SLC hoop tourney back @ Merrell for 2 more years

FRISCO, Texas – The Southland Conference concluded its annual Spring Meeting last week with news related to its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, a continued focus on academic improvement and cost containment measures in the struggling national economy.

Men’s and women’s basketball coaches, football coaches, athletic directors, faculty representatives, senior woman administrators, presidents and special guests attended the year-end business meetings, which were held May 26-29, at the San Luis Resort and Convention Center in Galveston, Texas.

“This was another productive week for coaches and administrators, as we covered a great deal of information and made important decisions for the future of the conference,†Southland commissioner Tom Burnett said. “There is always a great spirit of camaraderie and cooperation among our meeting attendees as they value the conference and the benefits of the continued athletic and academic partnerships.â€

The presidential Board of Directors voted to conduct the 2010 and 2011 State Farm Southland Conference Men’s and Women’s Basketball Tournaments at the Merrell Center in Katy, Texas. The tournament, which was also played at the Merrell Center in 2008 and 2009, will remain as an eight-team men’s and women’s event with the event winners earning automatic berths into the NCAA tournament. The 2010 tournament will be held March 10-13.

“The basketball coaches and administrators are in general agreement that the tournament continues to grow and improve,†Burnett said. The influx of corporate sponsorship revenue, the warm welcome our teams and visitors receive in Katy, the expanded television exposure, and the traditional Division I postseason experience led the presidents to approve the extension.â€

The Board also approved an Advisory Council recommendation to reduce the number of non-Division I opponents in men’s and women’s basketball in 2010-11 and 2011-12. Men’s and women’s teams will only be permitted to play a maximum of three non-Division I opponents in 2010-11 and two such teams in 2011-12. Basketball teams are currently allowed to play the NCAA maximum of four non-Division I opponents.

Administrators reviewed the conference’s updated data from the NCAA Academic Performance Program, acknowledged an improving trend in many sports and continued to mandate further progress to ensure the conference’s institution meet Division I standards.

“While we can collectively point to considerable progress in the Academic Performance Program in the last year, the presidents were again very clear that continued improvement remains the number one priority for all institutions in the conference,†Burnett said.

The administrative groups also reaffirmed a number of previously approved cost-reduction measures in 2009-10, including the consolidation of administrative meetings, freezes in officiating fees in most sports and the use of conference calls instead of in-person meetings for all coaches’ committees.

Further cost-reduction actions include the distribution of championship mementos only to student-athletes and other student personnel, and the requiring the track and field coaches to establish championship qualifying standards or entrant limitations effective in 2009-10.

Administrators decided not to reduce the number of teams that currently qualify for conference championships, but will continue to study the implementation of travel squad limitations in future regular-season travel.

The conference also approved championship sites for the 2010-11 academic year, including host locations for men’s and women’s cross country (Lamar), women’s soccer (Southeastern Louisiana), volleyball (Sam Houston State), men’s and women’s tennis (UTSA), softball (Sam Houston State) and baseball (Texas State).

The conference’s Hall of Honors ceremony was held during the meeting, with former basketball legends Joe Dumars from McNeese State and women’s coach Gary Blair of Stephen F. Austin being inducted. Additionally, the conference’s F.L. McDonald Postgraduate Scholarships were awarded to Jordan Nipp, a baseball student-athlete at Northwestern State, and to Marie Moser, a women’s basketball student-athlete at Texas State. The Steve McCarty Citizenship Awards were presented to Kenrick Cormier, a football student-athlete at McNeese State, and Lyndzee Greene, a women’s basketball student-athlete at Northwestern State.

Guest coachacola
The Board also approved an Advisory Council recommendation to reduce the number of non-Division I opponents in men’s and women’s basketball in 2010-11 and 2011-12. Men’s and women’s teams will only be permitted to play a maximum of three non-Division I opponents in 2010-11 and two such teams in 2011-12. Basketball teams are currently allowed to play the NCAA maximum of four non-Division I opponents.

Yeah!!

Yeah!!

Don't "Yeah" yet - we need to hope that our schools utilize this the right way in order to improve on RPI by getting more home-and-home agreements against teams that will help boost the league RPI. Hopefully, this does not mean two more guarantee games for the schools and two less home games...

Pretty pathetic a conference uses a high school facility for their tourney.   It should rotate around.

Agree...and in a city that does not have an SLC team. I'm all for rotating the entire tournament each year. At least give the revenue to the cities in the SLC that can host. (ie. facilities and hotel availability) SLC is run by idiots anyway.

Guest DickVitale

No city wants to bid on the SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT!! Its a loss in revenue waiting to happen....Its not a good league nor is it well watched...They should consider themselves LUCKY to get the Merrill Center! ::)

Guest DickVitale

NO, actually I put the SWAC in the same bag with the SOUTHLAND....Terrible leagues...SWAC tourney is held in Birmingham, AL...At the COUNTY FAIR GROUNDS!! HORRIBLE facility! Southland should count their lucky stars....

Guest DickVitale

Because they dont want to LOSE MONEY! If Lamar was winning the league every year, then it would be considered...First round exits mean that there will be no fans on days 2 and 3, therefore meaning a profit loss....They should be glad to be at the Merrill Center, cause for the Southland, thats about as good as its gonna get. ;)

You always want to talk down...  Were have you been a head coach of a college that is better than LU.... NONE... You were shown the door at the retarded little brother of Lamar (only meant the athletic department of lscpa)... so why are you gonna talk trash on a place that you will never have a chance to coach...  And you will never have a chance to coach at a place that is anywhere near the level...

No city wants to bid on the SOUTHLAND CONFERENCE TOURNAMENT!! Its a loss in revenue waiting to happen....Its not a good league nor is it well watched...They should consider themselves LUCKY to get the Merrill Center! ::)

Bull or ignorance, the ticket sales to the tournament would barely scratch a few hundred at each game. Depending on the team.

The hotel and restaurant money from visitors would put a few million into a local economy.

Guest DickVitale

You always want to talk down...  Were have you been a head coach of a college that is better than LU.... NONE... You were shown the door at the retarded little brother of Lamar (only meant the athletic department of lscpa)... so why are you gonna talk trash on a place that you will never have a chance to coach...  And you will never have a chance to coach at a place that is anywhere near the level...

Wrong again dumb, country guy  ::)....I accepted a MUCH HIGHER PAYING JOB AS A HEAD COACH IN HOUSTON IN MARCH. I was not shown any door as you put it.  Furthermore, If I choose to pursue and GET a job at LU I can, because I am more than qualified...Thats up to me, not you.  You think LU is BIG TIME? Boy are you dumb, blind or both!! Yes its a job, but not my dream job by far..I am in a MUCH better spot here, believe that...

Guest DickVitale

Billy Tubbs and Roc have known me and my FAMILY for YEARS....If a job came open, and I WANTED it, there is no reason being that I am qualified to get it, and have experience that I could not get it. (We are not talking about Duke here folks).If he chose someone else, thats just how it goes..I have a great job and am staying right here....You floor sellers and McDonalds workers and such have no idea how this business works, so stop attempting to make bold statements about what MY business works....Lazeek, you have a customer...Go sell flooring..do that...LUFAN, the fries are burning....Stay out of this one, cause you have no idea what I can do.

Oh so now I am lumped in with fry cooks at Mickey D's!!!!!!!! ::) ::) ::)

I am having lunch with Roc tomorrow.............I will ask about your friendship and if he would consider having you as an assistant!!!!  I already know the answer!!!!!!

Guest DickVitale

Go ahead, NAME DROPPER.... ::) ::) And me and Phil Jackson are hanging out at Parkdale Mall around noon  8)....Lazeek, no one knows you dude... Are you gonna tell him how you bad mouth them on here? 8)..You are a FAN OF THE GAME..Stay in your place...and stop stalking Roc!!!

Guest DickVitale

Whatever dude!!! 8) See you guys later..I am about to go have lunch with Charles Barkley, Magic Johnson, Jackie Chan, Chris Tucker and AquaMan!!! :D :D :D

You are not making anywhere near what the LU job pays at a high school.. You need to get your mind right..  And look at you stereotyping...  Thinking I am country??? Why would you think that???  Man you are racist...  and even worse a hypocrite...  NO DECENT SCHOOL WOULD HIRE AN UNPROFESSIONAL A$$ like you... 

Guest DickVitale

I was talking about LSC-PA, you idiot, but since you mentioned it, how much do you think LU assistants make? You have no clue, just as I thought, jackass...I can put my paycheck up against YOURS AND THEIRS anyday, BOY...I am in no way a racist either..Not even a little bit....As far as that "decent" school hiring me, I got that call 2 months ago....Not only am I professional, but smart, qualified, and educated as well...Your worst nightmare.... ;)...Get back to flipping your burgers...boy.

I was talking about LSC-PA, you idiot, but since you mentioned it, how much do you think LU assistants make? You have no clue, just as I thought, jackass...I can put my paycheck up against YOURS AND THEIRS anyday, BOY...I am in no way a racist either..Not even a little bit....As far as that "decent" school hiring me, I got that call 2 months ago....Not only am I professional, but smart, qualified, and educated as well...Your worst nightmare.... ;)...Get back to flipping your burgers...boy.

You don't act professional judging by your post. A new user may mistake you for a 10 year old brat.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder