Congrats to Gary Stelly at KOGT!!!

Gary is a true friend and one of the best in the business. I have always said Orange County is so very lucky to have this guy around. I have known Gary for over five years now and I seriously do not know when this guy sleeps. Honestly there have been times where I was tired and I have thought of Gary and the hours he puts in every single day. Good job Gary and it has been a true pleasure working with you through the years. I am thrilled to know there will be many more to come.

P.S. Do these nice words get me off the hook for any cheap shots tomorrow?

Stelly to broadcast game No. 1,000

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — If you have paid any attention to Orange County high school sports since 1984, chances are you have heard Gary Stelly’s voice.

Stelly, owner and play-by-play announcer of KOGT, will call his 1,000th high school game tonight when the Bobcats play host to the West Orange-Stark Mustangs.

“No. 1, that says how old I am because that is a lot of games,†Stelly, a 1984 graduate of Orangefield High School, said. “No. 2, I am glad it is happening at Orangefield, where I went to school and where this all started. It is ironic to be doing No. 1,000 at my old school.â€

Stelly first broadcast high school games at KOGT in 1984.

Stelly was part of what he called “the second team.†Stelly would do play-by-play at a game on Friday night, record the game on cassette and air the game on Saturday mornings.

“I have seen a lot over the years,†Stelly added. “I wish I had taken better notes through the years because you seem to forget so much. I am sure there are many games I forget that would crack a Top 10 list.â€

Stelly has seen several state championships come through Orange County and also seen several local teams get real close in bringing home a title.

“I always say I wish we could have seen more state champions,†Stelly said. “Going to any championship game or state tournament in Austin is as much fun for us as it is for the kids who play in the games. It’s exciting all through the playoffs as you get closer and you start to realize you might have that chance.

“You get to know the players and coaches and people have become lifelong friends of mine through these sports. I consider myself a pretty lucky guy. I never took lessons in play-by-play but was always involved in sports and started to write sports when I was 15 for the Opportunity Valley News.â€

Stelly said his favorite part of sports was always the statistical side of athletics.

“That part of it came real easy,†he said. “I could quote stats and schedules off the top of my head. The play-by-play I worked myself into that. I then tried to create a style everyone could enjoy and keep audiences interested even if the game was not interesting. If the game is good, the play-by-play is easy. If the game is not interesting, that is when you really have to work.â€

According to KOGT’s website, Stelly bought KOGT in 1992. KOGT first went on air in 1948

Gary is a true friend and one of the best in the business. I have always said Orange County is so very lucky to have this guy around.

I second this Gabe. He does a great job broadcasting local high school sports and listening to him on air you can tell he really loves it. But what I appreciate more than anything is how much he cares for Orange County. Who else would have stayed behind during two hurricanes to stay on air to keep the people of Orange County informed of what was happening back home? Tremendous guy and I'm very glad to know him

I wonder how many of those 1000 I was umpiring ????  lol  been a bunch through the years but now he knows my wife likes to listen to a game on the internet if i am calling so he knows I have a spy in the sky  LOL. Geez maybe if I have time I will stop by the game and congratulate him. WTG Gary.

My Grandfather was a big sports fan, he lived to be 92 years of age. The last few years of his life when it was hard for him to get out he would listen to all the games on KOGT, so I will always be thankful to Gary for supplying my Grandfather and many others with great entertainment. Thanks Gary! from Larry Brister.

Congrats Gary, job well done. It was a pleasure getting to meet you at the 21-3A district track meet. I enjoy getting to listen to your broadcasts when I am not doing one myself. Very professional.

1000! Let's see, I only have 905 more to catch up. Problem is, Gary is still going!

(hard to believe I have done 95 broadcasts in 2 years for this site, it's been fun! But, at this rate, it will take me 18 more years to get that 1000)

95 already? Hmm maybe I need to start keeping up but I dont think ive done 95.

Yep, 95. When you do as much basketball as I do, it adds up. I have done as much as 4 basketball games in one day. Plus doing the baseball/softball games of the week the last two years helps to the count. I have done only 24 football games, the rest basketball and baseball/softball.

Thank goodness for Gary Stelly!! KOGT sports is the "ONLY MEDIA" in Orange County that gives every school a fair shot at coverage. Gary calls a great game and without a doubt doesn't suffer from being "starstruck" or have a "man-crush" on any particular program like some other local media outlets do. If I can't be at a game I look forward to hearing it broadcast on KOGT. Congrats and keep up the good work Gary!! 

Thank goodness for Gary Stelly!! KOGT sports is the "ONLY MEDIA" in Orange County that gives every school a fair shot at coverage. Gary calls a great game and without a doubt doesn't suffer from being "starstruck" or have a "man-crush" on any particular program like some other local media outlets do. If I can't be at a game I look forward to hearing it broadcast on KOGT. Congrats and keep up the good work Gary!! 

::)

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder