How can we compete on the national level and do we want to

Don't think its a question of commitment? I think there are plenty of girls that love the game and want to play division one softball. We could field a team from this area that could compete at any level with one exception which is pitching. While there are several very very good pitchers in the area right now we do not have that one dominating pitcher that we have had in the past. The one obstacle, in my opinion, is who would get this team together and who would coach it. Who is the one person that could bring all the best payers from this area together.  Which one person would everyone trust and respect to teach our girls the game and have the ability to get them the exposer. Maybe R. Verde should make another run with Blast Gold. But then again the problem maybe that this area is too watered down with "A" ball teams.

Two other obstacles I think that play a role is;

1) Us dads giving up the coaching role of our DD to someone else.

2) And again we as parents thinking our DD should be playing certain positions when maybe there best suited to play others. This always plays a role in who we play for.

Just my thoughts.

Don't think its a question of commitment? I think there are plenty of girls that love the game and want to play division one softball. We could field a team from this area that could compete at any level with one exception which is pitching. While there are several very very good pitchers in the area right now we do not have that one dominating pitcher that we have had in the past. The one obstacle, in my opinion, is who would get this team together and who would coach it. Who is the one person that could bring all the best payers from this area together. Which one person would everyone trust and respect to teach our girls the game and have the ability to get them the exposer. Maybe R. Verde should make another run with Blast Gold. But then again the problem maybe that this area is too watered down with "A" ball teams.

Two other obstacles I think that play a role is;

1) Us dads giving up the coaching role of our DD to someone else.

2) And again we as parents thinking our DD should be playing certain positions when maybe there best suited to play others. This always plays a role in who we play for.

Just my thoughts.

I believe that the pitching is close if we can play enough defense behind her. We started Shockers Gold 2 years ago and we did have to go outside the GT area just so we would have enough players to make the team. That team qualified for ASA Gold in our first year and finished 9th at IFA this year and went 3 and 2 in our ASA Gold qualifier this year which means we finished in the top half or about 30th out of 81 teams. I coached with RVerde for 8 years and Jessica Lemoine(Shockers Gold coach) played for RVerde for 6 years and played 4 years of College at ULL. No other team in this area has the experience of playing at ASA Gold in Oklahoma or the experience of competing against the best teams in Houston. Right now we are as close as you can get. We played Nederlands Intensity team and won 1 and lost 1 against them. We play in several tournaments in Houston where there are always 30 plus college coaches. We are the only local team to be accepted into the 18U Ronald McDonald which is the biggest college exposure tournament in the Fall in Texas.  I have coached 2 State Championship teams at Kelly HS and made it to the top 4 once . I have coached College All Americans and at least 40 D1 players and 20 JUCO players. This is not bragging just stating a few facts. We know what it takes and how to get there. We have done it before, we have the experience. We (GT Shockers Gold) will have tryouts starting next week.

Well stated Trout, no one can deny Robert Verde and your accomplishments. I spoke, in the past ,with several players that played on Blast Gold and all had nothing but respect for RVerde and yourself. So the question is........with your resume' why can't we build that team we are talking about and get all the best players on one team. I think some of the thoughts that run through players and parents minds when choosing a team are;

1) I want my DD playing a certain position.

2) The coachs themselves . Whether it's the hitting style they teach or how they relate to the girls.

3) Location and the amount of practice time.

4) And maybe other girls that have played for a coach and had a bad experience.

5) And ,of course, the amount of exposer a coach can get for his girls.

I think there are several really good coaches , including Trout, in the area that can help our girls out but the trick is getting all the girls on one team. I would love to see it happen.

Well stated Trout, no one can deny Robert Verde and your accomplishments. I spoke, in the past ,with several players that played on Blast Gold and all had nothing but respect for RVerde and yourself. So the question is........with your resume' why can't we build that team we are talking about and get all the best players on one team. I think some of the thoughts that run through players and parents minds when choosing a team are;

1) I want my DD playing a certain position.

2) The coachs themselves . Whether it's the hitting style they teach or how they relate to the girls.

3) Location and the amount of practice time.

4) And maybe other girls that have played for a coach and had a bad experience.

5) And ,of course, the amount of exposer a coach can get for his girls.

I think there are several really good coaches , including Trout, in the area that can help our girls out but the trick is getting all the girls on one team. I would love to see it happen.

I understand wanting for your kid to play a certain position but is that the best position for them to get recruited to play college. Sometimes others are able to make a more realistic decisions that the parent or kid because there is sentimental attachment. If the coach has a constant  level of success there should be no problem there. If the amount of practice time is a issue then we have a committ problem with the kid. What abut all the good experiences the successful kids have had. If your are not getting the exposure you are in the wrong place to start with but, then again if your team is always losing then you will not ever get seen. The parents have to be willing to give the reins to someone else and trust them. Just my thoughts and your points are very well taken Pirates 88 at least you show an understanding and that you care.

Same song, different verse.....

I recall that Verde/Trout's Blast Gold team's only had a few to tryout every year and those teams qualified for gold nationals 3 or 4 years in a row in what was a tougher qualifying format at the time. There were only a few "local" players on those teams over the multiple years (probably missed a few).

Verde

Trahan

Lemoine

Parker

Blythe

Godwyn

Autry

So, what was the deciding factor for local players back then on not to attempt a tryout and is it any different from today? They were a tremendous sucess story back then, but for the local community, not many noticed all their accomplishments until they won the AFA nationals, and then that was only thing they were known for locally.

I think part of the answer of why they won't play for some coaches is reputation of the coach or program.  I would say generally the reputation giving to the coach is in part by people that have never played or worked with them yet they have a loud opinion of who they are or how they do it. I know we had players and parents that had a different perspective after they came and played for Blast Gold. Hated us before, but once they saw from the inside they liked what we did. Same thing went the other way with kids getting bad reputations, heard some of that on this board, and when you get to know them the reputation didn't match. Sometimes there are just personality conflicts that can't be resolved.

1) I want my DD playing a certain position. What guarantee is there that she'll play that position in college?

2) The coachs themselves . Whether it's the hitting style they teach or how they relate to the girls. This is a real challenge for many parents. Allowing someone else to take the reins.

3) Location and the amount of practice time. The answer to this point is "Whatever It Takes"

4) And maybe other girls that have played for a coach and had a bad experience. You need to ask the right questions and do the research when selecting a team. Also, question that player with the bad experience and find out what their goals, work ethic and commitment are. At least to get to next level. You'll make the right choice!

5) And ,of course, the amount of exposer a coach can get for his girls. BINGO!! I would hope that you would select a team that their agenda and goals include playing the RR, qualify for "Gold" and do well at "Gold" (at minimum).  The key word is exposure...

Getting the best players on the same team has always been a problem. I think a major part of that would be less about who coaches it and a lot more about how much time is needed to accomplish how much. Balancing the 2 is the trick. I think the kids in our area are divided more based on time and commitment rather than what they want to accomplish. I believe all or most want to play at a high level and win. Do they have a good enough chance of achieving the top to justify putting more in.

Before I get mauled over this one there is nothing wrong with whatever balance a family chooses. All of us have limits and have to figure what works best. The question is do we have a system in place in our area to help our kids live whatever dream they have. That could be just learning the game and having fun to playing for the Olympic Team. We had some that got good enough to star on their school team and didn't want to go further. The time commitment didn't match what our teams requirement was. No problem and no hard feelings. I have coached and have watched a lot of kids from our area play and can only think of one that, had she chosen to, could have not worked as hard as the rest and she could have competed with the top in the country. What are we doing to give as many as possible the opportunity to reach their potential.

We need a organization with a large enough group of coaches and teams, doesn't have to be all, that demands a certain standard.(this is hard to do and why we separated from Blast). If you coach a team your are required to meet the standard. That includes all aspects of the game and the mental that helps these kids as they enter their adult life.

How do you practice

How much do you practice

What do you teach(and no I don't just teach rotational ask Cody and Lauren)

What tournaments are you playing in

What are you doing to get kids recruited

What are you doing to further your education

Do you have or does someone on your staff have good knowledge in all phases of thegame          (who helps the pitcher in the middle of the game)

Etc, etc

My experience has been kids will commit to a lot if they are getting better every day. They put up with me and Trout. If you want them to chase a dream show them how to catch it.

I appreciate that, but we tried that and it hasn't worked yet. To much resentment or maybe we are to arrogant. Just like all the other coaches we have confidence in what we do. We have put the egos aside and come together to be stronger as a group. If you get enough of the strongest coaches together it would work if you came up with a program that those coaches agreed to.

letting go is a problem for most. the question is why is that? there will be as many answers as there are coaches that are dads.

McCain stepped down last year for the betterment of his child...consequently others have benefitted.

i stepped down this year for the betterment of my kid....consequently others will benefit.

the difference in McCain and I is that we spent countless hours around the Blast Gold program and its coaches and players. we saw first hand the level of commitment those players and coaches showed toward each other. yes it went both ways, neither one wanted to be the one to let the other down.

i for one would rather my kid practice only with any of these coaches or former players than to PLAY for anyone else. one day she will be good enough to actually play....until then she will work hard and learn from the best.

some show resentment toward the Shockers for many reasons....or toward me. when we decided to put this team together is was intended to bring the best together.....thats why we chose the staff we chose. it also allowed for a NON dad to coach. it worked....just not how we had it drawn up on paper. the only players that showed up was the ones no one else wanted. they believed in the coaches and theirselves and had a great year. so will those that follow from year in and year out.

just my thoughts!

Been out of pocket for a few days, so just getting around to posting. It is hard to give up control, especially if you have guided your child through travel ball and feel as if you have done a pretty good job, but you have to be able to admit that there are people who can help bring her to a even higher level. Cody going to BG was tough, had seen RV from across the field a few times and wasn't sure. Went to a few practices and saw how intense, thorough, and attentive to detail it was and encouraged Cody that this was the right move for her. I thought this team could help her achieve more than maybe she thought she could, so it was a big step for her. She got to know the girls and they accepted her right of way. The thing that has been missing from this conversation is trust. After watching how hard Robert worked for the girls that were not superstars you got a true appreciation for how much he cares. We talked about a few situations over the years, but I really never questioned any of his moves because I TRUSTED him. I am not saying I always agreed, but one thing is I never doubted that he was doing what he thought was best for the TEAM. Becky did question the changeup call, though.  ;) The thing you need is

Talent

Commitment from the player

Commitment from the parents

Trust

Without all of these you are doomed for failure.

Guest shake and bake

I would be happy to give my kid up to anybody besides me . Let me keep the book and keep the stats which is what I do most of the time now.  :D:)

Guest shake and bake

I would be happy to give my kid up to anybody besides me . Let me keep the book and keep the stats which is what I do most of the time now.  :D:)

Funny your DD told me the same thing.She would give you up. ;D ;D ;D

You take her ,you feed her,you buy her gas but more importantly you buy her shoes and you can have her! ;D

Funny your DD told me the same thing.She would give you up. ;D ;D ;D

You take her ,you feed her,you buy her gas but more importantly you buy her shoes and you can have her! ;D

Heck no I have smelled those shoes!

you RV are missing.  yes you had players come and go as needed, but you ALWAYS had your core group of players.  I think your sucess was 1. you stayed ahead with the new and improved things that came up in softball yearly. 2. you coached each girl differently because what works for one might not for another.  3. you listened to your players questions or ideas and calmly told them why something wouldn't work or said hey lets try it.  4. you also coached the parents and got their involvment and that went a long way.  That core group and then some would have followed you anywhere and probly still would.  there is an art to coaching and you have it.  you left no child behind and we all thank you RV

I got a phone call this morning from someone asking me what was so special about the Blast Gold team and what made it work.  I stumbled all over my words because I really and truly do not know what made it work.  After I hung up the phone I got to really thinking about it.

Here are my thoughts:

The players knew what was expected out of them and they knew that the coaches would reciprocate to fulfill their expectations.  Meaning, if you were required to be at practice, then you knew the coaches would be there working just as hard, if not harder than you were.  

We as parents did not always agree with the coaches, we trusted the coaches and knew they had our child’s best interest at heart.  

The coaches respected the girls.

The demand for perfection was there but not to the point that it would break the players down.  Meaning, they knew the ability of each player.  What was expected out of mine may not have been expected of someone else’s.  Not that each player wasn’t pushed – they were, just at different levels.  Kind of like academics – you have some that are and will always be straight “A†students and nothing less will be accepted, while others when they make a “C†it is party time.

We had “daddy ball†– but it was not that “daddy†had one girl on the team – all of those girls were his.  I would venture to say unless you personally knew our coach and knew which child was actually his daughter there is no way you could pick her out.  He treated all of them the same.  This is probably the biggest thing that made this team work like it did.  

Accountability was placed on everyone.  We won with class and lost with class.  Each player accepted full responsibility for each loss.  After each loss, the question was “what could you have done differently to have helped us win.â€

For those that say “money†was the ultimate factor in our team’s success – you are sorely mistaken.  Money did not replace the hard work these players and coaches put in.  Our girls worked hard for their success on the field.  Their dedication to perfection and the thrill of reaching each milestone by working hard was their driving force.  This same dedication followed them into college.

It took LOTS of years to reach the status that we ended with.  I can remember our very first tournament as a young 12& Under team (most of our players were still eligible for 10 & Under) going to Woodville for our first game EVER – we got beat BAD.  It was horrible – that is where it began!

How can we get others to step-up and display this same passion for a game – I am not sure.  Maybe those wanting this to happen can contribute to the discussion and let us know what is missing.

I usually try to stay off of these boards, but on this one I will add a bit.

Another very important factor that most everyone needs to understand and allow to happen is that softball, especially summer softball because of the demands and difficulty, is more than just softball. Softball teaches you many many many life lessons. If everytime you have a tough situation present itself in life you tuck your tail and run then you're never going to ammount to anything. Playing for the right coaches isn't just about softball at all. The right coaches know how to push, break down a little bit, and build back up for the stronger kid. Softball is just like life. It's not ever going to be, nor should it be, easy. It's all about overcoming obstacles and trusting yourself to step out on that ledge from time to time. Don't say you want to play D1 softball and not allow yourself to get away from your family and friends. My dad coached me along with all of my buddies from school with Express. The fall that we switched to Blast was very scary and gave me much anxiety. Even after making the team I wasn't able to play to my own ability for atleast two months because I was trying to hard to impress and be better. Nobody likes change and it's never easy but sometimes you just have to grab the bull by the horns, say goodbye to the best friend and the "second father figure" and do what is best for you. Don't be one that falls into horror stories from others who may have had a bad experience or heard of one if you yourself haven't even given it a chance. No matter how hard you think it might be, how scary it might seem, or how tolling it will be at first, the fact is...if you want this "super team" to happen with the best of the best then you have to step out of your comfort zone and make the decision that is best for you or your child to get THEM to where the WANT to be. Friends will still be there in the end whether you're on the same field sweating with them or not. In that case also, you have the opportunity to make some amazing new ones. The ones I gained with the move are the ones that I still keep in contact with. We all know how things are in H.S. aren't how they will continue to be for the rest of our lives, so don't let that hold you back. Also, if you're a dad that still wants to be there for your kid then that's great. You still get to have the truck rides to the tournaments and all that bonding time, you just get to sweat a little less and sit in the stands. Your kid will always be your kid, will always listen to you, and always love you. Love her enough to cut the cord and let her be pushed to the point of exahustion, only to come back up better than you ever thought possible. Then see how proud you will feel knowing that THAT is YOUR KID!!

It's always a choice you have to make and a path you have to trust. The real question is, can you be brave enough to do what you need to do?

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder