What would it take to get the best SETX girls on one 18U team.

I hope this doesn't get out of hand, but I was just wondering what it would take to get all of the best SETX girls on one team. Is there any scenario where it could work? My thoughts are that you would first have to create an association that included all girls from the greater SETX (we will worry about boundaries later) that were interested in playing ball. The next thing is to select which team is going to be first and that team would get first draft of available girls, with the draft continuing until all girls are placed on a team. This would create the strongest possible teams while leaving no one out and making sure everyone has a place to play. The problem would be, who gets to coach the team and I guess that's the hurdle we can never get over. The impact organization is a litlle like this but more loosely organized. Over the years we have just dilluted our talent so much that it is hard to field that really great team. The Shockers did a great job of geting to Nationals, but I just feel it could happen more often if we all pulled together. Lets keep this positive, but if it gets too out of hand I will have to lock it.

Mr.T, 

I have been hoping that this would happen for several years now.  I agree that it would be the best thing our area could do for Girls softball.  My daughter has been playing for a team in Houston for her 16U and 18U career.  Her team has qualified for ASA Nationals every year so far. I would love for the girls in this area to experience the game at the national level. They don't know what they are missing.

With that said:  I feel that there are some pretty strong willed Coaches and players that will move on to college ball this fall.  There is a new group of parents and players that ( I think ) will be open to the idea you have proposed.  The new organization's goals would need to be clear and the purpose well defined.  I feel they must have a strong 16U program as well as an 18U "exposure" team for uncommitted players and an 18 Gold team for ASA Nationals.  We have the talent in this area to be national contenders,  we just need the proper organization, coaching, education, and participation.

Personalities will always get in the way. How do you judge who would be the best coach and staff for this team? Everyone has thier own opionion and not every kid can play for certain coaches. How do you handle kids that develop and pass others on the team after the team is formed. The only way to do it is to have the finicail backing at a high level so you can enter the biggest and best tournaments all over the country and not be a burden on the parents. Then you could get players to move towards that team and they would live with whatever they had to to be sucessful. 

Personalities will always get in the way. How do you judge who would be the best coach and staff for this team? Everyone has thier own opionion and not every kid can play for certain coaches. How do you handle kids that develop and pass others on the team after the team is formed. The only way to do it is to have the finicail backing at a high level so you can enter the biggest and best tournaments all over the country and not be a burden on the parents. Then you could get players to move towards that team and they would live with whatever they had to to be sucessful. 

Trout the who is the biggest hurdle. The others can easily be handled. As far as development of players, there would be a draft every year, so that the kids that progressed would be awarded for their efforts. You would also allow exemptions for personality conflicts or for players who had a special relationship with one of the coaches of another team. This would need to be held in check as much as possible so that it didn't get out of hand or we would end right back where we are...........and money is always a concern. I know this is difficult, but we have always talked in real general terms and it never goes anywhere. I was hoping that people would input some specifics of how this might work as far as organization and process and that would spur serious consideration as a possibility.

I still think money would be a big issue. I know teams from Houston that go to every ASA Gold Qualifier there is. That means 2 to 3 plane trips out of State and the team pays for it either thru their teams dues or from corpart sponsors. I also know of teams that charge as much as $1500.00 in the Fall and $2500.00 in the Spring. The team then arraigns and takes care of the all the Hotels and plane tickets and what ever equipment is needed. These teams have strong support from the local corpart companies. If you had 1 group that was able to secure these kind of funds or families that were able to come up with this kind of money I believe that the kids would come. Just my take on the matter. I also know of some of the California teams that pay ther coaches as much as $70,000.00 a year inculding lessons given.

I agree. I think the biggest hang up will be the money it would take to put this kind of team together. Especially to make several trips out of state (Flying). And the way things are in the area now, money is going to be a major concern of most of the parents.

Some teams do chase Gold quite a bit. My philosophy has always been that you have two tournaments to qualify, if you don't make it in them, then probably don't need to go. I would however fly to a couple of exposure tournaments. One in the NE, and one in Florida. To me the California ones are debatable because My opinion is that they are heavily attended by coaches from the NW looking specifically at Cali girls. Now there are other schools there and you can get noticed here, certainly, but your odds are better at the other tournaments. Big Daddy had a good idea, maybe this should start at the 16U level and develop from there. Maybe even younger. We are not Houston so there is not that kind of money here, so we can't copy them, only use them as a guide and use what works for us.  A good percentage of the girls playing D1 ball from this area got to do what we are talking about because it was led by a strong personality. He also had the facilities and a core of great players that attracted others. What I am saying is that these girls benefited from this experience and it helped them get where they are, and I would like to see the future stars get the same opportunity.

I also believe that kids and parents have a certain comfort level where they are and to move to somewhere new creates a level stress that a lot of people are not willing to live with. The fear of the unknown or a new team keeps alot of kids from trying out for a new team. The fear of trying out for a team and not making it keeps people from attempting it. It is easier to stay where you are and be safe than try something new. I understand why people feel the way do but, it can hinder your ability to achieve your dreams when these things get in your way. Tryouts for teams will be announced soon so if idea is going to be pursed it needs to happen soon.

Guest Sports Reporter

I also believe that kids and parents have a certain comfort level where they are and to move to somewhere new creates a level stress that a lot of people are not willing to live with. The fear of the unknown or a new team keeps alot of kids from trying out for a new team. The fear of trying out for a team and not making it keeps people from attempting it. It is easier to stay where you are and be safe than try something new. I understand why people feel the way do but, it can hinder your ability to achieve your dreams when these things get in your way. Tryouts for teams will be announced soon so if idea is going to be pursed it needs to happen soon.

Great post Robert

Why the talk about airfare - we only flew one time in all our years of playing and that was to ASA Gold Nationals in California. 

Food for thought:  If trying out for a new team makes you nervous, then maybe college softball is not for you.  Part of maturing both on and off the field is getting outside of your comfort zone and taking a chance. If you do not make the team, then work harder so the next year you CAN make the team.  Each step to playing at the highest level is putting yourself out there and working your tail off.  Being content and comfortable in your current level does not cut it.

Just a thought........ Ask Nederland Intensity!!!!

I agree.....Intensity proved to all what this area might be capable of if we can get the right talent on ONE team  ( instead of spreading it around to several teams ).

Talent usually beats comitment, and if you have both,  then you have something really special !

No you don't understand, they had a great team, but they didn't have all of the best players. What could be done with the best 12-15 kids from the area, this was just the tip of the iceberg.

I'll agree we didn't have all the best individual players on this team.  But as a TEAM they are the best playing together in the area.  You can have 12 - 15 of the BEST players talent wise but if they can't play as a TEAM it doesn't matter.    Intensity is a sisterhood of girls that believe in each other, stand behind each other and love each other.  Also this group of players are the biggest bunch of cut-ups and goof-offs that you'll ever see.  They have fun and they are fun to be around.  But when they hit the field, its like turning on a switch.  It's show time and they truly believe that they are capable of beating any opponent they face.  One thing I learned is sometimes we can try and control or over coach these kids when infact they probably know more about this game than we do.  Ask anyone these kid basically coach themselves.

No you don't understand, they had a great team, but they didn't have all of the best players. What could be done with the best 12-15 kids from the area, this was just the tip of the iceberg.

I'll agree we didn't have all the best individual players on this team.  But as a TEAM they are the best playing together in the area.  You can have 12 - 15 of the BEST players talent wise but if they can't play as a TEAM it doesn't matter.    Intensity is a sisterhood of girls that believe in each other, stand behind each other and love each other.  Also this group of players are the biggest bunch of cut-ups and goof-offs that you'll ever see.  They have fun and they are fun to be around.  But when they hit the field, its like turning on a switch.  It's show time and they truly believe that they are capable of beating any opponent they face.  One thing I learned is sometimes we can try and control or over coach these kids when infact they probably know more about this game than we do.  Ask anyone these kid basically coach themselves.

Good post OSUE.  I agree good coaching is essential--- but it is not all the essential elements of having a good quality team.  The players have to believe in themselves, believe in each other, and with good coaching, then you should have a good team.  Getting players to believe in each other can be a difficult thing to coach.

I'll agree we didn't have all the best individual players on this team.   But as a TEAM they are the best playing together in the area.   You can have 12 - 15 of the BEST players talent wise but if they can't play as a TEAM it doesn't matter.    Intensity is a sisterhood of girls that believe in each other, stand behind each other and love each other.  Also this group of players are the biggest bunch of cut-ups and goof-offs that you'll ever see.  They have fun and they are fun to be around.  But when they hit the field, its like turning on a switch.  It's show time and they truly believe that they are capable of beating any opponent they face.   One thing I learned is sometimes we can try and control or over coach these kids when infact they probably know more about this game than we do.   Ask anyone these kid basically coach themselves.

No one could argue, and I certainly would not want to take away from what they have accomplished. The point is, if we could do more to get the very best on one team, we would see girls accomplish more than they ever dreamed any year, not just this year.

Congrats on a great run.

o one could argue, and I certainly would not want to take away from what they have accomplished. The point is, if we could do more to get the very best on one team, we would see girls accomplish more than they ever dreamed any year, not just this year.

Congrats on a great run.

Not going to happen JT. The scarifies of letting some else being in charge is something people are not willing to do. We attempt to do our best by teaching hard work does payoff and giving the kids the skills they need to be successful in both softball and life. Sorry JT nobody wants it bad enough to do what it would take.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder