STJFL Goal

td

I'm not on the STJFL board but I have been on many board that are affiliated with youth sports. It's a goal. If you have 35 kids, in one division that's too many for one team and not enough for two teams. That's something they can't control. From what I've seen STJFL does try and get enough kids so that all can play. I just used those numbers as an example. I think STJFL has a maximum number of kids that can be on one team. I'm not sure what it is but I would think that you could find it on their website. Again it is a goal of theirs just as we set goals in our own lives. We nor STJFL or any other organization always reaches their goals.

The STJFL Inc. is a non-profit youth based organization made up of communities both large and small from all over Southeast Texas. The primary goal of the STJFL is to provide all children of Southeast Texas an opportunity to participate in the Great American sport of Youth Football and Cheer. The STJFL emphasizes the value of discipline, team play, individual growth, self-confidence, and a commitment to learning. Come join or visit the STJFL for the experience of a lifetime.

If the primary goal is to provide all children of SETx an opportunity to participate then why were children denied the opportunity to participate?

The STJFL Inc. is a non-profit youth based organization made up of communities both large and small from all over Southeast Texas. The primary goal of the STJFL is to provide all children of Southeast Texas an opportunity to participate in the Great American sport of Youth Football and Cheer. The STJFL emphasizes the value of discipline, team play, individual growth, self-confidence, and a commitment to learning. Come join or visit the STJFL for the experience of a lifetime.

If the primary goal is to provide all children of SETx an opportunity to participate then why were children denied the opportunity to participate?

GoneSouth - the rules/bylaws are one thing... Beaumont has 1 flag, 1 PeeWee, 2 Jr and 1 Sr team this season... The PeeWee team barely has enuf to have 11 on the field may have 3 kids sitting out each play every week..  They lost alot of 7-8 year old kids because they live in the 77706 zip code and they are zoned to the right school but because they aren't home schooled, private schooled or attend the school in which they are zoned because their parents teach outside of Beaumont so they take them to school with them in order not to have to pay for before/after school care the kids are being punished and aren't being allowed to play.  They aren't trying to play out of district they are trying to play in the district in which they live. I didn't read anything in the bylaws that said you can't play in the district in which you are zoned but these kids aren't allowed and their is not an alternate team for them to play in the league.

Mom, it is unfortunate that there are children that weren't allowed to partipate in the STJFL; however, the by-laws do address this circumstance. Participants have to play in the district in which they attend school. If kids attend school in a district that doesn't belong to the STJFL, they are not allowed to participate. That's the beauty of having two leagues. The LJF league has teams in most areas that do not participate in STJFL; therefore, I think there is an alternative. If you would like to put a group together and petition the STJFL to form a new association, please feel free to do so between January-March.

Southeast Texas Junior Football League, Inc.

Constitution & By-Laws

ARTICLE XII: CERTIFICATION OF PARTICIPANTS

SECTION 4.  All participants will be certified according to the school in which they attend.  In the case where a school district has more than one elementary or junior high, the STJFL board will make a determination as to how the association will have to split the participants in their association.  The board will consider size of community, locations of schools, school boundaries, etc. while making its determination.  Any child that is home or private schooled must be certified in the district they live in.  No child will be allowed to play outside of their school district without a waiver from the STJFL Board.  The STJFL Board will consider any exceptions or special considerations.

I will tell you, the STJFL is about providing a place for kids to play football just like Lone Star, TIFI, and Pop Warner. They all have rules! Just because it does not work for you dont try to drag down a youth organization. Be an adult!! Not everyones rules fit everyone, but I gaurantee you if follow the proper channels and done in the right way, rules can be changed. But I dont think this is the way to do it.

If you really think you are fighting the good fight for all unjust kids, you are wrong. Everyone has a story, obviuosly yours is lacking the whole truth!

I wasn't trying to fight anything and don't feel my story necessarily lacks the whole truth. Just trying to understand how/why and maybe what it takes to get waivers/exceptions granted.

It did not affect me personally it affected friends.  It affected 7/8 year olds (PeeWee) that live in a district in which was allowed to participate based on elementary schools; however, they do not go to private school or home schooled but attend school in which their parents work (Buna, Nederland, Orange etc.) which is a different district from their address.  One did attend the proper school but his parent started working in another school district this fall; therefore, the children go to that school now but still live in the boundaries but had to withdraw since he no longer attended one of these schools.

Eligibility requirements that were given to these players prior to registration was as follows:

Who’s Eligible? Players (public, private, or home school) must be able to prove residence in the boundaries of these BISD schools: Amelia, Caldwood, Sallie Curtis, Regina Howell, Vincent and Marshall. Players must also be able to prove residence in the 77706 or 77707 zip codes. The rules, eligibility, and ages of the players are set by the hosting league in which WBBIFL is a member, the Southeast Texas Junior Football League.

These kids met these requirements of proof of residence in boundaries of 1 of the 4 elementary schools AND proof of residence in 06/07 zip codes. But were denied.  But, there are those that were allowed to play that can prove residence in boundary but not zip code... Also, those that are not zoned for these schools based on their residency but attend one of them so they are eligible as well.

There are those that the older siblings meet the Vincent/Marshall requirement AND Zip but the younger siblings are ineligible cuz they don't meet the elementary requirement and would have to wait till 11/12 yrs old to play...

All I am saying is that these kids weren't even offered the option of playing in the district for which they attended school cuz they were told that would be playing out of the district in which they resided. So, they couldn't play according to the above eligibility nor could they play where they attended school.

But, if I understand what you are saying is that they could have played in Buna, Nederland, PN, Orange etc for STJFL or LJF depending on the league that the school participated in which they attend. The board didn't give them that option.  No play was the only option provided.

I do not want to form a new association just trying to understand. My children have played in both LJF and STJFL and I'm not dragging down either one. It just seems unfair that of no fault of theirs they couldn't play cuz their parents chose not to send them to the school in which they were zoned nor private school nor have the feasibility to homeschool because they work outside of the district in which they live.  I felt that attending school elsewhere was no different than attending private school or being homeschooled as long as they met the same requirements as private/homeschooled kids. I also felt, as well as some others, that this was something that could have met a waiver or been considered for the exceptions/special considerations.

Just an opinion an I'm not trying to bash anyone or any organization.

I completely understand your point and believe me I sympathize with those that weren't allowed to participate. We need to keep in mind that the Beaumont group is new to the STJFL so there are going to be some hurdles, growing pains and downright mistakes made by both parties. Many hours went into the planning and integration of the WBB football league into the STJFL and I'm sure there were some things that were missed; however, the important thing is for everyone involved to learn from them so that they're not repeated.

I can absolutely unequivocally tell you that the STJFL's intention is to allow as many kids to participate as possible. Sometimes there are rules and policies that restrict player participation; however, it's never with a malicious intent to exclude anyone.

I find it extremely beneficial that these youth leagues exists (STJFL, LJF) and although neither are perfect, both try as hard as they can to provide a place for young kids to play football and cheer. My hats off to all of the people that originally put them together and to those that work so hard to make sure they are successful.

I completely understand your point and believe me I sympathize with those that weren't allowed to participate. We need to keep in mind that the Beaumont group is new to the STJFL so there are going to be some hurdles, growing pains and downright mistakes made by both parties. Many hours went into the planning and integration of the WBB football league into the STJFL and I'm sure there were some things that were missed; however, the important thing is for everyone involved to learn from them so that they're not repeated.

I can absolutely unequivocally tell you that the STJFL's intention is to allow as many kids to participate as possible. Sometimes there are rules and policies that restrict player participation; however, it's never with a malicious intent to exclude anyone.

I find it extremely beneficial that these youth leagues exists (STJFL, LJF) and although neither are perfect, both try as hard as they can to provide a place for young kids to play football and cheer. My hats off to all of the people that originally put them together and to those that work so hard to make sure they are successful.

GREAT POST

The rules in LJF are:

A player will be recognized as part of the district where they WOULD attend public school if they are home-schooled or attend private schools. However, we also recognize the teaching profession and those that carry their kids with them as a matter of work. Those participants simply have to ask to play based on the idea that they are attending a school outside their residence and explain why. Provide proof of enrollment at the school and I do not recall ever turning a child away from playing football with the kids he goes to school with. We have lots of kids that attend schools outside their home districts because their parents work outside that district and have enrolled them close to their work for financial or other reasons.

mark

I wasn't trying to fight anything and don't feel my story necessarily lacks the whole truth. Just trying to understand how/why and maybe what it takes to get waivers/exceptions granted.

It did not affect me personally it affected friends.  It affected 7/8 year olds (PeeWee) that live in a district in which was allowed to participate based on elementary schools; however, they do not go to private school or home schooled but attend school in which their parents work (Buna, Nederland, Orange etc.) which is a different district from their address.  One did attend the proper school but his parent started working in another school district this fall; therefore, the children go to that school now but still live in the boundaries but had to withdraw since he no longer attended one of these schools.

Eligibility requirements that were given to these players prior to registration was as follows:

Who’s Eligible? Players (public, private, or home school) must be able to prove residence in the boundaries of these BISD schools: Amelia, Caldwood, Sallie Curtis, Regina Howell, Vincent and Marshall. Players must also be able to prove residence in the 77706 or 77707 zip codes. The rules, eligibility, and ages of the players are set by the hosting league in which WBBIFL is a member, the Southeast Texas Junior Football League.

These kids met these requirements of proof of residence in boundaries of 1 of the 4 elementary schools AND proof of residence in 06/07 zip codes. But were denied.  But, there are those that were allowed to play that can prove residence in boundary but not zip code... Also, those that are not zoned for these schools based on their residency but attend one of them so they are eligible as well.

There are those that the older siblings meet the Vincent/Marshall requirement AND Zip but the younger siblings are ineligible cuz they don't meet the elementary requirement and would have to wait till 11/12 yrs old to play...

All I am saying is that these kids weren't even offered the option of playing in the district for which they attended school cuz they were told that would be playing out of the district in which they resided. So, they couldn't play according to the above eligibility nor could they play where they attended school.

But, if I understand what you are saying is that they could have played in Buna, Nederland, PN, Orange etc for STJFL or LJF depending on the league that the school participated in which they attend. The board didn't give them that option.  No play was the only option provided.

I do not want to form a new association just trying to understand. My children have played in both LJF and STJFL and I'm not dragging down either one. It just seems unfair that of no fault of theirs they couldn't play cuz their parents chose not to send them to the school in which they were zoned nor private school nor have the feasibility to homeschool because they work outside of the district in which they live.  I felt that attending school elsewhere was no different than attending private school or being homeschooled as long as they met the same requirements as private/homeschooled kids. I also felt, as well as some others, that this was something that could have met a waiver or been considered for the exceptions/special considerations.

Just an opinion an I'm not trying to bash anyone or any organization.

AllSportsMom,

With all due respect, I was at the board meeting the night your friends presented their case.  I am not going to say that we have the best rules to fit every situation that will arise, but we have put a lot of time and effort into making them.  We did tell them that this by-law would be reviewed and if changes need to be made then we would propose changing it.  They were also told that there was a league in Buna that they could more thatn likely participate in.  So the fact that we told them that they could not play anywhere out of their district and that the only option was not to play is just not correct, we cannot control were a kid plays outside of STJFL.  As far as the requirements that you listed, those were imposed on top of what our by-laws already stated because Beaumont is such a large area.  So you would need to go and follow what the by-laws state and then look at what is specific to Beaumont.  Hopefully we will get the by-laws revised to better suit our growing league, sometimes change is needed.  As far as waivers go the deadline had passed and you cannot waiver a by-law, that is why no waiver was submitted.

It is our goal that all kids have an opportunity to play, all kids that meet the requirements of the STJFL by-laws and rules.  Obviously we cannot just allow all kids from everywhere to come in and play.  The rules are there for a good reason, but sometimes we out grow the rules and need to revise them.  With that said we don't realize it until it happens, that we need to revise it. 

Nathan

Buna was just one incident and yes Buna is in the LJF. They may have told them they could possibly play in Buna; however, I doubt that they'd want to stick around Buna until practice starts when they'd already have been home for 2 hours.

There were others that may not have been presented at that board.  One is attending school in Nederland which is also in STJFL and not sure where the others attend.

Hopefully, the rules/bylaws can be reviewed before next season and some changes made to help situations as these in the future.

Well I for one know first hand that the STJFL does everything in it's power to let as many kids play as their Bylaws allow.

My youngest son was given a waiver to play ( they waived the minimum #of plays ). You see he has downs syndrome it was the best

three years of football I have ever experienced. For that I thank the STJFL!!  8)

Well I for one know first hand that the STJFL does everything in it's power to let as many kids play as their Bylaws allow.

My youngest son was given a waiver to play ( they waived the minimum #of plays ). You see he has downs syndrome it was the best

three years of football I have ever experienced. For that I thank the STJFL!!  8)

It's so nice to hear a good experience like yours.  We are so glad that you and your son enjoyed the time in the STJFL.

Thank you!

How precious.  Good for you and the league.  I like hearing stuff like this.  Sent goose pimples down my arms.

NICE JOB STJFL!!

sports mom, i do understand your & others concerns, but i also know several of the board menbers

making this league work. along with nat, these are some football savey men who knows what it

takes to make a successful program,some are at high school level sports. trust me, when problem

areas & situations arise,this group will do what it takes to remedy said problems, thanks to all of the

VOLUNTEERS that head up stjfl,& yes ,primary goal is to the kids.

i also know several of the board menbers

making this league work. along with nat, these are some football savey men who knows what it

takes to make a successful program,some are at high school level sports.

...ahem, and women, what am I chopped liver?  LOL  Just kidding, thank you for the nice comments about the STJFL board.

• 2 years later...
[quote name="redbirdsrock" post="636098" timestamp="1251997414"]
I completely understand your point and believe me I sympathize with those that weren't allowed to participate. [size=14pt][color=red]We need to keep in mind that the Beaumont group is new to the STJFL so there are going to be some hurdles, growing pains and downright mistakes made by both parties. Many hours went into the planning and integration of the WBB football league into the STJFL and I'm sure there were some things that were [/color][/size][color=red][size=14pt]MISSED[/size][/color]; however, the important thing is for everyone involved to learn from them so that they're not repeated.

[/quote]

[quote name="Tebowing" post="1163304" timestamp="1327085818"]
[quote author=AllSportsMom link=topic=58749.msg635348#msg635348 date=1251871819]
The STJFL Inc. is a non-profit youth based organization made up of communities both large and small from all over Southeast Texas. [b]The primary goal of the STJFL is to provide all children of Southeast Texas an opportunity to participate in the Great American sport of Youth Football and Cheer.[/b] The STJFL emphasizes the value of discipline, team play, individual growth, self-confidence, and a commitment to learning. Come join or visit the STJFL for the experience of a lifetime.

[b]If the primary goal is to provide all children of SETx an opportunity to participate then why were children denied the opportunity to participate?[/b]
[/quote]I find this topic quite interesting!!
[/quote]

I notice that most folks have chosen not to participate in the discussion on the other thread...telling...

[quote name="elhector1" post="1163360" timestamp="1327091023"]
[quote author=Tebowing link=topic=58749.msg1163304#msg1163304 date=1327085818]
[quote author=AllSportsMom link=topic=58749.msg635348#msg635348 date=1251871819]
The STJFL Inc. is a non-profit youth based organization made up of communities both large and small from all over Southeast Texas. [b]The primary goal of the STJFL is to provide all children of Southeast Texas an opportunity to participate in the Great American sport of Youth Football and Cheer.[/b] The STJFL emphasizes the value of discipline, team play, individual growth, self-confidence, and a commitment to learning. Come join or visit the STJFL for the experience of a lifetime.

[b]If the primary goal is to provide all children of SETx an opportunity to participate then why were children denied the opportunity to participate?[/b]
[/quote]

I notice that most folks have chosen not to participate in the discussion on the other thread...telling...
[/quote]

I think the reason why most are not participating is we are only hearing one side.  There are ALWAYS two sides to a story, and a reasonable person would hear both sides before stating an opinion........

[quote name="thetragichippy" post="1163368" timestamp="1327092361"]
[quote author=elhector1 link=topic=58749.msg1163360#msg1163360 date=1327091023]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think the reason why most are not participating is we are only hearing one side.  There are ALWAYS two sides to a story, and a reasonable person would hear both sides before stating an opinion........
[/quote]

I agree! I would just wish that the other side (a STJFL MEMBER) that visits this site all the time, would! Or even their affliates. I am sure that they talk to their friend about the real reason. This site is annoymous, so it won't be names said, but neither STJFL or affliates confirm or DENY the real reason. I WONDER WHY.............

Guest truth serum
[quote name="elhector1" post="1163360" timestamp="1327091023"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]I noticed that also.  [/b]

Memorial will have 13 signees so far on signing day. Thats a great accomplishment for 1 high school. Here they are so far:
1. Terrence Singleton - Baylor
2. Travon Armstead - Baylor
3. Nate Holmes - Arkansas
4. Jajuan Seales - Okla. State
5. Elandon Roberts - Alcorn St. or Morgan State
6. Johnathan Ned - Alcorn St.
7. Jeff Reno - Alcorn St.
8. Jaylon Howard - Trinity Valley JC
9. Davonte McMillian - Trinity Valley JC
10. Ivory Pickett - Trinity Valley JC
11. Jereem Augustine - Tyler JC, Prairie View or TSU
12. Kenneth Mayfield - JC