite has to read this crap.  WOS fans and other fans throughout SETX cant even give Cats the acknowlegment and praise they deserve because you cant SHUT UP long enough to keep from pissing everyone off and causing them to be defensive.  

This is what im talking about !!!

Congrats musting on the win yall have a lot to work on !! good luck the rest of the season

As far as the cats hold your head up high did great could have been alot better  have alot to work on still!!! but that beining said this one is in the books!!! so lets move on and make another great run for the dist title and another stab for the state title!!!

Go Wildcats!!!

I could reply to that..but I guess I stirred the pot enough for one night!!!!! Keep thinking that though!  ;) ;D

WO-S is 3-0        Kirbyville is 1-2            

You're totally right...we are 1-2..against really tough "3A"Teams and I think WOS played a great game, however, by all the posts I've read and how underrated everyone from WOS thought Kville was, Kville was by far the better team tonight! Oh well we will move on and play Liberty next week, hopefully come out with the win over there and head into district with our heads held high! We played tough against ya'll tonight and they deserve to be lifted up!

WO-S played one of their worst games ever Offensively!!! Drop snaps 2 or 3 times, 11-15 Penalties, dropped passes, gosh i could go on.

Quit making Excuses  ;)

I'm not going to say that the WOS band director almost cost us a win, but lets get serious.  I don't know if you have never been around football at any level, but when your team is kicking a field goal do not play a drum beat.  Do not end the drum beat while he is starting his kick.  The drum beat that was being orchestrated by the director stopped all of a sudden with every drummer hitting his drum while the kicker is kicking.  Fans and everyone should be quiet.  Kickers are a fickle group and anything (bad punts) can get them out of their zone.  I'm not saying that is the reason he missed the kick, but the band needs to be on the same page as the band.  That's like playing "We will rock you" when a player is injured.  Fans and bands have their own duty at football games.  When your defense is attempting a 3rd and 4th down stop, you are supposed to be loud.  And also be quiet when your team is trying to convert. 

This post might get deleted, and I apologize to the moderators for posting this.  I know that posters aren't supposed to call out certain coaches, but there is only one band director. 

WOS played good defense.  They made some good 4th down stops deep in their own zone.  They were just forced to play D when Kville was starting with great field position.  Trey has to catch that INT.  He just put the cart before the horse, and started running before he actually made the catch.  Offense has to execute better.  7 or 8 procedure calls in the 3rd game is unacceptable.  I'm not going to count them out yet.  The mistakes that are being made are fixable. We are still 3-0.  Jasper will be ready so we better be as well. 

I could reply to that..but I guess I stirred the pot enough for one night!!!!! Keep thinking that though!  ;) ;D

WO-S is 3-0        Kirbyville is 1-2            

Nobody will win with that many Penalties!

You're totally right...we are 1-2..against really tough "3A"Teams and I think WOS played a great game, however, by all the posts I've read and how underrated everyone from WOS thought Kville was, Kville was by far the better team tonight! Oh well we will move on and play Liberty next week, hopefully come out with the win over there and head into district with our heads held high! We played tough against ya'll tonight and they deserve to be lifted up!

WO-S played one of their worst games ever Offensively!!! Drop snaps 2 or 3 times, 11-15 Penalties, dropped passes, gosh i could go on.

Quit making Excuses  ;)

A "W" means a win ..and a "L" means a loss. Never seen a comment section out beside these two letters.

"We lost, but we didn't play our best". Or "We won, but we looked horrible so it could have been more points".

Either you got it done, or you didn't.

Apparently WOS got it done.-Congrats

Hats off to Kirbyville on a hard fought game..And much respect to Coach Alvarez for going for two..You have to respect that..

Excellent post pirate fan! True so true

I think its ridiculous kirbyville fan blaming it on the refs. But i guess every time there is a good game and the better team comes out on top like they should people have to make excuses. To help them get over it. It was a very hard fought game i was on the side lines when kville went for the 2 point conversion. His butt got in the in zone when he rolled around. but the chain gang stopped the ball from entering the endzone. Great game both ways.

Hats off to both teams!  Sounds like both teams come outta this one with a little something they needed!  Sounds like Kville fans need to acknowledge that they played a very good WOS team that is capable of playing better than they did tonite. They did make the playes at the end that it took to win this one.  WOS exposed some things that needed to be worked on and should gain alot from this week.  Also WOS fans need to acknoledge that they faced a very good 2a team that came into this game to win it and played their hearts out.  Kville did not come into WOS scared of this team and played them like they no one expected them too (esp WOS).  

I think only positive things came out of this game for both teams and comments and replys should suggest that.  All the other crap about blaming the weather, the refs, the calls, the penalties is ridulous.  WOS fans bragging about how much better they are than Kville and saying Kville only did well is because WOS played so bad and then bad mouthing Kville is terrible.  

Kville fans bragging about being the better team and blaming refs for bad calls and saying you are the real winners is terrible.  Its ridulous that these boys went to Orange and played their hearts out and deserve nothing but praise for what they did accomplish tonite has to read this crap.  WOS fans and other fans throughout SETX cant even give Cats the acknowlegment and praise they deserve because you cant SHUT UP long enough to keep from pissing everyone off and causing them to be defensive.  

That's a good post there Ryker... and for the record, this is the best Kville team I've seen. Including last years team.

I'm not going to say that the WOS band director almost cost us a win, but lets get serious.  I don't know if you have never been around football at any level, but when your team is kicking a field goal do not play a drum beat.  Do not end the drum beat while he is starting his kick.  The drum beat that was being orchestrated by the director stopped all of a sudden with every drummer hitting his drum while the kicker is kicking.  Fans and everyone should be quiet.  Kickers are a fickle group and anything (bad punts) can get them out of their zone.  I'm not saying that is the reason he missed the kick, but the band needs to be on the same page as the band.  That's like playing "We will rock you" when a player is injured.  Fans and bands have their own duty at football games.  When your defense is attempting a 3rd and 4th down stop, you are supposed to be loud.  And also be quiet when your team is trying to convert. 

This post might get deleted, and I apologize to the moderators for posting this.  I know that posters aren't supposed to call out certain coaches, but there is only one band director. 

WOS played good defense.  They made some good 4th down stops deep in their own zone.  They were just forced to play D when Kville was starting with great field position.  Trey has to catch that INT.  He just put the cart before the horse, and started running before he actually made the catch.  Offense has to execute better.  7 or 8 procedure calls in the 3rd game is unacceptable.  I'm not going to count them out yet.  The mistakes that are being made are fixable. We are still 3-0.  Jasper will be ready so we better be as well. 

wow! i have to say this is the first time i have ever seen a band director being used as the scapegoat for a HORRIBLE kicking game. isnt this band director new, if so what is the excuse for our kicking game being HORRIBLE the following 3-5 years? badly missing a fg from the 8 yard line to win the game???? c'mon!

we need a reliable,consistant kicker as the season goes on! eventually its gonna come down to an extra point or fg for a big win and i hope when that time comes we can answer the call.

Heading into the fourth game of the season it doesn't seem the penalty problem has improved for WOS since Nederland. And it is true, they never have a good kicking game (band affected or not) :)

We tend to forget WOS has a first year OC. I'm sure there's still a lot to learn from the athletes to the coaching. We all know WOS has great talent, just have to put the rubber to the pavement so to speak.

Congrats to both teams for a hard fought game.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jacobmartin
    Newest Member
    jacobmartin