UIL steroids testing finds 8 positives out of 16,000

UIL steroids testing finds 8 positives out of 16,000

Associated Press

AUSTIN — Another 16,000 steroids tests of Texas public high school athletes caught eight cheaters.

The University Interscholastic League on Friday released the latest results of the 2-year-old program. They show that about 45,000 total tests have confirmed 19 cases of steroids use.

Given so few positive results, state lawmakers have agreed to scale it back over the next two years. The Legislature slashed spending for the program from $6 million to $2 million.

Besides the eight confirmed tests disclosed Friday, the UIL says there are another 62 cases deemed “protocol positives.â€

That happens when an athlete has an unexcused absence on the day they are selected for testing or refuses to provide a urine sample.

The latest results were from tests conducted from January through May.

One program that's a definite huge waste of money. They need to make schools assign a complaince officer not connected with the athletics department and if they suspect somethin then have several players take the test instead of totally random.

Not disagreeing but then you will have people that say the compliance officer is targeting certain students. If it is truly random, then everyone stands the same chance and no one is singled out. Start pointing out problem students and watch the sparks fly.

One program that's a definite huge waste of money. They need to make schools assign a complaince officer not connected with the athletics department and if they suspect somethin then have several players take the test instead of totally random.

JMO, but I totally disagree with this statement.  With the problem of steroids being a national problem and in the media (professional sports), I feel like that if kids are made aware of this problem early and the "threat" of them being tested is there, they will think twice about doing it.  Scale it back, maybe; totally get rid of it, NO.  Even if a handfull of kids test positive and they are "caught" at an early age, their life may be saved in the long run.

8 out of 16,000....and I thought there was supposed to be a problem. Maybe if we poured these millions of dollars into catching the SOBs who make and distribute these drugs, which is  money better spent and would save many more lives, then we wouldn't have to worry about saving these 8 kids. They would be clean and we wouldn't have to worry about making those teams forfeit all those games because they were caught cheating....which is what this is all about anyway.....winning football games, not saving lives. Have a nice day, and by the way, test your own kid!

8 out of 16,000....and I thought there was supposed to be a problem. Maybe if we poured these millions of dollars into catching the SOBs who make and distribute these drugs, which is  money better spent and would save many more lives, then we wouldn't have to worry about saving these 8 kids. They would be clean and we wouldn't have to worry about making those teams forfeit all those games because they were caught cheating....which is what this is all about anyway.....winning football games, not saving lives. Have a nice day, and by the way, test your own kid!

Drug companies make most of them I believe...the people I've heard of using them were all using horse steroids.

Drug companies make most of them I believe...the people I've heard of using them were all using horse steroids.

Read this article...controlling the pharmaceutical ones is easier...

This is the hidden content, please

JMO, but I totally disagree with this statement.  With the problem of steroids being a national problem and in the media (professional sports), I feel like that if kids are made aware of this problem early and the "threat" of them being tested is there, they will think twice about doing it.  Scale it back, maybe; totally get rid of it, NO.  Even if a handfull of kids test positive and they are "caught" at an early age, their life may be saved in the long run.

I agree. What about those 62 that no showed on the day of testing? Seems like you would not tell the kids they are being tested beforehand, maybe some coaches have the heads up?

JMO, but I totally disagree with this statement.  With the problem of steroids being a national problem and in the media (professional sports), I feel like that if kids are made aware of this problem early and the "threat" of them being tested is there, they will think twice about doing it.  Scale it back, maybe; totally get rid of it, NO.  Even if a handfull of kids test positive and they are "caught" at an early age, their life may be saved in the long run.

I agree. What about those 62 that no showed on the day of testing? Seems like you would not tell the kids they are being tested beforehand, maybe some coaches have the heads up?

Add the 62 to the 8 and you get 70. That's only if all 62 were to test positive. 70 out of 16000 is still 1/2 of 1 percent which is not a multi-million dollar problem. Yeah, I know. Here comes the guy who will say that if even one child is 'saved' (I hate that bogus approach), then the money was well spent. I tell you what, you send me multi-millions of dollars and I will assure you that you will have savd my one child. I'd even go on tv and let everyone know that their contribution was appreciated.

Add the 62 to the 8 and you get 70. That's only if all 62 were to test positive. 70 out of 16000 is still 1/2 of 1 percent which is not a multi-million dollar problem. Yeah, I know. Here comes the guy who will say that if even one child is 'saved' (I hate that bogus approach), then the money was well spent. I tell you what, you send me multi-millions of dollars and I will assure you that you will have savd my one child. I'd even go on tv and let everyone know that their contribution was appreciated.

Yea your probably right but I guess I would rather see it spent this way than given to the greedy congressman to throw away on some nonsense.jmo

JMO, but I totally disagree with this statement.  With the problem of steroids being a national problem and in the media (professional sports), I feel like that if kids are made aware of this problem early and the "threat" of them being tested is there, they will think twice about doing it.  Scale it back, maybe; totally get rid of it, NO.  Even if a handfull of kids test positive and they are "caught" at an early age, their life may be saved in the long run.

I agree.  Can't put a price on a kid's life...

If they didn't show up that day and refused to test, then they should be consequenced like they had tested positive.  It seems that perhaps they did have a heads-up.  A friend of mine lives in BC and her daughter is a junior this year.  In the last three years, she has been drug-tested six or seven times.  She's a pretty safe bet.  I would hope that it is completely random, but I don't know.  The dealer of the steroids (MD or veterinarian or anyone in between) is the biggest culprit.  And, unfortunately, I think more parents know (than don't know) that their child is doing steroids. 

Difficult to test a kid for three years in a two year old program. Also difficult to put a price on a kid's llife (if that is indeed what we are doing  ::)) but the UIL's stats show that amount to be $315,789.47. That's 19 positive test results divided into $6 million. Scaling that back to $2million, would be 1/3 of that amount. Kid's lives must be taking a downturn. Also 19 positives out of 47,000 tests shows that steroid use is not as rampant as originally thought. I bet more kids get killed crossing the street than dying from steroid use. Maybe we could spend those millions of dollars on "street crossing classes" and save many more lives than this futile programs. What's that? You say parent should teach their kids the proper way to cross a street? How dare we bring parents into this. It's the school's responsibility after the kids leave the house.  ::) After all, let's get our money's worth from the school taxes we pay. But as self-righteous as we are, we will continue our flag waving ways, squandering millions of dollars, and believing that we somehow saved a kid from himself. How pompous, transparent, and shallow we truly are.

I feel for other parents whose kids have gone wrong. I really do, but I just don't feel that I am somehow responsible and should throw money at it.

I have a son and I talk to him about drugs. I have asked him on several occasions if anyone has ever approached him, attempting to sell him drugs. I look him square in the eye when he answers because I can tell if he is lying. (Yeah, I love my kid enough to know him this well) If I thought he was lying or if he said yes, I would get a name out of him, contact the school and police if need be, and by doing that, I will have personally saved countless lives by taking a DEALER off the street. What's more, it didn't cost the taxpayer one red cent more than the taxes they are already paying to the school and police. Gee, I guess I can now order my t-shirt and maybe even splurge on a hat pin.

Difficult to test a kid for three years in a two year old program. Also difficult to put a price on a kid's llife (if that is indeed what we are doing  ::)) but the UIL's stats show that amount to be $315,789.47. That's 19 positive test results divided into $6 million. Scaling that back to $2million, would be 1/3 of that amount. Kid's lives must be taking a downturn. Also 19 positives out of 47,000 tests shows that steroid use is not as rampant as originally thought. I bet more kids get killed crossing the street than dying from steroid use. Maybe we could spend those millions of dollars on "street crossing classes" and save many more lives than this futile programs. What's that? You say parent should teach their kids the proper way to cross a street? How dare we bring parents into this. It's the school's responsibility after the kids leave the house.  ::) After all, let's get our money's worth from the school taxes we pay. But as self-righteous as we are, we will continue our flag waving ways, squandering millions of dollars, and believing that we somehow saved a kid from himself. How pompous, transparent, and shallow we truly are.

I feel for other parents whose kids have gone wrong. I really do, but I just don't feel that I am somehow responsible and should throw money at it.

I have a son and I talk to him about drugs. I have asked him on several occasions if anyone has ever approached him, attempting to sell him drugs. I look him square in the eye when he answers because I can tell if he is lying. (Yeah, I love my kid enough to know him this well) If I thought he was lying or if he said yes, I would get a name out of him, contact the school and police if need be, and by doing that, I will have personally saved countless lives by taking a DEALER off the street. What's more, it didn't cost the taxpayer one red cent more than the taxes they are already paying to the school and police. Gee, I guess I can now order my t-shirt and maybe even splurge on a hat pin.

Wow...if only the countless parents over the years (whose kids tried/abused/or were addicted to any substance) would have thought about talking to their kids and "knowing" their kids well enough to know when they were lying.  Sometimes, it might not be that easy.  I, too, believe that it is the parent(s)'s job to teach their kids to not only say no to any drug, but also let their parents know if they know of someone who is attempting to get kids to try drugs.  Does it happen? Yes and no.  Are there still countless kids who lie to their all-to-trusting-parents?  Yes and no.  Will it continue?  I'm sure.  There are those who will become manipulative enough to convince their parents that they have not (or never will) try drugs and then there some parents who actually probably have a clue that there is a problem, but are too scared/cowardly/or just don't care to address the problem and do something about it.

Wow...if only the countless parents over the years (whose kids tried/abused/or were addicted to any substance) would have thought about talking to their kids and "knowing" their kids well enough to know when they were lying.  Sometimes, it might not be that easy.  I, too, believe that it is the parent(s)'s job to teach their kids to not only say no to any drug, but also let their parents know if they know of someone who is attempting to get kids to try drugs.  Does it happen? Yes and no.  Are there still countless kids who lie to their all-to-trusting-parents?  Yes and no.  Will it continue?  I'm sure.  There are those who will become manipulative enough to convince their parents that they have not (or never will) try drugs and then there some parents who actually probably have a clue that there is a problem, but are too scared/cowardly/or just don't care to address the problem and do something about it.

Wow, if only you could bring some facts to bear for your argument, it could lend some credence to your debate. Actually, you don't debate, you simply disagree for the sake of indifference. I immediately addressed your statement about the girl who you say was tested over a three year period, when in actuality, the program has only been in existence for two. I guess you really can't rebutt that. Then you said it's hard to put a price on saving a kid. I not only came up with a price, I even showed that its value is going down. Again, no rebuttal. I showed how the testing program has proven there is no steroid problem and is a ridiculous waste of millions of dollars. No argument there either. Then, about the holier-than-thou, see-through, lacking depth of knowledge, I blamed the sign toters, who seem to get a warm fuzzy feeling inside when they feel they have somehow saved a kid by throwing money at the problem. No response again. Then, I give an example of how I treat my kid and the positive results it can have, while not spending any more money, and the only thing you do is attack that personal portion by insinuating that I think I am unique in my approach. Let's hope not.

Since you think this testing will save lives, please enlighten me as to why you would think that the 19 kids who tested positive are saved? Do you think that simply getting caught will make them stop? Hardly....even the fear of being caught didn't stop them. Of course, people always think the other guy is the one who will get caught. Is there some provision for counseling or rehabilitation for these kids? Big fat NO! Their only punishment is that they are suspended from the sport or extracurricular activity they are involved with. Please show me where six million dollars is worth that!

As for parenting, you have parents like myself (and hopefully yourself) who treat their kids with love and respect, but still are the boss over their teenager. My kid may become the biggest drug user in the world, but it won't be while he lives at home. The kids I feel for are those that are not loved at all, those whose parents love them but are afraid (like you said) to discipline them for fear of distancing themselves from their kid, and then the ones who are spoiled and unsupervised in any venture. Nothing is 100% effective, but spending six million dollars and turning up an insignificant number of positive tests statewide, does absolutely nothing towards saving these kids. The proof is in the scale back.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kinghoyn
    Newest Member
    kinghoyn